What's new

General/Other - Shaolin Kung Jin (Shaolin) Discussion Thread

Trustypatches

PSN: Boweeen, Twitch: rBoweeen
I see Shaolin as potential S tier in the beta build (thanks to nerfs of other characters, some of which I saw as potential bad MU's) so in short I would say no to any buffs other than fixes on some of his whiff issues.

With ex cartwheel, ex chakram, a great low starter and a fairly react-able oh, the character has more than enough ways to open someone up imo. Not to mention how rewarding his throw is, with how it effectively gives a guaranteed run up b1 midscreen on top of the 12%. I also think the character doesn't even need to open you up 100% of the time, seeing how many of his blockstrings into upkick shaolin drop do up to 7.13% chip and build half a bar while still remaining safe.

Personally I think that if this character could make you guess that much off of a 13 frame low with that much range it would be silly. With the 2 being an oh, the mixups would be: b12xx ex chakram, b1xx ex chakram, b12xx ex cartwheel and if there was any good fuzzy to deal with this something like b1xx ex cartwheel would still exist to mess with it. Also forgot to mention that the safe meterless option that does chip and builds bar (b12 xx upkick shoalin drop) would end up still being a mixup thanks to b12.

Last edited:

Trustypatches

From 111 or 221 it jails (although there is a gap in 221 string), and from the OH or Low string the chakram does not jail on return.
The chakram doesn't usually jail on return from the f24 (oh) string, however it is pretty range dependent. If you do f24 at further ranges it shouldn't have the gap on return. But yeah b12 xx ex chakram should always have a gap because of how advancing the 2 is.

Last edited:

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I see Shaolin as potential S tier in the beta build (thanks to nerfs of other characters, some of which I saw as potential bad MU's) so in short I would say no to any buffs other than fixes on some of his whiff issues.

With ex cartwheel, ex chakram, a great low starter and a fairly react-able oh, the character has more than enough ways to open someone up imo. Not to mention how rewarding his throw is, with how it effectively gives a guaranteed run up b1 midscreen on top of the 12%. I also think the character doesn't even need to open you up 100% of the time, seeing how many of his blockstrings into upkick shaolin drop do up to 7.13% chip and build half a bar while still remaining safe.

Personally I think that if this character could make you guess that much off of a 13 frame low with that much range it would be silly. With the 2 being an oh, the mixups would be: b12xx ex chakram, b1xx ex chakram, b12xx ex cartwheel and if there was any good fuzzy to deal with this something like b1xx ex cartwheel would still exist to mess with it. Also forgot to mention that the safe meterless option that does chip and builds bar (b12 xx upkick shoalin drop) would end up still being a mixup thanks to b12.
Yeah those points all make sense. I may just need to find ways to adjust my playstyle to be less predictable and have more success with F2 in particular, as well as ex cartwheel. F2 is an iffy tool when it comes to oki because it can be interrupted by so many different moves given the amount of startup that it has - I may just need to use it more after a j1 or j2 rather than as a starter by itself.

Trustypatches

Yeah those points all make sense. I may just need to find ways to adjust my playstyle to be less predictable and have more success with F2 in particular, as well as ex cartwheel. F2 is an iffy tool when it comes to oki because it can be interrupted by so many different moves given the amount of startup that it has - I may just need to use it more after a j1 or j2 rather than as a starter by itself.
There are more tools to use for opening people up other than his standard low/oh's anyway. + frames off late NJP is a good example that I've started using more recently. After his NJP at the latest point you can actually jail a d4, meaning it must be at least +9, though I'm sure someone has tested and knows if it's more. I often open people up for not respecting options after late njps. Personally I also like to throw a lot with Jin. s1 throw, throws off any kind of + frames and more. Just because of how run up b1 is near guaranteed after it. It will only be avoided by backdashes or armor.

Btw, be careful going for f2 off jump ins as it won't jail, leaving a gap that can be armored.

Last edited:

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Yeah idk why I said 3. Shows I never use that booboo move
I agree that having 24 be a popup for meterless damage, the string is fairly useless as is
There are more tools to use for opening people up other than his standard low/oh's anyway. + frames off late NJP is a good example that I've started using more recently. After his NJP at the latest point you can actually jail a d4, meaning it must be at least +9 though I'm sure someone has tested and knows if it's more. I often open people up for not respecting options after late njps.

Btw, be careful going for f2 off jump ins as it won't jail, leaving a gap that can be armored.
that's interesting about the late NJP, I will have to look into it further. In general I have been trying to use NJP less, because I tend to overuse it in the neutral and other situations when certain characters can punish it hard (but this is just the standard NJP, not really focusing on executing it late).

I'm aware of the gap with F2 after a jump in, but it seems to me to at least be one of the less reactable ways to implement F2 (e.g., rather than just running in and starting oki with F2). I don't often see people armor immediately after a ji1 or ji2, so maybe that's why it could be viable despite that gap.

Tweedy

Noob
Does anyone else think that plus frames off of NJPs is wack? I mean you're trying to launch someone for no meter, so you're plus? Not to mention some characters have great NJPs. Not even taking a shot at Jin, I actually hate his NJP. When I use him it whiffs, and I rage.

Trustypatches

Does anyone else think that plus frames off of NJPs is wack? I mean you're trying to launch someone for no meter, so you're plus? Not to mention some characters have great NJPs. Not even taking a shot at Jin, I actually hate his NJP. When I use him it whiffs, and I rage.
I think it is pretty stupid with Jin honestly, despite how it whiffs with air to airs. It covers so much range, and once he is in the air it is kind of hard to do anything but block with the threat of him letting it go at any point. Then you will end up blocking a late njp and are -9 or potentially -11. Though some characters deal with it a bit better, like Reptile and Lao have armor that can deal with it as soon they see you jumping straight up.

Other characters have it similar, for example Raiden's njp can be really overwhelming in the corner sometimes. (not saying to nerf one of his only good tools in the neutral lol)

Last edited:
KJ doesn't need more OH attacks... F3 by itself is really good and so is F2.

If you need more than that to open people up, you can just delay your low after oki (Woundcowboy is really good at doing this with Shinnok) or just go for a classic : D1 - walk back - B12

I think shaolin is perfect the way it is right now I just hope he doesn't get any nerds by the time xl comes out. I played some shaolin mirrors with @Crawlingshadow and I definitely picked up some dirty shit. Might already be known but I never saw it until I played him

zoofs

bless
you know it is our best anti-cross up right?
do you mean s2 in general or that full string

if the latter, no lol. S2 is a decent aa but d1/s1 also work completely fine on crossovers, d1 might even be better because it low profiles with a good hitbox

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
it depends on the char,Kj's NJP on it's way up is -16 on it's way down is +9.
Takeda's NJP on it's way up is safe,or maybe -8............fucker.

Tweedy

Noob
it depends on the char,Kj's NJP on it's way up is -16 on it's way down is +9.
Takeda's NJP on it's way up is safe,or maybe -8............fucker.
Good NJP's are incredibly hard to contest, so the fear of getting hit by a Quan, Raiden, or even a Kung Lao NJP, is going to stop you from contesting it before it becomes plus. For this reason, how minus they are on the way up is completely irrelevant imo.

stamatis

if the latter, no lol. S2 is a decent aa but d1/s1 also work completely fine on crossovers, d1 might even be better because it low profiles with a good hitbox
no,s2 is his best anti cross up.

stamatis

Good NJP's are incredibly hard to contest, so the fear of getting hit by a Quan, Raiden, or even a Kung Lao NJP, is going to stop you from contesting it before it becomes plus. For this reason, how minus they are on the way up is completely irrelevant imo.
i just mentioned the numbers,everything else is up to you.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew

have you been messing with shaolin?