What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
Is it just me or does that combo not seem to work all the time in a list, I'll do it but sometimes the nut punch will whiff entirely.
I have to point out that it works all the time in fisticuffs and Stunt Double.

In the corner, knee into fully charged nut punch is devastating, and you can delay the launch on the EX which makes it even better
How exactly (input wise) do you delay/activate the second hit of the nut punch? Half the time I do it I get 2 hits and the other just one

It's been said before, that combo is so easy to block it's insane. If you see johnny cage doing 2 fp's just block low and you'll be A-OK
Uhh.... That's why you mix in 11 throw and 11 F24. His mixup is fine. If people are ducking the second hit of 11 then they are holding down block and you can start doing 1 throw, 1 F24, and raw F24 as mixup options. I open people up all day with that stuff. Or you can raw throw of course, but most of the time you'll be doing this mixup after nut punch and then that's not an option.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I think that when you're in Stunt Double you should only use one shadow for midscreen combos,

typically using both you'll get around 40 percent. However using one, getting 29... You'll have a shadow to either perform another 29 or for use in the neutral, which I think can be more rewarding.

Yeah def only use one unless you're gunna kill I think. After you restand, The use of the second one as a db1/exdb1 should help you open them up again

Is it just me or does that combo not seem to work all the time in a list, I'll do it but sometimes the nut punch will whiff entirely.
I have to point out that it works all the time in fisticuffs and Stunt Double.

In the corner, knee into fully charged nut punch is devastating, and you can delay the launch on the EX which makes it even better
Yeah, I seem to have trouble with this occasionally. I just started dipping into A-List after playing Fisticuffs for a while and the slight delay on the Nut Punch is throwing me off a bit. I do love how if you hit confirm it, you can EX when you feel like it, especially if you're trying to carry. Helps a good amount for resets too.

Anyone have any decent luck with run cancelling with f3 in A-List? I was watching the video below for Klassy Sasquatch and not sure how he's getting the knee out so fast one after the other, unless my fingers aren't fast enough. Skip to 0:51 if you're not interested in the beginning. Any ideas?

Started playing a list over the weekend and loved it - so much free pressure.
defo seeing why people are gravitating towards it - stunt double has its place but a list just exaggerates everything that is really good with Johnny on a fundamentals level. It defo makes an easier curve for learning the game - stunt double takes a lot of resource management that is hard to feel out when you're still learning the basics of the game heh.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I'm not sure why there's such a negative air here; in a game primarily ruled by 50/50's, Johnny's is different and less damaging then some of the crazier cats, but I don't think it's any less effective.

I agree that, in A-List at least, he's pretty cut and dry. You have f3, which is 10i and huge range and + if you run cancel, then he has the really fast f2 overhead and very good d3 and d4, and then throw. That's really all you need; f3(4) xx run cancel into d3/d4 or overhead, which can be made pretty damn airtight, moreso from 114 xx shadow kick xx run cancel and 4 xx shadow kick xx run cancel (You can't even armor out of this one! And you get it after a nut punch!)

One thing I think is being under sold is his A-list fireball. Very good recovery, covers a great arc that will catch jumps, and I think does 9%, which is more damaging than average. I'm sure he could overrun a Kitana type with a life lead because of the unique angles he covers.

He seems like a greater Liu Kang, whereas Liu Kang has his low launcher but his overhead option not only does a splat knockdown, it's also punishable. Johnny always has a way to maintain his 50/50 game after his insanely good normal. I don't see the problem aside from not being absolutely insane like the top top guys.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Yeah, I seem to have trouble with this occasionally. I just started dipping into A-List after playing Fisticuffs for a while and the slight delay on the Nut Punch is throwing me off a bit. I do love how if you hit confirm it, you can EX when you feel like it, especially if you're trying to carry. Helps a good amount for resets too.

Anyone have any decent luck with run cancelling with f3 in A-List? I was watching the video below for Klassy Sasquatch and not sure how he's getting the knee out so fast one after the other, unless my fingers aren't fast enough. Skip to 0:51 if you're not interested in the beginning. Any ideas?

thats like the basic cancel you should be doing online.. offline u can do like f3 dash cancel f3 dash cancel f3 runcancel into f24 combo .. lil harder online lol but with practice you can do it offline pretty good

I'm not sure why there's such a negative air here; in a game primarily ruled by 50/50's, Johnny's is different and less damaging then some of the crazier cats, but I don't think it's any less effective.

I agree that, in A-List at least, he's pretty cut and dry. You have f3, which is 10i and huge range and + if you run cancel, then he has the really fast f2 overhead and very good d3 and d4, and then throw. That's really all you need; f3(4) xx run cancel into d3/d4 or overhead, which can be made pretty damn airtight, moreso from 114 xx shadow kick xx run cancel and 4 xx shadow kick xx run cancel (You can't even armor out of this one! And you get it after a nut punch!)

One thing I think is being under sold is his A-list fireball. Very good recovery, covers a great arc that will catch jumps, and I think does 9%, which is more damaging than average. I'm sure he could overrun a Kitana type with a life lead because of the unique angles he covers.

He seems like a greater Liu Kang, whereas Liu Kang has his low launcher but his overhead option not only does a splat knockdown, it's also punishable. Johnny always has a way to maintain his 50/50 game after his insanely good normal. I don't see the problem aside from not being absolutely insane like the top top guys.

agreed, although tbf i can see where people are coming from; all the current "best" characters have easy to abuse gimmicks out of oki, which is easier to gravitate towards then a character who's abusive techniques come out of neutral play. once the game normalizes beyond the focus of vortex/oki and people get used to having to play and rely more on neutral, JC will start to get more attention

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
agreed, although tbf i can see where people are coming from; all the current "best" characters have easy to abuse gimmicks out of oki, which is easier to gravitate towards then a character who's abusive techniques come out of neutral play. once the game normalizes beyond the focus of vortex/oki and people get used to having to play and rely more on neutral, JC will start to get more attention
Of course yeah, meta 1 is super strong now, but I think the next focus will be the guys with lesser, but still strong guessing like JC or Ferra/Torr

Joshkazkab

I am the Protector of Russia's Skies!
Yea, Combo wise I am pretty sure we're good for now unless it just blows away all the other midscreen combos by like 10+% damage wise, or puts you in some godlike unseen before position.

Always need new tech though.

rafaw

#YouSuck
Today i will be testing one thing only, after a np, i will allways mix d4~f3[4]rc into string of choice/throw, and like 1 in 10 np i will do a raw f24, vs a good player they will allways block high after np, so your +22 after the d4 hits, so all they can do is block the f3 cancel or get comboed of it if they dont, after a lot of d4 they might start defending low, either way is a win/win for JC!!

Just some thoughts =)

what insanely good normal are you referring to? f3,4? string is ok. cassie's f3 string/erron black's overhead low string are just flat out better, period.

The inputs are
F3,4(hold4), forward forward block, repeat, 113 ex nut etc
I'll give it a shot, thanks!

thats like the basic cancel you should be doing online.. offline u can do like f3 dash cancel f3 dash cancel f3 runcancel into f24 combo .. lil harder online lol but with practice you can do it offline pretty good
Yeah I'll definitely work with it offline first before I embarrass myself online. Thanks for the help!

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
4 shadow kick-run cancel into 113 or f24 is barely negative on block. Good for corner pressure
barely negative is negative my man.. theres too many fast characters with like 6 frame moves and stuff .. thats gonna get you punished at high lvl. better to save the gimmicks for yourself when u need em but atm i dont recommend ppl gettin too comfortable with this. if anything i do f24 bf4 back dash to bait something and wiff punish or to be a lil safer with spacing and not be in there pressure depending on the character.