What's new

General/Other - Shaolin Kung Jin (Shaolin) Discussion Thread

There's a Bojutsu thread and a Ancestral thread but not a Shaolin thread. What's up with that? But anyway, I really like this variation of Kung Jin. Hopefully there is some tech that can be shared in this thread.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
f3~low chakram on wakeup is hella dirty

Ending block strings with up divekick to down divekick is also sweet.

Exactly. I love ending combos with that but it's tough to get that midscreen though. you gotta run cancel at the precise moment. But f+3~low chakran? hmm...i'll have to try that. You can get a legit 50/50 in the corner though if you cancel a string into chakram

This variation is hella fun to play. I love doing 221 just for the sound effect its so chunky. Also this has nothing to do with Shaolin but I was playing earlier and you know how sometimes you end a round in the corner and you're doing your winpose literally right your opponent's face? I witnessed Kung Jin casually torch Tanya's face and she just stood there like "k bro" lmao

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
how strong is kung jin, new to mkx fighting games, tried kenshi, love his moves but is slow, love liu kang but his moves can be hard to pull of, i hear kung jin is easy and effective

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
and which is his best variation, love liu kang but his moves for contact need percise timing, can beat ai on medium w/o lifing a finger, go online and get whoopled i have 34 wins in a day, but felt could of had more, the players that played fair, no xray not cheap throws just played solid spec move kom, i held my own, my real problem was corner, kept missing the multiple juggles due to timing love lk but to percise to connect and have to have really fast hand speed, iam 52 yrs old and reflexes not what they were, will kung jin be good for me, love this game but getting frustratted, and yes i spent 2 months in training room, not just attacking a defensless ai i did custom, blocking, reversals and so on, it not a matter of putting my time in thanks for any input

how strong is kung jin, new to mkx fighting games, tried kenshi, love his moves but is slow, love liu kang but his moves can be hard to pull of, i hear kung jin is easy and effective
Kung Jin is really good and I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how unpredictable he can be compared to Liu Kang and Kenshi because he can throw in a low or overhead in almost any situation. He is a space control character with sweet pressure because of his range, Shaolin is better at controlling the far range while Bojutsu is strong up close. I don't recommend Ancestral, it seems to lack heavily.

People say Kung Jin is easy because he can hit confirm very smoothly with Bojutsu (most people play Bojutsu) either with the bow swing or dive kick. His execution can be a little difficult online if you're doing optimal combos but for 2-4% less damage you can make them really easy. Off any launcher just do a divekick, b2,1-special (bo spin if Bojutsu). Landed a neutral jump punch? Do a dive kick then b2,1,special. Landed bo swing? Same thing. The timing is fairly paced as well.

Most people would agree his best variation is Bojutsu because of the armored launcher and much higher damage than the other two variations.

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
thanks, who do you think is better to play for me, never played mk before, my only problem is i have put the time into the lab and not just hitting a stand still dummy, i know liu k kombos, have have grid charts for what normal moves cancel into spec moves , wathced utube for massive special move kombos, i have properly learned how to tech block and reversals and wake ups, getting down the breaker, i just have a hard time on single player with hard mode, wont even touch very hard, do not want to establish bad technique but button mashing at will, and on line i have 32 wins in ranked, of which none of the wins i did not do xray to help win, i am just having a hard time actually performing the skills i have learned, how do i get better, is it just time, i can do a 20-25 percent damage string but beyond that i get very over whelmed, scott

thanks, who do you think is better to play for me, never played mk before, my only problem is i have put the time into the lab and not just hitting a stand still dummy, i know liu k kombos, have have grid charts for what normal moves cancel into spec moves , wathced utube for massive special move kombos, i have properly learned how to tech block and reversals and wake ups, getting down the breaker, i just have a hard time on single player with hard mode, wont even touch very hard, do not want to establish bad technique but button mashing at will, and on line i have 32 wins in ranked, of which none of the wins i did not do xray to help win, i am just having a hard time actually performing the skills i have learned, how do i get better, is it just time, i can do a 20-25 percent damage string but beyond that i get very over whelmed, scott
My philosophy is just play who you have the most fun with, or you can play all 3 equally which is not much at all. Don't sweat the combos too much for now. I know plenty of good players who just do 15% at a time. I don't know much about Liu Kang but with Kenshi you can just do rising karma into tele-flurry if you play balanced. An easy 30% punish for Shaolin Kung Jin is 2,2,1 x EN bf+1 - 2,2,1 x db+3 - d4. You mentioned that this is your first fighting game and you've already looked at a lot of the in-depth mechanics of MKX so I believe you're on the right track. You probably just need a lot more practice. Combos will come out at ease with muscle memory,.

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
My philosophy is just play who you have the most fun with, or you can play all 3 equally which is not much at all. Don't sweat the combos too much for now. I know plenty of good players who just do 15% at a time. I don't know much about Liu Kang but with Kenshi you can just do rising karma into tele-flurry if you play balanced. An easy 30% punish for Shaolin Kung Jin is 2,2,1 x EN bf+1 - 2,2,1 x db+3 - d4. You mentioned that this is your first fighting game and you've already looked at a lot of the in-depth mechanics of MKX so I believe you're on the right track. You probably just need a lot more practice. Combos will come out at ease with muscle memory,.
thanks for the reply scott r

Long time lurker but newly signed up poster, but I've been mostly using the shaolin variation of kung jin after wanting to try something new after bojustu...it's a few major differences I've found out after hours finding out tech in the gym.

Meter usage...this is without question the most meter heavy variation

Damage needs a buff on the extended mb chakram combos (and when I say extended I mean anything more than your first string plus mb chakram) from all of the matches that I have ran I just really don't find it necessary to extend the combo when the damage output is only gonna result a few more percent. Especially with him being so meter dependent in this variation to get combos that are over 6 hits.

Other than the damage gripe I've really grown found of using this variation of him for the zoning tools that are added along with the up kick to close distance. Also the the mixups that are added by not knowing if you are gonna throw out the chakram

On to the combos I've found though...

Low Starters:
b12 or b14 mb db1 njp divekick b21 db3 d4

Overhead:
f24 mb bf1 (low chakram puts them to far away to land a njp before dk) njp dk b21 db3 d4

221 mb db1 njp dk b21 db3 d4
111 or 112 mb db1 njp dk b21 db3 d4
(Note: these set of combos can be mixed up after the dk with either b21 2+4,b21 db4, f24 bf3, 4 db1, 4 bf3, run cancel 34 bf3 / run cancel 34 db1,bf1 or you can mb to draw them them back in close to you)

Some "trickery" stuff I've found using what the poster about said about the f3 low chak is...f3 mb low chak run cancel 343 bf 3....also you can d4 mb low chak run cancel starter njp dk finisher.

The highest midscreen I've found is...221,112,b214 mb low chak run cancel 4 mb low chak njp dk finisher this only nets you about 36-37%.

Got a new midscreen one 221 mb low chak b214 mb low chak dk 343 bf3 this does 38%
corner 40% 221 mb low chak 4 mb low chak njp u1 dk 343 bf3

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Got a new midscreen one 221 mb low chak b214 mb low chak dk 343 bf3 this does 38%
corner 40% 221 mb low chak 4 mb low chak njp u1 dk 343 bf3
Using two bars in one combo is not recommended at all. He can do 36% off of 221 mid screen with one bar and 39% in the corner. He's not about high damage anyway he's about keeping your opponent guessing using various resets into fast 50/50s and then utilizing keep away and hit and run pressure using upkick.

After seeing how well I did at CEO this past weekend in casuals/team tournies/tournament itself, I can safely say Shaolin is by far his best variation. Overall it just has more tools to deal with more situations than Bojutsu.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Using two bars in one combo is not recommended at all. He can do 36% off of 221 mid screen with one bar and 39% in the corner. He's not about high damage anyway he's about keeping your opponent guessing using various resets into fast 50/50s and then utilizing keep away and hit and run pressure using upkick.

After seeing how well I did at CEO this past weekend in casuals/team tournies/tournament itself, I can safely say Shaolin is by far his best variation. Overall it just has more tools to deal with more situations than Bojutsu.
Good stuff. I have recently made the switch to Shaolin also (reserving Bojutsu for certain matchups). I find it much more fun against characters such as Kitana - if you can get one low chakram in amidst her constant fans, it often gives you just enough time to rush in for pressure.

I'm not sure yet how it fares (as compared to Bojutsu) against teleport-heavy characters - against those characters I am often hesitant to throw too many chakrams for fear of getting blown up by a teleport combo on read. I have felt more comfortable in those matchups just using Bojutsu, baiting and blocking the teleport, and punishing with ex DB3, etc.

Do you have any video of your recent shaolin matchups?

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew

Just a couple from our local. Havent found the vid of my pool's Winner's Finals match against DJT on YT yet. We have a local that's streamed every Wednesday at twitch.tv/vsgc if you wanna check out more of me using Shaolin.
Hype stuff bro! you are hereby designated as managing member of the #kungjinkrew

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
In practice mode I've set Cassie to do reversal MB flipkick in between MB low chakram hits. Sometimes she is able to armor through, sometimes she is not...and it doesn't look to be distance or stance related. Can someone else test this?

Same thing happens if I use MB Chakram

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
In practice mode I've set Cassie to do reversal MB flipkick in between MB low chakram hits. Sometimes she is able to armor through, sometimes she is not...and it doesn't look to be distance or stance related. Can someone else test this?

Interesting - I have not tested that but it would be good to know.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Y

You can armor through, but it's distance related and unreliable. Usually better to block the whole thing since it leaves you at 0 anyway.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Do you think it is appropriate to label MB chakram (or MB low chakram) as a vortex? It's obviously no Quan Chi trance, but it certainly seems to have some properties of a vortex.