What's new

Match-up Discussion Hawkgirl Matchup Discussion

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
I'm one of the few HawkGirl mains that actually thinks she beats Batman. Her trait beats his trait...I'm making a vid on the moves that can completely negate/avoid his stupid ass bats. ;)
if the batman tries to rushdown? yeah she wins. If they play it lame and zone? he wins in that scenario imo.
He has moves that cover all angles and the bats trying to hit you as well it just gets dumb, plus he can meterburn all of his zoning tools for a full combo -__-

Looking forward to the vid!

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
if the batman tries to rushdown? yeah she wins. If they play it lame and zone? he wins in that scenario imo.
He has moves that cover all angles and the bats trying to hit you as well it just gets dumb, plus he can meterburn all of his zoning tools for a full combo -__-

Looking forward to the vid!
Well...don't get me wrong...it's about reads...but even if he tries to zone you, she has options that allow the bats to just pass right by. Everyone moans about his trait...well HG can ignore this trait, in certain situations. Remember...HawkGirl defies fighting game rules simply by her trait.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Well...don't get me wrong...it's about reads...but even if he tries to zone you, she has options that allow the bats to just pass right by. Everyone moans about his trait...well HG can ignore this trait, in certain situations. Remember...HawkGirl defies fighting game rules simply by her trait.
Ehh.. doing stuff like 3 bats + straight batarang covers more or less all your options if you're trying to fly. your only option there is MC coz if you try to fly down he can MB the batarang and it'll pop you up.
He can do the same but with the upwards batarang and that thing MB'd has a stupidly big hitbox.
Plus he has the grapples that cover different timings/angles.

Rushing down against HG with him is really tuff unless you have bats out and even then you need a knockdown otherwise she'll just fly away.
d2 bodies his retarded j2 aside from 1 spot that hits really behind her (basically hitting the edge of the wings), one of his main strings, b233 can be punished where its free against everyone else. His wakeup is booty which gives hawkgirl more room to be aggressive compared to alot of the rest of the cast.

This is alot of theory fighting and "what-ifs" but last time i played a zoney batman i got destroyed and the batman was way worse skill-wise imo, he just played it smart and kept away coz if you stay close HG shuts alot of his stuff.

Espio

Kokomo
Ehh.. doing stuff like 3 bats + straight batarang covers more or less all your options if you're trying to fly. your only option there is MC coz if you try to fly down he can MB the batarang and it'll pop you up.
He can do the same but with the upwards batarang and that thing MB'd has a stupidly big hitbox.
Plus he has the grapples that cover different timings/angles.

Rushing down against HG with him is really tuff unless you have bats out and even then you need a knockdown otherwise she'll just fly away.
d2 bodies his retarded j2 aside from 1 spot that hits really behind her (basically hitting the edge of the wings), one of his main strings, b233 can be punished where its free against everyone else. His wakeup is booty which gives hawkgirl more room to be aggressive compared to alot of the rest of the cast.

This is alot of theory fighting and "what-ifs" but last time i played a zoney batman i got destroyed and the batman was way worse skill-wise imo, he just played it smart and kept away coz if you stay close HG shuts alot of his stuff.

I've played the Batman match up so much over the last couple months, probably more so than any of the top tiers other than Superman. Having done that, I don't think what you're saying is a lot of theory crafting because in application with Batmans who zone, know the match up well and use excellent bat management to interrupt pressure(only a few Batmans like Nubcakes are actually exploiting this, it's huge because it instills doubt and hesitation when she does get past his zoning) and compliment their zoning game are a problem for her.

She has ways to avoid his trait yes, but he has no problem keeping her out of the air and running away from her. Her mobility and solid up close game/ability to interrupt some of his strings keep her able to hang with him instead of getting bopped. This is not even taking into account his parry that can used on her down 1 and strings to check her. He also has a 6 frame jab to interrupt pressure.

He has multiple counters to her pressure, trait, and zoning options when she does get in and he's no slouch up close either even if some of his strings can be interrupted.

6-4 Batman in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 9158

I'm one of the few HawkGirl mains that actually thinks she beats Batman. Her trait beats his trait...I'm making a vid on the moves that can completely negate/avoid his stupid ass bats. ;)
hmm.

well he stands a better chance than Grundy though

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I've played the Batman match up so much over the last couple months, probably more so than any of the top tiers other than Superman. Having done that, I don't think what you're saying is a lot of theory crafting because in application with Batmans who zone, know the match up well and use excellent bat management to interrupt pressure(only a few Batmans like Nubcakes are actually exploiting this, it's huge because it instills doubt and hesitation when she does get past his zoning) and compliment their zoning game are a problem for her.

She has ways to avoid his trait yes, but he has no problem keeping her out of the air and running away from her. Her mobility and solid up close game/ability to interrupt some of his strings keep her able to hang with him instead of getting bopped. This is not even taking into account his parry that can used on her down 1 and strings to check her. He also has a 6 frame jab to interrupt pressure.

He has multiple counters to her pressure, trait, and zoning options when she does get in and he's no slouch up close either even if some of his strings can be interrupted.

6-4 Batman in my opinion.

Lmao @ your sig <3

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
As for the batman match up i also agree that it's 4-6. Batman has good zoning, space control & rushdown, also one of our best pros is thet we can negate his trait at full screen.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I personally feel that most of HG's objective in almost any match is to get them in the corner and keep there ass there. Ive been doing some practice and nearly everything she can do in the corner will get you between 35 to 48%. BTW the MC MB trait 2,3 is literally 35% alone, if you end a corner combo with it become some mean ass damage. ALso almost every damn thing she does shoves the opponent far away and she has a mean dash that can close a gap quick.

kaseyk

Noob
mc mb -f13x3 is 39% and i find f13 followup unreliable after first mc mb .
mc mb-4-12d3 is 36% no brainer or do mcmb-4-1-mcmb-4-12d3 for 51%

TheSpore

mc mb -f13x3 is 39% and i find f13 followup unreliable after first mc mb .
mc mb-4-12d3 is 36% no brainer or do mcmb-4-1-mcmb-4-12d3 for 51%
I cant seem to get a second MC after the first one any advice on how to make it happen.

kaseyk

Noob
best way is to go in labs set refill bars and right side reset then practice the mcmb-4-1mcmb loop till you can easily use all 4 bars . have to be disciplined with inputs if u hit bf2 for 2nd mc before the air 1lands itll just do air2 and for 3rd and 4th mcmb u have to hit 41 very fast after mb .
so the trick is delaying the mc input till the air 1 lands and release check must be off .

TheSpore

best way is to go in labs set refill bars and right side reset then practice the mcmb-4-1mcmb loop till you can easily use all 4 bars . have to be disciplined with inputs if u hit bf2 for 2nd mc before the air 1lands itll just do air2 and for 3rd and 4th mcmb u have to hit 41 very fast after mb .
so the trick is delaying the mc input till the air 1 lands and release check must be off .
Well that explain everything I have been inputing the MC way too early and too quickly, thanx

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Hello all. I've been lurking on these HG threads for a while and I can't help but thank you all for the work.

This weekend I'm playing a local monthly, at Game Underground in MA, and I need some quick matchup help versus Superman. There are two really good ones there and they are the only two players I've yet to take sets from. I don't have one to practice with offline at all so I guess I just need some quick pointers, easy mistakes to avoid etc. I couldn't find much in the previous nineteen pages but I guess its easy to miss in there. Thanks in advance!

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Hello all. I've been lurking on these HG threads for a while and I can't help but thank you all for the work.

This weekend I'm playing a local monthly, at Game Underground in MA, and I need some quick matchup help versus Superman. There are two really good ones there and they are the only two players I've yet to take sets from. I don't have one to practice with offline at all so I guess I just need some quick pointers, easy mistakes to avoid etc. I couldn't find much in the previous nineteen pages but I guess its easy to miss in there. Thanks in advance!
Be sure to jump and initiate trait as soon as you see them jump up and do an air laser. Remember that forward air mace tosses are key in the MU...where as they will counter his lazer and his will whiff. Ummm...D1 him to death...especially after a F23~breath. Just avoid his lazers and zone with him....

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Be sure to jump and initiate trait as soon as you see them jump up and do an air laser. Remember that forward air mace tosses are key in the MU...where as they will counter his lazer and his will whiff. Ummm...D1 him to death...especially after a F23~breath. Just avoid his lazers and zone with him....
Thanks!

You might remember from the one set we played, in which you destroyed me, that I always forget that Hawkgirls zoning game exists. I'm so used to opponents not knowing how to block my mixups and strings that I just go at people when I probably shouldn't.

Espio

Kokomo

Careful with interrupting forward 2, 3 pressure as he can bait your down 1 and whiff punish it really hard. Mix up how you deal with his pressure, sometimes waiting it out and playing patient works wonders (uppercut, wing evade 3 are some other options. You can also use mace charge to catch back dashes after forward 2,3 pressure) . You don't wanna fall into patterns because the risk/reward for interrupting is pretty favorable to Superman in comparison to Hawkgirl.

Try to convert your down 1 into full combo if you can whenever you do land a down 1 or go into pressure afterwards to keep him guessing and build some meter/chip damage.

If you're really comfortable in the match up, I think whiff punishing with back 2, 3 into combo of choice can be a huge help in the match up and encourages Superman to be more cautious.

Trait and zoning are good for countering his zoning, but don't be afraid to get close to do some damage and be mindful of your spacing while in trait as he has a couple solid answers for trait like anti-air grab.

Anyone have any tips v deathstroke or sinestro on ferris aircraft/other stages with endless corner interactables? Generally once I've backed a heavy zoner in the corner it's open season, but when there are interactables that knock me fullscreen, there's no winning.
MB cancel to full combo punish the interactable has some deterrent effect if you can get it off, back dashing works as well.

Jumping some of them is another possibility. After they've launched like the rockets on Ferris there's a bit of cool down after that so that's your opportunity to go in without having to freak about interactables and potentially get your corner game going.

Last edited:

F4tal

Noob
Everytime I try to toggle spoiler the match up numbers never pop up. I personally struggle against Deathstroke, Sinestro, and sometimes Cyborg.

TheSpore

Everytime I try to toggle spoiler the match up numbers never pop up. I personally struggle against Deathstroke, Sinestro, and sometimes Cyborg.
You have good reason to have issus there heavy zoners can give HG many problems. Sinestro I suggest gettingan alt that can deal with him easier, Vs DS when he uses guns to keep you away you have to be patient with him and block and dash you can get within a good punishing range as long as you play the patience game. Cyborg can't say much don' have enough experience with him back when I mained HG
I feel like the Hawkgirl vs. Deathstroke MU is 6-4 in Deathstroke's favor.
You are likely correct, but the MU is manageable...

cashthesehands

monster masher
Anyone have any tips v deathstroke or sinestro on ferris aircraft/other stages with endless corner interactables? Generally once I've backed a heavy zoner in the corner it's open season, but when there are interactables that knock me fullscreen, there's no winning.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Just try jumping them or counter stage for stages like Atlantis (against Ds)

I have been working on some stuff against Deathstroke in training mode in regards to his Sword Flip.

Case in point - the Sword Flip owns Hawkgirl for free. He can abuse it on wake-up as she has no way to counter it. It is a great reversal, has great priority, damage, can take her out of the air, controls a good amount of space and damaging. There are few ways to deal with it though. First off is wake-up....

Wake-UpWith the exception of her 2, 2, U + 3 and her 3, 2, B + 1 combo strings, Deathstroke will always be in range to hit you with a Wake-Up Sword Flip but there are ways to evade as many of the hits as possible and punish it accordingly.

-After a close knockdown, back dash once and block. The Sword Flip will connect but only hit of chip damage. If you try to back dash twice the Sword Flip WILL HIT YOU! Upon blocking you have a few options...
* B + 2, 3, B +2, Mace Charge/MB Mace Charge
*F + 1, 1, Mace Charge/ MB Mace Charge
*F + 1, 2, Mace Charge/MB Mace Charge
*D + 3 (probably her longest reaching punisher)
*Dash-up, Throw (risky, since it has to be very quick, if too late he can easily throw escape)

-After a throw you can back dash twice completely to safety, taking no hits.

-After a Mace Charge knockdown you can either back dash or Wing Evade completely to safety, taking no hits. It is possible to Wing Evade, 3 and hit Deathstroke out of Sword Flip. However, this requires very precise timing. It cannot be too early or two late. The Wing Evade itself has to be done late-ish and 3 must be pressed instantly.

Reversal
Within particular strings, you can interrupt and actually STUFF a Reversal Sword Flip believe it or not. In all of these cases you can see Deathstroke is very vulnerable in the first frame or two right as he begins to leave the ground and his sword isn't out yet.

-1,2,3 (safe on block by itself but can be extended to stuff a Reversal Sword Flip)
*1,2,3, trait, REVERSAL, D+3 (careful on this as you may accidentally get trait 3, which instead will trade hits.)
*1,2,3, trait, REVERSAL, 2, 3 (on the plus if he attempts a Sword Flip on wake-up from this you will be completely safe, plus now you are in the air to begin Mace Toss pressure)
*1,2,3, trait, REVERSAL, 2, Mace Charge/MB Mace Charge (her most damaging option)

-B + 1, 3 is not safe at all on block. He will Sword Flip right through the second input, and B + 1 isn't even safe on its own. You must cancel it to remain safe.
*B + 1, trait, REVERSAL, D + 3
*B + 1, Wing Evade, REVERSAL, WE 3 (Upon execution Deathstroke will wake-up next to you. Assuming he does a Wake-Up Sword Flip, you can instantly trait, D + 3 and you will come down right as he Sword Flips over you. Thus, you will switch sides and not get hit. Requires quick timing.)
*Reversal, Mace Charge/MB Mace Charge

-Her sweep is not safe to Reversal Sword Flip at all! Therefore, don't use it by itself or as part of the B + 2, 2, B + 3 combo. Instead, stop at 2 and cancel the second hit...
*B + 2, 2, trait, REVERSAL, D+ 3
*B + 2, 2, Wing Evade, REVERSAL, WE 2, 3, 2, Mace Charge/MB Mace Charge (her most damaging option)
*B + 2, 2, Wing Evade , REVERSAL, WE 3 (Upon execution, assuming he goes for a Wake-Up Sword Flip - automatically do a Mace Charge as soon as you land & recover. You will miss but he will too as he Sword Flips over you, switching side and you have a few frames advantage to hit him as he recovers with either a Mace Charge/MB Mace Charge or Super. )

- F + 1, 1/2 (Both are essentially the same combo but anyways the second hit to each combo will stuff a Reversal Sword Flip and you can cancel to Mace Charge/MB Mace Charge)

-3, 2, B + 1 (you can go through with this whole combo blocked and attempt a Mace Charge which will hit him clean or go right through him with both of you missing. Otherwise see options below.)
*3, 2, trait, REVERSAL, D + 3
*3, 2, trait, REVERSAL, 2, 3 (on the plus if he attempts a Sword Flip on wake-up from this you will be completely safe, plus now you are in the air to begin Mace Toss pressure)
*3, 2, trait, REVERSAL, 2, Mace Charge/MB Mace Charge (her most damaging option)
(all of these involving her trait require a slower timing than her other ones, since the 3, 2 string recovers faster than the others)
*3, 2, REVERSAL, F + 3 MB/ B + 3 MB, 3, 2, Mace Charge/MB Mace Charge (Better off with the F + 3 MB as it comes out faster. B + 3 MB risks taking one hit of miniscule damage or completely missing Deathstroke as he flips over you.)

I do hope these help. Comment on them lemme know, admittingly I still feel very new to this game though I've been playing since a month after launch and she is one of my mains.