What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Anyone else notice how long it takes to reactivate Mimic after you've used one of his clones? Takes at least 5 seconds so you better make them count.
6 and a half seconds, actually! I still feel like Stunt Double is his strongest variation atm.

-It seems to get the most combo damage both midscreen and especially corner
-Positive frames on clone shadow kick can make a lot of moves safe like f3 and create unique pressure options, especially with ex clone db1
-113 into clone db1 gives him an actual low starter in the corner which can be used for surprises or mindgames

Overall, he still feels pretty weak atm, but I've had some fun mixing 11's and f24's into a lot of shenanigans.
Also, what's the difference between run block/crouch and dash block besides eating stamina? Am I missing something? Because I haven't had any trouble with zoners, even with Johnny.

Last edited:
What's Johnny's best normal he can throw out to get out of pressure? Had a match against a Liu earlier and was having problems punishing.

I also gotta get used to pressuring guys. On a positive, I finally got the f24, d1, f3, nut punch down. I tried it online, it didn't work out so well. lol

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
well i figured out that 113 is interruptable without armor (d1) .. sometimes i was gettin the 3 d1'd and the cancel d1'd right after the 3 it varied ..

also it was fully blocked so it wasnt a wiffed 11 interupt of course.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
What's Johnny's best normal he can throw out to get out of pressure? Had a match against a Liu earlier and was having problems punishing.

I also gotta get used to pressuring guys. On a positive, I finally got the f24, d1, f3, nut punch down. I tried it online, it didn't work out so well. lol
d1,d4 are great normals, you can also interrupt some things with exnut or exflipkick/shadow uppercut

Fergus

Like Father, Like Daughter
Is Johnny's 114 +1/2 on block?

I did 114 on block into hold up and played it back, and Johnny was slightly higher than me.

Seems like an extremely useful string when you get them to stand block cuz of F24 and hitconfirmable into nutpunch as well in the corner.

Last edited:

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Okay guys, I'm officially dropping Cage :( Fisticuffs is the only variation I was interested in and he simply doesn't have the tools or mix ups that so many of the other characters have. I'm tired of being spammed out especially without dash block, and once you know his overhead string he really doesn't have anything to mix up with and even if you get a nutshot its not a free jump in with block string how it used to be. So my question to you guys is who should I switch to? I'm wondering who has the most mix ups and tools. Sonya looks like she has freaking everything and KL and Cassie are looking strong too, any suggestions?
I'm in the same situation that you're in. If you're looking more for mixups, I'd say go with Cassie. I jumped ship to Erron Black, myself.

I'm not dropping Johnny, but I am going on a hiatus from him until players with a much higher skill level than me can find some viable techs and combos with him. Its just so tough now to get anything going from the guy, it seems.

Fergus

Seems like 214 is a favourable option after nutcracker in the corner. Get 3% free chip and 0 on block (tested with jump test)

I tried to make him work but until more tech is discovered im shelving cage. I like rushing and johnny dont seem to really have it this time around. Most of his strings are negative or combo punishable on block....f3 cancels seem meh. Its alot of work for not much reward. Compared to other chars with cancels like dvorah. His forceball trap isnt a trap anymore since it can be poked.

Idk stunt double seems like a poor mans kenshi and just isnt my thing.

Guess hes just not my style this time around. /shrug

Fergus

If you D2 an opponent and they were directly on top of you, you can combo into shadow kick midscreen.

In the corner, you can do F3 xx ex nutcracker NJP 12 12 12 114 xx nutcracker for 36%

Fergus

333 xx EX DB1 adds on 8.25% chip and is guaranteed after a nutcracker for 1 bar.

333 xx DB2 (Stunt Double) does 5% chip.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
People dropping cage like a dj drops the beat!

How are you going to have a "rush down" character with average run/walk speed and 90% of his block strings negative?

I could never drop Johnny because he's my favorite character but dudes looking pretty low here.

Feel free to make me eat crow though.

It's my favorite.
f3(4) is plus, 12(1) rc is plus, 4xShadow Kick rc is plus, f24xshadow kick rc is plus d4xshadowkick rc is plus
d4 low profiles jump ins and most normals plus it has one of the furthest reaching d4's in the game and it almost always hits(due to fear of f2) so on d4 you get a free rc. Lemme know when you want me to stop

Last edited:

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
f3(4) is plus, 12(1) rc is plus, 4xShadow Kick rc is plus, f24xshadow kick rc is plus d4xshadowkick rc is plus
d4 low profiles jump ins and most normals plus it has one of the furthest reaching d4's in the game and it almost always hits(due to fear of f2) so on d4 you get a free rc. Lemme know when you want me to stop
Lol lmk when u get enough energy to do all of that :)

Real talk though only one that's really viable plus on block is f34 .. The others either start to slow or hit high. Sometimes ill use f24 fc backdash to try n wiff punish something but. The forward isnt really all that great especially since u can only do 2 or 3 cancels max. Better hope u don't get opened up during either cuz bye breaker

rafaw

#YouSuck
This!!!

He just stated everything, imo he still is a rushdown caracter, he got a nice mix up game! you can 11 stop and do f24 combo, or just 1 stop f24... after np the situation is the same, you can f3[4]rc into 11 stop f24, or 113 exfb, throw, d4 for a 50/50 attempt again. And if you got meter to burn, you can just do 113xxnp with late mb and catch then trying to punish, with that you might not get punish on blocked np next time.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
This!!!

He just stated everything, imo he still is a rushdown caracter, he got a nice mix up game! you can 11 stop and do f24 combo, or just 1 stop f24... after np the situation is the same, you can f3[4]rc into 11 stop f24, or 113 exfb, throw, d4 for a 50/50 attempt again.
Ye that used to work til ppl learned. Now ull get block buffered by a d1 or fast special if u try staggering 11. 113 is punish or interruptable. Exfb are like +1-2. i still play him but til wwe find something we don't see yet. Gotta hope ppl don't know the mu

rafaw

#YouSuck
Ye that used to work til ppl learned. Now ull get block buffered by a d1 or fast special if u try staggering 11. 113 is punish or interruptable. Exfb are like +1-2. i still play him but til wwe find something we don't see yet. Gotta hope ppl don't know the mu
Thats true at some point, but this f3[4]rc is really strong, and after np 4xx[sk]xxrc is +14 on block or something like that, you still got a 50/50 every time with a bit of chip as a bonus.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
Lol lmk when u get enough energy to do all of that :)

Real talk though only one that's really viable plus on block is f34 .. The others either start to slow or hit high. Sometimes ill use f24 fc backdash to try n wiff punish something but. The forward isnt really all that great especially since u can only do 2 or 3 cancels max. Better hope u don't get opened up during either cuz bye breaker
1) You get 2 RC's with tight timing which is more than enough, and your timing is probably bad because Lao cant interrupt f24 shadow kick rc f24 with hat spin, unless hes in tempest but in that case f24 1 stops ex hat spin, its hard but doable
2) Stand 4 is a high but hits regardless if they are blocking low(try it out I promise it works), the only way to avoid 4 is neutral ducking but who is stupid enough to neutral duck johnny?
3) Off a throw(which you should be using alot of) you get all your energy back, so I love to do alot of f3(4) rc throw, the only way to avoid it is by neutral ducking(look back at #2)
4) EXForceballs are +4, you get a free d1/d3 check and at the right spacing only a few characters can counter poke not to mention about half your stamina recovers when once you use a string like say f24 exforceballs (which can't be interrupted)
Feels like your saying he's bad because he isnt as easy as he was in MK9, if thats the case I promise youre going to have a bad time in mkx, because give it 3-5 months this game is going to revolve around footsies(where johnny shines). As for what other characters can or cant do, that sounds like you problem is well, You gotta play johnny according to the match up not the other way around, I can legit see this character being in the top tier but he takes alot of work! IDK about you bro's but I have so much tech with this guy its not even funny. Here Ill give you a freebie on the house that I was saving for NWM, if you time it properly you can use Nut Punch to low profile cross over jump in punches, fuck it im in a giving mood with tight execution in A-list johnny doesnt have to spend meter because meter combos only do at most 3-6% more which you can easily get more damage off of in a throw after nut punch to save your meter(12(1) rc f3(4) rc f24 12 f3 NP is like 31% if i remember correctly where his easiest combos off a f3(4) rc is 33%)

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
1) You get 2 RC's with tight timing which is more than enough, and your timing is probably bad because Lao cant interrupt f24 shadow kick rc f24 with hat spin, unless hes in tempest but in that case f24 1 stops ex hat spin, its hard but doable
2) Stand 4 is a high but hits regardless if they are blocking low(try it out I promise it works), the only way to avoid 4 is neutral ducking but who is stupid enough to neutral duck johnny?
3) Off a throw(which you should be using alot of) you get all your energy back, so I love to do alot of f3(4) rc throw, the only way to avoid it is by neutral ducking(look back at #2)
4) EXForceballs are +4, you get a free d1/d3 check and at the right spacing only a few characters can counter poke not to mention about half your stamina recovers when once you use a string like say f24 exforceballs (which can't be interrupted)
Feels like your saying he's bad because he isnt as easy as he was in MK9, if thats the case I promise youre going to have a bad time in mkx, because give it 3-5 months this game is going to revolve around footsies(where johnny shines). As for what other characters can or cant do, that sounds like you problem is well, You gotta play johnny according to the match up not the other way around, I can legit see this character being in the top tier but he takes alot of work! IDK about you bro's but I have so much tech with this guy its not even funny. Here Ill give you a freebie on the house that I was saving for NWM, if you time it properly you can use Nut Punch to low profile cross over jump in punches, fuck it im in a giving mood with tight execution in A-list johnny doesnt have to spend meter because meter combos only do at most 3-6% more which you can easily get more damage off of in a throw after nut punch to save your meter(12(1) rc f3(4) rc f24 12 f3 NP is like 31% if i remember correctly where his easiest combos off a f3(4) rc is 33%)
My execution is fine trust me Lmao. And forceballs are not plus 4 the data is wrong. Go neutral jump after n check it urself. N trust me I love playing technical characters but as of right meow hes lacking a bit. Hopefully ill find something really sick soon.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
Then idk what to tell you, if you think hes bad with the tools he has then *shrug* general consensus in socal is that cage is stupid good and gives most of the characters a hard time (I say most because I havent gotten to play every character with every variation, the only one thats currently giving me some trouble is spec ops cassie)