What's new

General/Other - Shaolin Kung Jin (Shaolin) Discussion Thread

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
I assume most people here agree that this variation is now moot?
How? Ex low chakram hits once now on block (no gap) and is safe (-5) on block. You can still stagger up kick and drop, just quickly doing it for shits and gigs don't reward you anything and is punishable.. F2 normalized which is expected but is now -7, max range will hardly be punished by nonsliders.

Shaolin is top 5.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
How? Ex low chakram hits once now on block (no gap) and is safe (-5) on block. You can still stagger up kick and drop, just quickly doing it for shits and gigs don't reward you anything and is punishable.. F2 normalized which is expected but is now -7, max range will hardly be punished by nonsliders.

Shaolin is top 5.
a couple of those nerfs from -7 down to -24 are pretty damn significant tho

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Delay it. No more ex launchers so they won't get full combo off of armoring the drop.
yeah maybe I'll hold out hope, we'll see how it plays out. There is obviously no way to judge a single character in isolation here, it is all relative to the way the whole game has shifted.

Darth Rambo

GT:DarthxXxRambo PSN:Darth__Rambo
I think everything will be just fine. We just lost a little bit of chip, a few % in combos, and maybe follow up options on upkick/drop, any follow up after ex low chakram, and a few frames on f2. Unless even if you delay the drop you will always be -24 and full combo punishable. If thats the case then we lost alot.

Last edited:

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
Is ancestral gonna be the best now? Shaolin's variation specific tools are now less attractive. Safe fire arrows that end in hard knockdown?

xGunShow

Toronto, Canada @GunShowXO
Although Shaolin will still be good, Ancestral definitely has my interest. Played it a ton this past week and see a lot of potential in it + it got a couple of nice changes. Will be sure to look further into it and experiment more once the patch drops!

JesterSMX

Ancestral is safe and plus all day. Lost hard knockdown on fire arrows but frame data looks promising.

Darth Rambo

The pushback on drop is so fat, they tried to nerf it but slightly buffed it. It gets less damage and is tighter in certain anti air combos. But the drop shenanigans are even better now

Masta

Noob
did you find a way to connect the shaolin drop in your bnb without losing too much damage? it doesnt connect entirely in these combos : 221xxEXDB1 jip 3 divekick xx run 34 DB3D4 and 221xxEXDB1 jip 2xxDivekick njp xx run 34 DB3D4

Trustypatches

PSN: Boweeen, Twitch: rBoweeen
Just came back after ages and finding shaolin drop won't connect in old bnb's now. This just me forgetting everything after not playing or did they unintentionally change upkick/shaolin drop on hit now as a side effect of changing it?

JesterSMX

Drop can be backdashed and full combo punished thu..if ur only option is to delay it cant they alway backdash it into punish now?
Once everyone figures it out the mixup is over. Upkick/elbow drop is now just an ender imo. Every time I tried to use it to get around zoning I was blocked and punished(I could just be rusty). I don't know but it looks like they made KJ a matchup character. He can still get the job done but every variation is matchup dependent. Shaolin, Bojutsu, Ancestral all seem brand new.

Masta

Noob
Just came back after ages and finding shaolin drop won't connect in old bnb's now. This just me forgetting everything after not playing or did they unintentionally change upkick/shaolin drop on hit now as a side effect of changing it?
i cant find a way to connect properly shaolin drop kick in a full punish bnb...

Once everyone figures it out the mixup is over. Upkick/elbow drop is now just an ender imo. Every time I tried to use it to get around zoning I was blocked and punished(I could just be rusty). I don't know but it looks like they made KJ a matchup character. He can still get the job done but every variation is matchup dependent. Shaolin, Bojutsu, Ancestral all seem brand new.
Thats what i figured out , and now i play the three variations, its fun, but it sucks competitively

Darth Rambo

did you find a way to connect the shaolin drop in your bnb without losing too much damage? it doesnt connect entirely in these combos : 221xxEXDB1 jip 3 divekick xx run 34 DB3D4 and 221xxEXDB1 jip 2xxDivekick njp xx run 34 DB3D4
You have to run farther and drop asap, air to air combos can only be ended in drop if you dont use a divekick to link otherwise it wont connect. It is very tight using ji3 after ex chakram, seems as if the dive kick has to be used on a grounded opponent for drop to connect consistently.

Last edited:

Darth Rambo

Drop can be backdashed and full combo punished thu..if ur only option is to delay it cant they alway backdash it into punish now?
it all depends on when you decide to drop, if you are dropping at the same time everytime they will get the timing down on when to backdash. If they miss time their backdash then the drop will catch them. You dont have to fully delay it everytime to be safe. Also if they backdash on the first available frame (which they will be doing if they are mashing it os style) you just time your drop to hit after their invincibility frames are up, everyones backdash is different so the timing will be different on when you need to drop. NOTE: if a kano player is backdashing you then do an empty upkick, i literally cant hit kano out of his godlike backdash.

Last edited:

Darth Rambo

Upkick/drop feels very inconsistent when used after a divekick on an air bourne opponent. @CoRzus have you found anything in regards to this?