What's new

General/Other - Shaolin Kung Jin (Shaolin) Discussion Thread

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Anyone got any tips for the ninjutsu scorp match up? I've just finally started playing against a fundamentally strong scorp and my unfamiliarity with anything besides yolo tele scorpions is getting me killed. I know not to jump against him because of b2 but that out ranges all of my pokes and staying out of that range is a projectile battle and he can tele on reaction so I'm getting bodied I feel like. Any advice for future sets?
Keep your distance. Not full screen but like 3/4 cuz you can get them frustrated into teles. I don't have enough experience vs Ninjutsu to say much but that Def helps

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I think most of this is wrong because you don't take specific variations into consideration.

KJ loses to Piercing Mileena, Acidic Alien, and Imposter Shinnok.

Takeda isn't hard to play against with KJ, he's just hard to play against in general..that doesn't make it the 3rd hardest for KJ.

Acidic can u3 any aerials KJ tries to do, including divekick and jump ins, air acid takes out his aerial game completely.

And Piercing Mileena is piercing Mileena

Imposter only wins because tele and hellsparks. Can't get in, can't get out. If he could stay in his face without meter it'd be equal
You say most of my list is wrong yet only specifically point to a disagreement re Takeda, and even that wasn't really a disagreement. You seem to agree with other characters at the top of the list. And I specifically said in my post that I was not breaking it out by variation but instead looking at each character overall. That doesn't make it wrong.

FinalBoss_FGC

You say most of my list is wrong yet only specifically point to a disagreement re Takeda, and even that wasn't really a disagreement. You seem to agree with other characters at the top of the list. And I specifically said in my post that I was not breaking it out by variation but instead looking at each character overall. That doesn't make it wrong.
No, I said 3 of the top 6 were losing MUs. Alien being one. I didn't agree. Cage is harder to deal with than Takeda imho.

And KJ has harder time vs Ronin Takeda than SR or Lasher. So the variations are super important. Also, Jax needs to be higher up. Wrestler is probably top 5 difficult for KJ. Also, which variation of F/T? I'm playing Bio soon and I'll let you know but I have had relative ease with Lackey Torrs.

MKB_Thylurrr

Nooby McNoobface
Got some new corner combos to squeeze another 1% out of KJ. Works with any starter and I put the 221 starter in as this is the punish I use when people try to wake up and get out of the corner. I know it's not huge but any bit helps. I'll list them below. Hope these help anyone looking for some new corner BnB's
F24xxEXdb1-NJP-U1-11-iadk-34xxdb3-d4 = 33%
B12/4xxEXdb1-NJP-U1-11-iadk-34xxdb3-d4 = 33%
221xxEXdb1-NJP-U1-11-iadk-34xxdb3-d4 = 37%
Thx mate! Wasn´t aware of the U1 in corner combos.
But isn´t it possible to squeeze another 34 in?! Like: 221xxEXdb1-NJP-U1-11-34-iadk-34xxdb3-d4 instead of just 11-iadk?
My corner como is similar and also leads to 37%: 221xxEXdb1-NJP-11-34-iadk-34xxdb3-d4
Also saw it with another 34 after the first 34 to get 40%, but it´s tough to hit the iadk then...
Have 2 try it with U1 though.

MKB_Thylurrr

Nooby McNoobface
Anyone got any tips for the ninjutsu scorp match up? I've just finally started playing against a fundamentally strong scorp and my unfamiliarity with anything besides yolo tele scorpions is getting me killed. I know not to jump against him because of b2 but that out ranges all of my pokes and staying out of that range is a projectile battle and he can tele on reaction so I'm getting bodied I feel like. Any advice for future sets?
I also have troubles with the ninjitsu matchup. It takes away a lot of shaolins options. I play much more defensive, try to block right and punish. Oh, and don´t jump, just don´t. He can always jump teleport on reaction.. It´s really annoying but patience is key there, like against sub-zero grandmaster. But I still haven´t figured it out completely, so it would be really nice to hear some further suggestions from other shaolin players!

FinalBoss_FGC

Thx mate! Wasn´t aware of the U1 in corner combos.
But isn´t it possible to squeeze another 34 in?! Like: 221xxEXdb1-NJP-U1-11-34-iadk-34xxdb3-d4 instead of just 11-iadk?
My corner como is similar and also leads to 37%: 221xxEXdb1-NJP-11-34-iadk-34xxdb3-d4
Also saw it with another 34 after the first 34 to get 40%, but it´s tough to hit the iadk then...
Have 2 try it with U1 though.
Optimal damage is (starter)~low chakram, njp, 4~up arrow, 34 (11 for easier execution), iadk, 34~up kick, drop for 41%, 38% if you 11 instead of 34.
U1 scales worse than standing 4 and does same thing

Parasurama

Dragon
We know Shaolin is very heavily meter dependent. What is the best usage of meter? Breakers? Armor? Combos?
How much does everyone use the meter dependent 'vortex'? I can get about 44 percent, maybe more for one bar using it midscreen, and with 3 bars, the opponent have 10-15 percent health left, provided the opponent guesses wrong for every mixup. Although since Shaolin usually ends the combos in a hard knockdown, is it better just to go for damage everytime and rather go for oki?

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
We know Shaolin is very heavily meter dependent. What is the best usage of meter? Breakers? Armor? Combos?
How much does everyone use the meter dependent 'vortex'? I can get about 44 percent, maybe more for one bar using it midscreen, and with 3 bars, the opponent have 10-15 percent health left, provided the opponent guesses wrong for every mixup. Although since Shaolin usually ends the combos in a hard knockdown, is it better just to go for damage everytime and rather go for oki?
How do you get 44% for one bar?

FinalBoss_FGC

@Parasurama worry about using meter for armor and going for meterless damage. You do not really need to have the vortex unless you know that the first one will hit. You can also find yourself meaty mb low chakram to maybe catch them off guard as well. Using meter for the vortex is not what you want as your go-to when starter~up kick drop does high 20s and is safe on block

TheGoldenJew

PSN: The_Golden_Jew1
If they guess wrong twice... b12 ex chakram jip34 jip then f243 xx db3 and if near corner then you should get the d4 and the hdk.
Ok first off jip doesnt jail into a f2 that can be armored...second if ur going for a standing reset u need to use 11(32f hit adv)

Hey, do you have any match up tips against Shira Ryiu and Ronin Takeda? I face quite often with my Shaolin and I could not figure the match up out.
I know it is hard for kung jin as he can't really jump, teleports, good range tools, pressure.

I could not figure his teleport cancel out either it seems quite fast. Is it the same as Kung Jin Shaolin drop (without dropping KJ can hit immediately)? It seems that if he lands with cancel he attacks immediately (90% times poking).
Teleport alone is punishable but good players just cancel it. I could poke in when I started the move before he lands but of course if he does not cancel it hits me for full combo (if I block and he cancels I am already under his annoying pressure). Is that right that 50/50 for him?

Most Takeda players are getting close with fake teleport and when he starts his pressure I can't really do anything. I know the gap if I have the bar though (but with Shaolin it is just an escape without good damage. better than nothing).

Any help is welcome, thank you. I try to read about that too.

Last edited:

Arzumis

Noob
2 Questions
why do players almost never armor or backdash ex chakrams?

Whats the deal with the kung jin drop move in shaolin? Does it work like a rekka? is it punishable with no delay or something i dont understand how that works

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
2 Questions

Whats the deal with the kung jin drop move in shaolin? Does it work like a rekka? is it punishable with no delay or something i dont understand how that works
Because it jails on block in almost all circumstances meaning there isn't a gap to armour or backdash.

No, it doesn't work exactly like a rekka; it's always -7, but you can delay when the drop happens. This makes it risky to press a button in between leaving you free for them to get a d1/continued pressure afterwards. Either way it's essentially safe at all times.

Arzumis

Noob
Because it jails on block in almost all circumstances meaning there isn't a gap to armour or backdash.

No, it doesn't work exactly like a rekka; it's always -7, but you can delay when the drop happens. This makes it risky to press a button in between leaving you free for them to get a d1/continued pressure afterwards. Either way it's essentially safe at all times.
Hmm I did his 50/50 options into ex low chakrams and they always had a gap in them for me.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
2 Questions

I think it only has a gap with his oh/low strings. 111 & 221 is gapless... I think... Good point though. I don't think it's ever happened to me.

The upkick/drop move is -7 with non delayed drop and is gapless. If you delay the drop it is less negative but there is a gap to armor. If he just does the upkick without drop he's back at neutral once he lands but is vulnerable up until that.

I think it only has a gap with his oh/low strings. 111 & 221 is gapless... I think... Good point though. I don't think it's ever happened to me.

The upkick/drop move is -7 with non delayed drop and is gapless. If you delay the drop it is less negative but there is a gap to armor. If he just does the upkick without drop he's back at neutral once he lands but is vulnerable up until that.
I'm pretty sure 221 has a gap. Everytime I play a good Cassie she hits the ex nut punch to interrupt it. I'm not at home though so I'm not 100% sure

Darth Rambo

GT:DarthxXxRambo PSN:Darth__Rambo
The low chakram is a distance thing, only b12 b14 and f24 keep them close enough for them to armor