What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
His trait could use some adjustments but agreed
I think the only real adjustments it actually needs are the ability to start up projectile invulnerability and maybe have it last a couple seconds longer.

I'd really love to cancel out of leaps and jumps but it could very well make him way too strong.

I think the only real adjustments it actually needs are the ability to start up projectile invulnerability and maybe have it last a couple seconds longer.

I'd really love to cancel out of leaps and jumps but it could very well make him way too strong.
I would like for the start up to be faster as well , but I would also like the grab to get more range lol

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I would like for the start up to be faster as well , but I would also like the grab to get more range lol
Yeah that's the big thing I've noticed. Against characters that out reach us like Superman, we don't need faster startup. But against characters like Deadshot, and Harley there's just no getting it out. Comboing into it is worthless, once they're in front of you who fucking cares.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
Grodd only needs his cancels to be human possible without a hit box and done he is strong

id still prefer another overhead with a decent hitbox (i propose that 22 grab should be overhead considering its an 800 lb gorilla jumping at you) and mid air float activation would be groddamn nice. This is just quality of life stuff though. His problem right now is that unles grodd is in the air there is no reason to block high. At 20 something frames and probably the stumpiest f3 in the game (shorter than his grab range) there is almost no reason to use it because pretty much everyone blocks it and looks out for it.

I feel like these changes plus buffing ex stampede to 200 damage would make him strong and fully functional without being too busted. I also want to be able to charge his character power to make it come back faster but that's just me.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
id still prefer another overhead with a decent hitbox (i propose that 22 grab should be overhead considering its an 800 lb gorilla jumping at you) and mid air float activation would be groddamn nice. This is just quality of life stuff though. His problem right now is that unles grodd is in the air there is no reason to block high. At 20 something frames and probably the stumpiest f3 in the game (shorter than his grab range) there is almost no reason to use it because pretty much everyone blocks it and looks out for it.

I feel like these changes plus buffing ex stampede to 200 damage would make him strong and fully functional without being too busted. I also want to be able to charge his character power to make it come back faster but that's just me.
I just wanted to touch on what you're saying here.

I really feel like the intention of his design was a rush down, non stop gorilla mauling for big damage. I dont understand why F3 is so damn slow...The mix up between it and B1 makes no sense. Why even have a low starter? Everyone is just gong to block low and react to the F3. Ontop of that, B11+3 is completely unsafe! My only thought is that they wanted to give Grodd a quasi vortex that casual players could quickly learn to avoid. They didnt want it to be too strong so they made it slow, and avoidable with very little time spent in the lab. I feel like if this game had come out 4 years ago vanilla Grodd would have had a spectacular vortex game that everyone bitched about until it was patched to it's current state. They just skipped the bitching...

I honestly think the range of F3 should stay as is, but the move should be sped up to 23 frames and B1 sped up to 18 frames. J2 should be tweaked so no one can back dash the B1 starter(which again, is unsafe and not hit confirmable into combo), but you should be able to back dash F3. This makes the vortex escapable, and even possibly reactable for higher level players. To make it more fair, F3/B1 combos would need to scale a bit more. Curently you can hit over 450-500+ with 1 bar back into another setup, which wouldnt be fair.

With these changes you actually get rewarded for opening someone up which is actually pretty hard to do against really good players. I feel like they are fair changes, but what do I know...I'm just an online warrior that plays a lot of Grodd. I'm sure someone will shit all over my ideas. haha.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Good luck opening anyone up against really good players that actually know the match up lol a majority of the game is me just checking them with a d1 which I do like and have no problem with not having straight up 50/50s but it all just boils down to what name said above
Agreed...so much D1. I mean, you cant jump in, you cant use B2~leap, 22 is unsafe. With trait on you can seriously go in and do B2 a lot since B2~float keeps you safe(ish)on block while also comboing on hit. To me, that's truly the point of his trait.

Agreed...so much D1. I mean, you cant jump in, you cant use B2~leap, 22 is unsafe. With trait on you can seriously go in and do B2 a lot since B2~float keeps you safe(ish)on block while also comboing on hit. To me, that's truly the point of his trait.
Tele push keeps you safe as well but if it hits they fly full screen so fucks the point

Skedar70

Noob
Well if stampede was actually human cancellable we could also go for 2 SC or 22 SC after the vortex into grabs, d1 checks, etc.

So what is the issue? that back dash escapes the vortex? Doesn't moving forward and 22 or B2 or stampede or df3 capture back dashes? I mean the opponent still has to make a read on your follow up and if we have trait we can make it safe and also go for the low which is plus. I feel like Grodd still has many options and is left with an advantage

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Well if stampede was actually human cancellable we could also go for 2 SC or 22 SC after the vortex into grabs, d1 checks, etc.

So what is the issue? that back dash escapes the vortex? Doesn't moving forward and 22 or B2 or stampede or df3 capture back dashes? I mean the opponent still has to make a read on your follow up and if we have trait we can make it safe and also go for the low which is plus. I feel like Grodd still has many options and is left with an advantage
I dont have an issue with them getting out of the "vortex", my issue is that without trait you have to take a risk in order to simply attack your opponent with anything other than D1.

I'd be happy with 1 of 2 changes.

1. Fix 22 by removing the gap and making 223 -6 on block.
2. Make the Stampede Cancel easier by hitting :d instead of :l:l or :r:r. Or make the cancel window somehow a bit larger, or maybe a buffer...Like you said, make it humanly possible.

I dont understand how I could do A-List cancels consistently but not this. It's like the same fucking input.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
The funny thing is that grodd is actually a very good character but he's locked behind mid trait combos and stampede cancels and both are incredibly hard to get down consistently.

I mean the mid trait combo where you restand with b2, not where you have to spend two bars and do d2 again into mb db2

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
The funny thing is that grodd is actually a very good character but he's locked behind mid trait combos and stampede cancels and both are incredibly hard to get down consistently.

I mean the mid trait combo where you restand with b2, not where you have to spend two bars and do d2 again into mb db2
Right. Why is float a :d:d input when :d:l3 or :d:r3 arent being used?

Skedar70

Noob
I dont have an issue with them getting out of the "vortex", my issue is that without trait you have to take a risk in order to simply attack your opponent with anything other than D1.

I'd be happy with 1 of 2 changes.

1. Fix 22 by removing the gap and making 223 -6 on block.
2. Make the Stampede Cancel easier by hitting :d instead of :l:l or :r:r. Or make the cancel window somehow a bit larger, or maybe a buffer...Like you said, make it humanly possible.

I dont understand how I could do A-List cancels consistently but not this. It's like the same fucking input.
I think its only fair that we have to take the risk. I mean you could basically reset the opponent and take their whole life in 2 or 3 combos and there is some sort of situational safety if you have the trait up.

I'm definitely strongly favorable for making stampede cancels easier I mean the AI does it as Bnb so I guess they planed for him to work this way.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I think its only fair that we have to take the risk. I mean you could basically reset the opponent and take their whole life in 2 or 3 combos and there is some sort of situational safety if you have the trait up.

I'm definitely strongly favorable for making stampede cancels easier I mean the AI does it as Bnb so I guess they planed for him to work this way.
It's not a reset and that's the problem with 22 being unsafe. We have 0 hit confirmable, safe strings without trait on and I'm not even certain how safe B2~Float Confirm is right now. Does any other character in this game have that issue?

honestly if 2,2 was faster and came out faster after the ground pound cancel, or 2,2, grab (Overhead) we'd be alright. Cause 2,2 ground pound or 2,2 Overhead grab would be the mix with Crazy pressure.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
Literally the only two buffs he needs are:

Make trait startup 5 frames faster (to get those tricky combos down)

And make stampede cancels easier to do..

Boom he just became more than viable
If these were the only buffs he got i'd be okay with it. I wouldn't be ecstatic but this would improve grodd a whole lot.