What's new

Initial Impressions

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
It's at least MKX Scorpion, since he hates Quan Chi.

If they're actually giving characters dialogue from different timelines in intros, that's gonna be really fucking confusing. Casuals who are trying to follow the story will be SO confused by the intros.
True abd yeah, your version sounds better.
Sub vs Scarlett dialogue is the best for me. “Because you are going to die”.

Lun

proud TERF!
Well, I'm glad I didn't get in the stress test. When I try out MK11 for the first time, I want it to be a shiny good experience! Not just three characters, one game mode, and long waiting times.

kevkopdx

Noob
NJP, Armor doesn't have anything to do with versitility.

Look it's different than MKX and 9 is that such a bad thing. MK9 was different from X just as every game was different from the last, this is nothing new aside from 1&2. People need to quit expecting MK11 to be anything like MKX, nothing wrong with comparisons but judging the meta based off a game that is completely different is not accurate.

Literally many where saying combos where neutered that it didn't exsist. These replies are not out of the blue. They where very warranted. I have no agenda and was actually someone worried about combos lacking. My fears where put to rest during OST beta.

Evidence of combo diversity and length:
There are long big damage combos and I've seen them being in REO's HoneyBees and K&Ms streams. Krushing blows add depth and versitility. You need to take into account that noone has practice mode right now. No one has the capability to lab stuff up, range of normals, what triggers KBs and which ones pop up he'll most of the pros don't even know thier move list or the frame data this means they can't play neutral properly = you won't see optimal combos.

Scarlet Zoning Character:
16 hit combo from normal string popup
2 bars
46% damage no fatal blow.

Big Combos that's recorded:
That's insain damage and a pretty long combo. BTW I was a regular Cyrax player in MK9 among many other pockets I cleared 40% midscreen 1 bar with most characters in MKX and I'm telling you even though it's different than MKX the potential and exsistence of long versatile combos is in MK11.
If you are not pulling it off right now that's likely because we lack game knowledge of many aspects of the game. (Not an insult to anyone) even the competitive players lack proper knowledge of MK11.

Subject to change:
This is a OST build that us only partial of the game in all it's glory. Many things will change including normals, special moves, range of moves and speed. For this build they removed Special Cancel on Scorpion's B141 string when it was available in reveal. NRS is testing different things out and has openly addressed this. "Many aspects of the game are placeholder and will be changed accordingly" - Ed Boon, Steve B., Derek K.

Game mechanics first impressions:
So far I'm seeing an improvement on many mechanics over the absurdly unbalanced MK9/X (Even though I loved both those games). My boi Cyrax was Broke AF in 9.

My conclusion:
I see it's a wonderful game that has incredible depth. Here are some new features that create both depth and positives in neutral based gameplay forcing players to the no about what they do B4 slapping out random mix-ups for free.

• Regenerating meter
This allows players to focus on Neutral more and other game mechanics. Allows players to play the way they want without being forced to use a specific playstyle to gain meter
  • Fatal blow
Previous games had X-ray which was shit to be frank. Now we have a very strong tools that isn't broke and requires actual thought to put it out there since it can be interrupted at startup. Game changing move.
  • Defensive & Offensive meter
Self explanatory, allows you to do more helping defensive players and zoners as well as rushdown.
  • Krushing Blows
This forces players to learn thier character in and out while also having to learn more about thier matchups since they need to watch out for moves that KB. It adds depth to combos in a way we have never seen before in mk games. You have to adjust to using other strings based on what you used previously and what you need to do to meet requirements for KB.
I think it also helps characters that normally wouldn't have damage or lengthy combos suddenly have the capability.
  • Flawless Block
This helps fight against strong zoning and rushdown. It rewards players who put in the time to perfect block on reaction and reads. You won't see random casuals landing it consistently which puts additional focus on neutral based gameplay at higher levels since they are worried they will get blown up for throwing unsafe strings that have gaps or spamming the same projectile predictively. This allows counters for both styles of gameplay.

There is so much more to MK11 than I can write here. There is much more to be seen and I'm eagerly waiting to have the full version of the game with at least a month in lab before advocating serious change unless it's something broke viewed by most of the community.

I hope I addressed some of your concerns and if I haven't and you still think combos are lackluster or limited or absent then I hope the massive amount of streams can shed light on that concern so you have a clear understanding one way or the other.
I don’t have any concerns, All I’m saying is the game is very different. No need to be on the defensive, nobody is even saying the game sucks. The combo system is different, period. The devs have said this over and over and it’s very apparent. I’ve watched a ton of streams, I’ve played the game all day. It’s neutral heavy, with lots of new mechanics and combos are not the same, that’s all. Good lord, it’s like nobody can have any varying opinion.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I don’t have any concerns, All I’m saying is the game is very different. No need to be on the defensive, nobody is even saying the game sucks. The combo system is different, period. The devs have said this over and over and it’s very apparent. I’ve watched a ton of streams, I’ve played the game all day. It’s neutral heavy, with lots of new mechanics and combos are not the same, that’s all. Good lord, it’s like nobody can have any varying opinion.
What, you can have whatever opinion you want. I just expressed my disagreement based off visual evidence and many high level players testimonials.

kevkopdx

Noob
What, you can have whatever opinion you want. I just expressed my disagreement based off visual evidence and many high level players testimonials.
Are you saying that the actual developers of the game lied when they said that combos are generally toned down and krushing blows are how most characters get damage? It sure seems to be the case based on this beta. I don’t even care lol I digress

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I don't want anyone to have armor in the neutral period. We don't need a free steal a turn in MK11
I think armor is fine in this game as long as it
1. doesn’t lead to a big combo or huge damag like MKX
2. Isn’t frame 1 instant

These are the two reason it was so toxic before.

If the armored moves in this game are all like Baraka’s flag charge than it should be fine

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Are you saying that the actual developers of the game lied when they said that combos are generally toned down
Their statements were so vague, they didn't need to lie.

What does "combos are generally toned down" mean? At which level of play -- casual, ladder scrub, or pro? Toned down by how much? The same amount at every level, or are there, for example, substantially less combos at casual level, and only slightly less at the pro level? Any of these things would make their statement true.

I'm not attacking you or your comments btw. If you think combos in MK11 are less "versatile" than usual for NRS games, you might be right about that (I have very little experience with INJ and INJ2)! And certainly everyone agrees that it's a different game from MKX.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
For the record, in regards to the "combos are toned down" discussion, I stated:

Combos overall are definitely toned down, but feel more natural and make for a more interesting (and lengthy) match, where the victory isn't decided in the first five seconds of the match...
Obviously I'm not a pro-level player, or even a big online player. Probably more along the lines of a casual. But my statement regarding combos wasn't meant to be negative. Rather, I actually found that shorter combos made the game feel more enjoyable overall. And there's definitely some pro-level players out there pulling off massive combos, but for the most part, nothing like MKX (again, a good thing in my opinion).

So, when I say toned down, I don't mean worse or boring. For me, it's a good thing. A return to form, honestly. ^^

Just wanted to clear up my OP, as it seemed to be starting a few arguments. :)

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I think armor is fine in this game as long as it
1. doesn’t lead to a big combo or huge damag like MKX
2. Isn’t frame 1 instant

These are the two reason it was so toxic before.

If the armored moves in this game are all like Baraka’s flag charge than it should be fine
Yeah, that’s true and fair. Tremor’s armor or Ermac’s mystic armor were cancer

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Are you saying that the actual developers of the game lied when they said that combos are generally toned down and krushing blows are how most characters get damage? It sure seems to be the case based on this beta. I don’t even care lol I digress
Yes I'm saying they lied.
1. Once they realized the lashback they have been backpedaling every stream.
2. Tyler and Derek are far from combo experts.
3. It was incredibly vauge and didn't address if it was stated on Length of combos or Damage, both of which have been proven wrong in multiple ways on live stream.

Maybe we won't have Kitana 30 second combos but we will still have combo diversity and plenty of options. People saying it was lackluster was beyond exaggeration.
I guess push the envelope and watch it bend?

All I'm doing is stating facts obtained through verifiable observation. The game is young and I'm willing to bet we shall see great things in the near future.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
So I still haven’t figured out how to use the defense meter for mk 11 yet...any threads up on it on tym that I might have missed? Cause I have no idea what the inputs are for that lol

Kal

<3
I guess I'm in the minority but I didn't really enjoy what I played so far unfortunately, I'm hoping it will grow on me by the time the actual beta ends in a few weeks.

I'm not feeling the slow gameplay (and no that doesn't mean I want run back, the game is just slow). I'm not liking the free replenishing meters, the free fatal blow, nor the useless dashes.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I've played a little over 40 matches and this is my impressions on the Fatal Blow mechanic.

If you have very little health and your opponent is almost full, that is where FBs shine. Use it in a combo for big damage and it gives you a fighting chance for a crazy comeback.

And then, there is also the event in which both players are down to their last few bars of health and they both have their FBs. You'll be forced to play on the defensive, hoping to block the FB and throw out d3s and 4s to chip away at their health or if you're a crazy mofo you'll throw out your FB and pray it's not blocked. Or you could do the smart thing, be patient and throw overheads or lows depending on how you conditioned them to block.

But, once the FB hits you, all you can do is stare at the screen in despair and think of all the ways you could have prevented such a gruesome outcome.

Little tip: wait for the punish, down 2, hold that shit, watch their head fly out.

I like it, I feel like it forces players to be defensive than just in your face all the time and I think with the changes they made that's what they were going for with this game.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
I've played a little over 40 matches and this is my impressions on the Fatal Blow mechanic.

If you have very little health and your opponent is almost full, that is where FBs shine. Use it in a combo for big damage and it gives you a fighting chance for a crazy comeback.

And then, there is also the event in which both players are down to their last few bars of health and they both have their FBs. You'll be forced to play on the defensive, hoping to block the FB and throw out d3s and 4s to chip away at their health or if you're a crazy mofo you'll throw out your FB and pray it's not blocked. Or you could do the smart thing, be patient and throw overheads or lows depending on how you conditioned them to block.

But, once the FB hits you, all you can do is stare at the screen in despair and think of all the ways you could have prevented such a gruesome outcome.

Little tip: wait for the punish, down 2, hold that shit, watch their head fly out.

I like it, I feel like it forces players to be defensive than just in your face all the time and I think with the changes they made that's what they were going for with this game.
This right here. +1 ^^

In my matches, I've had a very similar experience. When it was down to the wire and we both had Fatals charged, the rampant aggression was dialed back a notch and the match turned into a tense and suspenseful mind game of who'd fuck up first. Rather than run in and start hammering on each other, we'd keep testing one another's defenses with light taps and quick jump aways (if possible). The second one of use whiffed our Fatal, though, the other took full advantage and turned up the aggression again. It was intense! :D

And I definitely had a few matches where the Fatal saved my ass from certain defeat, but only if I used it wisely (or as wisely as one can with only 2-3 hours of experience with the game). I can't tell you how many people whiffed it as soon as it became available, when they'd probably won the match if they'd just held back and opened me up to use it.

Also, damn those Krushing Blows hurt like hell. I think they're going to be the true gamechangers in this game, not the Fatals. I need to get into that mindset with them too, and practice their requirements.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Ed's confirmed that the Krushing Blow requirements will be included in the movelist!

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1106918339778170880
This is very welcome news.

Edit: Hopefully this time if we perform a "secret" Krushing Blow or Brutality it will show up on our list, lol. Maybe have to do it a few times to "Master" it so you can remind yourself of the buttons anytime rather than it showing up 'cause you did it on accident if they still want that thrill of "whoa how'd I do that!" discovery.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I enjoy MK 11, and NRS said the movement will be even better once released so I'm happy. I think it has a very MK 2/MK9 feel to it, which I love. A very back and forth feel, unlike MK X which was pro aggressor. This game will be freaking awesome!

stokedAF

casual kahnage
It's not for you to learn to play, it's a stress test.
I played 4 matches and then did something else. It defeats the purpose of a stress test if people stop playing. I don’t have the patience to learn something under constant assault. It’s not fun. Which is a shame because the game itself is really fun. It was a wasted code on me I guess.