What's new

A l i

[TAS]
Greetings Dear Kombatants!
So i have been playing Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Competitively and i have some questions about layout ideas, and controllers. I have been using keyboard all my life. Before i discovered online 2 years ago, my layout was standart sega controller on keyboard WASD 123456 after discovering online and dugging deeper, i changed my layout into a Hitbox like one with some differences. Now this is what my current set up looks like:

Buttons with blue colors are some doubles for specific situations or characters.

Now this is basically a hitbox layout. Now i know in this forum there are players that played this game before i was even born so surely someone must know something i don't. If anyone have any tips or suggestions about what should i add or change then please, it is greatly appreciated.

Now to the subject of controller, i have a Corsair K60 Low Profile CX Speed keyboard which is very good for fast response and etc, but i was wondering if Hitbox has any other advantage like button response or something that would make it worth switching. All answers would be greatly appreciated. Cheers! :)

MRIGOTBASS

Greetings Dear Kombatants!
So i have been playing Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Competitively and i have some questions about layout ideas, and controllers. I have been using keyboard all my life. Before i discovered online 2 years ago, my layout was standart sega controller on keyboard WASD 123456 after discovering online and dugging deeper, i changed my layout into a Hitbox like one with some differences. Now this is what my current set up looks like:

View attachment 18837

Buttons with blue colors are some doubles for specific situations or characters.

Now this is basically a hitbox layout. Now i know in this forum there are players that played this game before i was even born so surely someone must know something i don't. If anyone have any tips or suggestions about what should i add or change then please, it is greatly appreciated.

Now to the subject of controller, i have a Corsair K60 Low Profile CX Speed keyboard which is very good for fast response and etc, but i was wondering if Hitbox has any other advantage like button response or something that would make it worth switching. All answers would be greatly appreciated. Cheers! :)
You have multiple buttons mapped to certain inputs?

A l i

[TAS]
You have multiple buttons mapped to certain inputs?
No, what you are referring to is called BIND basically mapping two different inputs to one button like :Up+Hk to W; and etc. What i use is doubles. One action to multiple buttons like LK for example: I use extra LK on the left pinky finger for example to hold charge of Canonball of Kano, or groundpound of Jax so i can comfortably start HK combos with my right hand

MRIGOTBASS

No, what you are referring to is called BIND basically mapping two different inputs to one button like :Up+Hk to W; and etc. What i use is doubles. One action to multiple buttons like LK for example: I use extra LK on the left pinky finger for example to hold charge of Canonball of Kano, or groundpound of Jax so i can comfortably start HK combos with my right hand
Lol this is what is commonly referred to as cheating in the USA and would never be allowed at a tournament, you get 1 button mapped to an input not multiple buttons. Im really not sure why anyone would think that going from the original game with a joystick and 6 buttons to a keyboard with multiple keys assigned to the same input, no socd cleaning is acceptable, lol i guess it is if the whole country does it.This is the exact type of bullshit I have always said this game has devulged into now and why online MK will never be on the up and up. Since @nwo is the code master he really should block out the ability in mame to do this, even know the Z’s would just use a third party software to precombine the inputs premame.

Unreal

A l i

[TAS]
Lol this is what is commonly referred to as cheating in the USA and would never be allowed at a tournament, you get 1 button mapped to an input not multiple buttons. Im really not sure why anyone would think that going from the original game with a joystick and 6 buttons to a keyboard with multiple keys assigned to the same input, no socd cleaning is acceptable, lol i guess it is if the whole country does it.This is the exact type of bullshit I have always said this game has devulged into now and why online MK will never be on the up and up. Since @nwo is the code master he really should block out the ability in mame to do this, even know the Z’s would just use a third party software to precombine the inputs premame.

Unreal
There are some basic moves of characters like Mileena which would be impossible to do without double of HP thus making the character very weak.This is also not cheating but skill, if opponent uses more fingers, it makes it actually more challenging.My opponent can play with 20 buttons and using his feet for all i care, as long as there isn't any kind of bind, i see it as fair play. Anyway this post is about what ideas can improve the game so let's not get out of topic

MRIGOTBASS

There are some basic moves of characters like Mileena which would be impossible to do without double of HP thus making the character very weak.This is also not cheating but skill, if opponent uses more fingers, it makes it actually more challenging.My opponent can play with 20 buttons and using his feet for all i care, as long as there isn't any kind of bind, i see it as fair play. Anyway this post is about what ideas can improve the game so let's not get out of topic
Oh my bad yea I see it your way now, yea I guess as long as there is no “Bind” then its ok lol. Can we ask some other USA godlike UMK3 players what they think? Like @Juggs or @Shock or how about @ded or @REO or @NoDoubt or even @Biggs . Can we get a professional opinion on this?

A l i

[TAS]
Oh my bad yea I see it your way now, yea I guess as long as there is no “Bind” then its ok lol. Can we ask some other USA godlike UMK3 players what they think? Like @Juggs or @Shock or how about @ded or @REO or @NoDoubt or even @Biggs . Can we get a professional opinion on this?
Lol sure ask anyone, it doesn't change the fact that it is still fair. People should play however comfortable as long as there aren't binds or cheats involved. Skillful players would never make excuses of losing just because the opponent has extra Up button lol.

nwo

Noob
I think having 2 Up buttons is a little shitty, but there's nothing we're going to do about it, online.

A l i

[TAS]
I think having 2 Up buttons is a little shitty, but there's nothing we're going to do about it, online.
I think there is Nothing wrong with playing with however way you are comfortable with but thanks for opinion. Btw any news on updated MAME with 1-2 less input lag?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It’s definitely banned in tournaments, and I personally would consider it absolutely cheating, because it’s something you can only do on keyboard or specialized/modified controllers.

A l i

[TAS]
It’s definitely banned in tournaments, and I personally would consider it absolutely cheating, because it’s something you can only do on keyboard or specialized/modified controllers.
Isn't Hitbox allowed on some tournaments? Easily doable with Hitbox in MAME

nwo

Noob
I think there is Nothing wrong with playing with however way you are comfortable with but thanks for opinion. Btw any news on updated MAME with 1-2 less input lag?
Not yet, we were working on a new Team Edition, but it got postponed due to the war. So sooner than later the input lag will be addressed and you'll know about it when it happens.

A l i

[TAS]
Not yet, we were working on a new Team Edition, but it got postponed due to the war. So sooner than later the input lag will be addressed and you'll know about it when it happens.
Oh i cannot wait. I have been playing with 3 Frame delay on tournaments and i have gotta say while 3 is playable, less is always nice when it comes to Input lag. Definitely appreciate it. Also New MAME has been released FYI i was wondering if kaillera was added to it, would it be better to use new one for online gameplay?

Reactions: nwo

nwo

Noob
Oh i cannot wait. I have been playing with 3 Frame delay on tournaments and i have gotta say while 3 is playable, less is always nice when it comes to Input lag. Definitely appreciate it. Also New MAME has been released FYI i was wondering if kaillera was added to it, would it be better to use new one for online gameplay?
I dont think theres any benefit to having a newer version than what we have already (for kaillera). New MAME versions get released every month or less, but they dont have Kaillera support.

Last edited:

MRIGOTBASS

Isn't Hitbox allowed on some tournaments? Easily doable with Hitbox in MAME
Its insane that I have to state the obvious here but the tism prob is running high if you even think this is acceptable to begin with lol.

Umk3 has 10 inputs U,D,L,R Run, Block, HP, LP, Hk,lk

You can use a hitbox, a keyboard, ied switches, trip switches, pressure switches, tank u gins brother rubbing the wires toghether whatever you want to use but you get one button per input thats it. The tournaments in the usa where the game was invented and pioneered are played on Mame which has the Scod protection, so u can wire it up how ever you want, as long as its one button put input.

This is why when I watch the Zs playing this game I know exactly the Z mentality, rather than grinding to get better your trying to find shortcuts in the execution part of the game by rigging your shit up, when I watch the Z players I apoligize but I am not impressed I been said you guys was doing this keyboard wire up schemes. You just more or less ratted yourself out lol. Unreal

A l i

[TAS]
Its insane that I have to state the obvious here but the tism prob is running high if you even think this is acceptable to begin with lol.

Umk3 has 10 inputs U,D,L,R Run, Block, HP, LP, Hk,lk

You can use a hitbox, a keyboard, ied switches, trip switches, pressure switches, tank u gins brother rubbing the wires toghether whatever you want to use but you get one button per input thats it. The tournaments in the usa where the game was invented and pioneered are played on Mame which has the Scod protection, so u can wire it up how ever you want, as long as its one button put input.

This is why when I watch the Zs playing this game I know exactly the Z mentality, rather than grinding to get better your trying to find shortcuts in the execution part of the game by rigging your shit up, when I watch the Z players I apoligize but I am not impressed I been said you guys was doing this keyboard wire up schemes. You just more or less ratted yourself out lol. Unreal
First of all, put your manners back in talking about ratting and etc. Second of all, using doubles is more difficult than using only 1 inputs. I can play without doubles if i had 1 frame like or less. But in certain situations, it is always faster to use a free finger in another hand for a button rather than switching the same finger over 3 buttons. So it is still fair, i am still pressing a button using my fingers like you all guys do for an action. It is even more difficult than standart to get usually an inactive finger like thumb finger used to consistently pressing for doubles. 2nd matter, i dont know what this Z is you are talking about but characters like Mileena, weakens so much if it is not played with a double. I will explain, for Mileena's sai IAF, you have to hold HP(Index finger) and release it by releasing the button. Say if you want to jab and IAF at the same time, it is not possible to jab while using Index finger for LP then with same finger hold and release HP for like 2 seconds for IAFS. And Mileena who doesnt have charged IAFS for consistent zoning, jab pressure becomes much weaker. Even some of her combos like vs Male Ninjas where you do pop up+walk forward+ LP then JK and IAF is not possible without a double. It took me some time to get used to comfortly use my right thumb to hold HP all the time when playing with her. So isn't it more unfair if i am not allowed to use a character to its full potential?

MRIGOTBASS

First of all, put your manners back in talking about ratting and etc. Second of all, using doubles is more difficult than using only 1 inputs. I can play without doubles if i had 1 frame like or less. But in certain situations, it is always faster to use a free finger in another hand for a button rather than switching the same finger over 3 buttons. So it is still fair, i am still pressing a button using my fingers like you all guys do for an action. It is even more difficult than standart to get usually an inactive finger like thumb finger used to consistently pressing for doubles. 2nd matter, i dont know what this Z is you are talking about but characters like Mileena, weakens so much if it is not played with a double. I will explain, for Mileena's sai IAF, you have to hold HP(Index finger) and release it by releasing the button. Say if you want to jab and IAF at the same time, it is not possible to jab while using Index finger for LP then with same finger hold and release HP for like 2 seconds for IAFS. And Mileena who doesnt have charged IAFS for consistent zoning, jab pressure becomes much weaker. Even some of her combos like vs Male Ninjas where you do pop up+walk forward+ LP then JK and IAF is not possible without a double. It took me some time to get used to comfortly use my right thumb to hold HP all the time when playing with her. So isn't it more unfair if i am not allowed to use a character to its full potential?
I am sorry to be the one to break the bad news to you, but you wasted a bunch of time learning how to cheat online lol, no dude the answer is flat out no to everything u asked above.
Go ahead and tag in tehdrewsus he runs the usa events ask him directly, I would do it but he blocked me cause of moistness.

A l i

[TAS]
I am sorry to be the one to break the bad news to you, but you wasted a bunch of time learning how to cheat online lol, no dude the answer is flat out no to everything u asked above.
Go ahead and tag in tehdrewsus he runs the usa events ask him directly, I would do it but he blocked me cause of moistness.
And i am sorry to break it to you, but i couldn't care less how you think about doubles or if USA players think it is cheating or not. I don't play in USA tournaments. I respect each and every one of the players here but no one has the right to criticise how one plays as long as 3rd party softwares or binds are not involved this is my opinion . Brazilian players say infinites and relaunches are cheating. Go ahead and convince them it is not lol. Every region has it's RULES and i am guessing this one is yours. Play however you want it

MRIGOTBASS

And i am sorry to break it to you, but i couldn't care less how you think about doubles or if USA players think it is cheating or not. I don't play in USA tournaments. I respect each and every one of the players here but no one has the right to criticise how one plays as long as 3rd party softwares or binds are not involved this is my opinion . Brazilian players say infinites and relaunches are cheating. Go ahead and convince them it is not lol. Every region has it's RULES and i am guessing this one is yours. Play however you want it
I saw we schedule a voice chat on stream, lets discuss it, English only.

ded

Elder God
Hi, @A l i

The guys are right - mapping multiple buttons is considered cheating. We've been dealing with this and autofire back in late 2000s. There must be threads about this here and at MKOnline.

A l i

[TAS]
Hi, @A l i

The guys are right - mapping multiple buttons is considered cheating. We've been dealing with this and autofire back in late 2000s. There must be threads about this here and at MKOnline.
Hello @ded we have been having tournaments consistently for multiple years now in Russian commune, no one won a tournament simply due to doubles. If it would be cheating and some kind of abuse, someone would have dominated everyone because of unfair advantage of doubles

ded

Elder God
You mentioned Mileena's IAS and how that would help you during jab pressure. The simple fact that you discussed how good she is, because of this advantage, is considered cheating. It's like someone arguing for Liu Kang's Bike Kick inf with Autofire. I am not saying you should ban it, just that it won't be allowed in an offline event (like EVO, Summer Jam, ECT and etc).

A l i

[TAS]
You mentioned Mileena's IAS and how that would help you during jab pressure. The simple fact that you discussed how good she is, because of this advantage, is considered cheating. It's like someone arguing for Liu Kang's Bike Kick inf with Autofire. I am not saying you should ban it, just that it won't be allowed in an offline event (like EVO, Summer Jam, ECT and etc).

I just googled definiton of Cheat- unfair advantage over something. Having double is not an unfair advantage because you dont magically have a something opponent also cant do. My opponent is also welcome to work his ass to get used to using an extra finger for something. If it is worth it, he will learn it. It would be unfair if only I were allowed to do it. You are a Reptile player. Now imagine you play vs newbie and do infinite, and he says okay thats unfair i can't do it, but i also don't want to learn how to move my fingers over buttons to make those moves, so you also shouldn't be allowed to do it. Otherwise it's cheating. See the logic? This character had this ability all these times, but now we have the way to use more of her abilities but we shouldn't use methods required for it because earlier no one else did? Kabal iafs does not work on any UMK in WASD layout, WASD is the closest thing to the standart Sega layout isn't it? to do Kabal IAFS, player needs to move the UP button near HP for it to work. even with same timing, it would still not work because game is designed that way. You would still need to change the placement of UP. But in original layout, UP is not there so why should you be able to configure it for unfair advantage of a move which is 10x more powerful than Mileena sai? Matter of fact, this game wasnt even for PC, why do you guys use Keyboards? Wasn't this originally on Sega and Arcade? Why should you have an advantage of Keyboard or some other device over D-Pad? See where i am going with this?