What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

f2,4 exForceball/Xray

Also just so everyone knows there are a few times I get really weird options but haven't got them consistent. You can do strings and input specials but not have them come out. So you might be able to do a string and end it with nut punch if the string lands BUT not do the nut punch if the string is blocked.

I need advise with johnny. I went into this game thinking cage would be my no.2. I tried him first day and didn't see much dirt at first glance. Then I went to subz and ermac and found some good stuff right off the bat. Now I'm trying to go back and rethink some things with johnny, to find even some remotely cheap stuff to make him viable. I have found nothing. Is johnny really just that fair and average?

Last edited:

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Should name the thread "It's ok to cry." For some reason I cannot stop laughing whenever I hear him say that after a Nutpunch.

Bryck Walle

Counting the Days for the JCVD Johnny Costume!
Anyone else notice how long it takes to reactivate Mimic after you've used one of his clones? Takes at least 5 seconds so you better make them count.

I need advise with johnny. I went into this cage thinking cage would be my no.2. I tried him first day and didn't see much dirt at first glance. Then I went to subz and ermac and found some good stuff right off the bat. Now I'm trying to go back and rethink some things with johnny, to find even some remotely cheap stuff to make him viable. I have found nothing. Is johnny really just that fair and average?
im relatively new to MK, so take what I say with some massive grains of something or other.

johnny feels like a really honest character at the beginning of a round/neutral situation. this isn't to say he is bad, he just requires a more strict approach to footsies and conditioning to open his opponent up. you can use the f24 string, 113 string, and his various zoning tools to do this.

however, once he gets his pressure going, he has lots of great options, particularly if you are using stunt double or a list. ending combos in nut punch means a standing reset where you can go into mixups like basic high/lows or more tricky stuff involving with tools like ex clone uppercut.

he can also gain a corner position really quickly with basic combos ending with shadow kick, giving you great positioning to work your offense.

right now there isn't a lot of play videos of high level johnny (or at least not that i am aware of), but i'm sure in the future we will be seeing his tools being implemented in a way we can learn from.

Anyone else notice how long it takes to reactivate Mimic after you've used one of his clones? Takes at least 5 seconds so you better make them count.

i really wanna see one of two things happen to activate - either less cool down after use or reduce the startup in such a way the you can sacrifice mixup after nut punch for safe activate.

really interested in hearing how more experienced players are getting into a rhythm of activation - i know you can get it eazy peezy off of the 114 string, but finding that rather situational

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
Okay guys, I'm officially dropping Cage :( Fisticuffs is the only variation I was interested in and he simply doesn't have the tools or mix ups that so many of the other characters have. I'm tired of being spammed out especially without dash block, and once you know his overhead string he really doesn't have anything to mix up with and even if you get a nutshot its not a free jump in with block string how it used to be. So my question to you guys is who should I switch to? I'm wondering who has the most mix ups and tools. Sonya looks like she has freaking everything and KL and Cassie are looking strong too, any suggestions?

Alist johnny stuff:
Forward 3 into feint is sick. U can really put the scare on them with simple pokes. Good punish for some whiffs.

Also back 2 (held for 1 sec) seems to be ungrabbeable sometimes lol..and it can be canceled as well. useful?

shadow kick cancels tech out there?

subz fight is tough but ok

Last edited:

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Johnny is such a solid fundamental character. He doesn't need a bunch of 50/50's to win in this game

Johnny is such a solid fundamental character. He doesn't need a bunch of 50/50's to win in this game
It would definitely be nice if he had at least one, though :(

Looking back in the history of NRS games, has there ever been a top-tier without a 50/50? It seems to me that it's a must have. Especially for a traditionally rush down character like JC. Though to be fair, his zoning game is substantially better in this game, which is a huge plus.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
It would definitely be nice if he had at least one, though :(

Looking back in the history of NRS games, has there ever been a top-tier without a 50/50? It seems to me that it's a must have. Especially for a traditionally rush down character like JC. Though to be fair, his zoning game is substantially better in this game, which is a huge plus.
Cyrax didn't really have a 50/50 but that reset, command grab, and super plus d4 made him scary. He may not be the most top but I think he will be just fine in this game. He we will take time to flesh out.

Is s
Okay guys, I'm officially dropping Cage :( Fisticuffs is the only variation I was interested in and he simply doesn't have the tools or mix ups that so many of the other characters have. I'm tired of being spammed out especially without dash block, and once you know his overhead string he really doesn't have anything to mix up with and even if you get a nutshot its not a free jump in with block string how it used to be. So my question to you guys is who should I switch to? I'm wondering who has the most mix ups and tools. Sonya looks like she has freaking everything and KL and Cassie are looking strong too, any suggestions?
I'd say definitely go with A-list, the f3(4) run cancels are a little short of godlike for pressure. I'd be more than happy to help you with basics. My Psn is PHANTOM8ball

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
Is s

I'd say definitely go with A-list, the f3(4) run cancels are a little short of godlike for pressure. I'd be more than happy to help you with basics. My Psn is PHANTOM8ball
Awesome!, Thank you, I'll add you next time I get on. I love Cage he's always been my favorite but I just can't get my pressure game going the way I used to in MK9 and without the dashblock spammers are killing me.