What's new

General/Other - Jason Voorhees Jason Voorhees General Discussion Thread

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
No. I think Jayden is pretty easy to learn if you have a good grasp of fundamentals.

Welcome to the Jensen brigade! Which variation(s) are you playing?

Yeah I think k I do. Would love to put it to the test with my kano. I've been told my footsies are really really good and used can be extremely annoying with it. Probably because the guys I grew up playing never were the best zones.

But thank you for the welcoming. This is good for me because I know this will further strengthen my main, Jason and me.

B3,U1~Run, 1,2~1,1,1xxBloodshed | 26% – It requires a very short run cancel right after the recovery of B3,U1 ends. The 1,1,1 string will not connect if it's done at the earliest frames after 1,2 – the opponent has to fall a little for the whole string and Bloodshed to connect.
For swag: B3,U1~Run, 1,2~1,2~1,2xxBloodshed | 25%

They're consistent on the female hitbox (D'Vorah's, at least.) To assist in learning the combos, here is a video:

(Hyperlink.)
I'll aslo start off with this. Good gawd this dude is far better now then what jerry was months ago.

villainous monk

careful with mist, players who can read at a 3rd grade level can punish you severely any time you even think of misting. You gotta try and predict them whiffing and throw it out hoping you can punish them consistently (freaking gamble online 100% of the time) and or start up some mind games if they plan to block. You use it sparingly =D

For the command throws I can only speak from a Sun God perspective and it's been fairly easy to learn Jasons throws effectively. I just hate the input; it's such a pain to do sometimes. Room for error was constant for me at the beginning.

Damage buff is a good strategy, sometimes I just take hits to get Damned and try to win but at the same time it's kind of risky with the reduced health. Just play smart and monitor your meter well because there's so much more to utilize with Jason rather than with a buffed Xray.

I love Relentless, Pursuit is super fun to mess with people with. =D
Hmm. Ok. Yea. I'll most definitely keep that in mind. There loos like there could be so much more to mist but I've watched a ton of vids and it's used so sparingly even by Reo and a few others. But come to think of it. I punished it 9/10 times Jayden *btw I like that name* mist so yeah. It would be none to wise to use a move that I can easily counter.

But I'm still going to play around with it more to find good setups, mixup and maybe get good enough to punish off wiff on reaction.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Dbf & dfb inputs are a bit difficult to pull off mid combo especially if your not using armor. I have this same problem with commando and I have to tell myself that I have to limit the combos in order to make sure it connects. I assume Jayden has the same issue?

I share your frustrations and disappointments when said movesets wiff.

His buff is risky. It's good to use to seriously cause a lot of mental games but it's high risk and reward. But that's why it's in the game and he's one of the best characters to use it.

Is he a very Heavy meter character?
I don't ever see a lot of run cancels with him. Is it not needed?

Who are his absolutely worst match ups?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Dbf & dfb inputs are a bit difficult to pull off mid combo especially if your not using armor. I have this same problem with commando and I have to tell myself that I have to limit the combos in order to make sure it connects. I assume Jayden has the same issue?
Personally, I've never had much issue with landing Johnson's command grabs mid-combo. For almost all of his bread 'n' butter combos in Relentless, he doesn't have to worry about his command grabs whiffing from gravity. The only one you really have to worry with the whiffing in longer combos is the (DBF2) Tight Squeeze, but it's usually preferable to end in (DF1) Choke due to the massive corner carry he is capable of, and also to keep the opponent in the corner.
Is he a very Heavy meter character?

I don't ever see a lot of run cancels with him. Is it not needed?

Who are his absolutely worst match ups?
He is meter-heavy, but not for damage. Jason's meter is better spent on using EX specials to armor through opponent's attacks. Spending meter for extra damage in combos is almost always not worth the reward, (around 2-to-5% more damage than normal,) unless it's your style for some reason.

One pro to this character is that he is not dependent on stamina for his combos. Relentless/Unstoppable rarely ever needs to run cancel for combos, except when coverting off of some situational anti-air hits, but an immediate forward walk usually does the trick there.

I don't have enough match-up experience to answer that. Sorry.
---

Hey, this post by REO ought to be helpful for you: http://testyourmight.com/threads/looking-for-jason-help.57848/#post-1981151
Keep in mind that it was posted before the XL buffs.

I agree with most of what you wrote, but referring to lake mist as "DAMN NEAR" safe is definitely an exaggeration. It's very easily punishable, and honestly, the only safe way to use it is to use ex-lake mist to punish overzealous zoners on a read.

I think it's still very early for tier talk post KP2 patch, but I think Jason is "pretty solid." If I had to guess, I'd say he ends up somewhere in the high mid tier region, once we are all said and done.
Well, the reason I said "DAMN NEAR" is bcuz you have to almost predict it to punish it. But you must have a point bcuz I don't see the teleport that much..

villainous monk

Personally, I've never had much issue with landing Johnson's command grabs mid-combo. For almost all of his bread 'n' butter combos in Relentless, he doesn't have to worry about his command grabs whiffing from gravity. The only one you really have to worry with the whiffing in longer combos is the (DBF2) Tight Squeeze, but it's usually preferable to end in (DF1) Choke due to the massive corner carry he is capable of, and also to keep the opponent in the corner.

He is meter-heavy, but not for damage. Jason's meter is better spent on using EX specials to armor through opponent's attacks. Spending meter for extra damage in combos is almost always not worth the reward, (around 2-to-5% more damage than normal,) unless it's your style for some reason.

One pro to this character is that he is not dependent on stamina for his combos. Relentless/Unstoppable rarely ever needs to run cancel for combos, except when coverting off of some situational anti-air hits, but an immediate forward walk usually does the trick there.

I don't have enough match-up experience to answer that. Sorry.
---

Hey, this post by REO ought to be helpful for you: http://testyourmight.com/threads/looking-for-jason-help.57848/#post-1981151
Keep in mind that it was posted before the XL buffs.
Thanks. This is a really great start. I find he has a lot of kano in him minus the projectiles in the other two variations. He's really good to use. Thanks. I'm going to find out more about him as I find this powerful character is not played as good as he sounds online.

He's definitely the right backup for me.

mhtdtr

Ancestors, give me strength!
Hi. I want to know, how you, jason players, deal with the options after a blocked string. For example you do back 1 1 2 or just 1 1 1. If they block, What is the best option? Do you try another string, jump or simply block. Because I saw that Jason has low priority against other players.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Hi. I want to know, how you, jason players, deal with the options after a blocked string. For example you do back 1 1 2 or just 1 1 1. If they block, What is the best option? Do you try another string, jump or simply block. Because I saw that Jason has low priority against other players.
Ex command grab, walk back and whiff punish or just block.

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
Well. I'm not having playing MKX with Subby anymore, and I just finished my Friday the 13th collection again (I've been sick all week)so my pocket is becoming my main.

How's everyone enjoying the new buffs?

Beckmann_2420

I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!
Well. I'm not having playing MKX with Subby anymore, and I just finished my Friday the 13th collection again (I've been sick all week)so my pocket is becoming my main.

How's everyone enjoying the new buffs?
Loving Jensen even more than before. Ive been abusing the shit out of his new D1 6F poke and B3 1+3. Also love that you don't have to run cancel after B122 in relentless/unstoppable.

I haven't really messed around with unstoppable after the buffs, but from what ive seen its pretty good.

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
Loving Jensen even more than before. Ive been abusing the shit out of his new D1 6F poke and B3 1+3. Also love that you don't have to run cancel after B122 in relentless/unstoppable.

I haven't really messed around with unstoppable after the buffs, but from what ive seen its pretty good.
I was watching hype spotting and there was a Jason player on stream, not once did he use b3 1+3 or b3 d2... It drove me nuts. I feel like that's a huge part of Jasons game now. It tilts people who can't deal with it, although it is definitely not easy to deal with.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
Do jason mains use 24 xx DBF2, it tick throws and combos too. I find it pretty useful. Since there's literally no downside to using it.

Beckmann_2420

I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!
This.

I also rarely see any Unstoppable/Relentless players using b3 1+3. It's a built in tick throw, damn it. Both of his other options from b3 are safe and one leads to a combo. People need to use it more since it will keep them guessing.
I love it because for the life of me I cant tick throw B1xxdbf2. I mean I can get it in practice mode like 1 out of 10 times lol. F2xxdbf2, B2xxdbf2, 24xxdbf2 I can tick throw no problem. I love the b3 1+3 built in tick throw. Its so funny to see people get scared as hell now when Jason gets closer and closer to them knowing they will be screwed.

I played 1 match the other day where the guy was eating the B3 1+3 and FINALLY caught on to neutral duck it and then I mixed it up with B3 D2 and he was screwed once again. It was glorious.

Love it to because most of the time after the unblockable connects, I have ample time to activate pursuit and killing machine.

I cant even count how many times ive made unbelieveable comebacks with relentless now with the damned passive. That is probably what gets me the most hyped now in this game.

BowsersDad

Low tier
Does anyone still play Slasher?? That's my all-time grandfathered in main ever since KP1 lol what's the consensus on Jason's best variation?

E

Eldriken

Does anyone still play Slasher?? That's my all-time grandfathered in main ever since KP1 lol what's the consensus on Jason's best variation?
In my opinion: Unstoppable > Relentless > Slasher.

The fact that Unstoppable's dd3 gives him armor breaking properties on top of extra damage sets him well above the other two.

It's like a toned down Superman trait from Injustice.

BowsersDad

Low tier
In my opinion: Unstoppable > Relentless > Slasher.

The fact that Unstoppable's dd3 gives him armor breaking properties on top of extra damage sets him well above the other two.

It's like a toned down Superman trait from Injustice.
Thanks for the input. The reason I picked Slasher in the first part was due to the fact that his inputs were so simple and the Machete's range lol I will try unstoppable and likely make him my new Jason main if I feel he fits me.

E

Eldriken

Thanks for the input. The reason I picked Slasher in the first part was due to the fact that his inputs were so simple and the Machete's range lol I will try unstoppable and likely make him my new Jason main if I feel he fits me.
His dd3 and dd4 are integral. Just keep that in mind. Regular dd4 recovers 5% health and like 33%~ of a bar of meter. However, if you EX dd4, it doesn't give you any meter and heals you for I think 9%.

Just learn the combos that you can do to safely activate them.

BowsersDad

Low tier
His dd3 and dd4 are integral. Just keep that in mind. Regular dd4 recovers 5% health and like 33%~ of a bar of meter. However, if you EX dd4, it doesn't give you any meter and heals you for I think 9%.

Just learn the combos that you can do to safely activate them.
Much appreciated!