What's new

General/Other - Erron Black Justice For Erron Black

Well, it is something, BUT I do not know if it is much help...
Seems useful if for some odd reason they let go of block on 21122 in the corner and you do not hit confirm, 38% is quite nice compared to the lower number offered by sand grenade.

It has some very niche uses, I still think its not that great though.

I never find myself using 11B3, I either stagger it or ex tick throw on the 1, so I don't know how applicable it is for that specific string.

NQuad1Zero

Hidden Fraud
Sorry Im late to the party, but I'll divulge into my 2 cents now (Or rather, tonnes of 2 cent pieces)

Disclaimer: I am not trying to sound arrogant, please hear me out (Also note that I play Marksman)

Im sure many EB mains across all 3 variations already know this stuff, but just to reiterate/for people who aren't as aware (understandably):
11B3 has no "real" special cancel options and hence doesn't ACTUALLY tick throw. It does mechanically, but there's no reason not to jump or backdash really. However DB4 (across all 3 variations) might catch neutral and crossup jumps (I know REO posted about the Outlaw db4) but Im yet to test this, and honestly it's too much of a commitment (and Sand Gust, being the marksman/gunslinger db4, can be neutral ducked and possibly backdashed/jumpbacked. Again, I haven't tested, but who honestly would hard commit to a Db4 cancel when you see 11B3 being blocked?)

the 23Frame overhead really is as bad as it seems. There's SOME bias sure. But when I played EB mirror matchups online I reacted to the F1 10/10 times. It's NOT ENTIRELY because it's too slow (because yes Ive been hit by scorpion's overhead online etc) but rather the animation isn't masked by anything. EB steps forwards and pulls his gun out of his holster, and pauses for the camera a bit, which immediately gives you a cue to release crouch and block, and since EB's only other overhead which ISNT A STARTER is 121, which results in a knockdown, you just return to crouch blocking. Not to mention, F1 strings are godly unsafe and has gaps, and is only 1 frame slower than EB's F4 dropkick. I've even ranted about how it's slower than tonnes of other notorious overheads across other Fighting games (Namely Blazblue and Guilty Gear) which I also frequently play, and again, the slowness of the overhead is amplified by the fact that it's incredibly distinct, not due to being incredibly slow as well

EB's grappler game is honestly not great. D1 is his main reliable but commital tick throw. B1 and B2 are waaaaayy too short-ranged, S1 is not only commital, but can be low profiled in itself and is physically hard to input. I won't list the other examples cuz most people know why. But Like, I might as well play Non-Slasher Jason for a grappler game, and not many people even play Jason for that reason. He can tick throw off his Advancing B2 Mid antiair which connects on hit AND block, and everyone knows of his notorious B122 string which is ticked out of as well.

The lack of mids is a serious issue. I personally am sick of playing against mileena and Johnny Cage (or anyone with amazing D4s or low profile abilities) who just mash D4 when they're minus 1-7, like how is that allowed? Johnny being able to check me with a D4 after I block his Reversal kick, and the classic situation where Mileena can meterless roll after blocking EX-Sandgrenade and I can't do anything to blow it up aside from Jumpback punch (I labbed this for ages, F3 doesn't blow up meterless roll after EXSG, and neither does any other button presses) are, imo, some key anecdotal evidence of this problem. Why am I unable to get someone to block after they are minus? Why am I put into a 50/50 situation (Not really, but you get the idea) once I am plus (either from EX-SG, me hitting a D1/D4 or from me blocking a minus move) of D1/D4ing them or actually establishing some 21122, B33 and F1 "pressure"? If they actually choose to finally respect the D1/D4 my "play" gets ended there, tho I can try for another one incase my opponent chooses for a high starter too, but thats another topic. I'm sure people understand this frustration

It seems to me that NRS nerfed EB only with Gunslinger in mind, but even then Id say gunslinger was nerfed too much. Look at Outlaw and Marksman, honestly. Why would outlaw ever use EXsandtoss when EXsandgrenade exists? Gunslinger stance pressure is significantly more scarier and versatile than the other 2, as well as significantly better zoning. Marksman I actually thought werent hit too hard by the nerfs, since all his run cancels sucked anyway and being able to press a button after a guncancel was purely a matchup inexperience gimmick, but his overhead being nearly gone there's not a whole lot of reason to play this variation... besides big damage swaggy combos of course. But does it really matter if you can't ever open your opponent up? Whiff and block punishing players become harder and harder as you divulge into higher level play, and pretty much every other charaacter has better tools to block and whiff punish for higher damage anyway (This is an exaggeration, but still)

The solutions I would present are very similar to the ones alot of other people have presented in this topic post, but basically:
Revert F1, or make it faster and become mid
F3 needs some hit-confirmable element to it, or make it have better hit properties
EXSandtoss needs a non-superduperspecific use
F2 and the strings associated with needs better properties and frame data. Such as hitconfirmability, only providing knockdown on aerial opponents (such that F24 Caltrop ender still exists, and F24 21122 combo route still exists, but F24 on a grounded opponent will allow you to hitconfirm into a launcher)

And as for more vague problems, Id say:
Make Db4 more useful, preferrably with much better startup frames (Referring to Marksman/Gunslinger Db4)
Make Outlaw specific strings actually worth using. Like what the heck is that B2 starter one?
Rework B1 somehow. That move and the string associated with it I have only ever used during the "FINISH HIM" Screen because of how hilarious it is (both literally and figuratively)
EB needs some better tickthrows, which can also be achieved if the hitbox and frame data of his B2 are changed so that it's similar to Jason's B2 in a way

If you have been, thanks for reading

Last edited:

Meep8345

Noob
Sorry Im late to the party, but I'll divulge into my 2 cents now (Or rather, tonnes of 2 cent pieces)

Disclaimer: I am not trying to sound arrogant, please hear me out (Also note that I play Marksman)

Im sure many EB mains across all 3 variations already know this stuff, but just to reiterate/for people who aren't as aware (understandably):
11B3 has no "real" special cancel options and hence doesn't ACTUALLY tick throw. It does mechanically, but there's no reason not to jump or backdash really. However DB4 (across all 3 variations) might catch neutral and crossup jumps (I know REO posted about the Outlaw db4) but Im yet to test this, and honestly it's too much of a commitment (and Sand Gust, being the marksman/gunslinger db4, can be neutral ducked and possibly backdashed/jumpbacked. Again, I haven't tested, but who honestly would hard commit to a Db4 cancel when you see 11B3 being blocked?)

the 23Frame overhead really is as bad as it seems. There's SOME bias sure. But when I played EB mirror matchups online I reacted to the F1 10/10 times. It's NOT ENTIRELY because it's too slow (because yes Ive been hit by scorpion's overhead online etc) but rather the animation isn't masked by anything. EB steps forwards and pulls his gun out of his holster, and pauses for the camera a bit, which immediately gives you a cue to release crouch and block, and since EB's only other overhead which ISNT A STARTER is 121, which results in a knockdown, you just return to crouch blocking. Not to mention, F1 strings are godly unsafe and has gaps, and is only 1 frame slower than EB's F4 dropkick. I've even ranted about how it's slower than tonnes of other notorious overheads across other Fighting games (Namely Blazblue and Guilty Gear) which I also frequently play, and again, the slowness of the overhead is amplified by the fact that it's incredibly distinct, not due to being incredibly slow as well

EB's grappler game is honestly not great. D1 is his main reliable but commital tick throw. B1 and B2 are waaaaayy too short-ranged, S1 is not only commital, but can be low profiled in itself and is physically hard to input. I won't list the other examples cuz most people know why. But Like, I might as well play Non-Slasher Jason for a grappler game, and not many people even play Jason for that reason. He can tick throw off his Advancing B2 Mid antiair which connects on hit AND block, and everyone knows of his notorious B122 string which is ticked out of as well.

The lack of mids is a serious issue. I personally am sick of playing against mileena and Johnny Cage (or anyone with amazing D4s or low profile abilities) who just mash D4 when they're minus 1-7, like how is that allowed? Johnny being able to check me with a D4 after I block his Reversal kick, and the classic situation where Mileena can meterless roll after blocking EX-Sandgrenade and I can't do anything to blow it up aside from Jumpback punch (I labbed this for ages, F3 doesn't blow up meterless roll after EXSG, and neither does any other button presses) are, imo, some key anecdotal evidence of this problem. Why am I unable to get someone to block after they are minus? Why am I put into a 50/50 situation (Not really, but you get the idea) once I am plus (either from EX-SG, me hitting a D1/D4 or from me blocking a minus move) of D1/D4ing them or actually establishing some 21122, B33 and F1 "pressure"? If they actually choose to finally respect the D1/D4 my "play" gets ended there, tho I can try for another one incase my opponent chooses for a high starter too, but thats another topic. I'm sure people understand this frustration

It seems to me that NRS nerfed EB only with Gunslinger in mind, but even then Id say gunslinger was nerfed too much. Look at Outlaw and Marksman, honestly. Why would outlaw ever use EXsandtoss when EXsandgrenade exists? Gunslinger stance pressure is significantly more scarier and versatile than the other 2, as well as significantly better zoning. Marksman I actually thought werent hit too hard by the nerfs, since all his run cancels sucked anyway and being able to press a button after a guncancel was purely a matchup inexperience gimmick, but his overhead being nearly gone there's not a whole lot of reason to play this variation... besides big damage swaggy combos of course. But does it really matter if you can't ever open your opponent up? Whiff and block punishing players become harder and harder as you divulge into higher level play, and pretty much every other charaacter has better tools to block and whiff punish for higher damage anyway (This is an exaggeration, but still)

The solutions I would present are very similar to the ones alot of other people have presented in this topic post, but basically:
F3 needs some hit-confirmable element to it, or make it have better hit properties
F2 and the strings associated with needs better properties and frame data. Such as hitconfirmability, only providing knockdown on aerial opponents (such that F24 Caltrop ender still exists, and F24 21122 combo route still exists, but F24 on a grounded opponent will allow you to hitconfirm into a launcher)

Make Db4 more useful, preferrably with much better startup frames (Referring to Marksman/Gunslinger Db4)
Make Outlaw specific strings actually worth using. Like what the heck is that B2 starter one?
Rework B1 somehow. That move and the string associated with it I have only ever used during the "FINISH HIM" Screen because of how hilarious it is (both literally and figuratively)
EB needs some better tickthrows, which can also be achieved if the hitbox and frame data of his B2 are changed so that it's similar to Jason's B2 in a way

So pressing a button after a neutral cancel is a gimmick? 21122 gun cancel then poking after is legit even poking after regular 21122 is somewhat legit you just have to make a read if they'll do a string or poke after they block it and you have options to beat theirs. anyways erron kinda sucks now tho lol

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Good stuff , the ex sand reminds me of how normal sand was when the game first came out , it had less recovery so you could convert off of stuff like 21122 db4 like how you can now with ex
I feel like it catching people who try to jump out of 11 B3 is something we need to talk about. I feel like that's the most applicable thing in that video.

NQuad1Zero

Hidden Fraud
So pressing a button after a neutral cancel is a gimmick? 21122 gun cancel then poking after is legit even poking after regular 21122 is somewhat legit you just have to make a read if they'll do a string or poke after they block it and you have options to beat theirs. anyways erron kinda sucks now tho lol
T-T it's nearly as if my entire paragraph was disregarded by this one thing haha
Nah apologies, I was moreso referring to buttonpress as like a non-poke buttonpress. 21122 guncancel buttonpress isn't really that great only because all his quick starters are high, and poking risks losing your pressure again (Though at least you get to poke I guess.)

I feel like it catching people who try to jump out of 11 B3 is something we need to talk about. I feel like that's the most applicable thing in that video.
I mentioned that factor too but the only solutions I can see so far are too commital to be called a solution. Sand Gust and Sandtoss are the ways to catch jumping and whatnot, but both are incredibly unsafe if the opponent had just blocked. You can spend meter as Outlaw to make this not punishable but is EB really expected to spend meter just to check someone from jumping midstring? I just don't feel that's entirely fair to an already mediocre character. There's also the backdash option to consider too...

It's gonna be good for catching people who tend to mash poke or jump but you need to keep in mind once they realize they can't do that anymore they'll just armor or backdash and I'm pretty sure there's no way to deal with the armor except try to block it which isn't gonna happen even in some cases as marksman ( 11b3 cancel is around -8) so yeah it's good but once people realize they can't do what they used to do anymore they're just gonna move on with their other options

Meep8345

Noob
T-T it's nearly as if my entire paragraph was disregarded by this one thing haha
Nah apologies, I was moreso referring to buttonpress as like a non-poke buttonpress. 21122 guncancel buttonpress isn't really that great only because all his quick starters are high, and poking risks losing your pressure again (Though at least you get to poke I guess.)

I mentioned that factor too but the only solutions I can see so far are too commital to be called a solution. Sand Gust and Sandtoss are the ways to catch jumping and whatnot, but both are incredibly unsafe if the opponent had just blocked. You can spend meter as Outlaw to make this not punishable but is EB really expected to spend meter just to check someone from jumping midstring? I just don't feel that's entirely fair to an already mediocre character. There's also the backdash option to consider too...
I didn't disregard what you said, pretty much everything was right but that one part wasn't.

It is not mine. Props for Reo.
Another niche use that this could have is in the HQT match-up, wherein on a blocked low laser from a poke f2 will always beat him out (unless he jumps?), so you could do F2xxexSand for combo rather than F2xxexNade, but once again why? Who would even use that variation in that matchup to begin with?

ENiGMA | OCE

Real life warlock of Australia - BFBF2
I think he means just letting go of block.
Nah so you can let go of block and then hold block again so if you command throw it will whiff as you're netural ducking, but if you continue 21122 you will block the entire string.

CaptainCM

Certified trash

Good points. However, I disagree on uselessness of b1. It's a great anti-air tool, works better than s1 against jump-ins.
I wish Outlaw's db4 would restand, that would be the tits. That, and f4 to be actually advantage on block. If you gonna buff "big boots" across the cast, buff the biggest one as well.

Good points. However, I disagree on uselessness of b1. It's a great anti-air tool, works better than s1 against jump-ins.
I wish Outlaw's db4 would restand, that would be the tits. That, and f4 to be actually advantage on block. If you gonna buff "big boots" across the cast, buff the biggest one as well.
F4 having advantage on block would have the oddest block stun reaction. 'Hold on a minute while I just mosey up on my feet again.' Seriously, it would be hilarious seeing the opponent respect buttons while he stand ups like a drunkard, like if Bo's torpedo was plus.

Noob
Speaking of Big Boot Buffs...when NRS did a universal Boot Boot Buff...Erron's never got buffed.

Whats standing 4? +2/4 on block? Doesn't even advanced forward either lol.

CaptainCM

Certified trash
Speaking of Big Boot Buffs...when NRS did a universal Boot Boot Buff...Erron's never got buffed.

Whats standing 4? +2/4 on block? Doesn't even advanced forward either lol.
I don't think s4 can be classified as one. Good examples are Jason's f3 and Raiden's f4 (not sure about notation). Slow startup, non special cancellable moves that KD on hit. Like Erron's f4. But that's just my opinion.

Based on s4 animation, I wouldn't call it anything but "awkward boot". I hate that move, lol.

NQuad1Zero

Hidden Fraud
I don't think s4 can be classified as one. Good examples are Jason's f3 and Raiden's f4 (not sure about notation). Slow startup, non special cancellable moves that KD on hit. Like Erron's f4. But that's just my opinion.

Based on s4 animation, I wouldn't call it anything but "awkward boot". I hate that move, lol.
I mean, it's pretty hilarious when you start trolling people by mixing up slide and f4 lol, but yeah Im pretty annoyed that F4 isnt plus at all. EB also needs a less stupid getup animation after his F4, A standard front flip would probably suffice. But even then someone else mentioned that the blockstun animation would have to be hilariously stupid for it to be plus lol

EDIT: A good example of a blockstun reaction would be if the opponent like gets knocked back to like a sitting position but still blocking which makes the opponent getup slower than you possibly

I mean, it's pretty hilarious when you start trolling people by mixing up slide and f4 lol, but yeah Im pretty annoyed that F4 isnt plus at all. EB also needs a less stupid getup animation after his F4, A standard front flip would probably suffice. But even then someone else mentioned that the blockstun animation would have to be hilariously stupid for it to be plus lol

EDIT: A good example of a blockstun reaction would be if the opponent like gets knocked back to like a sitting position but still blocking which makes the opponent getup slower than you possibly
Lol, like Dark Souls 2's parry? That would be quite interesting to see.

Did they change d1 hit advantage? Before the patch I would always follow up a d1 on hit with 21122 and it would work, ( as the hit advantage is 14 and the 21122 string starts in 9 frames) but I've been trying this today and I kept getting poked and uppurcut out of 21122 follow up.