What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Then idk what to tell you, if you think hes bad with the tools he has then *shrug* general consensus in socal is that cage is stupid good and gives most of the characters a hard time (I say most because I havent gotten to play every character with every variation, the only one thats currently giving me some trouble is spec ops cassie)
Nah i think everyone in the Game is okay but imo he needs some minor stuff. But like i said maybe we will find something sick that changes that.

Then idk what to tell you, if you think hes bad with the tools he has then *shrug* general consensus in socal is that cage is stupid good and gives most of the characters a hard time (I say most because I havent gotten to play every character with every variation, the only one thats currently giving me some trouble is spec ops cassie)
Any videos of yourself playing?

Fergus

Like Father, Like Daughter
I dunno if anyone explored this aspect of stunt double but he gets a safe confirm off 113 with his shadows. Cassie's reversal DB2 was blocked.

113 xx clone shadow kick gives you a meterless launcher off it in the corner.

D1 12 12 12 12 114 xx nut cracker for 36%

And with 2 shadows.

d1 4 xx DB1 NJP 12 12 114 xx nutcracker does 44% altho it might be worth keeping that shadow for another safe mixup.

You can use DB1 as well but shadow kick does a little bit more damage.

Have any videos of yourself playing?
Nope but you should check some of CD Jrs twitch archives and watch Maxter play. A lot of footsies with D4 and baiting/whiff punishing.

It just seems like most people pop into this thread going "Johnny isn't good because he doesn't have a crazy 50/50 high low mix up game" which is true but that's really not how you should be trying to play him.

Last edited:

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
Nope but you should check some of CD Jrs twitch archives and watch Maverick play. A lot of footsies with D4 and baiting/whiff punishing.

It just seems like most people pop into this thread going "Johnny isn't good because he doesn't have a crazy 50/50 high low mix up game" which is true but that's really not how you should be trying to play him.
You mean maximo? Because Im maverick lol(in some tourneys anyways haha)

throw after np is a really smart way to conserve meter, and his run cancels are really good. But in high pressure situations, his rc's suddenly seem very hard to do, especially to find the timing to get two of them. JC is a really good character in theory, IMO, but some of the options other characters have in this game dwarves his by a good amount.

That being said, it's going to be cold day in hell when I drop this character. JC for life.

Fergus

Like Father, Like Daughter
113 xx mimic seems to be a safe setup midscreen because of the pushback on hit.

Not safe in the corner however.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
throw after np is a really smart way to conserve meter, and his run cancels are really good. But in high pressure situations, his rc's suddenly seem very hard to do, especially to find the timing to get two of them. JC is a really good character in theory, IMO, but some of the options other characters have in this game dwarves his by a good amount.

That being said, it's going to be cold day in hell when I drop this character. JC for life.
Honestly RC isnt that bad, I went to krayzies and I was dropping all my RC for that same reason(tourney pressure) so I went into the lab and I found a way to get the RC inputs to come out MUCH easier, Ive told a few people about it for other characters and now RC drops are a thing of the past lol

rafaw

#YouSuck
Honestly RC isnt that bad, I went to krayzies and I was dropping all my RC for that same reason(tourney pressure) so I went into the lab and I found a way to get the RC inputs to come out MUCH easier, Ive told a few people about it for other characters and now RC drops are a thing of the past lol
Can you share that way to get rc inputs easier? mp me =)

JDM

Noob
Cage is actually ridiculous. Harder than mk9 but probably just as good if not better.

I know a lot of people like being spoon fed frame traps but if you go and break him down like i did (and some others in this thread) you'll see he's really good.

I posted a video of me playing a friend in another thread, go watch it if you wanna see johnnys pressure.

played my first long offline session (+100 games) last night, and i still think he's preeeettyyy decent. i was mainly playing stunt double against a ferra/tor in lackey and a subzero in grandmaster.

i'll post some MU specifics things in an appropriate thread, but overall he felt really strong. Success often determined by how consistently i could get in a flow with keeping clones stocked; which was easier then my initial worries suggested.

by using things like run 11 and run d4/d1 pressure, you can get your opponent to play cautiously, giving you space to activate pretty freely.

i know it costs a bunch of resource, but ex clone uppercut is huuuggeee. it can be used for pressure (ex clone upper run xx 11 into 50/50 was super free) and is major for turning momentum around. When used correctly, and in worst case scenarios would in a favorable trade with neutral reset. i mean, you can turn an unfavorable situation into one that can result in getting out of said pressure and starting your own or a ~30% combo that only cost you one bar and one clone.

clone shadow kick is ridiculous mid range. completely safe and seems too hard to react to, so often you either get them in a block or catch them doing something, either gives you opportunity to begin your offense.

this is likely due to the MUs, but i found myself wanting to be at ranges where i could either:

- activate at a safe distance/chuck a ball or two (couldn't really full screen too much)
- be right outside one another's optimal footsie distance. JC has pretty nutso whiff punishes, so as opposed to challenging, it was more worth to let them make mistakes, and if they were playing safe, chuck out a clone to force them into block stun to start my own thing.
- be right up in their face with 11/clone uppercut pressure.

whenever i came across an obstacle that was getting me down (i.e. sub's ice clone) i found it fairly easy to make an adjustment and switch up which tools i was using to counter.

I think JC is pretty good, and i think it will be beneficial to learn both a list and stunt double to cover MUs. characters that will do well against JC are characters who can out zone him or out footsie him imo; stunt double ex clone is extremely good wakeup that can negate a lot of the early oki going on.

so yeah, for stunt double, get comfortable sacrificing damage/immediate pressure for activate, and i would suggest learning to gauge the rhythm of your combos/pressure in such a way that you can plan around activate

Last edited:
oh and something weird i noticed; i can get 113 xx clone upper to connect consistently on subzero on two player side, but whiffs on 1 player side. i tried this in training mode a bunch and always went down like that, so wasn't an instance of mistiming. v v weird and should be fixed to always connect

This is the most insightful comment I've ever read in my life, you explained all the minute details and reasons why he's a terrible character. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Seriously, dude?
Any reason why you want to argue? All his special moves are punishable the only thing I found remotely effective when using Cage is that he can zone pretty good and his 1,2 into nut punch is not a bad combo starter. But other than that I will just keep messing around with him until I find something that will change my mind. I'm only using his fist a cuffs variant.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
oh and something weird i noticed; i can get 113 xx clone upper to connect consistently on subzero on two player side, but whiffs on 1 player side. i tried this in training mode a bunch and always went down like that, so wasn't an instance of mistiming. v v weird and should be fixed to always connect
Had that too

Wrath0594

Any reason why you want to argue? All his special moves are punishable the only thing I found remotely effective when using Cage is that he can zone pretty good and his 1,2 into nut punch is not a bad combo starter. But other than that I will just keep messing around with him until I find something that will change my mind. I'm only using his fist a cuffs variant.
Wut? Isn't nutpunch punishable and not hit confirmable out of 1,2?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just thought it was bad etiquette to just say he was a bad character without stating any reasons. I appreciate that you stated your reasons, and I think you have a good point. But it's still too early to call Cage 'terrible'. Here's hoping someone can find something to propel the character and make him more safe. I personally think A-List Johnny has the potential to be a really good character, because of his run cancels.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Wrath0594

Was playing with it and thought it was stance specific- 1p facing cmera, and 2p side facing away, but more experimentation just makes it seem horribly inconsistent. Also doesn't work on any female characters. Hopefully gets hitbox increased. It might be consistent on bigger chracters like Erron Black, Goro, FT.