What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
At this point were beating a dead horse saying Fisticuffs needs buffs. I want it to be buffed as well but that would require NRS to admit they made a mistake and that's No No.

Cage mains: "Buff Fisticuffs it is so low tier it NEEDS to get something."

Paulo: "Fisticuffs is fine. Just Anti-Air with B12 more." :DOGE
Well, our voice needs to be heard. I mean, I doubt that grab buff would have appeared if Cage community had remained silent.
It's not enough, of course, but it's a start, and at least shows that nrs is not completely ignoring the variation.

Also, nrs rolled back other things in the past, right? Something with Dvorah, I think...? Could happen with FC. Nrs should try. Prepatch fisticuffs would not win any tournaments now anyway, so... xD

Last edited:

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
So uh, RIP Johnny Cage's footsie game? D4 is now as negative as f24. Expect to lose your turn after every blocked d4 now? I loved playing JC footsies so much, and this nerf seems insane, especially when jax's d1d2 is getting its frame data IMPROVED.
Obviously this isn't gonna send him to the depths of Jason tier (well, fisticuffs is probably there now) but I will probably never again be able to catch people trying to counterpoke d4 again, huh?

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
So uh, RIP Johnny Cage's footsie game? D4 is now as negative as f24. Expect to lose your turn after every blocked d4 now? I loved playing JC footsies so much, and this nerf seems insane, especially when jax's d1d2 is getting its frame data IMPROVED.
Obviously this isn't gonna send him to the depths of Jason tier (well, fisticuffs is probably there now) but I will probably never again be able to catch people trying to counterpoke d4 again, huh?
D4 should be used to go under high normals and poke forward advancing opponents. It still does that, you shouldnt be using it as a pressure tool (unless you run cancel it), thats what d3 is for

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
At this point I am 99% confident in the SD 113 mimic whiffs have been fixed. If you look at Cage when he has the mimics, the mimic that was closest to him is now on top of him and the one that was furthest from Cage is now where the other mimic used to be.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Such a stupid comment

Mashing D4 is not footsies

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Such a stupid comment

Mashing D4 is not footsies
Spacing yourself with d4 puts you in perfect f3 range which can whiff punish whatever they try to counterpoke with, now that it's -6 you can probably just use whatever advancing mid you want and Johnny will have to block. Meaning d4 on block ends his turn.

Now in seen that I never abused D4 like I should have I always felt toon dirty mashing D4 on black because I could like it never registered with my muscle memory so that could a reason it feels not too different too me
I'm the same. I tend to use D4 as a mimic summon OS, anti air and way to low profile certain projectiles, as well as a poke to begin f3-MSK pressure ON HIT. I always felt that that the start up of D4 made it a poor mashing option on block. It's so easy for someone to counter poke with a much faster d4, like Kano, Scorp, Sub, Shinnok....

If I can continue to trip guard with it I'll be happy. It really opened up his anti air game when you introduced me to the idea. I feel he'd suffer if that was nerfed and his S1, F4 or D2 wasn't buffed to compensate.

Is there a run cancel in f24 12 f24 ex nut 12 f3-nut? The last 12 always seems to push the opponent out of f3 range. I'm practicing against Mileena

Last edited:

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
I was playing Saltface a day or 2 ago on the Beta and something strange happened with SD Cage and B34. So in the main game currently if you do B34 Mimic summon DB1 it'll combo but now it doesn't. You can check it out here http://www.twitch.tv/saltyquinn/v/38125690 Skip to 5:42 for the change. Now I'm wondering if they changed the A-List Dash cancels.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Is there a run cancel in f24 12 f24 ex nut 12 f3-nut? The last 12 always seems to push the opponent out of f3 range. I'm practicing against Mileena
Maybe it can be done without rc, but if you put one it will be easier.

So f24 12 f24 ex nut rc 12 f3-nut, or even f24 12 f24 ex nut 12 rc f3-nut.

It's good to know this kind of combos, but also the simpler versions without run cancels which can lead to drops sometimes.
For example, for the previous one, the reduction would be f24 12 f24 ex nut 1 f3-nut. No need of rc and only lose 1% damage

Another example, for the combo Mantis posted, which was f24 d1 f24 d1 f3 ex nut rc 12 f3-nut, you can do this one f24 d1 f24 d1 f3 ex nut 1 f3-nut, stamina free and only losing 1%.

This kind of combos can be very reliable offline with a bit of practice. However online is a different world. Let's hope the new netcode changes this!

Last edited:
Maybe it can be done without rc, but if you put one it will be easier.

So f24 12 f24 ex nut rc 12 f3-nut, or even f24 12 f24 ex nut 12 rc f3-nut.

It's good to know this kind of combos, but also the simpler versions without run cancels which can lead to drops sometimes.
For example, for the previous one, the reduction would be f24 12 f24 ex nut 1 f3-nut. No need of rc and only lose 1% damage

Another example, for the combo Mantis posted, which was f24 d1 f24 d1 f3 ex nut rc 12 f3-nut, you can do this one f24 d1 f24 d1 f3 ex nut 1 f3-nut, stamina free and only losing 1%.

This kind of combos can be very reliable offline with a bit of practice. However online is a different world. Let's hope the new netcode changes this!
I figured out a while back that 1 juggles easier than 12 and got the two you listed to work with by doing that, but I want to push myself to get that last little bit of damage mostly just to prove I can do it.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
After 1 hour of Beta games using only A-List, I have these impressions:

1) His nutpunch now causes less blockstun. One opponent was able to d1 the second hit of MB Nutpunch, and I didn't delay it much
2) d4 nerf is significant
3) The new breaker hurts a lot, getting used to it will take a while
4) His sweep is much faster
5) S1 still whiffes against small duckblocking characters, I experienced it against Mileena and Sub-Zero
6) I can land all my combos online without worrying too much. Playing the beta really feels like offline to me. Up to 200 ms delay I never had any problem