What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Who does everyone think are kitana's strongest and weakest MUs rn?
I play fan-fare

Cant justify "strongest" and "weakest" in my experience but here are some mus I struggle in:

Vs Raiden is.... depressing lol. I feel like his tools are just a cut above hers in the mu so he can be tricky, and even if I wanted to be lame/ defensive.... He can do that better too lol. Mb Horizontal lighting projectile is 0 on block from full screen so it's not like I can contest my fans with that. Vertical lighting recovers in time where i can either throw fans or cover some ground but his walk speed/ tele makes me feel almost obsolete lmao. Her jump is better! But oh wait his aa's and conversions are demi-God like. His shimmy pressure is just as good if not slightly better I'm constantly afraid to poke/ check... and he has cancels.. wahhhhh lmao. (And yet still fuck highborn).

Jacqui. Literally. Removes. My mobility. Yeah she literally has a run button compared to kitanas atrocious walk speed on top of the fact jumping anywhere is risky as kitana. Kitana is sitting bait for Jacqui to get her disgusting pressure started. My only saving grace are my pokes/ checks up close/ mid range but usually I'm terrified to press anything other than crouch block lmao.

Baraka, Kung Lao, and Kabal can sashay away even though its probably even. Reason being each of them has something I feel makes more sense for Kitana to have and I'm a salty bitch about it lol.

Fuck you Scorpion (even)

Kano can literally choke on his own urine. Omg what a mashing nightmare.

Oh and fuck you too Sonya (also probably even)

I think kitana slightly beats Geras, Kotal, Shao, and Kollector. I cant think of more rn.

Rest are even

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
So i've been experimenting with MB fan as a combo ender in the corner and I encourage you all to try it.

Basically I noticed that the opponent gets off the ground faster for some reason, giving you enough time to enforce a short hop mixup. This seems VERY strong with highborne.

Your options are as followed:
U3 - Overhead
Empty Short Hop into B34 (Low)
Empty Short Hop into Throw (Unblockable but can be ducked, beats wakeup roll)
Neutral Jump 3, beats invincible wakeup option and leads to INSANE meterless damage (over 40%)
Empty Short Hop into S2 for plus frames (When you have them conditioned or they can't wakeup, can go into stagger pressure, throw, or another short hop mixup).
Empty Short Hop into Block (Lets you bait out a wakeup attack and punish.)
Walk Back (reset corner offense, score a KB off 142 if they poke or wakeup.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Well I know what I’m labbing when I get home! :D

What would be the optimal damage route from the neutral jump 3 option if you’re using Fan-Fare?

Imperor

My Game's Always So Fast, So Fine
On the subject of Highborne, aside from bigger damage cashout what makes the variation good? How would you use the sais aside from set up for the KB?

On the subject of Highborne, aside from bigger damage cashout what makes the variation good? How would you use the sais aside from set up for the KB?
Interesting. In general, I find Highborn has less damage output than Fan-Fare. It has better zoning/space control, and different mobility options with Drop Kick. I've been experimenting with using Edenian Razor as an ender when your string is blocked, and it's actually working well, depending on how the Fans whirl around.

DarksydeDash

Well I know what I’m labbing when I get home! :D

What would be the optimal damage route from the neutral jump 3 option if you’re using Fan-Fare?
I would say.. 32, lift, J3, b14, fan, 12, AMP ASS
Interesting. In general, I find Highborn has less damage output than Fan-Fare. It has better zoning/space control, and different mobility options with Drop Kick. I've been experimenting with using Edenian Razor as an ender when your string is blocked, and it's actually working well, depending on how the Fans whirl around.
Highborne is literally about zoning and setting up.. Well, setplay. Lets say you managed to have your opponent eat 3 sai tosses, now you have the KB loaded. Now lets say they are cornered and you bait the wakeup with a successful punish, you cash out with a df2 ender and score 48%. The comeback factor is basically non-existent for them now.

But as great as this sounds, if Highborne can't land those three sai tosses, or can't even get your opponent to the corner, this gameplan falls through. Part of fanfare's strength is good damage midscreen woth great corner carry, and once you're in the corner, she still gets 30% no bar with good oki.

Meanwhile, Highborne is super reliant on B34 and throws. But if you fight an opponent who almost always techs forward, you throw them out of the corner and you are now back to where you started.

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
If any players want to practice Kitana hmu on PSN. She's my weakest character and I want to get better with her. I have a headset

Imperor

My Game's Always So Fast, So Fine
I would say.. 32, lift, J3, b14, fan, 12, AMP ASS
Highborne is literally about zoning and setting up.. Well, setplay. Lets say you managed to have your opponent eat 3 sai tosses, now you have the KB loaded. Now lets say they are cornered and you bait the wakeup with a successful punish, you cash out with a df2 ender and score 48%. The comeback factor is basically non-existent for them now.

But as great as this sounds, if Highborne can't land those three sai tosses, or can't even get your opponent to the corner, this gameplan falls through. Part of fanfare's strength is good damage midscreen woth great corner carry, and once you're in the corner, she still gets 30% no bar with good oki.

Meanwhile, Highborne is super reliant on B34 and throws. But if you fight an opponent who almost always techs forward, you throw them out of the corner and you are now back to where you started.
So it's just dependent on who you are fighting? See I like that. That's more how MKX was with their variations. Thank you for explaining it for me.

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
So I figured with Shang Tsung on the horizon, I might as well learn at least a BnB with every character and their krushing blows. I was going through Kitana's moves list. What does her low fan do on amplify? It looked like the motion would parry an incoming projectile but it doesn't. Not sure what it's for.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
So I figured with Shang Tsung on the horizon, I might as well learn at least a BnB with every character and their krushing blows. I was going through Kitana's moves list. What does her low fan do on amplify? It looked like the motion would parry an incoming projectile but it doesn't. Not sure what it's for.
I don’t use it myself, but I’d have to imagine it’s for punishment mixups on block.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
The Amp low fan is just a close range mid attack. It allows you to cancel strings into low fan and then the opponent must guess/read if you will Amp or not when trying to punish it. It doesn’t lead to big damage on hit or anything, but it does allow you to keep your offense going when it hits. If the opponent guesses right, they can full combo punish. I find that low fan works really well with Edenian Twist and Ground War because you can mixup low or overhead at any point in your strings.

Basic BnB’s. Starters = 12, b14, or b231 into fan lift then:

• Jump in 2, jump in 2, 12~quick execution/Amp ass
  • jump in 2, b14 (or 32)~ quick execution/Amp ass
  • dash, jump in 3, dash, f2222

DarksydeDash

so I found something that is extremely triggering.. Gutted doesn't hit grounded females for some reason so you lose lots of repositioning in Highborne

so I found something that is extremely triggering.. Gutted doesn't hit grounded females for some reason so you lose lots of repositioning in Highborne
Interesting. I don't recall any issues with Gutted connecting. Quick Execution whiffs on females in strings all the time though; so much so that I barely use it as Highborn.

gibster13

A fan of fans
I'm getting really hard expletive annoyed about Kitana's b231 whiffing when an opponent randomly jumps or does a move, then the opponent getting a full combo

A real match with it happening twice in a row below

I'm getting really hard expletive annoyed about Kitana's b231 whiffing when an opponent randomly jumps or does a move, then the opponent getting a full combo

THIS happens to me all the time and is infuriating ......especially since its like her only real combo I use besides the occasional Forward 234

gibster13

A fan of fans
On a real, I feel Kitana is pretty "meh" and the tier lists I've seen are placing her slightly too high.

It may be because literally all those in S S- A+ are soooo superior ?

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero

It looks like you're hitting them right as they're jumping?

HapHaxion

"Knowledge" - Taio Cruz
On a real, I feel Kitana is pretty "meh" and the tier lists I've seen are placing her slightly too high.

It may be because literally all those in S S- A+ are soooo superior ?
I mean in this game, meh characters still aren't even that bad. Even "low-tiers" like D'Vorah have been seeing more play recently. Unlike previous games, the characters aren't completely unviable at the bottom. They're much harder to use and win with, but not totally unusable. In this game "bottom-tier" is like B tier, which is still within the realm of viability