What's new

General/Other - Jason Voorhees Jason Voorhees General Discussion Thread

zoofs

bless
I quit after the first two weeks. Injustice was terrible. This is mk. Its not injustice.
alright? what does that have to do with my question? I was pointing out that they had a similar move in injustice, and both games are good. It's an interesting way to open people up and leads to cool setups. Not to mention it's mostly a gimmick and will most likely not be that viable later on.

So is the teleport in Relentless viable for mixups? I was messing around in training mode and found that you can kinda buffer an input when he's coming out the other side of his teleport. So you could, like, teleport and then throw, teleport and f4 into df1 grab, teleport and f112 for overhead. That's assuming it's not super punishable.

D4G

Win At All Cost
So is the teleport in Relentless viable for mixups? I was messing around in training mode and found that you can kinda buffer an input when he's coming out the other side of his teleport. So you could, like, teleport and then throw, teleport and f4 into df1 grab, teleport and f112 for overhead. That's assuming it's not super punishable.
After playing a few matches it's pretty much a move announcing your death sentence. You have a lot of time to watch Jason enter and come out and react accordingly, the fact that he doesn't do anything at all to check the opponent when coming out of the mist also makes it that much worse since it's so slow with a lot of recovery.

Jason is decent but I don't feel he is really good. Online is a bad indicator of how good a character is. No one blocks online, I'll be interested to see how he fares offline.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Jason is meh. I don't see him winning any tournaments. Damage is low, mixups are awful out of slasher besides some tick grabs and most of his variation tools are pretty useless. He may be decent in some regards with some safe strings and his low overhead in slasher but compared to the rest of the cast? I honestly feel like he's a much worse version of Jax in some regards. (Pressure wise.)

I wish he turned out a bit better. We'll see what happens though since it's just day 1.

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
Jason is meh. I don't see him winning any tournaments. Damage is low, mixups are awful out of slasher besides some tick grabs and most of his variation tools are pretty useless. He may be decent in some regards with some safe strings and his low overhead in slasher but compared to the rest of the cast? I honestly feel like he's a much worse version of Jax in some regards.

I wish he turned out a bit better. We'll see what happens though since it's just day 1.
Have your opinion, but his damage is not low. Not even close. He does KJ damage meterless, I think more actually. Speaking only on behalf of Slasher tho

BookBurning

Voidwards
Have your opinion, but his damage is not low. Not even close. He does KJ damage meterless, I think more actually. Speaking only on behalf of Slasher tho
Sure, off of his slasher low ; and that's that. Besides that single string there is really nothing spectacular about him. He has pretty strong specials I suppose; the damage really isn't why he's not that great however.

zoofs

bless
Jason is meh. I don't see him winning any tournaments. Damage is low, mixups are awful out of slasher besides some tick grabs and most of his variation tools are pretty useless. He may be decent in some regards with some safe strings and his low overhead in slasher but compared to the rest of the cast? I honestly feel like he's a much worse version of Jax in some regards. (Pressure wise.)

This is still too early to speak about him like this, but I can foresee unstoppable being the strongest variation later on once everything is more fleshed out. Slasher seemed strong at first, but still has pretty slow normals and mixups aren't great at all (f42 is -11 and easy to block). There doesn't seem to be much tech left to be found either, but I could be completely wrong. I still really enjoy playing him though, and I think there's definitely stuff left to find for his other variations.

Jason has pretty decent footsies and bullys characters with armor to end out a round in slasher.
Off his low he gets good damage. Of his overhead midscreen he gets Commando Kano damage, but it is safe theres that. What he does provide his excellent corner damage where his high low game becomes really dangerous. Oddly enough his ex projectile has armor for whatever reason.

In Unstoppable he really has to focus on a footsie game and wins a life war. Unstoppable Jason basically has the most life and can just slowly chunk enemies while gaining life. He has safe set-ups into damage and life buffs. This one comes off to me as a harder to play, but maybe better vs patient players because tick throws and what not.

Relentless is odd and I'm not sure how to take it. Its kind of like a mix between both unstoppable and slasher but has weak damge in favor of being able to just get in. Also seems really gimmicky with mixing in tick throws with teleports to keep the opponent on their toes.

But thats just how he initially looks to me personally.

Sublime

Stop blocking my hits with your face!
Jason has pretty decent footsies and bullys characters with armor to end out a round in slasher.
Off his low he gets good damage. Of his overhead midscreen he gets Commando Kano damage, but it is safe theres that. What he does provide his excellent corner damage where his high low game becomes really dangerous. Oddly enough his ex projectile has armor for whatever reason.

In Unstoppable he really has to focus on a footsie game and wins a life war. Unstoppable Jason basically has the most life and can just slowly chunk enemies while gaining life. He has safe set-ups into damage and life buffs. This one comes off to me as a harder to play, but maybe better vs patient players because tick throws and what not.

Relentless is odd and I'm not sure how to take it. Its kind of like a mix between both unstoppable and slasher but has weak damge in favor of being able to just get in. Also seems really gimmicky with mixing in tick throws with teleports to keep the opponent on their toes.

Sorry for doublepost..
from stream i decided try out Unstoppable and now ppl saying its the strongest..? Meh i say! But nevertheless damage aint low! This guy deals tons of damage just w few grabs and b122 into 11 db1 easy damage

This guy

Death By Nines

Catharsis
Right now I think it's safe to say Slasher has the most utility out the gate. D2 is an incredibly good anti air, and really keeps people from jumping all over the place. Combos are piss-easy for high damage, and has a decent (albeit readable) high/low game.

His other variations, I find difficult to grasp. Really have no idea what to make of them presently.

Dude his footsies are meh at best. His fastes poke is 8f and the next one is either 11 or 13f. They dont have great reach or lower his hitbox enough to make it of note. His low overhead is slow as hell and full combo punish on block and cant be cancelled into a special iirc. Psycho slash is full combo punish on block unless u use meter and even then lao can punish it.

B1 is 11 frames start up and that string is like -9 on block lol. He seems weak at face value...

Both f4 and F2 are cancelable into safe specials and lead to a combo in the corner with bf3.
His overhead and Low are both only 2 frames slower than Erron Black's so theres that. Bf3 and, meter burned bf2 is only punishable by reptiles slide because he pushes the opponent too far back

B12 in the other 2 variations are -1 and pretty hit confirmable into b122 for a full combo. Cassie has a very similar string that is -5.
The biggest drawback he has is that he lacks a punish game against a majority of strings because of his slow normals which are comparable to Quan chi and Takeda with how slow they are.

Klesk_1

RIP Grundy
I think he is basically a much better version of kotal khan. I mean if you think about it, i like grapplers so if you compare sun god variation to say for example relentless.

Better high low mixups, three command grabs and at least one of them you can tick through a hit AND a block so it hits regardless. He has an actual anti air throw... which works -unlike kotals. An unlimited armour buff, a teleport, a button mashup move... his has more damage off his normals and to make matters worse, his walkspeed is twice as fast as kotal. His wakeup game is much better aswell, between grabs teleport and shoulder barge all armoured he can get up no problems. I think he's awesome, it just makes me sad they didn't give at least some of these tools to kotal, even if it was the hit/block tick throw.... pfff

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Woooo! Jason is WAY better than Shinnok. Thank goodness

@Juggs @Doombawkz @GGA Max @DownfouralitY @Youphemism Whatchu guys think?
He was always going to be better than Shinnok, everyone is lol. He's not really my kind of character but he's really good. I personally like Slasher the best but I think I could like Relentless and Unstoppable more once I figure them out a bit more.

I mean he gets 38% meterless anywhere on the screen, like wtf?! Shinnok barely gets half of that meterless off of HIS low :(