What's new

Initial Impressions

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Is anybody else getting a sound lag sometimes? Like when Kahn says fatality at the end it’s just a buzzing noise for a second. I ask because I think another game did this as well but I didn’t catch it good. I’m hoping it’d not my system about to crap out.

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
Is anybody else getting a sound lag sometimes? Like when Kahn says fatality at the end it’s just a buzzing noise for a second. I ask because I think another game did this as well but I didn’t catch it good. I’m hoping it’d not my system about to crap out.
i got the glitch too ur good

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I love everything about this game so far. NRS really listened to the competitive community and built their entire game with us in mind. Playing footsies in MK11 is so much damn fun, satisfying and rewarding. Hell I might even have to play Scorpion in the main game. Having a teleport in this game is extremely beneficial. Plus he has good footsie tools.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I am writing this while watching FR SFV top 8 so its safe to say I ain't playing anymore of the beta before it ends so this is my final thought on the stress test

1) Love the new meter changes, its actually very refreshing and forward thinking IMO. You can't just waste it but it allows for the "big" fun things to happen more often in a match. Like in MK9/X there's no reason to spend bar if you got a big health lead unless its gonna wind up in a kill cause you can hold it to kill all opponent momentum with a breaker if they catch you, now you are incentivized to use your bar.

2) The combo-escape is too strong. I can turn it into a free punish (and with baraka that's a lot) on most strings. I had one scorp player so scared of it he just started doing sup-par combos non stop cause he was so scared of having it happen when he's about to spear and I get a full combo in return.

3) Baraka is kinda who I wound up on, but he really isn't my kinda character. Very short range and his neutral options (like f4, b2) are ehhhh at best. Had fun with him though but can't wait for subzero or geras in the proper beta. It was easy to get big stupid damage with him though.

4) Win rate % shit has to go. I have had so many people dodge me in this beta its laughable considering its supposed to be a stress test. I have sat there for 15 minutes at once point until I finally got a match because of all the dodges.

5) netcode feels very strong overall, and I hope the continuing shaming of wifi players continues forever, and in greater ways.

6) scorpion is for nerds 1992 - 2019

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I'm thinking my excitement for this game is about as close when I heard about mk2. It's so addicting and fun to play. I wasn't this addicted since mk9 haven't felt like this with the last 3 games. Good shit NRS for bringing my passion back.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Done with the test now.

To get it out the way, my one legitimate gripe is the air escape - I'm not sure if it even needs to be here. There are a few other things here and there I'm not too keen on, but nothing major really and they'll probably be ironed out.

Based on this build at least, I think I love this game. I had mixed feelings on MK9 and especially X - losing interest in that game after about a month was kinda rough for me, it was the first time I wasn't really gelling with an NRS game. And right after I'd just put an absurd amount of time into IGAU.

When I heard they were going for a more slower, more footsies/fundamentals-based game, I was pretty damn happy as that's right up my alley and practically as far away from MKX as possible. So holy shit am I glad that the game, even in this early state, is just as satisfying as I wanted it to be, if not more. Feels so good to play and I LOVE that I actually have to think hard about a lot of the stuff I do. It feels so fucking rewarding when you come out on top, and I was doing well tonight just by utilising punishes, tick throws and big stinky footsies with Baraka. I straight-up barely used big combos at all and still did fine. It's just so refreshing after last time.

Considering all that, plus Baraka FINALLY being at his best/not overlooked trash in terms of gameplay and character (going off intro dialogue and whatnot), at this rate I don't see how this won't end up being my favourite NRS title. Now that I've played it properly I'm dying to see the rest of the cast more than usual, just to know how they work in this particular kind of game.

i really enjoyed the beta it was amazing and its by far the best looking fighting game out there. but like sonic said i agree with everything he said.

i also want to had those things

-the online isnt has greath has i though i really have to commit to your input cause the game wont recognize it by adding few extra frames to compensate i guess its better than nothing but really noticeable and can mess up execution

-another online complain is sometimes some punish arent working properly example scorpion teleport supposed to be -20 so with skarlet 212 is 13 frame and i cant seem to get it to work . i even saw pros not be able to hit that

-the move list seems incomplete , not showing krushing blows and some of the frame date is clearly incorrect or its a side effect of the online.

-there is no quitality maybe its because its just the beta.

-the kalssic tower structure seems low polygons its wierd cause the game looks so good and the ui and all but it seems out of place like a old ps3 game.

i want to end on a good note , good job NRS !! you might have the best NRS game ever just fix the minor things and you are good to go.

Last edited:

RoninLoganX

The Masterless Sword
I noticed in one of the streams an option in one of the menus in one of the streams said Easy Fatalities. Any info on that, how it might work?

I haven't read all 11 pages of this, so if any of this was covered before, I apologize. I just thought I'd give my thoughts as a player that put a TON of time into MK9, and quite a bit less in MKX.

So far, I'm loving the game, and I've been generally impressed with the net code. I've had lag in a VERY small percentage of the matches that I've played. So that's good. Mechanics-wise, I'm liking what they're doing with the game, for the most part. I haven't had much of a chance to play around with flawless blocking, but I like the meter use for rolls, wake ups, etc. I feel like they really put a lot of thought into the gameplay and tried to keep it true to MK while introducing some new koncepts. It's hard to give a real deep dive when you're trying to learn on the fly, however.

I used Skarlet for the vast majority of my matches, with the occasional Baraka thrown in for good measure. I didn't use Scorpion at all because I don't feel like playing 90% Scorpion mirror matches--which will likely continue once the full game comes out. One thing that concerns me is zoning in this game. Zoning has never really worked well in MK because so many characters have fast specials, teleports, etc., that allow them to react. Scarlet was designed to try to keep you away, but when Scorpion can basically react to projectiles with teleport, it basically shuts her game down. Just the threat of eating a full combo off of teleport is enough. Once he's in, he can mix up with overheads and lows, both of which are either safe, or can be made safe. There's little risk to his game, especially if he has meter. It's really frustrating, especially when you fight against him 90% of the time (at least in the stress test). Granted, I haven't had the time or ability to mess around and figure out the best way around all of his strings, but it sure seems like he's safe as hell once he gets in. As long as you don't do anything dumb like a naked teleport, you're pretty good.

The other thing is that Scarlett doesn't have many strings that she can actually combo from, and she doesn't have any that include overheads, so block low and you're good. This wouldn't be a big deal if you were able to properly zone against Scorpion, but you really can't. The best you can hope for is to try to keep him at distance in neutral, but that's historically been very difficult in MK games. Time will tell if it's any different this time around...

Gamer68

Fujin!
Final thoughts: Should have been using Misery Blade for Scorpion sooner. Lol.

Seriously though, my opinion hasn't really changed much. Gameplay is solid, characters seem fun, and the netcode is seems to be some of the best in fighting games. To me, this feels like the first truly next-gen game from NRS.

MKX just kinda built off of MK9 mechanics by adding running and brought over interactables from Injustice. Not to mention that the game was being made with PS3 and 360 in-mind before those versions ended up getting cancelled. Injustice 2 built off of Injustice 1, but added the enhanced dashes/rolls and combo escapes -- honestly not much in terms of mechanics. These past couple of games have felt like "let's take what we've done in the past, but expand on it and little and change a few things"

Mortal Kombat 11 feels completely fresh. The meter system, wake-up system, short hops, flawless block, Krushing Blows, Fatal Blows... the game feels new. I'm also a fan of the emphasis being put on footsies and the neutral game, after MKX I think over aggressive and non-stop 50/50s can take a break.

It's important to note that we are all in the "honeymoon" phase right now, so trying to put the hype aside and being as honest as I can get, I do have a few criticisms. I think that dashes could maybe use a buff (movement in general) and chip kills need to go. Flawless block maybe needs some changes, the interactions with it feel a little weird and unfair at times. I agree with most of Sonic Fox's criticisms, but to be fair, it's super early so I'm not 100% and these things absolutely need to change right now.

Right now, everything is looking really good. Even if my criticisms with the gameplay aren't addressed, I still think the game is solid. My #1 worry with the gameplay is actually how competitive variations will work, and what moves will be in them. How are they going to put all of these ability moves in only three variations? A single move can sometimes take two or even three loadout slots... I don't see how they can make three variations include all of the moves. So either 1) competitive variations will have more moves than custom variations which is unlikely, or 2) we are actually getting more than three variations (4 maybe 5?), or 3) some of these moves will never see competitive play. I really hope #3 doesn't happen and #2 does instead. I don't want this to end up like Injustice 2, where the coolest moves will never be seen in tournaments.

kevkopdx

Noob
I haven't read all 11 pages of this, so if any of this was covered before, I apologize. I just thought I'd give my thoughts as a player that put a TON of time into MK9, and quite a bit less in MKX.

So far, I'm loving the game, and I've been generally impressed with the net code. I've had lag in a VERY small percentage of the matches that I've played. So that's good. Mechanics-wise, I'm liking what they're doing with the game, for the most part. I haven't had much of a chance to play around with flawless blocking, but I like the meter use for rolls, wake ups, etc. I feel like they really put a lot of thought into the gameplay and tried to keep it true to MK while introducing some new koncepts. It's hard to give a real deep dive when you're trying to learn on the fly, however.

I used Skarlet for the vast majority of my matches, with the occasional Baraka thrown in for good measure. I didn't use Scorpion at all because I don't feel like playing 90% Scorpion mirror matches--which will likely continue once the full game comes out. One thing that concerns me is zoning in this game. Zoning has never really worked well in MK because so many characters have fast specials, teleports, etc., that allow them to react. Scarlet was designed to try to keep you away, but when Scorpion can basically react to projectiles with teleport, it basically shuts her game down. Just the threat of eating a full combo off of teleport is enough. Once he's in, he can mix up with overheads and lows, both of which are either safe, or can be made safe. There's little risk to his game, especially if he has meter. It's really frustrating, especially when you fight against him 90% of the time (at least in the stress test). Granted, I haven't had the time or ability to mess around and figure out the best way around all of his strings, but it sure seems like he's safe as hell once he gets in. As long as you don't do anything dumb like a naked teleport, you're pretty good.

The other thing is that Scarlett doesn't have many strings that she can actually combo from, and she doesn't have any that include overheads, so block low and you're good. This wouldn't be a big deal if you were able to properly zone against Scorpion, but you really can't. The best you can hope for is to try to keep him at distance in neutral, but that's historically been very difficult in MK games. Time will tell if it's any different this time around...
This is my main gripe as well, I really wish they would just get rid of teleports. It’s too late for this game, but they just don’t mesh with the footsie style at all. I hope they at least nerf them so they are extremely high risk.
As far as strings go, I’m fine with it. Using overheads as conditioning tools even if they don’t lead into combos is fine. But again, scorpion has mixups, lol... his gameplay doesn’t belong in this game

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Regardless of how NRS says "it's all about the nooch yo" they will never get rid of fuck neutral tools like teleport or a lot of the legacy special moves because casuals will qq. Just hope they tweak them enough that they aren't so binary

That being said scorpions has a ton of unsafe shit without misery blade and many of his strings have gaps. He'd perfectly fit into the narrative of neutral without his teleport nothing else changing.

Last edited:

Xelz

Go over there!
No matter how good you wifi is, you will be experiencing something called packet loss. Depend on how much packets you will be losing, you might cause lag spikes. Lag spikes for fighting games are even worse than higher delay, but more stable connection, because they will happen randomly and make you drop your combos, inputs etc. Stability for fighting games is much more important than speed.
Not every wifi system experiences packet loss. My PC is on wifi (thankfully I can wire my console to the router, though!), and I continually monitor ping and packet loss with Ping Plotter. I get 0% packet loss over wifi and 3-5ms added latency.

The catch is that I had to spend a lot of time optimizing my wifi setup to get to that point, and I doubt most wifi users fully optimize their network. Long story short, wifi can be good, it just often isn't.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Ive actually came across that too but it was more of dialogue with the characters. It almost looked like a Kung Fu movie with the words being out synced with their lips. It was kinda funny lol

BUT Uncle JBeezY's initial feelings about this game is....its gonna be the best fighter this year hands down!

This game has the best fucking online ive EVER experienced with these current FGs and that says ALOT! The netcode ....OMG! I wanna cry on how good it is and im BIG on online quality because I don't go to tournaments or locals often at all so this is mostly all I have to rely on.

My only concern tho is the movelist. I feel there should be more variety of good and bad moves instead of just having 2 good strings and the rest or just ok. But of course EVERYBODY is gonna want to use the best moves which means everybody that plays a character is gonna mostly play the exact same way. The same BnB, the same punishes, etc. That can get stale really fast!

I learned the Soul Calibur route of making characters has been the best thus far. Which is makes EVERYBODY stupid good with crazy tools, then tone down later. NRS decided to take a more safer route which is fine but will create longevity of the game in the long run? Or will we be cursed with another 2 year expiration date?

Just my thoughts.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Ive actually came across that too but it was more of dialogue with the characters. It almost looked like a Kung Fu movie with the words being out synced with their lips. It was kinda funny lol

BUT Uncle JBeezY's initial feelings about this game is....its gonna be the best fighter this year hands down!

This game has the best fucking online ive EVER experienced with these current FGs and that says ALOT! The netcode ....OMG! I wanna cry on how good it is and im BIG on online quality because I don't go to tournaments or locals often at all so this is mostly all I have to rely on.

My only concern tho is the movelist. I feel there should be more variety of good and bad moves instead of just having 2 good strings and the rest or just ok. But of course EVERYBODY is gonna want to use the best moves which means everybody that plays a character is gonna mostly play the exact same way. The same BnB, the same punishes, etc. That can get stale really fast!

I learned the Soul Calibur route of making characters has been the best thus far. Which is makes EVERYBODY stupid good with crazy tools, then tone down later. NRS decided to take a more safer route which is fine but will create longevity of the game in the long run? Or will we be cursed with another 2 year expiration date?

Just my thoughts.
Yeah I usually don’t play online and the first few matches going in blind made me remember why. But I sucked it up, found a dude on my level and we traded wins. I had a blast. It’s definitely the best MK I have ever played, it felt great and I’m going to be playing for a long time.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Win/Loss ratio really needs to go.
It's like the worst possible way to do this for a fighting game.
Everyone is babies and refuses matches.
If they are doing this in a stress test of all things, just wait until the real game hits.

I don't know why they just don't rip off all Japanese fighting games rank system, shit works super well.

Outside of a few gripes its the best NRS game to date, it's what I wanted MK9 to be when it was first shown.
If they alter a few things like the air escape and FB, I think the game would be perfect.

The win loss record causing people to decline was mildly annoying for the stress test, but would only be an issue if you continue to play Kasual matches upon full release. If history is any indicator, you won't be able to back out of ranked matches once it finds the opponent.