What's new

Initial Impressions

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
how's this for an impression? why is baraka so damn brain dead?
According to many top players the 3 characters available are very balanced and it seems NRS had risk/reward in mind when developing moves, specials, combos and mechanics.
If a character has a tool that launches or gives advantage in some way they built in a cost and weaknesses in other areas.

Of course certain characters have tools that are over the top but I'm not worried since we have very skilled players like Sonic, Scar, REO, Dragon, HoneyBee ect. That are giving feedback to NRS and insight on things to be adjusted.

We are using a sample build that is very early in it's life cycle and most is just placeholder to be changed later on. With that in mind expect things to change when final build comes out.

Like:

• Breakaway granting full combo punish.
  • Fatal Blow Launching for full combo.
  • Movement speed will be increased.
  • Dashes will be more effective.
  • Anti Airs will work on JIKs in the future.
Ed Boon has talked with Sonic and others and has openly expressed change will be the norm in it's early days until things are properly balanced. So even though I see things that don't look great I fully understand that can change and I won't judge the game based on a very limited early version of the game.

gitblame

Noob
I got code today. I played like 50-60 matches so far.

1. Game feels hard. All people concerned about simplified game or making it towards casual audience can relax. Game is so grounded, so footsie and neutral oriented and honest. It's really something different from both MKX and Injustice 2. There is literally no easy way to get your game going. I feel like there is very little way to `fraud` your oponnent.
2. Walking definetly is something you need to get used to. My first matches definetly felt kinda heavy, especially when I was the one who tried to get closer. After some time I love how the walk speed is on pair on fundamental design of the game. The game just makes you walk your way back and forth.
3. Game looks and sounds gorgeous. I already knew graphics is gonna be amazing from streams, but what I saw on my monitor still made my very impressed.
4. Netcode feels even better. I run some matches with my friend from US East (I am from Poland) and it felt for me even better than in INJ2 and MKX in the same ping we always had.
Once I played a guy on wifi in 210 ping. And it felt amazing. I know that's probably won't be a trend and wifi players still gonna ruin everybody's else experience (I had also some spiky unplayable connections) but I think NRS took it to next level and now playing between continets in 200ms ping will now feel like playable connection.

Game has incredible potential. I can't wait for full release and pre order beta we will have before (I hope we will get training mode and more characters :D).

According to many top players the 3 characters available are very balanced and it seems NRS had risk/reward in mind when developing moves, specials, combos and mechanics.
If a character has a tool that launches or gives advantage in some way they built in a cost and weaknesses in other areas.

Of course certain characters have tools that are over the top but I'm not worried since we have very skilled players like Sonic, Scar, REO, Dragon, HoneyBee ect. That are giving feedback to NRS and insight on things to be adjusted.

We are using a sample build that is very early in it's life cycle and most is just placeholder to be changed later on. With that in mind expect things to change when final build comes out.

Like:

Ed Boon has talked with Sonic and others and has openly expressed change will be the norm in it's early days until things are properly balanced. So even though I see things that don't look great I fully understand that can change and I won't judge the game based on a very limited early version of the game.
well i mean sonic is not happy with how breakaway is and i don't want to listen to almost a thing sonic says because i know he tries to change the game in favor of him

Compared to what, exactly?

If anything I would say Baraka takes the most skill to play because he has to get closer than everyone else to start his offense.
well i mean he does have a good fireball. compared to at least scorpion. it's not that hard for him to get close considering the how the game is developed

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

Like:

I like this. I like this a lot.

I’m impressed with how hard the game is neutral wise, but the combos feel really close to MK9.

I've played about 150 matches as Skarlet, about 50% W/L and I can't really say I'm enjoying the play style, as much as I am trying to. Honestly not sure if I will be buying it. Feels super heavy to me, tanky walk speed, floaty jump ins, idk. MKX felt more like polished choreography and this feels like a heavy handed slap fight. Glad everyone is enjoying it though, maybe it's just not for me.

I can't really say I'm enjoying the play style, as much as I am trying to. Honestly not sure if I will be buying it. Feels super heavy to me, tanky walk speed, floaty jump ins, idk.
I'll start by saying i haven't played the game yet... But it's just the learning curve.

I remember first playing MKX and I couldn't do a combo, jumping didn't feel the same as MK9, ex moves didn't feel right. The whole game didn't feel right, to the point i was prepared to give it up. But once you give it some time, get used to the new mechanics, how specials, normals work etc. i'm sure it'll become 2nd nature.

Especially now going from a game that was very offensive, in your face, combo after combo - to something that's a little more thought provoking, making you think about what your options are and less in your face, it's no doubt going to feel different, to the point of feeling "wrong".

Absolutely loving the small number of normals and specials. Makes combos easier to learn/remember and really puts emphasis on fundamentals. It’s also easier to learn more than one character. In X I couldn’t really do that because there were so many strings and different combos it was almost overwhelming, but there’s a perfect balance here.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
How do we feel about our offensive/defensive meter recharging in-between rounds? Considering how fast they already seem to generate, it wouldn't hurt to pause them during that time.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Starting to get a bit frustrated with how good everyone is. Can't wait for release when all the scrubs like me come out of the woodwork.

Ever fought a zoning Skarlet with Baraka? Against zoners, Baraka will have difficulty getting in.
IT'S NOT JUST ME? oh thank god.

It's funny because the first Skarlet I ever played was really good but didn't play as a zoner. He gave me a really hard time. Then the second Skarlet was WAY worse, but zoned. He gave me an almost equally hard time.

Last edited:

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
okay I only have one gripe and it's with players more than game mechanics.

it's one thing to just whoop my ass, I'm used to that. It's one thing to use "cheap" shit to win, again, it's an FG, the sky is blue, I know what's up. But if you're just gonna stand there and let me wail on you for 3/4's of a round, I'm annoyed.

What do you think ur proving lol? That you can beat me? Congrats, the last five ass whoopings proved that, let's just play the game.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I find Skarlet amazing as a mid range fighter with some good zone tools. I don't play her like a zoner (kenshi)

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
Starting to get a bit frustrated with the fact that everyone in the stress test is a veteran fighting game player.

IT'S NOT JUST ME? oh thank god.

It's funny because the first Skarlet I ever played was really good but didn't play as a zoner. He gave me a really hard time. Then the second Skarlet was WAY worse, but zoned. He gave me an almost equally hard time.
So far i'm giving people a mid range fighting Skarlet. Scorpion can't be zoned anyways.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
About half of the scorpion players I’ve come against are raging turtlers, waiting for a projectile to teleport lol
Yes, I came across a Scorpion player who just back peddle more than Mayweather does in his fights. Apparently that help him stay away from my range. Then he just teleport, then back paddles again on his turn is over. Annoying that dash sucks so I just get back into his face. I can teleport also with Skarlett, but it's easy to be uppercutted from it.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Is anyone else getting fucked up by how similar Skarlet's parry looks to a block animation? We got Johnny doing a fucking Mr. Mime impression, and then Skarlet over here casually going "oh no I'm so scared, I'm blocking, please don't anyone try to throw me, I GOT YOU NOOOW MOTHERFUCKER YOU DONE FUCKED UP!"

Can't she have some blood swirling around her or something? God damn, woman.

LawAbidingCitizen

Is anyone else getting fucked up by how similar Skarlet's parry looks to a block animation? We got Johnny doing a fucking Mr. Mime impression, and then Skarlet over here casually going "oh no I'm so scared, I'm blocking, please don't anyone try to throw me, I GOT YOU NOOOW MOTHERFUCKER YOU DONE FUCKED UP!"

Can't she have some blood swirling around her or something? God damn, woman.
I haven't even seen her parry. But yeah if it's that similar maybe an animation or FX could be in order?

Don't throws and lows go through all parties or did they change it up on OST beta?

LawAbidingCitizen

Yes, I came across a Scorpion player who just back peddle more than Mayweather does in his fights. Apparently that help him stay away from my range. Then he just teleport, then back paddles again on his turn is over. Annoying that dash sucks so I just get back into his face. I can teleport also with Skarlett, but it's easy to be uppercutted from it.
You should get half screen and sciphon him or use those projectiles, the slow one that restands and the tenticle to check em.

I don't have access but I remember certain ones give you health and others cause DOT/Tick Damage. Don't know which ones cuz I'm going off what I've seen.

You being a commando Kano main from MKX I imagined Baraka would fit your playstyle more?
Baraka has tick throws and is decent with projectiles and has a plus on block string I think F212 but like all + moves it has a gap they can Flawless Block.