What's new

Match-up Discussion Hawkgirl Matchup Discussion

Espio

Kokomo
What are people doing against Green Lantern?
I hate that match-up, but it's not getting much mention on her list of bad match-ups, so maybe I'm missing something?
Maybe I'm too scared of it, but Lantern's Might seems to shut down everything. (With a dash of air Turbine Smash if I try to throw air maces.)

Well straight maces blow up turbines and you just honestly have to be patient, bait lifts and don't hover over him unless you set up a situation that will allow you to mess with his wake ups.

I usually just play reactionary and from time to time go in , this is a match where you're not going to be in flight much other than for baiting , but it's not too bad.

It's probably 4-6 his favor.

Speh

Noob
What are people doing against Green Lantern?
I hate that match-up, but it's not getting much mention on her list of bad match-ups, so maybe I'm missing something?
Maybe I'm too scared of it, but Lantern's Might seems to shut down everything. (With a dash of air Turbine Smash if I try to throw air maces.)
As much as I hate doing it, playing a zoning game against him has worked the best for me. He can just spam lantern's might to shut down Hawkgirl's rushdown. I always just try to keep a life lead with zoning and just stay out of lantern's might range as much as I can. If you're in the air a lot, they might start going for air turbines. If you know they're going to use that, you can bait it out and do a d2 combo when he's floating above your head then back off again. Horizontal air maces beats any sort of air shenanigans they want to try as well. Try not to be too predictable with your air mace tosses because they can dash up and lantern's might you if you throw a badly whiffed one. If they get close, abuse d1 to stuff his moves and just get out of there when you see the opportunity. Green Lantern is probably the character I have the most timeouts against. I hate it, my opponents hate it, but this tactic been working for me :(

I've decided that the best thing to do is say "fuck lanterns might" and mc from mid range. Yes, you're gonna get pounded for 36%+ damage when you get hit, and he can set up some nice wakeup stuff.

But other than that and his b1, I don't really fear him. I used to a lot but I've kind of calmed down on it. It's probably still 6-4 GL, but it's not a hard 6-4.

His wakeup shenanigans become easier to deal with when you get the timing down for waking up with your attacks. Most GLs are gonna either do quick overhead or b1 as oki. Well, mc rapes either of those options.

3~WE tech kills lanterns might on wakeup. But cs the stupid chaingun, you need to let the 3 go to 2-hits. I think it's the same vs turbine smash.

And air straight MT beats turbine smash. Just don't do it all the time, or else he'll simply dash and lanterns might you.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
With GL basically either stay really far from his might's range, or all up in his grill so you can fuck him up if he tries that. Mid range is where hawkgirl get shat on in this MU and he'll just might everything with no risk.
If you're flying dont toss maces unless you're sure they'll connect coz unless you're like legit fullscreen away he can 1) lantern might 2) dash latern might or 3) turbine then lantern might and it'll snatch you, sometimes out of your MB mace followup.

You can WE out the b1 followups. this is huge as thats one of GL's main tools, but with HG you can WE2 in the gap and fuck him up for it.

Its not a good MU but with HG there's so many stupidly hard MUs that "kinda" hard MUs are considered a good thing >___>

Random tibdit, i think i finally found a use to WE1, against faggy batman players that always love to doublejump then divekick. you wait and then d2 if they normal jump, if they double jump WE1 will smack him out of that bs. And its a hard knockdown too for whatever reason (yeah nice job NRS, coz we'll always have a chance to land this amazing move..) so you can set up some stuff after it.

Espio

Kokomo
I'm starting to think Hawkgirl goes 5-5 with Martian Manhunter. It seems like Martian Manhunter players are finding the match up to be quite challenging as well (now before we consider this a matter of lack of match up experience I will explain more).

Hawkgirl seems to beat him up close for a variety of reasons:

1. Hawkgirl can full combo punish 1,1,2 one of his strings for frame advantage and an overhead mix up with wing evade 2 into full combo.

2. She easily blows up 2, 2, back 3 on reaction for full combo with her 6 frame jab or down 1.

3. All of Martian Manhunter's strings and specials that lead to big damage are easily punishable either due to being quite negative or having large gaps. He's generally a less safe character than her, while all of her launchers are safe as are her mix ups and specials so she can be more liberal up close than he can be overall.

His down 1 can compete with Hawkgirl's though and while their normals are relatively similar speed, her strings don't have as many faults as J'onn's and she doesn't have to worry about her launchers being unsafe.

Something else to note is that while orb set ups can stuff mace charge wake ups, you can at times trade with mace charge and it's a suitable trade.

He can zone and limit flight with teleport and MB pillars, but we're all familar with a match up this sounds similar to where flight is cut off, Doomsday that most consider to be 5-5. Now mind you Doomsday and Martian Manhunter are different characters of course, but my point is a solid ground based footsie game and patient Hawkgirl play and pressure can hang with him.

I've been playing it a lot lately from both sides and it's a chaotic match up, but it's also a lot of fun and feels different from most match ups in the game, I love match ups with Hawkgirl where she can't rely on trait, but can still hold her own really well.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
6-4 in Batman's favor, because he can outzone her.

j2 is the least of HG's worries actually, grapple, batarangs, bats are what makes the matchup a pain. It's tough getting on him and once you're in his cqc is even better, but not as annoying.

Batman has so many tools to bring you down fullscreen and half-screen and can cover both air and ground at the same time using j4 and grapple, and if it's successful he can confirm into mb grapple into a long combo that will end into b23 4 and we all know we don't want that.

His parry isn't anything you should worry about either, you can beat it with your usual pressure (we2/3).

Hawkgirl's one of the few characters that has a little surprise against every batman mainers' favorite string: She can reversal mace charge the second hit of b23 (right before the explosion) and punish Batman if he tries to use 4 right after it. Makes the matchup a whole goddamn lot easier once you're used to do that.

Once he has bats out, either you wait patiently and risk getting pressured or do it like me and go for a sweep or a throw. He'll block standing more than 3/4 of the match so you have more chances hitting him with sweep or throw and getting rid of his trait.

Being above him is dangerous because of his anti air batarang/grapple, which can give him a full combo, which is bad for us.

Pressuring him is a good thing, he doesn't have much to get out of HG's pressure, make sure to read the jumps and d2 on reaction.
Coming from the Batman side of this match-up, I'd say that she is better than him up-close. Not against the whole cast, but against one another. A lot of her shit out-ranges his, for one thing. Bat management can mitigate this, but she can blow up one of his strings in B23. We have no answer to mace charge outside of neutral jumping or MB B3. Parry can't catch it, we can't parry it. Best we can do is batarang it, block, or the other two. More Hawk Girls should abuse this move.

Batman's best strategy is to zone her out of the air. In fact, I'd wager much of our mechanical Bats use will be devoted to this.

I need to explore the match-up more with Espio, but I think Hawk Girl has the advantage. Her mobility is WAY better than what Bats can offer.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
I agree with the gl number on a slight adv. 4-6 gl. Hg not going to be flying certain ranges. Almost a 5-5. It seems real close to 5-5 imo

kaseyk

Noob
I dont get all the sinestro and ds fear . i recommend learning how to play as the character you struggle against best way to learn their faults .
On a side note my 2 favorite mu are batman and ww which im possitive even at a high skill level almost to fun .

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I dont get all the sinestro and ds fear . i recommend learning how to play as the character you struggle against best way to learn their faults .
On a side note my 2 favorite mu are batman and ww which im possitive even at a high skill level almost to fun .
Lol Ds & Sinestro are horrible. I know both characters but there's absouletely no way both match up to be better than 3-7 simply we can't do anything. They have good zoning vs Hawkgirl & take us down of the air in 1 second.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
DS and Sinestro absolutely shut down hawkgirl. DS can shoot her out of her wing evade and mace charge...easily. Her mobility is what wins matches...take that away...and yeah, it's over.

kaseyk

Noob
I very rarely fly . dash duck respect there moves . Sin rock is very easy for me to read that and his b13 are all he has and keep the pressure . sin rock if u see it as u start a jump u can either mc or mt mb to avoid . spacing maybe most important in the sin mu advantage to hg jump distance easy way to know u have it. right is your we3 wins over b1 instead of trades . if his traits does get up just get super agressive and try and make him waste it mid screen for minimal dmg. if you push sin to the corner hes done .

Ds is much easier because hes much easier to block and punish . Ive litterally played this mu 1000 times . if u both jump full screen d3 immediatly and u may bait a high air gun with time to get to him before he lands . Up close we win and sword flip is nothin. but a free combo for us . a ground shot from anywhere but full screen eats air mt mb . do not bother with crossover and respect his wakeup .

Both require solid blocking and are mainly them trying to keep us out which in most cases they cant

kaseyk

Noob
Another note on ds i never start with mc and only use we3 to push through block for side switch pressure which in this mu is almost. never .

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
What? Ground mace toss & mace charge are going to get blown up by meteor.a good Sinestro is not just going to throw random trait projectiles... His zoning is very very good. Also if our only option is to dash & duck that is a very bad match up. That's literaly our only option & it will get blown up sometimes since he can delay the MB of his projectiles, so we must read if we can dash or if he will MB it, he can build his trait very very easy on this match up, his trait is the hell for Hawkgirl. No way

For Deathstroke that jump & dive kick is a pretty bad idea... I play this match up more than any other match up. It's a horrible match up for Hawkgirl. Of course i've played it with great Deathstroke players. You can also go & ask to the Deathstroke community

kaseyk

Noob
No never ground mt i meant if u do jump and see rock start up mc or air mt mb for avoiding rock .

And the dive kick grounds u fast so at worst dont get pushed back .

everyone plays different so theres no end all master strat in pvp just our opinions .

i say duck is because neither is overhead heavy that u cant read

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
No never ground mt i meant if u do jump and see rock start up mc or air mt mb for avoiding rock .

And the dive kick grounds u fast so at worst dont get pushed back .

everyone plays different so theres no end all master strat in pvp just our opinions .

i say duck is because neither is overhead heavy that u cant read
It's still a bad idea since rock is the thing that makes us fear to jump/fly/use any air move. Rock blows up air mace toss & air mace charge.

Yes, that's why we are here lol. But everyone agrees that bpth are her wprst match ups. But your points are kinda weird, jump & air mace charge to avoid rock :confused:

At the end of the day everyone gives their own opinion tho :) <3

kaseyk

Noob
Misunderstood my meaning and usage .

What im trying to say is if u already jumped then see the rock start animation u can mc or mt mb to avoid dmg and pushback .

if you already jumped and see ds jump at distance d3 to ground yourself simpley as an avoiding tool against air gun this also works agaist cyborg .

sorry for my cluttered hard to read posts im a forum noob

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Misunderstood my meaning and usage .

What im trying to say is if u already jumped then see the rock start animation u can mc or mt mb to avoid dmg and pushback .

if you already jumped and see ds jump at distance d3 to ground yourself simpley as an avoiding tool against air gun this also works agaist cyborg .

sorry for my cluttered hard to read posts im a forum noob
It's ok.. But also if you are a,ready in air the rock will hit both options

D

Deleted member 9158

Yeah for how bad some of our MUs are we have ones like Grundy, KF and NW to make up for it xD
I main Grundy and I just can't get in on Hawkgirl ever, especially if they know what they're doing.

Makes me a sad zombie

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
I main Grundy and I just can't get in on Hawkgirl ever, especially if they know what they're doing.

Makes me a sad zombie
haha believe me i know, only chance it seems is hall of justice with those stupid tanks.
there are 2 other really good players in my scene and one of them is a grundy main. Its been me and him in the finals of a few of our tourneys and its just pretty sad how much harder he has to work just to get a win.
Then again the other good player is a deathstroke so i get to taste my own medicine -,- its either 7-3 my way or 7-3 their way lol.

D

Deleted member 9158

haha believe me i know, only chance it seems is hall of justice with those stupid tanks.
there are 2 other really good players in my scene and one of them is a grundy main. Its been me and him in the finals of a few of our tourneys and its just pretty sad how much harder he has to work just to get a win.
Then again the other good player is a deathstroke so i get to taste my own medicine -,- its either 7-3 my way or 7-3 their way lol.

Yeah it's MU's like Hawkgirl that made me pick up batman to at least stand a chance

kaseyk

Noob
air mc does avoid sin rock if done before his hand starts to go down and if spaced properly after mc you CAN from full height on cell block hover down and 2d3 punish .
air mt mb to avoid rock mace must be thrown before he starts rock animation and quickly mb to avoid .
also if your ducking and rock is coming down WE it actually isnt that hard to time .
non mb fearblast if timed right u can mc and will loop over and punish unreliable though so i choose block or jump mt .
take these to labs set sin to stand block and wakeup try these out .
and by super aggressive i didnt mean super dumb :p no character has an easy time against sin trait because its fantastic !
one day i may change your guys view on the dreaded sin/ds :)

kaseyk

Noob
another cool trick i use in alot of mu's especially zoners is 32b1 or 22u3 immediatly followed by a mt mb closes distance and stuffs most quick wakeups mess with that in labs to its fun once u time it out right .
this beats sin fearblast and ds guns high or low .