What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Ahmad

Noob
They didn't nerf anything (after the initial patch in April), the reddit post is wrong. The "before" gif is from April 28. Here is a video from May 9 showing that it has basically always been 365 damage:

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
As a Highborn player, the only changes I'd want to see right now is:

• Seeking Sai does not disapper mid-flight if you get hit (once the projectile is properly out)
  • A little more consistency with Edenian Razor
  • Amplified Fan Throw is a Mid
If they wanted to allow her to more traditionally kombo off Fan Throws, I wouldn't argue either.
I also wish every move out of highborn had a KB. 3 dive kicks for a sai KB, 3 Fan Uppercut for a dive kick KB or something like that. Even better would being able to amplify db4,1 for a pop up lol

If sai are going to keep disappearing if you get hit they need to be overhead

Elias6999

Mournful Master
Can we discuss her shit abilities? Kitana is my eternal main, but holy shit the projectile absorb is so crap, its sooooo slow and the buff lasts for a second, not to mention any multi hitting projectile destroys it.

Dancing fans is horrible, there’s no actual application to it, and you lose the fan toss!

Her Mileena stance is good, especially the teleport, but the seeking sai is laughably bad, you can punish it on reaction anytime anywhere lol.

And edenian razors is so damn inconsistent, D1s can beat it lololol.

Why does the fan lift ability destroy your combos too? That makes 0 sense.

Also the only midscreen bnb that i can consistently pull off is starter - fan lift ji2 12df2. Is that way below the optimal combo? I can’t really land the 2 Ji2s, need some advice on doing that.

Also the only midscreen bnb that i can consistently pull off is starter - fan lift ji2 12df2. Is that way below the optimal combo? I can’t really land the 2 Ji2s, need some advice on doing that.
You can also do a B1,4 ~ DF2 instead of the jump punches.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Can we discuss her shit abilities? Kitana is my eternal main, but holy shit the projectile absorb is so crap, its sooooo slow and the buff lasts for a second, not to mention any multi hitting projectile destroys it.

Dancing fans is horrible, there’s no actual application to it, and you lose the fan toss!

Her Mileena stance is good, especially the teleport, but the seeking sai is laughably bad, you can punish it on reaction anytime anywhere lol.

And edenian razors is so damn inconsistent, D1s can beat it lololol.

Why does the fan lift ability destroy your combos too? That makes 0 sense.

Some of her abilities need attention. Royal protection needs to actually be useful, and Edenian Razors needs consistency for sure. Seeking Sai, I’ve noticed, is a design choice across the board as other characters with similar “traps” function the same way. Fan-nado destroys combos because it becomes a footsie tool and IIRC 14~lift still works. Dancing Fans changes fan toss into a mid — you just have to judge distance. There’s some potential there as a zoning tool.

As far as combos go, the trick to landing the two jump in 2’s is to do the first one late/deep and the second one instantly as you jump. But if you want the best route, go b231~lift, jump in 3, f2~df2.

honk

Noob
Yes that would give her some utility.

Wish her low fan was in her first variation tbh

EDIT

My variation would be

square wave
low fan
air fan

thoughts ?

I cannot free myself getting always caught to compare her moves and special moves with the rest of the roster. All that kitana has...has someone else too but a better version. Kinda frustrating.

I would like to stick to a char which I like and not one just to win.

It feels like that each char has been created by a different person at NRS but no one talking each other. At the end all chars were put together and game was released. Having that unbalanced mess.

gitblame

Noob
I tested some of ther other abilities the other day. I am not huge fan (he he) of her other abilities. When I tried to put out the best kustom variation I would use, I ended up using Fan fare and switching her parry for something else like low fan, air to ground fan or upward fan for a little better combos. I think if her parry would be better I would use fan-fare even if kustom were allowed.

honk

Noob
I tested some of ther other abilities the other day. I am not huge fan (he he) of her other abilities. When I tried to put out the best kustom variation I would use, I ended up using Fan fare and switching her parry for something else like low fan, air to ground fan or upward fan for a little better combos. I think if her parry would be better I would use fan-fare even if kustom were allowed.
I Think either low fan or endian twist makes sense just to give her mix up options or just please make royal protection useable.

The need to have ground war equipped to use square wave without airborne feels like a slap in the face. Square wave is difficult enough. Heavily punishable and average damage. The crushing blow requirements are also difficult. See Jacquis forward change. For her it is enough to be on max range to trigger KB.

Rozalin1780

I would trade Flutter or Royal Protection for Edenian Twist in a heartbeat. Not only do you get an overhead special and better meterless combo ender that doesn't switch sides, but it also functions as a pseudo-divekick.

If/when they create a tournament variation that incorporates Edenian Twist, I sure hope it's not the preset already in the game that includes Edenian Razors. That would be... eh...

Rozalin1780

What if we could keep royal protection until she throws a fan?
Are we talking the buff remains until you throw a fan (i.e. all other fan-based attacks receive the benefit but don't "consume" the buff)? Or are we talking a one-time damage increase to any fan-based attack? In either case, it would at least then be worthwhile to use it because as it stands, it is the single worst counter-zoning ability in the game.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Are we talking the buff remains until you throw a fan (i.e. all other fan-based attacks receive the benefit but don't "consume" the buff)? Or are we talking a one-time damage increase to any fan-based attack? In either case, it would at least then be worthwhile to use it because as it stands, it is the single worst counter-zoning ability in the game.
yeah she'd basically have a damage buff until she throws a fan or triggers a KB. I think that's a fair trade off.

Rozalin1780

yeah she'd basically have a damage buff until she throws a fan or triggers a KB. I think that's a fair trade off.
I agree that it would be a fair trade. It then stops being a counter-zoning tool and becomes a triggered buff at which point the Kitana player would still have to get in versus a zoner without throwing fans to reap the benefits. Basically a triggered Sharpen. I like Sharpen. :D

I like this idea. Gives weight to choosing Royal Protection instead of it feeling like nothing more than a "variation handicap".

DarksydeDash

I agree that it would be a fair trade. It then stops being a counter-zoning tool and becomes a triggered buff at which point the Kitana player would still have to get in versus a zoner without throwing fans to reap the benefits. Basically a triggered Sharpen. I like Sharpen. :D

I like this idea. Gives weight to choosing Royal Protection instead of it feeling like nothing more than a "variation handicap".
I just feel like the buff needs to last longer, but the parry needs to be better or at least give us a reason to do it. So this is my answer to that without being lazy like "let us hold down the parry"

Kitana Needs
  1. Damage Buffs
  2. Fan conversions

I'm just a casual, but even i think that might be taking it too far. I'd probably like to see the fan conversions over the damage buffs, but both might put her in the OP zone. If they want to keep her playstyle the way it is, then add the buffs, otherwise bring back the fan conversions.

Changing either will work for me. But a few other tweaks would be nice as well. Mid 2nd hit Amp fan toss, being able to hold Royal Protection and/or at least double the time that the RP buff is active would be nice. It might actually make it a little useful then. And would somewhat negate the need for any overall damage buffs.

or this:
What if we could keep royal protection until she throws a fan?
I like this idea. You don't lose it in an instant as it is now, and forces you to go in to make use of the buff, so there's a nice risk/reward.

Last edited:

Rozalin1780

Who does everyone think are kitana's strongest and weakest MUs rn?
I’m still getting MU’s down before I form a definitive opinion, but Skarlet is definitely a contender for worst MU. Best MU is probably either of the Kahns. Possibly Frost since you can duck some of her mids that others can’t. I feel like there isn’t many MU’s that feel like a free win or automatic loss. MKX had several of those.

honk

Noob
How about we get our old fan combos back??
I dont think that NRS really thought about the consequences about making recovery slower from throwing fans. They original intention was just to make fan combos harder or even impossible but this also makes kitana the worst zoner in the game.
In most all zoner battles kitana lose. When both opponents throw their projectiles at once or kitana even a bit sooner... kitana gets always because her recovery is that bad.

Next situation... kitana throws a fan and opponent jumps...kitana will never recover in time and get kicked.

Next situation... opponent jumps and kitana throws an Amp Fan... second fan will almost always since whiff since first fan keeps opponent in air and 2nd one flys under opponent. See other Amp versions of other chars projectiles like Sonya or Baraka... you will get hit by both projectiles

Despite this and the fact that 2nd fan is also high makes Amp Fan crappy as well and kitana the worst zoner.

I really would like to understand NRS intention behind kitana design... it feels like they didn't thought their ideas till the end. Most of their tools are so useless in current meta.

DarksydeDash

Sub Zero is the worst one. F4 can't be punished by Flawless block, slide goes under fans on reaction, his damage from three slides due to the KB is also very brutal. In the corner it's a wrap.

It's not any better in Highborne either.

honk

Noob
Sub Zero is the worst one. F4 can't be punished by Flawless block, slide goes under fans on reaction, his damage from three slides due to the KB is also very brutal. In the corner it's a wrap.

It's not any better in Highborne either.

True but this feels normal. Kitana had also a hard MU against Sub back in MKX so it's okay :p