What's new

General/Other - Jason Voorhees Jason Voorhees General Discussion Thread

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Does anyone still play Slasher?? That's my all-time grandfathered in main ever since KP1 lol what's the consensus on Jason's best variation?
I play Slasher quite a bit. Actually, the only variation I play more than Slasher is Unstoppable. IMO, Slasher is Jason's best variation against zoners, but probably his weakest overall. Although, I think all three are decent.

E

Eldriken

I play Slasher quite a bit. Actually, the only variation I play more than Slasher is Unstoppable. IMO, Slasher is Jason's best variation against zoners, but probably his weakest overall. Although, I think all three are decent.
I wish his machete toss led to a combo if you used the EX version. It would be a great wakeup since it's armored.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Guys, I am befuddled by Jason's B122 string when I go against Jason players. The frame data says it is -8, so I try to punish it with Jin's 7 frame 221 string. However, the punish never comes out in time, as it seems that there is more blockstun than the frame data indicates. What the hell is going on here, and why can't I punish with my 7 frame normal?

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
Guys, I am befuddled by Jason's B122 string when I go against Jason players. The frame data says it is -8, so I try to punish it with Jin's 7 frame 221 string. However, the punish never comes out in time, as it seems that there is more blockstun than the frame data indicates. What the hell is going on here, and why can't I punish with my 7 frame normal?
Either the frame data is wrong, or the fact that it's a 1 frame punish is making it difficult. Are you doing it online or in the lab?

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Either the frame data is wrong, or the fact that it's a 1 frame punish is making it difficult. Are you doing it online or in the lab?
Online but I took it to the lab as well. I tested it against cassies flipkick which punished it, but I couldn't get the 221 punish with jin for some reason, which I believe is the same frames

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Try it against goros command grab. If you can backdash it it's not -8. If you can't your timing is off. Punishing -8 moves with a 7f normal is a 1f link so it's hard.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
yeah, maybe I should just try backdashing after more in that situation against Jason (rather than going for immediate punish). Not sure. Jason is definitely a lot better now tho holy shit.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Try it against goros command grab. If you can backdash it it's not -8. If you can't your timing is off. Punishing -8 moves with a 7f normal is a 1f link so it's hard.
yeah, maybe I should just try backdashing after more in that situation against Jason (rather than going for immediate punish). Not sure. Jason is definitely a lot better now tho holy shit.
goro punishes w/ grab, its -8

Parasurama

Dragon
Special moves as a reversal will be 1 frame faster than a normal as a reversal even if their start up is the same . So easier to punish with a special.
Lao can definitely punish B122 with ex spin.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Yeah Jason's B122 has weird blockstun but it is possible to punish with 7 frame normals. Leatherface's F1 punishes it. Jin's standing 2 should probably punish it too, it's just weird timing. Practice it by blocking the whole string low then letting go of down as soon as the last hit touches you. You'll be jailed into a crouching stance by the blockstun and the frame you come up is the frame you can do a normal to punish :)
Special moves as a reversal will be 1 frame faster than a normal as a reversal even if their start up is the same . So easier to punish with a special.
Lao can definitely punish B122 with ex spin.
Pretty sure this is incorrect, reversals aren't one frame faster on startup they just come out one frame earlier than the window for normals to hit.

How are you guys incorporating F2 in unstoppable and relentless? It's startup is slow so I'm not sure where I can use it in my game

Skedar70

Noob
Online but I took it to the lab as well. I tested it against cassies flipkick which punished it, but I couldn't get the 221 punish with jin for some reason, which I believe is the same frames
With normals you need at leas 2 frames in order to be able to reversal punish. So you need a 6 startup normal to punish a -8 move and you have to be on point. With a special you only need 1 frame thats why Cassie flip kick can punish it. I don't think jin as a 7 frame special but jason is left negative so I recommend you go for your 50/50 or grab.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
With normals you need at leas 2 frames in order to be able to reversal punish. So you need a 6 startup normal to punish a -8 move and you have to be on point. With a special you only need 1 frame thats why Cassie flip kick can punish it. I don't think jin as a 7 frame special but jason is left negative so I recommend you go for your 50/50 or grab.
That's incorrect, 7 frame normals and 8 frame reversal specials will punish a move that's -8 on block.

Parasurama

Dragon
Yeah Jason's B122 has weird blockstun but it is possible to punish with 7 frame normals. Leatherface's F1 punishes it. Jin's standing 2 should probably punish it too, it's just weird timing. Practice it by blocking the whole string low then letting go of down as soon as the last hit touches you. You'll be jailed into a crouching stance by the blockstun and the frame you come up is the frame you can do a normal to punish :)

Pretty sure this is incorrect, reversals aren't one frame faster on startup they just come out one frame earlier than the window for normals to hit.
Which is what I meant. I didn't say they the start up changed.

Hey all ive been away from mkx for a bit thinking about coming back but hows Jason now is he actually good to use now? Pre XL i heard he was the worst at least slasher how is it now??

Hey all ive been away from mkx for a bit thinking about coming back but hows Jason now is he actually good to use now? Pre XL i heard he was the worst at least slasher how is it now??
Jason lives in the mid-tier life. Unstoppable is probably his best all-around variation.
Slasher B1's faster startup allows Jason to whiff punish well and gives him a respectable attack to interrupt poorly-spaced or predictable offense from the opponent. The quicker recovery on his Machete Toss also means he can zone decently and not horribly. The general gameplay nerfs to chip damage and meter gain do hurt him a little, but overall I'd say Slasher is a perfectly usable variation.

Parasurama

Dragon
Jason lives in the mid-tier life. Unstoppable is probably his best all-around variation.
Slasher B1's faster startup allows Jason to whiff punish well and gives him a respectable attack to interrupt poorly-spaced or predictable offense from the opponent. The quicker recovery on his Machete Toss also means he can zone decently and not horribly. The general gameplay nerfs to chip damage and meter gain do hurt him a little, but overall I'd say Slasher is a perfectly usable variation.
Don't you find that Unstoppable is weak against zoning? I faced a gunslinger and even with healing buff on be was doing more chip on his mid hitting gun shots at full screen than I was healing. I find Relentless is better with dealing with everyone (so less bad match ups) in general but for many match ups, Unstoppable is better. I don't play with Slasher so not sure about this.

Don't you find that Unstoppable is weak against zoning? I faced a gunslinger and even with healing buff on be was doing more chip on his mid hitting gun shots at full screen than I was healing. I find Relentless is better with dealing with everyone (so less bad match ups) in general but for many match ups, Unstoppable is better. I don't play with Slasher so not sure about this.
Against characters with regular access to mid-hitting projectiles, yes, the Unstoppable player is not going to have a good time. But, if the opponent doesn't have mid-hitting projectiles or requires meter for them, I don't think it's that bad: it just requires patience and a life lead. Now that Rise regenerates meter, if the opponent takes a while to decide that going in is a better idea, you usually have a chance at surprising them with an armored special.