What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Just got done with about an hour session with SD on the beta...

D4 still goes under Sub Zero's ex-ice ball so I'm not sure how nerfed the low profile was. Damn though, D4 feels funny, even on hit.

I was able to do run~nut punch after X-ray on the first time I tried it!!! I have NEVER once landed it before online.

As for SD specific stuff, the combos felt really easy, but I didn't get to test much. I kept trying to do the 70% X-ray corner combo but never got the chance.

Overall I'm happy about the net code, sad about the D4 nerf.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Just got done with about an hour session with SD on the beta...

D4 still goes under Sub Zero's ex-ice ball so I'm not sure how nerfed the low profile was. Damn though, D4 feels funny, even on hit.

I was able to do run~nut punch after X-ray on the first time I tried it!!! I have NEVER once landed it before online.

As for SD specific stuff, the combos felt really easy, but I didn't get to test much. I kept trying to do the 70% X-ray corner combo but never got the chance.

Overall I'm happy about the net code, sad about the D4 nerf.
I notice the low profiling properties change when people tries to crossup me. In the current game a d4 well timed tended to make the crossup punch whiff. Not you usually get full punished.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I notice the low profiling properties change when people tries to crossup me. In the current game a d4 well timed tended to make the crossup punch whiff. Not you usually get full punished.
Yes! I played for a long time today and noticed the same thing. I couldn't low profile jump attacks very well at all. I think the hurt box around his shoulders is taller.

After that I just started using standing 1 and uppercuts and they worked much better in the beta. So all hope is not gone.

Yes! I played for a long time today and noticed the same thing. I couldn't low profile jump attacks very well at all. I think the hurt box around his shoulders is taller.

After that I just started using standing 1 and uppercuts and they worked much better in the beta. So all hope is not gone.
The litmus test will be when Lao is patched in. If we can s1 his ji2, all will be well

ismael4790

Yes, and also f4 is more reliable as antiair since the netcode is more fluid, so we have more time to react.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I think our X-Ray combo damage has been reduced. This evening I did the x-ray into run f3xxnutpunch combo while playing the beta, and the damage was 39% :/ If I'm not wrong the same combo does 45% in the current version of MKX

ismael4790

X-ray combos are still the same

I'm I only Cage player who feels his D4 is fine?

Mashing D4 on block or doing D4 into F3 on block was silly in anyway
I think the possible d4 nerf hurts more FC than the other two variations. That's because in SD and A-List f3 has a true purpose, it's a really threatening advancing mid.

In FC d4 was useful to check and to close distance cause f3 does only lead to f34 meterless, and it is not a good way to advance. Now every time d4 is blocked is time to wait.

There was a lot of space between making it -1 and the current -6 in the beta. -3 would have been more fair.

Nerfing Cage normals will always hurt the variation that relies more on them...

Last edited:

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
-
I have no issue with it considering I can actually anti air now.
yeah feels like a D2s got buffed like Sweeps.

How does it feel being to reliably punish 113mrs?

Although it's still shitty that if the low just hits it can whiff but hay I take it.

Asodimazze

-

Although it's still shitty that if the low just hits it can whiff but hay I take it.
D2 looks the same to me, it still doesn't have any horizontal hitbox

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
-

I was able to punish jump kicks with D2. I really feel like if you catch them high enough, you might be able to shadow kick them after. Havent had the opportunity yet though. Seems possible.

The sweep buff is really nice. I'm trying to incorporate it into my game. 9 frame low, that's -12 on block aint too shabby.

As for being able to use 113~MRS. It feels like home. Love it. I couldnt hit confirm 11 or 12 into MRS on the shitty MKX online, but now it's alllll good.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Something is definitely different about the hitbox. It wasn't as easy to check air attacks before. It cant just be in our heads.

edit: however it occurs to me that maybe the opponent's jump in attack hitbox is different and that's why everyone thinks they can anti air better. Not really sure man.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
its definitely different ill try to recoRd a comparison video, i think all D2s have being buffed

How would you know ive never seen you do D2s ever, i always do them, thats also why i die a lot, but i can beat Jax Jump punch now and i never remember that being easier.

Asodimazze

its definitely different ill try to recoRd a comparison video, i think all D2s have being buffed

How would you know ive never seen you do D2s ever, i always do them, thats also why i die a lot, but i can beat Jax Jump punch now and i never remember that being easier.
I almost never use d2 that's true, but from the few d2 I threw out in this days of beta testing It doesn't look any different to me.
I wasn't able to hit opponents jumping over me out of the corner (they jump higher than the d2 animation, just like in regular mkx.... the vertical hitbox isn't changed) and I also failed hitting them with d2 at a short distance while we were both standing. It looks exactly the same to me

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
Hey guys, did anyone check if the hitboxes on ex-forceballs are fixed in the current beta build?
Im really curious to know if 114exfb now hits even the smaller characters when they crouchblock.

ismael4790

At least 2/3 Kenshi variations have become viable and even getting new strings (finally). Commando Kano has become viable...Kitana's sharpen is faster...damn, even impostor shinnok gets buffed.

Will Fisticuffs be finally treated the same way, or nrs will leave him to rot? The grab buff is definitely not enough. Let him breathe nrs. If you buff so many members of the cast he is going to be in a terrible spot unless he gets something else.

I think poor FC is paying now the fact of not having a pro-player behind him to pressure nrs for buffs :(

Last edited:

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
Of course. He will be even more trash. Unless he gets something in exchange.
R.I.P Fisticuffs/Balanced

Shall these variations be exiled into the land of Jason tier.

On a serious this is only a beta. For all we know we might get the B2 trait back, Fisticuffs may be returned to his former glory and then some potentially.

But with Dragon's Fire Kang being nerf, I expect a witch hunt on Johnny.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
it has been confirmed that chip damage has been reduced universally. u guys think this will affect fisticuffs?
It affects all Johnny variations. As a Stunt Double main, I expect around 20-30% damage just on chip per round. Man...now I gotta calculate all the chip strings again.