What's new

General/Other - Jason Voorhees Jason Voorhees General Discussion Thread

So is slasher pretty much the go to variation for this character?
I have been using either unstoppable or relentless thus far as coming from Cassie his b1 is pretty familiar and I really like his command throws, however a lot of people seem to prefer slasher over the other two variations based on his easy damage. I dunno I just haven't really warmed to slasher that much since his release but I can't deny that his damage is pretty crazy.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
I think he is basically a much better version of kotal khan. I mean if you think about it, i like grapplers so if you compare sun god variation to say for example relentless.

Better high low mixups, three command grabs and at least one of them you can tick through a hit AND a block so it hits regardless. He has an actual anti air throw... which works -unlike kotals. An unlimited armour buff, a teleport, a button mashup move... his has more damage off his normals and to make matters worse, his walkspeed is twice as fast as kotal. His wakeup game is much better aswell, between grabs teleport and shoulder barge all armoured he can get up no problems. I think he's awesome, it just makes me sad they didn't give at least some of these tools to kotal, even if it was the hit/block tick throw.... pfff
I don´t agree :
Kotal has faster poke
Kotal war var. has better strings in terms of 50/50 game and range
Kotal war var. has one of the best wake up tools (db1EX) with huuuuge range and combo intro free 32%
Kotal sun var. has better strings(for example with lows and better range) than non machete var. also can combo easier and with more damage with sun war than non machete variations
Kotal anti air grab can EX for easy damage, Jason can´t
Jason teleport is unsafe
Jason dash and run are.....Jason´s xD

The only things I think Jason is better is machete as a proyectile and the tick throw game with non machete variations
P.D: Well, I think both characters are mids, not top but not bad at all.

Klesk_1

RIP Grundy
I don´t agree :
Kotal has faster poke
Kotal war var. has better strings in terms of 50/50 game and range
Kotal war var. has one of the best wake up tools (db1EX) with huuuuge range and combo intro free 32%
Kotal sun var. has better strings(for example with lows and better range) than non machete var. also can combo easier and with more damage with sun war than non machete variations
Kotal anti air grab can EX for easy damage, Jason can´t
Jason teleport is unsafe
Jason dash and run are.....Jason´s xD

The only things I think Jason is better is machete as a proyectile and the tick throw game with non machete variations
P.D: Well, I think both characters are mids, not top but not bad at all.
lol 'you don't agree', i literally wrote comparing sun god to relentless, you're just talking about something totally different and even the bit you are talking which is relevant, is wrong anyway.
kotal has one low mixup and it's not a combo starter unless it's in a corner, jasons has a genuine two button low overhead chain into combo from anywhere.
kotal's anti air doesn't work 90% of the time, jasons does, -without meter.
who cares if his teleport is unsafe, so is milenas, so is ermacs , at least he has one... you could literally teleport on reaction to kotals crappy projectile which takes a million frames to even start
and the tick throw thing, forget it, sun god is rubbish by comparison
the only point i can conceed is that kotals pokes are better but i really don't think thats enough against the above. kotal needs work, i don't even count sun god as mid tier, it's ass.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
lol 'you don't agree', i literally wrote comparing sun god to relentless, you're just talking about something totally different and even the bit you are talking which is relevant, is wrong anyway.
kotal has one low mixup and it's not a combo starter unless it's in a corner, jasons has a genuine two button low overhead chain into combo from anywhere.
kotal's anti air doesn't work 90% of the time, jasons does, -without meter.
who cares if his teleport is unsafe, so is milenas, so is ermacs , at least he has one... you could literally teleport on reaction to kotals crappy projectile which takes a million frames to even start
and the tick throw thing, forget it, sun god is rubbish by comparison
the only point i can conceed is that kotals pokes are better but i really don't think thats enough against the above. kotal needs work, i don't even count sun god as mid tier, it's ass.
I´m comparing the strings of Sun/Blood god with the non machete strings... what low string has Jason in Relentless or Unstoppable?
War god has godlike strings and slasher pretty decent strings, but the non machete ones are way worst than Kotal´s sun/blood god variations

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
has it been mentioned yet that b122 (the mid.mid.mid string not in slasher) whiffs on crouching blocking character like scorpion or mileena.?
kinda crud for him

I tried playing the Relentless version online against my friends JC...... Found the match very difficult. Esp opening up so I can hit a combo or command grab. Thinking his Hyper Armour is going to be so important to get hard knockdowns for set ups into command grabs

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
In Slasher his bnb starter, F4,2 isnt hard to block, and if you do you can full combo punish. He cant cancel it into anything to make it safe. Jason players would be stupid to throw that string out.

Gruff757

The Gruff
dunno if its been said already but, on hit, F2>Punishment is neutral, and F2>EXPunishment is at advantage.

EDIT
went back and tried again and they are both advantage with regular being +1 and (this is just a rough estimate while looking at the math) ex being +7 or 8

Last edited:

Death By Nines

Catharsis
has it been mentioned yet that b122 (the mid.mid.mid string not in slasher) whiffs on crouching blocking character like scorpion or mileena.?
kinda crud for him
Noticed this yesterday against a Sub Zero. B122 went clean over his head in the corner. Looking back I don't think he was blocking, just crouching. Seems to work like high projectiles for some reason.if they block, they get hit, if they just crouch Jason whiffs the entire string. Really strange.

Further testing required.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Noticed this yesterday against a Sub Zero. B122 went clean over his head in the corner. Looking back I don't think he was blocking, just crouching. Seems to work like high projectiles for some reason.if they block, they get hit, if they just crouch Jason whiffs the entire string. Really strange.

Further testing required.
whiffs on sub aswell? :(
i was testing vs mileena and scorpion only so far, when they crouched without blocking it would hit, if they blocked b12 would whiff (all midscreen also)
its bit odd alright

infamy23

FireBeard
In Slasher his bnb starter, F4,2 isnt hard to block, and if you do you can full combo punish. He cant cancel it into anything to make it safe. Jason players would be stupid to throw that string out.
That is matchup dependent. With the characters that I play, here is what I get for a punish:

Kenshi - D2 14%
Scorpion - D2 14% (1 frame punish)
D'Vorah - 112 bug cancel into BnB 31% (one of the most difficult combos in the game) (can also do 11b2 d4 db4 for 15%)
Ferra/Torr - 2 BF4 19%

So yeah, it's punishable, but "full combo" punishable? Not really. You can spam this string on Scorpion all day long and he is barely ever going to hit you with that D2.

Now against someone like Mileena, you're in trouble. She gets a huge combo for free.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
That is matchup dependent. With the characters that I play, here is what I get for a punish:

Kenshi - D2 14%
Scorpion - D2 14% (1 frame punish)
D'Vorah - 112 bug cancel into BnB 31% (one of the most difficult combos in the game) (can also do 11b2 d4 db4 for 15%)
Ferra/Torr - 2 BF4 19%

So yeah, it's punishable, but "full combo" punishable? Not really. You can spam this string on Scorpion all day long and he is barely ever going to hit you with that D2.

Now against someone like Mileena, you're in trouble. She gets a huge combo for free.
Interesting. It's -10 right? And Jason isnt that far away from his opponent on block. I play as Kung Jin and Kano and both can full combo punish on block. I guess I'm surprised others cant.

infamy23

FireBeard
Interesting. It's -10 right? And Jason isnt that far away from his opponent on block. I play as Kung Jin and Kano and both can full combo punish on block. I guess I'm surprised others cant.
It's listed as -11 but there is something weird with how this game handles frame disadvantage.

For example, Jax's dash punch is 10 frames. In the latest patch, they added "frame zero" to the data, so it's actually 9 frames.

Reversal dash punch *should* punish 100% of the time, but it does not. I tested it in training for about 15 minutes, and it seems that Jax will punish about 50% of the time, and the other 50% Jason will be safe.

Makes no sense to me. Maybe it has something to do with stance changes altering the frame data.

In any case, I would say in general if you want to punish F42 you will need an 8 frame normal that leads into a combo, or a 9 frame reversal.

infamy23

FireBeard
Upon further investigation I can see what's going on.

I examined the blocking animation frame by frame, and it seems that because this is a low/overhead string, your opponent's crouching hitbox will sometimes be altered during the blocking animation. This will cause your overhead to randomly hit on the 1st or 2nd active frame depending on what your opponent's hitbox is doing.

If it hits on the first active frame, you are at -11 and punishable by 10 frame reversals. (but not throws, because they don't include frame zero).

If it hits on the 2nd active frame, you are at -10 and only punishable by 9 frame reversals.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
What I'm about to say is absolutely not constructive in a single way but I have to say it... Putting Jason in MKX (or ANY fighting game, really) is a lame idea. Jason isn't a fighter, he's a slasher. Freddy Kruger isn't a fighter either but at least he is nimble and has a more dynamic range of movement.

His run animation looks awkward and rigid, just completely unnatural. His jumping looks just as dumb. I know that there are many people that were excited about this character and who actually enjoy using Jason and that's fine. But if he ends up being top tier, enjoy winning while looking awkward and silly.

That said, his fatalities are still awesome and the horror cliches are a great touch but I can't get into attempting to play him high level when every combo makes me either cringe or laugh.

Predator will be better.

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
What I'm about to say is absolutely not constructive in a single way but I have to say it... Putting Jason in MKX (or ANY fighting game, really) is a lame idea. Jason isn't a fighter, he's a slasher. Freddy Kruger isn't a fighter either but at least he is nimble and has a more dynamic range of movement.

His run animation looks awkward and rigid, just completely unnatural. His jumping looks just as dumb. I know that there are many people that were excited about this character and who actually enjoy using Jason and that's fine. But if he ends up being top tier, enjoy winning while looking awkward and silly.

That said, his fatalities are still awesome and the horror cliches are a great touch but I can't get into attempting to play him high level when every combo makes me either cringe or laugh.

Predator will be better.
I thoroughly thank you for putting that post in general discussion instead of making it into a thread like many do. <3

Death By Nines

Catharsis

Predator will be better.
Yeah...Well, y'know. That's just like, your opinion man.