What's new

Initial Impressions

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
From what I played and talking with other players I think game looks interesting BUT some things might have to be changed.

-Breakaway is silly. Traditional breakers would be better imo, or a modified breakaway.

-Flawless block into u2 needs to be toned down or straight up eliminated. Just a few days in and people started getting it pretty consistently. Looks too powerful right now. Flawless block into u3 seems like a good enough reward for the defender, without turning gaps into mkx scenario of armor launcher reversals.

-Movement slightly speeded up would be fine (confirmed by Boon to happen).

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
-Movement slightly speeded up would be fine (confirmed by Boon to happen).
Nope. Boon only said that the movement is "better." Better could mean a lot of different things. Expecting something that wasn't explicitly confirmed is a sure fire recipe for disappointment.

ismael4790

Nope. Boon only said that the movement is "better." Better could mean a lot of different things. Expecting something that wasn't explicitly confirmed is a sure fire recipe for disappointment.
Everybody is saying it needs to be speeded up, so I guess Boon trying to calm down people saying movement is better means it's going to be slower... man. Sometimes it is not necessary to say things explicitly.

I don't think there are many scenarios other than better walkspeeds or better back dashes/forward dashes. Doubt they introduce a new mechanic for movement at this point.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
okay I only have one gripe and it's with players more than game mechanics.

it's one thing to just whoop my ass, I'm used to that. It's one thing to use "cheap" shit to win, again, it's an FG, the sky is blue, I know what's up. But if you're just gonna stand there and let me wail on you for 3/4's of a round, I'm annoyed.

What do you think ur proving lol? That you can beat me? Congrats, the last five ass whoopings proved that, let's just play the game.

Was trying to practice Flawless Block tbh

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I feel that once the ping starts to get around 100 the delay becomes too heavy to play the game properly. It got to the point where I couldnt blick mid screen speer on reaction. The game plays well at lower pings, though.

Honestly I really domt understand why they dont give us delay options for the online play like all other ggpo games do. Have the default option set to whatever auto setting they have now and give the players the option to toggle it.Lag is lag but I'd rather deal with rollback and have consistent timing between on and offline than to play with input lag.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Now that Im using the flawless block mechanic myself, I have to agree with the U2 being ridiculously strong.

Also, is 30% too soon to give the Fatals? Should they recharge that round if you whiff or block them? Why are they safe or close to it? What is the risk to this mechanic?

Breakaways are questionable. Maybe juggles are max damage and for when youve forced your opponent to spend meter so they dont have it available? Idk. Still seems odd to get a get out of jail and pass go collect 200 in one move.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Sorry for the scrub question but what does WiFi do to fighting games? Even if you have awesome WiFi upload it’s bad?

To me it would seem fighting games are the best type of game since there isn’t much to load opposed to call of duty for example that has 20 people running around on a giant map.

gitblame

Noob
Sorry for the scrub question but what does WiFi do to fighting games? Even if you have awesome WiFi upload it’s bad?

To me it would seem fighting games are the best type of game since there isn’t much to load opposed to call of duty for example that has 20 people running around on a giant map.
No matter how good you wifi is, you will be experiencing something called packet loss. Depend on how much packets you will be losing, you might cause lag spikes. Lag spikes for fighting games are even worse than higher delay, but more stable connection, because they will happen randomly and make you drop your combos, inputs etc. Stability for fighting games is much more important than speed.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
No matter how good you wifi is, you will be experiencing something called packet loss. Depend on how much packets you will be losing, you might cause lag spikes. Lag spikes for fighting games are even worse than higher delay, but more stable connection, because they will happen randomly and make you drop your combos, inputs etc. Stability for fighting games is much more important than speed.
Oh ok thanks

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Everybody is saying it needs to be speeded up, so I guess Boon trying to calm down people saying movement is better means it's going to be slower... man. Sometimes it is not necessary to say things explicitly.
Sure, sometimes it's not necessary to say things explicitly. And sometimes, when you're dealing with lawyers, or doctors, or product PR, or your girlfriend, it is. In this case Jeff is your girlfriend. I mean a PR person.

A lot of people have been struggling with wakeup roll inputs, have you considered that movement being better might mean that wakeup roll input timings have been slackened? Or that maybe you can now perform wakeup rolls after any knockdown? Or that particular rushdown abilities are faster, so that it's true that movement is "faster"... but only if you tech for it? Or that particular rushdown abilities will take you farther across the screen?

If Jeff wanted to say that walk speeds are faster, or that dash speeds are faster, or that walk and dash speeds are faster, he could have said those things. He said movement is better. We don't know what that means.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
You should get half screen and sciphon him or use those projectiles, the slow one that restands and the tenticle to check em.

I don't have access but I remember certain ones give you health and others cause DOT/Tick Damage. Don't know which ones cuz I'm going off what I've seen.

You being a commando Kano main from MKX I imagined Baraka would fit your playstyle more?
Baraka has tick throws and is decent with projectiles and has a plus on block string I think F212 but like all + moves it has a gap they can Flawless Block.
I haven't figured out the timing for flawless blocking yet to make it validable. I need the training mode to see how the time in works. So far I'm getting it on accident.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Sooo..anyone not using a char with teleport (hint) find skarlet a bit unnaproachable with her vertical huge mids and insane projectiles?

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Sooo..anyone not using a char with teleport (hint) find skarlet a bit unnaproachable with her vertical huge mids and insane projectiles?
As a Skarlet player, I think that the tentacle should be a high and ball should be a mid maybe. Its honestly super oppressive offense against Baraka to the point that I feel genuine empathy during some sets. But again, some better players just duck walk and exploit that tentacle is jumpable at certain ranges and tbh enhanced blade spark is really good for counter zoning.

Her mids arent really that good outside of the f4, f2 feels really inconsistent on jumps and the 1 follow up is negative af. Sweep and b2 on the otherhand, godlike.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
As a Skarlet player, I think that the tentacle should be a high and ball should be a mid maybe. Its honestly super oppressive offense against Baraka to the point that I feel genuine empathy during some sets. But again, some better players just duck walk and exploit that tentacle is jumpable at certain ranges and tbh enhanced blade spark is really good for counter zoning.

Her mids arent really that good outside of the f4, f2 feels really inconsistent on jumps and the 1 follow up is negative af. Sweep and b2 on the otherhand, godlike.
I'm glad I'm not insane, literally my f4 is out of range constantly and I can't get in, while she walks back tentacle I can only crouch walk, it reminds me of the lex zod matchup.

Let's hope cage won't be that useless against this tactic.

For negative edge yes you can turn it off, in the main menu press options (you can see a little hud element that says that which is not very visible) and at controls you have the option to negative edge off, thank god.

leoj89

Noob
I'm having problems with the wake ups and mb. I wish they would make the mb more like mkx. Struggling without a practice mode to get the imputs and timing right.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Okay, my first impressions! I've been playing the game for a solid 7 hours or so I'd say. I. Fucking. Suck. BUT I HAD SO MUCH DAMN FUN! That's how you know the game is good, you can have fun even if you're getting your ass handed to you. It was technical but crazy, and kinda overwhelming a lot of the time...for me, anyway. I rocked Skarlet most of the time. Doing the same 2,1,2 combo along with the 4,4 like my life depended on it. I was getting stuck trying to figure out the best way to do my specials or when the right time was to toss out a bloodshot. (I know this character's meant to be a zoner, but I didn't necessarily play her that way the whole time. It was hard for me not to get out-zoned by Baraka's sparks and I just crumbled against Scorpion every time.

My Skarlet looking like a bad bitch.

~The Abilities I Used with Skarlet~

Dagger Dance (Parry): Holy shit do I love this move. I love how it looks similar to her block and that you can hold it as long as you want (although coming out of the parry state takes a bit so if Scorpion throws his spear you gotta be quick or you're screwed) A few of the people I played with caught me though and would hit me with a low or jump in cause they knew it was the parry. But, if you hit it and amplify you're gonna get health back.

Bloodport (teleport): I didn't necessarily use this TOO much, or at least I didn't utilize it how I should have. It's confusing to do against Scorpion cause we'd teleport at the same time and it's a clusterfuck. I wish it was a little quicker tbh (Like, Scorpion's teleport is fast as fuck) but it does its job. It's good against Baraka cause he'll be tossing the sparks out (like, a lot.) and you gotta get in.

Boiling Point: This move was dope, however, I didn't get a ton of chances to use it because the startup isn't super quick. But, it's really cool when you do hit it. The amplify version does a lot of damage.

I like her moves that give her health back. I didn't realize her bloodshot move gave her health if it hits and you amplify until later, but it's dope. You get a lot of health with the parry while dealing a bit of damage, it's sick.

All in all, I think I really like Skarlet a lot more than I thought I would, and may even end up maining her when the game comes out and I can actually practice. (Not having a training mode is tough especially when you don't know the moves. I was constantly pausing during the intros and between rounds to look up her stuff.) But with some practice, I think I'll get better. It's hard to jump into a new game with new mechanics and not know anything.

The gameplay is smooth and a lot of fun to me. I much prefer this to MKX. Although I was getting hit with some combos I still had fun. I like the armored wake up (the one that's safe) I was constantly throwing that out to try and gain some footing (still got my ass kicked lol) I only think I did a breakaway once and forgot how to do it. And I know there are wake-up rolls, but I never figure out how to do them either. (I was putting in the inputs, but I might've done it too early?)

Krushing Blows - Super lit, I only got the grab one once but I got the uppercut a lot. They feel really satisfying and I'm excited to be able to know their requirements.

Fatal Blows: Also lit. I like them a lot, but I know other people don't. I'd throw out my fatal blow and they'd block, so I'd have to try and survive long enough to get it back (I never played her as a zoner so I didn't keep away. I'd just go ham on the 2,1,2 and pray it came back, but I'd always end up getting wrecked and have to save it for the last round. I always saved them until the opponent was at lower health so it'd kill. Kinda as a "get outta jail free" card, but I'd still end up dying LMFAO. The only time I'd throw it out when they were at full health is when I was super close to dying and was scared.

Everything just seems so damn fun ughhhh I can't wait, you guys. I'm hype for the beta and I'm hype for the game. If the beta has some sort of training mode or solo play I'd love it, but even if it just has a handful of more characters I'd be content. I didn't think I'd be able to play it due to my slow download speed, but I'm so happy I got a chance to check it out. It feels so good. It's gonna feel even better when I can memorize this stuff.

Also, my variation name for Skarlet was Bloody Mary.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I hope you all had fun. ^^
I've just watched some streams and videos. The game looks good. Can't wait for the beta in a couple of weeks.

ismael4790

Sure, sometimes it's not necessary to say things explicitly. And sometimes, when you're dealing with lawyers, or doctors, or product PR, or your girlfriend, it is. In this case Jeff is your girlfriend. I mean a PR person.

A lot of people have been struggling with wakeup roll inputs, have you considered that movement being better might mean that wakeup roll input timings have been slackened? Or that maybe you can now perform wakeup rolls after any knockdown? Or that particular rushdown abilities are faster, so that it's true that movement is "faster"... but only if you tech for it? Or that particular rushdown abilities will take you farther across the screen?

If Jeff wanted to say that walk speeds are faster, or that dash speeds are faster, or that walk and dash speeds are faster, he could have said those things. He said movement is better. We don't know what that means.
Yeah. But the context of his tweet was it being a direct response to someone saying the game was "slow paced"... I think my interpretation is logic and the most reasonable due to that, but you can interpret it as you want of course.

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
final thoughts:

didn't get to play too much cause of work but it's super fun. I mostly played Scorpion and have started getting W's on a decent but inconsistent basis. I'm really excited to see the changes they've made to Kotal's game because he was my main near the end of MKX. Getting used to poking and spacing, but it's more nerve-wracking than MKX because of it, and I never feel like winning is too far out of reach, whereas in MKX I often felt like by the 40 second mark, the match was over.

Anti-Air's are trash and D2's are weird but not completely wacky. Krushing Blows are super fun to pull off and pairing them together is crazy cool. I didn't dash at all, which says a lot about the mechanic itself and it needs fixing. Chip death should not be a thing in this game, I completely agree with SF on that one.

I am so excited for April 23rd, and I'm so glad I have those two days off.

EDIT: Also, not sure how I feel about recharging meter anymore

Last edited: