What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

wish i could make it to NWM :( i'm in vancouver and was gonna go, but my ride got bodied.
I'm pretty surprised how many big name MK players are coming out. It should be a lot of fun. Not expecting to do too well since my time with this game is nothing compared to a lot of others so far (I've probably logged in like 5 hours in training and played maybe 50 matches or so mixture of offline and online).

I'm also switching to pad for this game and come from KOF so my muscle memory still has me holding back to block and simply forward dashing to run :(

Since this is my vacation from work I do plan to try and get as many casuals in as possible. I think Arturo is staying in the hotel I'll be at and wants to do an after hours MK stream.

B-RanMustDie

I > U #RealityCheck
Anyone wanna watch some decent cage footage (Cause I haven't really seen any yet):

Me and @gpmoney in an offline set using our secondaries. I might switch to cage primarily because he's damn good. 4 more years of F3 pressure boys.

Good stuff bro! A-List ftw, I feel like I'm watching me play lol. You on XBL? We should practice together sometime.

Lol ya alist is so good. I actually think he'll be nerfed if more people play him :(

And nah, ps4.
I don't think we have to worry about that. It seems like everyone playing this game is rushing into training mode and trying to find characters with constant 50/50 mix ups that are +289 on block and lead to 75% mid screen meter less damage otherwise they aren't good.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just thought it was bad etiquette to just say he was a bad character without stating any reasons. I appreciate that you stated your reasons, and I think you have a good point. But it's still too early to call Cage 'terrible'. Here's hoping someone can find something to propel the character and make him more safe. I personally think A-List Johnny has the potential to be a really good character, because of his run cancels.
That 1,2 into his nut punch attack is a good opener. I just need to find a few pop ups so I can work off the opener. I think he has potential but its too early for me to be sure...so far I think the other characters I've tired seem to be a bit better all in all.

Honestly RC isnt that bad, I went to krayzies and I was dropping all my RC for that same reason(tourney pressure) so I went into the lab and I found a way to get the RC inputs to come out MUCH easier, Ive told a few people about it for other characters and now RC drops are a thing of the past lol
?

Fergus

Like Father, Like Daughter
What punishes are you guys doing on not so unsafe stuff (not unsafe enough for F4)

He seems to be lacking in that area a bit outside of clones?

I'm pretty sure F4 and F2 are both listed as 10 frames, which is actually pretty fast. If something can't be punished by those but can be punished by 1, I'll do 113 Nut punch, ex nut punch, clone db1 (stunt double), or regular shadow kick depending on the situation. If it's only punishable by D1 then I'll do that and go for a mixup I guess.

rafaw

#YouSuck
What punishes are you guys doing on not so unsafe stuff (not unsafe enough for F4)

He seems to be lacking in that area a bit outside of clones?
If the punishable move leaves oponent close and standing, use 113xxnp, if close and a bit lower f24, if the move pushs you or him away, f3[4]rc113/f24....

rafaw

#YouSuck
You can see some of my matches from last weeks GBS on the Galloping Ghost Arcade youtube or twitch archives. Ive used Cage, Scorpion and Raiden so far at GBS.
i Saw that, your already a monster with JC!! what do you think about jc so far, is he strong?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
i Saw that, your already a monster with JC!! what do you think about jc so far, is he strong?
Yeah. Its too early to determine anything specific (tiers, MU numbers, etc) but I think hes in a pretty good spot, tools wise. I use mainly A-List but Stunt Double looks like it could be a solid variation too. Not sure if Fisticuffs is worthwhile, it seems to be outclassed by the other two pretty thoroughly.

rafaw

#YouSuck
Yeah. Its too early to determine anything specific (tiers, MU numbers, etc) but I think hes in a pretty good spot, tools wise. I use mainly A-List but Stunt Double looks like it could be a solid variation too. Not sure if Fisticuffs is worthwhile, it seems to be outclassed by the other two pretty thoroughly.
Yeah, same here, dont see how Fisticuffs can be viable! Actually i barelly see the need to use SD, a-list seens to be a mk9 jc on steroids lol, too early to say for sure but he looks really close or better to his mk9 version in terms of pressure.

We just need an accurate frame data =(

Grats for your JC, its by far the one i like most :D

btw, just so you guys know. If you press 3 twice when doing the np, it comes out much faster. In A-list if you do the corner combo of F24 D1 F3 EXnp then 12 12 4 np without pressing 3 twice the np won't come out in time, But if you press 3 twice it'll come out almost instantly, similar to the other variations.

Last edited:
im trying to play him. once he actually gets you blocking he seems really good but idk his normals are so slow and have such horrendous range (besides f3). finding it hard to get in

btw, just so you guys know. If you press 3 twice when doing the np, it comes out much faster. In A-list if you do the corner combo of F24 D1 F3 EXnp then 12 12 4 np without pressing 3 twice the np won't come out in time, But if you press 3 twice it'll come out almost instantly, similar to the other variations.
As an example, in this video the np wouldn't have come out in time if I just pressed 3 once.