What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
Compared to Hellfire Scorp or Special Forces Sonya, they are complete ass.
THIS!!!
I want to (and still currently do) main JC so bad, but lets be real here. Compared to a cast with insanely better: Reach, Mix-ups, Damage (A-list), Safety, 50/50s, Ways to build meter, and Advantage on block normals......JC is trash. I love him and I still haven't found anyone I like better (currently experimenting with brawler Cassie) but come on guys, when you compare him 1:1 with most of the cast, he doesn't have the tools to compete.

yeah its pretty funny honestly. you got characters like erron black and cassie with incredible, fast, almost safe high low/low high strings, 0 on block 10 frame strings that move you forward half screen, with really good wakeup moves and true 50/50s that you cant reversal out of on the one hand, and then you have johnny's mids not even hitting mid/forward moving string isnt safe/horrific high low game/a buff state that nullifies two of his armored wakeups making his onl wakeup with buff state nutpunch which has basically no range/etc

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
oh and pakostevens just confirmed in a twitch chat that his 12, 11, b2 mids will eventually be fixed along with the unequal ranges on his clone db1 stocks.
what I'd like for Johnny (I do fine with him now but if I had to get some buffs... ;) )

F34 now -4
b2 true mid
the 2 in 12 true mid
d4 0 on block. (this is pushing it)
Reloading mimics while you have mimics already during danger reloads with red mimics.

BTW, just for comparison..Cassie's 11 is also listed as high, mid but BOTH hits are actually blocked by crouching characters. That's just not fair.

Are there any players out there who are playing A-list johnny cage well? I am really enjoying playing as him, and I'd like to see what they are doing.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Are there any players out there who are playing A-list johnny cage well? I am really enjoying playing as him, and I'd like to see what they are doing.
My brain knows how to win with him, my hands don't.

What you wanna be doing is constant pressure, A list is at it's best if you never leave close/mid range. His knee is how you close the gap from mid to close, and it can be made safe by a dash cancel.
A List is not about high damage combos, it's about never letting your opponent breathe, try to end your combos with balls or flips or if you're in the corner, shadow kicks, these moves keep the opponent close. Nut punch sucks as an ender because it doesn't knock down and is hard to time right and because there's no i-frames in this game, cage excels at keeping pressure on the opponents wakeup, with tools such as his amazingly quick overhead that leads to a string that's safe on block, and his nasty fast low kicks and his throw.

There's not much stuff A List does that's unsafe when he's played properly, you have to whiff entirely to be punished the hardest.

Sulfur

"Nut punch sucks as an ender because it doesn't knock down"

:tonyt
Nut punch is better in Fisticuffs and Stunt Double, Everything about it feels wrong in A List. I love to use the EX version to extend the damage on my combos but the regular version isn't all that good unless you're in a corner, I much prefer to end my combos with fireballs.

why would you ever want to knock them down, that just gives them 3 different wake up options + armored reversals..if you nutpunch you can jail them with a st 1 and they have to eat more pressure

Sulfur

Interesting, I'll have to try that out.

What kind of damage can he achieve off an st1 with no bar?

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Just went in practice and I feel like playing this guy. A-list has good pressure and fisticuffs is derpy when you put someone in the corner and b1212121212121212~exdf2 xx run cancel xx b12121212121212.

Is their a most viable variant because I'd rather play a list for the pressure

Sulfur

113 xx Nut punch

Probably like 20%
beautiful combo though.
Is it just me or does that combo not seem to work all the time in a list, I'll do it but sometimes the nut punch will whiff entirely.
I have to point out that it works all the time in fisticuffs and Stunt Double.

In the corner, knee into fully charged nut punch is devastating, and you can delay the launch on the EX which makes it even better

Sulfur

Just went in practice and I feel like playing this guy. A-list has good pressure and fisticuffs is derpy when you put someone in the corner and b1212121212121212~exdf2 xx run cancel xx b12121212121212.

Is their a most viable variant because I'd rather play a list for the pressure
A list is viable against every character that isn't grandmaster sub zero lol, you might wanna consider stunt double for that matchup.

Sulfur

Hey does the rage he gets when at 5% life or lower do anything other than increase damage on special moves?
doesn't seem to do anything else, Johnny just becomes a tekken character for a bit is all.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
A list is viable against every character that isn't grandmaster sub zero lol, you might wanna consider stunt double for that matchup.
I just love seeing someone's health chip away.

I think I'm gonna pick him up as a main if he sticks up to the expectations I have for him

Sulfur

The only thing i wish johnny could do is combo off a low, it seems almost as if it's a tool that he needs but for whatever reason doesn't have.

Even a simple low kick to nut punch would be nice.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
The only thing i wish johnny could do is combo off a low, it seems almost as if it's a tool that he needs but for whatever reason doesn't have.

Even a simple low kick to nut punch would be nice.
Agreed but then A-list could literally be a monster with a vortex and pressure into vortex. But I understand what your saying

Joshkazkab

I am the Protector of Russia's Skies!
Its still a low that he can combo off of that you can always just cancel with a BF3 back dash or run cancel, or do 121 RC to keep it going. Even then you want to condition them to block low. The more they hold D+ Block the better it is for you.