What's new

General/Other - Erron Black Justice For Erron Black

Ghosty1981

Dog will hunt!
121, 12 exsg is a useful mix. Better than nothing. D1 jail into 21122 still has some gimmicks you can use sparingly in gunslinger. I don't know why people get tagged with this but I hit people with 21122 coin shot all the time. People just assume sos3 or exsandgrenade is coming and forget about coin.
Gunslinger definitely has some fun gimmicks. I, too, catch people with the coin shot at funny times. It is so slow, however, that a modicrum of reaction speed will blow it up.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
Gunslinger definitely has some fun gimmicks. I, too, catch people with the coin shot at funny times. It is so slow, however, that a modicrum of reaction speed will blow it up.
Sparingly is the key. Its completely reactable, just need to pick your spots. Erron requires risk to win and a few gimmicks. Other gimmicks that can be useful are b3 coin and f1 coin to open up pressure. Erron requires too much work and risk to win in tourney, he's a niche character now.

Addhad

GOD OF EARTHRELM
Marksman is used for the -2 launcher end ur strings with that it has pushback... Then a whiff punish or 50/50 neutral game

After playing a set with Gunslinger, I became convinced that even Gunslinger is pretty much low tier. Here are my reasons.
1. No good options after 21122
21122 into gun stance has a gap in between. Even if the opponent doesn't armour through this gap, ur options in gun stance are still pretty meh. Gun stance 3 has a gap which the opponent can backdash or armour. Gun stance 2 doesn't break many armoured reversals anymore. Gun stance 4 does minimum chip damage. 21122 into coin shot is a gimmick. There is a gap between 21122 and coin shot, and also, coin shot is reactable. The only viable option after 21122 is ex sand grenade. Even then, even though u r at +6, there are still no good options because of the pushback. Ppl can jump out of f3, the only mid which can reach, and everything else u do is a hard read. The best option is to do 21122, which leaves u at -1, and bait and armoured reversal or if u r lucky, get a d1 after that.

2. No true 50/50s
f1 is slow as hell and can be reacted too. b33 or b32 is still ok but ur opponent can just block low and call it a day. Also, u will never hit someone with f1 after gun stance cancel anymore.

3. Lack of tick throw options
The only things that tick throw now are 211~tick throw, pokes into tick throw and standing 1 into tick throw. (Maybe more, someone please add on if I miss any tick throw options). Moreover, ur opponent can option select the 211~tick throw. The lack of tick throw hurts Erron Black's alrd weak offense.

4.U can beat his wakeup options pretty easily.
Erron Black's armoured moves in gunslinger are ex slide and ex sandtrap. On wakeup, the opponent can just neutral jump kick or punch to beat these options. If u do ex sandtrap, the njk or njp will catch u. If u do ex slide, it will whiff and u wasted 1 bar of meter to be at fullscreen.

5.Zoning is pretty meh
Gun stance 4 is slow. Sand grenade is also not a good zoning tool as it is also slow. The only viable one is coin shot. EB gets beat but good zoner, HQT and Quan Chi, pretty easily.

6. Lack of a good mid.
f3 is slow at 14 frames and jails only into ex sand grenade. f2 is also slow at 14 frames but f24 jails into ex sand grenade. Because of the lack of good options after ex sand grenade, f2 and f3 are pretty bad mids.

7.Gaps in strings into specials
Only f24, f3, 21122 and b32 jail into ex sand grenade. (Please add on if I miss out anything). Every string into coin shot or gun stance has a gap.

With that, I conclude why Gunslinger is low tier. I welcome differing opinions and if u do have them, please post them in this thread. Thanks for reading.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
After playing a set with Gunslinger, I became convinced that even Gunslinger is pretty much low tier. Here are my reasons.
1. No good options after 21122
21122 into gun stance has a gap in between. Even if the opponent doesn't armour through this gap, ur options in gun stance are still pretty meh. Gun stance 3 has a gap which the opponent can backdash or armour. Gun stance 2 doesn't break many armoured reversals anymore. Gun stance 4 does minimum chip damage. 21122 into coin shot is a gimmick. There is a gap between 21122 and coin shot, and also, coin shot is reactable. The only viable option after 21122 is ex sand grenade. Even then, even though u r at +6, there are still no good options because of the pushback. Ppl can jump out of f3, the only mid which can reach, and everything else u do is a hard read. The best option is to do 21122, which leaves u at -1, and bait and armoured reversal or if u r lucky, get a d1 after that.

2. No true 50/50s
f1 is slow as hell and can be reacted too. b33 or b32 is still ok but ur opponent can just block low and call it a day. Also, u will never hit someone with f1 after gun stance cancel anymore.

3. Lack of tick throw options
The only things that tick throw now are 211~tick throw, pokes into tick throw and standing 1 into tick throw. (Maybe more, someone please add on if I miss any tick throw options). Moreover, ur opponent can option select the 211~tick throw. The lack of tick throw hurts Erron Black's alrd weak offense.

4.U can beat his wakeup options pretty easily.
Erron Black's armoured moves in gunslinger are ex slide and ex sandtrap. On wakeup, the opponent can just neutral jump kick or punch to beat these options. If u do ex sandtrap, the njk or njp will catch u. If u do ex slide, it will whiff and u wasted 1 bar of meter to be at fullscreen.

5.Zoning is pretty meh
Gun stance 4 is slow. Sand grenade is also not a good zoning tool as it is also slow. The only viable one is coin shot. EB gets beat but good zoner, HQT and Quan Chi, pretty easily.

6. Lack of a good mid.
f3 is slow at 14 frames and jails only into ex sand grenade. f2 is also slow at 14 frames but f24 jails into ex sand grenade. Because of the lack of good options after ex sand grenade, f2 and f3 are pretty bad mids.

7.Gaps in strings into specials
Only f24, f3, 21122 and b32 jail into ex sand grenade. (Please add on if I miss out anything). Every string into coin shot or gun stance has a gap.

With that, I conclude why Gunslinger is low tier. I welcome differing opinions and if u do have them, please post them in this thread. Thanks for reading.

I meant to address this yesterday but lost track of time. Let me help you out. My numbers will correspond with your numbers.
*Like I say with all my long messages, pretend it's orange.

1. Everything that cancels into SOS will have a gap, and Erron sadly can't make it safe by pressing SOS1. If you're worried about how 21122 plays into all this, consider the speed in which Erron initiates the stance itself. It's too fast to consistently react to. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the opponent armors it on a read. Try doing only 21122, linking nothing after, then blocking a reversal. At most you are safe and the opponent spent a bar without hitting you. You're also only -1 and equipped with a 7f d1.

I have to disagree with your opinion of SOS4. It's -14 but does, what, a little over 4% chip and leaves you outside jump distance? Not to mention the opponent can't jump out of it and only certain specials can evade it when linked after blockstrings (provided they didn't armor the SOS to begin with which, let's face it, will not happen every time).

2. In hindsight I think I personally responded inappropriately to the f1 change. I had become so accustomed to the disgusting meta conquered by 50/50s and armored launchers that I assumed Erron fell to the bottom of the bucket. But he didn't. The f1 change is more beneficial to the overall MKX experience; if anything it's a blessing in disguise that it was slowed because you'll be trained to use it less frequently, thereby making your opponent more prone to blocking low.

Though b33 does quite a bit of damage (being the highest damaging starter other than 21122) you should never use it since it doesn't jail into EXSG and lacks the cancel advantage to prevent the opponent from simply jumping over your head. Use b32.

3. Tick throws are as follows: 1, 11b3, 21, b2, d1, d3, d4. For my playstyle I find the most success with 21 and d1, but you should experiment and do what's best for you. If I could have my way 11b3 would be deleted from the moves list. Its only purpose seems to be getting Erron players to lose.

As for what to do about the OS against the 21 tick? I don't know what to say other than commit to the string. Chances are they'll either duck and punish or simply eat the string. That isn't even to mention you'll most likely not suffer a combo, or that your opponent won't always have a bar because the truth is that they won't. No one will OS the tick with armor at all possible occurrences.

4. He struggles as much as most other characters in the current patch. We're not all blessed like Kano or Mystic or Possessed. You can beat all of Scorpion's wakeups in every variation with an NJK too. Not to mention, depending on the knockdown situation, you can beat or trade with an NJK by doing d2. I think Erron's d2 is 8f?

5. His zoning pales pretty overtly against other zoners, but not everyone is a zoner. Some variations have inferior projectiles to Gunslinger, either because they do less damage or have less hit advantage. Some variations don't even have projectiles.

6. F2 and d1 are pretty good mids. Consider Jason's b1, 13f fast. That's a good mid right? Erron's f2 is 14f and travels just a far (even if Erron is a Jedi knight).

7. Everything Erron does jails into EXSG except 1, 11, 11b3, f1, f12, f13, b33, 2, 21, 211, 2112, and the pokes. The only other gap I can think of is... b32d1? (The gap is here: b32*d1).

Last edited:

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You

I meant to address this yesterday but lost track of time. Let me help you out. My numbers will correspond with your numbers.

1. Everything that cancels into SOS will have a gap, and Erron sadly can't make it safe by pressing SOS1. If you're worried about how 21122 plays into all this, consider the speed in which Erron initiates the stance itself. It's too fast to consistently react to. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the opponent armors it on a read. Try doing only 21122, linking nothing after, then blocking a reversal. At most you are safe and the opponent spent a bar without hitting you. You're also only -1 and equipped with a 7f d1.

I have to disagree with your opinion of SOS4. It's -14 but does, what, a little over 4% chip and leaves you outside jump distance? Not to mention the opponent can't jump out of it and only certain specials can evade it when linked after blockstrings (provided they didn't armor the SOS to begin with which, let's face it, will not happen every time).

2. In hindsight I think I personally responded inappropriately to the f1 change. I had become so accustomed to the disgusting meta conquered by 50/50s and armored launchers that I assumed Erron fell to the bottom of the bucket. But he didn't. The f1 change is more beneficial to the overall MKX experience; if anything it's a blessing in disguise that it was slowed because you'll be trained to use it less frequently, thereby making your opponent more prone to blocking low.

Though b33 does quite a bit of damage (being the highest damaging starter other than 21122) you should never use it since it doesn't jail into EXSG and lacks the cancel advantage to prevent the opponent from simply jumping over your head. Use b32.

3. Tick throws are as follows: 1, 11b3, 21, b2, d1, d3, d4. For my playstyle I find the most success with 21 and d1, but you should experiment and do what's best for you. If I could have my way 11b3 would be deleted from the moves list. Its only purpose seems to be getting Erron players to lose.

As for what to do about the OS against the 21 tick? I don't know what to say other than commit to the string. Chances are they'll either duck and punish or simply eat the string. That isn't even to mention you'll most likely not suffer a combo, or that your opponent won't always have a bar because the truth is that they won't. No one will OS the tick with armor at all possible occurrences.

4. He struggles as much as most other characters in the current patch. We're not all blessed like Kano or Mystic or Possessed. You can beat all of Scorpion's wakeups in every variation with an NJK too. Not to mention, depending on the knockdown situation, you can beat or trade with an NJK by doing d2. I think Erron's d2 is 8f?

5. His zoning pales pretty overtly against other zoners, but not everyone is a zoner. Some variations have inferior projectiles to Gunslinger, either because they do less damage or have less hit advantage. Some variations don't even have projectiles.

6. F2 and d1 are pretty good mids. Consider Jason's b1, 13f fast. That's a good mid right? Erron's f2 is 14f and travels just a far (even if Erron is a Jedi knight).

7. Everything Erron does jails into EXSG except 1, 11, 11b3, f1, f12, f13, b33, and the pokes. The only other gap I can think of is... b32d1? (The gap is here: b32*d1).
Let's not forget that Smoke's B2 is literally the same speed as Erron's F2. Granted it doesn't quite have the same range but basically what I'm saying is speed isn't everything when it comes to mids

7. Everything Erron does jails into EXSG except 1, 11, 11b3, f1, f12, f13, b33, and the pokes. The only other gap I can think of is... b32d1? (The gap is here: b32*d1).
Thanks for sharing ur opinion. Maybe u r right on gun stance 4. Also, I did not include 11b3 as a tick throw because that string is useless and nobody be hit by 11b3 tick throw. Also, although Jason's mid is 13f, it leads to a meterless combo and has good range while in erron black's case, f24 must be cancelled into ex sand grenade for a full combo.

Let's not forget that Smoke's B2 is literally the same speed as Erron's F2. Granted it doesn't quite have the same range but basically what I'm saying is speed isn't everything when it comes to mids
Smoke's b2 leads to a meterless combo, whereas in the case of EB, f24 must be special cancelled into ex sand grenade for a full combo.

f24, d3~Tackle/Slide is an actual thing. 19% with Tackle, 17% with Slide I think. d4~Tackle does 20% but it feels like a just-frame link.
i tried it and it works lol. Stil 19% isnt great when u have jason and smoke who have amazing mids that led to 20+% dmg and in the case of smoke, u can get a 50/50 restand for lesser damage.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
What sage said. Stop thinking your opponent is a computer that will perform the correct counter to all of Erron's shortcomings. Bait and condition. I remember winning a match where I didn't tick throw once out of 21122 and just ran the whole string that match. Next match I won by tick throwing 21122 everytime lol.

cambros22

Stand Back I'm a Doctor!!!!!!
Also, now that we only tick off of 21, we can blow up players going for the armor gap or trying to jump out early by using ex sand grenade at 2112 for full combo punish. . It helps with the mind games because I agree that everyone isnt gonna option select it properly everytime.

Ghosty1981

Dog will hunt!
It isn't just the speed, it is the look. Smoke's OH looks similar to other moves he does, while Erron's OH is the only kove that looks anything like it.

As for plus frames as tick throws, I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think you can grab or throw when plus in frames. It always wiffs for me, unless you mean waiting until the moment they come out of plus.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
It isn't just the speed, it is the look. Smoke's OH looks similar to other moves he does, while Erron's OH is the only kove that looks anything like it.

As for plus frames as tick throws, I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think you can grab or throw when plus in frames. It always wiffs for me, unless you mean waiting until the moment they come out of plus.
You do a move that is plus on block THEN do command grab while they're respecting plus frames. That's what tick throws were originally referred to but in NRS games they have lost that identity for whatever reason.

Ghosty1981

Dog will hunt!
You do a move that is plus on block THEN do command grab while they're respecting plus frames. That's what tick throws were originally referred to but in NRS games they have lost that identity for whatever reason.
Gotcha. I never throw anyway as I can't consistently hit 1+3, and my fingers on my left hand can't reach the L1 button without moving the whole controller. Too many tendon injuries. :p

I know that it's like -9, but isn't B334 worth using if you want to commit to the low without any unsafe or gapped special cancels? No one ever uses that string even though it does 18% iirc.

masherofbuttons

I'll mash out of +30 I know no fear
Don't play erron black, so blow me up if this is known or if there is a counter for it.

When your opponent does the 21122 string, you can neutral duck where the tick throw would be and block again in time flr the next hit of the string. This way the tick throw will never hit and if he doesn't go for it you don't get blown up.
Can Erron even counter this? I just mopped an Erron player because he kept going for tick throws.

Ghosty1981

Dog will hunt!
Don't play erron black, so blow me up if this is known or if there is a counter for it.

When your opponent does the 21122 string, you can neutral duck where the tick throw would be and block again in time flr the next hit of the string. This way the tick throw will never hit and if he doesn't go for it you don't get blown up.
Can Erron even counter this? I just mopped an Erron player because he kept going for tick throws.
There is no counter for this as far as I know. It completely removes his tick throw from the match up.

Snibbor

Yarrrr Matey

If the Erron player suspects that you will neutral duck his tick throw, he can cancel into ex sand grenade instead to launch you. Since this takes meter it obviously can't be done every time, but if they notice you're ducking the grab every time, it's an option.

masherofbuttons

I'll mash out of +30 I know no fear
Well rip Erron, meterlessly option selectable tick throws, reactable overhead and no mid to enforce plus frames.