What's new

Initial Impressions

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You can learn a lot from just playing. I think some of you don’t like losing because you don’t know what you’re doing yet. It’s a stress test, losing means absolutely nothing, neither does winning. Go into a match, and just look at your moves. Take a picture of your moves list. If you lose because of this so fucking what? Your W/L record in a damn stress test is 100% pointless.

I’ve learned a lot just from playing, but of course I would be much better with a training mode. But the entire purpose of a stress test is ONLY to test the online netcode/connections and the matchmaking. It’s not for you to learn the game. Just like the SC6 online only beta, it was the exact same way. If there were any offline mode like training you would have so many people, including myself, just labbing in training mode.

Anyway, I’ve played around 100 matches so far and I still absolutely love this game. I love how you can actually play patient, footsies, space opponents out, etc. The game fits my playstyle perfectly, so maybe I’m a little biased. Still using Scorpion. Scorpion is awesome and his fuck neutral/footsies tool is well balanced (his teleport). A lot of what he does is unsafe so I haven’t really been rushing down with him like I did in MKX. He has a steller D4 and is just a solid character that you need to play patient with.

The online has been great. I’ve tested me using WiFi and me being wired. I had 95% solid matches on WiFi, and around 90% solid matches on wired. Weird I know, but with only 100 matches it’s a small sample size. On XBL, I don’t have the long waiting time others seem to experience finding a match on PS4. The only issue I’m having is people declining me. This happened while I was on WiFi but happened even MORE when I was wired. Either people didn’t like my decent record, didn’t like their % to win, or they were trying to get matched with their buddies. I will say I’ve never liked the % to win thing. It’s just pointless to me if I’m being honest.

Overall, this stress test has made me even more hype for the beta, and 20x more hype for the final game. I absolutely cannot wait!

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Has anyone figured out how to consistently get the air breakaway to come out? Feels like it never comes out when I need it to, but still comes out at seemingly random moments as well.

Xelz

Go over there!
Color me impressed. MKX plays incredibly well, and the speed plus neutral gameplay feels like it emphasizes a wider gamet of strategies than MKX. Some initial thoughts:

Speed of fighters: Gameplay feels more “realistic,” if there’s such a thing as fighters stab each other through brains and other vital organs mid match. Characters and hits have weight to them, such that an elbow to the face or a connecting sweep looks like it hurts, and single hits or short combos deal decent damage on their own. The slower movement makes the motion more fluid rather than the jerky and uncanny valley of MKX's hyper fast characters and run mechanic.

Dashes: They feel more like a tool to throw off your opponent than a go-to every time you want to get in. For example, I conditioned one opponent to block a mid at a certain range which was just outside of my throw reach. Then I dashed in and threw before he could react. So dashes don’t feel like they can get you from out of footsie range to in your opponent's face, but rather from one footsie range to another.

Graphics: While the reveal and content creator footage looked good, I was skeptical that the game would look as good once it’s on my 75' TV. I was wrong, MK11 is stupidly gorgeous at 4K with HDR. There’s no aliasing, characters truly look lifelike, skin and clothing textures are perfect. I’ve been playing Destiny 2 and Forza Horizon 4 this past week, and MK11 makes those titles look like last gen games. I have no idea how NRS pulled off these graphics at 60fps. (This is on a Xbox One X.)

Edit: adding thoughts on custom moves.

Custom moves: I’m going to eat my words; custom moves actually feel balanced. The point cost system is a nice touch, and at least with Scorpion I couldn’t build a variation that felt stronger than any of the three defaults. My variation simply fit my personal strategy better, which is what a custom build should do. Those who played Call of Duty games with the pick 10 system will feel right at home here. The biggest hurdle for custom variations in a tournament setting will be making them fast to select so they don’t slow the tournament down.

Last edited:

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Im gonna keep it all the way live with y'all.

Last night i dont what it was but i helped somebody online by teaching them how to apply fundamentals in this game. And it felt so damn good! It was like my motherly instincts came out. And i was happy that this person was learning. This person even took the time to find my Twitter to add me.

That made my heart so warm.

Damn man....who would of thought a game that decapatates heads, bloodshed, guts, and ass would bring out the best in people.

9out of 10?

Game looks repetetive and alot of the stages look regular af. Slow to no dash speed. Amplify to launch etc.. The more respect to Maxmillion dood, where he actually dares to share his honest opinion instead of kissing the communitys and NRS asses

Last edited:

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
9ot of 10?

Game looks repetetive and alot of the stages look regular af. Slow to no dash speed. Amplify to launch etc.. The more respect to Maxmillion dood, hes a real hones guy that dares to share his honest opinion instead of kissing the communitys and NRS asses
You're entitled to your opinion, of course, and I respect that. Sorry you got that impression from the game. :/ Hopefully when it gets released, you find it more palatable, or you find a game more up your alley. :)

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Yeagh right 9ot of 10 lol. Try hard to be liked by the community and say the game is almost perfect... right

Game looks repetetive and alot of the stages look regular af. Slow to no dash speed. Amplify to launch etc.. The more respect to Maxmillion dood, hes a real honest fighting game expert that dares to share his real opinion. Now MKcommunity kisses ass and say everything is cool untill the game is 6months old and already dieing in the FGC.
Who hurt you?

The fact that the positive reviews far outweigh the negative (Which, I've only seen people complain about dashing and mobility which Ed's already said is much better in the final version) speaks volumes.

The game looks repetitive? You mean the gameplay from the stress test? The gameplay that a bunch of people who know literally nothing about the game and can't lab? That gameplay? Uh-huh, uh-huh...uh-huh. Hit up K&M's Twitch and watch the dope stuff they're doing. (although I know some other pros that are playing have been pulling off some dope stuff)

The only thing worse than people who are trying to be liked by the community (Which I'm not seeing at all here) are people who are trying too hard to be edgy and dislike it.

The gameplay looks leaps and bounds better than MKX.

Last edited:
Who hurt you?

The fact that the positive reviews far outweigh the negative (Which, I've only seen people complain about dashing and mobility which Ed's already said is much better in the final version) speaks volumes.

The game looks repetitive? You mean the gameplay from the stress test? The gameplay that a bunch of people who know literally nothing about the game and can't lab? That gameplay? Uh-huh, uh-huh...uh-huh. Hit up K&M's Twitch and watch the dope stuff they're doing. (although I know some other pros that are playign have been pulling off some dope stuff)

The only thing worse than people who are trying to be liked by the community (Which I'm not seeing at all here) are people who are trying too hard to be edgy and dislike it.

The gameplay looks leaps and bounds better than MKX.
No creative input required to create combos is dull. Simply input an amplifier to extend the combo, thats it.. And that counts for every character. Its plain stupid, repetetive and boring. Its not a matter of "the game is still new" its the mechanic where NRS did whatever reasons to prevent the players from doing longer combos. Appearantly adding alot of weight to the characters and adding hella recovery to the normals and specials, is NRS's answer to prevent the game to have long extended combos. But at the same time it makes the game look (and problably feel) stiff and slow. And guess what, the game still has alot of damaging combos even if their shorter. So wtf is the point to dumbing down the combos? Thats poor game design and its stupid that alot of players ignore this. Players already look for launchable moves or combos strings. Will it make the other moves useless?.. The reduced combo system, and what NRS did to prevent that, basically making the mobility/footsies slow af is already looking like a poor designed mechanic. And the game is build around that. Footsies are fun when the game allows mobility to bait, throw in moves etc. But in MK11, the game looks too slow and restricted to allow footsies to be real fun.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
No creative input required to create combos is dull. Simply input an amplifier to extend the combo, thats it.. And that counts for every character. Its plain stupid, repetetive and boring. Its not a matter of "the game is still new" its the mechanic where NRS did whatever reasons to prevent the players from doing longer combos. Appearantly adding alot of weight to the characters and adding hella recovery to the normals and specials, is NRS's answer to prevent the game to have long extended combos. But at the same time it makes the game look (and problably feel) stiff and slow. And guess what, the game still has alot of damaging combos even if their shorter. So wtf is the point to dumbing down the combos? Thats poor game design and its stupid that alot of players ignore this. Players already look for launchable moves or combos strings. Will it make the other moves useless?.. The reduced combo system, and what NRS did to prevent that, basically making the mobility/footsies slow af is already looking like a poor designed mechanic. And the game is build around that. Footsies are fun when the game allows mobility to bait, throw in moves etc. But in MK11, the game looks too slow and restricted to allow footsies to be real fun.
YOU HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED IT AND YOU HAVE ISSUES WITH HOW IT FEELS, SIS?????

Every person I've seen play it has said that it's fun, it's just adjusting from MKX's speed. Also, like I said, watch K&M. There are big combos...

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Sooo...you haven't actually played in the stress test? How can you give your initial impressions if you haven't played or tested the game? I mean, you can have your opinion of the game, yes. But, you're stating all this like it's fact. And yes, the combos are generally shorter...unless you use some krushing blows, then the combos get bigger and extremely damaging.

I'm just glad the game isn't full of 15-20 hit combos constantly, where you're throwing a few extra punches for diminishing damage returns. That got boring and tedious, imo.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
No creative input required to create combos is dull. Simply input an amplifier to extend the combo, thats it.. And that counts for every character. Its plain stupid, repetetive and boring.
This is 100% grade-A horse shit. I've already seen about a half dozen different Scorpion combos for over 12 hits, just from games I saw yesterday. There is plenty of room for creativity. Especially once you involve Krushing Blows.

But I'm sure that you know all about how Krushing Blows impact combo potential, right? From the extensive amount of time you spent practicing them in the stress test?

Last edited:
YOU HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED IT AND YOU HAVE ISSUES WITH HOW IT FEELS, SIS?????

Every person I've seen play it has said that it's fun, it's just adjusting from MKX's speed. Also, like I said, watch K&M. There are big combos...
Lol i said it looks slow. That is the problem, you dont comprehent what im saying here.. its not a matter of playing the game, its how the game is build. You need to burn meter to extend your combos for the most part. It seems to be an NRS thing with their games. Injustice had something similar aswell. Dashes are slow, its said to better walk instead. I dont need to play the game to understand that.. K&M gameplay... again.. just repeat whatever others say right? even they showed how amplifiers are required for basic combos. Thats my point.. idc about MKx, i didnt liked that game. I liked MK9, and that game has PROPER mobility instead like in MK11. I dont need a run button. Igonrant statements where a run button is required for speed is bs. Just give the player fast movement and mobility, thats it.

Mk9 did alot off things better. The fundamentals were alot better. Fast movement and combos didnt require meter perse. I could be creative with my characters and express my playstyle within my character.

Maybe its bc im a game designer myself and i can see what the results are for certain mechanics on a long term... the fundamentals in this game are poor designed

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS WOW. For strictly gameplay purposes, from this stress test only (obviously), I'd give this game a 10/10.

First and foremost, the game play is in fact much slower. BUT, what's weird is, there was not a single point during any match that thought "if only I could run in" or "man I wish mkx dashes were back". There was one funny moment where me and another scorp were on opposite sides and neither of us wanted to do anything. It was funny because it felt so honest... I was like "ok now I actually have to bait him or work my way in, all strategy here". Nothing felt cheap, at least to me.

The graphics are amazing, not much else to say here.

The animations were amazing, I only played scorp so I can only speak from that perspective.

I loved the audio, especially during brutalities. It sounded so sick, kind of a sinister vibe to it.

The fatal blows never felt spammy to me, although I'd still be in favor of making the down time between each longer, or making it a once time use thing.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Lol i said it looks slow. That is the problem, you dont comprehent what im saying here.. its not a matter of playing the game, its how the game is build. You need to burn meter to extend your combo for the most part. That is just an NRS thing with their games. Injustice had something similar aswell. Dashes are slow, its said to better walk instead. I dont need to play the game to understand that.. K&M ganeplay... again.. just repeat whatever other posters say right? Lol eveb there it showed how amplifiers are required for basic combos. Thats my point.. idc about MKx, i dodnt liked that game. I liked MK9, and that game has PROPER mobility instead like in MK11. I dont need a run button. Igonrantbstatements wgere a run button is required for speed is bs. Just give the player fast movement and mobility, thats it.

Mk9 did alot off things better. The fundamentals werw alot better. Fast movement and combos didnt require meter perse. I could be creative with my characters and express my playstyle within my character.

Maybe its bc im a game designer myself and i can see what the results are for certain mechanics on a long term... the fundamentals in this game are poor designed
If movement is one of the aspects you're not happy with, @xXRagingFlameXx did post that Boon stated the movement was going to be better in the actual game due to some changes made after this build went out.

As for meter burn combos, I think it's fine since the meter replenishes itself fairly quickly. If you had to actually build it yourself like in previous games, then I would agree that it would feel a little slow and restricted.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I played 4 matches and then did something else. It defeats the purpose of a stress test if people stop playing. I don’t have the patience to learn something under constant assault. It’s not fun. Which is a shame because the game itself is really fun. It was a wasted code on me I guess.
Why would you ever think an online stress test would have any offline modes?

Sounds Iike you had some unrealistic expectations and are blaming them for doing the most logical thing.

Besides they probably had the most players on during the first few hours so I’m sure they got whatever data they needed already.

Xelz

Go over there!
Lol i said it looks slow. That is the problem, you dont comprehent what im saying here.. its not a matter of playing the game, its how the game is build. You need to burn meter to extend your combo for the most part. That is just an NRS thing with their games. Injustice had something similar aswell. Dashes are slow, its said to better walk instead. I dont need to play the game to understand that.. K&M ganeplay... again.. just repeat whatever other posters say right? Lol eveb there it showed how amplifiers are required for basic combos. Thats my point.. idc about MKx, i dodnt liked that game. I liked MK9, and that game has PROPER mobility instead like in MK11. I dont need a run button. Igonrantbstatements wgere a run button is required for speed is bs. Just give the player fast movement and mobility, thats it.

Mk9 did alot off things better. The fundamentals werw alot better. Fast movement and combos didnt require meter perse. I could be creative with my characters and express my playstyle within my character.

This guy hasn’t played the beta, can’t type a sentence without glaring typos, and is being overly dramatic solely for the sake of drama. He’s just trolling. Move along folks, nothing to see here. Don’t feed the troll.

If movement is one of the aspects you're not happy with, @xXRagingFlameXx did post that Boon stated the movement was going to be better in the actual game due to some changes made after this build went out.

As for meter burn combos, I think it's fine since the meter replenishes itself fairly quickly. If you had to actually build it yourself like in previous games, then I would agree that it would feel a little slow and restricted.
Slow ganeplay is indeed a bummer for me. As this game is build that much around footsies. Well see in the final build.

Still meter requirement, even if it fills within time, its still silly. I simply have to amplify the combo to extend it, instead of looking for a move in my skill list that extends the combo.

Last edited:
This guy hasn’t played the beta, can’t type a sentence without glaring typos, and is being overly dramatic solely for the sake of drama. He’s just trolling. Move along folks, nothing to see here. Don’t feed the troll.
Your reply is more of troll reply than me having my own opinion. Please speak for your self in that regard.

And dont come at me like i have to type english perfect. Its not my language. And im typing on a mobile lol

I dont need ti play the beta game to see the games mechanics.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Why would you ever think an online stress test would have any offline modes?

Sounds Iike you had some unrealistic expectations and are blaming them for doing the most logical thing.

Besides they probably had the most players on during the first few hours so I’m sure they got whatever data they needed already.
Not asking offline modes and not blaming anyone for anything lol. Where did you get that from? I wasn’t talking shit, I said it was a wasted code on me. As in I’m not contributing to the stress test because I turned it off.

That was yesterday though, I had much more fun today with someone on my level. Just a simple tutorial at the beginning would have been nice is all I’m saying. It’s not easy to learn while you are getting shit on in the corner.

“It’s just a stress test, go mash buttons online!” is unreasonable to me. A movelist in the menus outside of a match is not an unreasonable expectation. They have the kustomize shit in there which isn’t necessary for a stress test.

This is 100% grade-A horse shit. I've already seen about a half dozen different Scorpion combos for over 12 hits, just from games I saw yesterday. There is plenty of room for creativity. Especially once you involve Krushing Blows.

But I'm sure that you know all about how Krushing Blows impact combo potential, right? From the extensive amount of time you spent practicing them in the stress test?
Whats the point of dumbing down combos if the damage output is the same lol its stupid. And all that NRS did too prevent the longer combo sets is now only making the game slower.

A dozen different scorpion combo strings? Lol that is A horse shit. They all must be the same bc you need to burn meter to do them...

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Whats the point of dumbing down combos if the damage output is the same lol its stupid. And all that NRS did too prent the longer combo sets is now only making the game slower. Its for nothing.

A dozen different scorpion combo string? Lol that is A horse shit. They all must be the same bc you need to burn meter to do them...
Man, don’t play the game. You’re not changing anyone’s mind with this. Nobody is changing gameplay for you too.

Man, don’t play the game. You’re not changing anyone’s mind with this. Nobody is changing gameplay for you too.
Cmon be real.. why the F would you dumb down combos if the damage output is the same. And maybe even worse in time. Im sure some can acknowlidge that its stupid game design and that NRS needs new devs lol

If the MK community is ignoring this, or worse, not even aware of it. Just how dumb the animations looked in MKx. Its makes the MK community even look dumber.

Im almost ashamed of being an MK fan. Atleast untill MK9...