What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
Hey y'all.

I am completely new to Grodd.
Still not sure that I wanna play him or not. Honestly he just looks super cool.
I was just kinda wondering what his "general strategy" is?
Rushdown? Mixups?

I haven't even gotten to lab him yet, so apologies for any stupid questions...

Hey y'all.

I am completely new to Grodd.
Still not sure that I wanna play him or not. Honestly he just looks super cool.
I was just kinda wondering what his "general strategy" is?
Rushdown? Mixups?

I haven't even gotten to lab him yet, so apologies for any stupid questions...
Not a mix up heavy character. The 1 mix up he has is in his reset which if your opponent has a good enough back dash they can just avoid it. Game plan is to rush down problem is the tool he has that helps him excel at rush down is extremely hard to do( stampede cancels) and takes hours of practice to get down if you are not on a hitbox. Rush down is the game plan but opening ppl up is not easy cause he has no natural mix up game, use his grab alot cause the range on it is really nice and when you do open them up for a punish or just naturally make it count with insane damage and a restand to get rid of wake ups. If you dont get the handle of his SC you can always use his tele push to make your strings safe.

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
Not a mix up heavy character. The 1 mix up he has is in his reset which if your opponent has a good enough back dash they can just avoid it. Game plan is to rush down problem is the tool he has that helps him excel at rush down is extremely hard to do( stampede cancels) and takes hours of practice to get down if you are not on a hitbox. Rush down is the game plan but opening ppl up is not easy cause he has no natural mix up game, use his grab alot cause the range on it is really nice and when you do open them up for a punish or just naturally make it count with insane damage and a restand to get rid of wake ups. If you dont get the handle of his SC you can always use his tele push to make your strings safe.
Very nice, I am on hitbox, so maybe the cancels wont be too bad. I was hoping he would be rushdown (I was looking for someone to compliment Blue Beetle's zoning with aggressive rush down. Looks like that's what I got :)

Thanks again for the help

BassCase

Noob
I'm looking into getting a hitbox. His SC is just too ridiculous to do on pad. I'm having a hard time finding them however. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
I'm looking into getting a hitbox. His SC is just too ridiculous to do on pad. I'm having a hard time finding them however. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
They are on back order till mid July, but I found a website that sells kits so you can build your own and have a multi platform pcb (able to play on all consoles and PC) I'll link it if you like.

I just started playing Grodd today. Been a hitbox player for about a year and a half. The cancel isn't too bad to do off of the 112 string if you are trying to combo into his d2.. I'm still working on the timing on block (pressure).

Maybe they will increase the buffer window for the cancel soon and you won't have to drop 200+ bucks on a Hitbox

I haven't really touched grodd either, but have been extremely interested in him - his playstyle looks hype and satisfying. All I really have to go off is coach steve's displays on RHS, and some stuff here on tym, as he is pretty underrepresented in my area.

Are there any experts here that can tell me honestly if he's worth having a look into currently? I understand his main source of pressure is the SC, which is really hard to do. I use the standard ps4 controller and probably won't be getting a hitbox though..

I haven't really touched grodd either, but have been extremely interested in him - his playstyle looks hype and satisfying. All I really have to go off is coach steve's displays on RHS, and some stuff here on tym, as he is pretty underrepresented in my area.

Are there any experts here that can tell me honestly if he's worth having a look into currently? I understand his main source of pressure is the SC, which is really hard to do. I use the standard ps4 controller and probably won't be getting a hitbox though..
I would give hitbox tyrant a watch he is really good (on hitbox) the character is really fun but there are characters who can do more with a way easier time (black adam)

I find when traited up im using telekinetic push a ton in the neutral game outside my reach.

Basically like a long range poke. I find little consequence to it and it builds nice meter. I honestly haven't examined how bad it is to whiff because I've never been whiff punished for it. Horizontal hitbox isn't particularly amazing, but better than his strings. And it's vertical hitbox seems very good at catching jumps.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
As far as I know there is absolutely zero use for his ground pound after float. Absolutely useless as far as I'm concerned.
float ex ground pound is a low launcher. probably useable as a reset setup. I wonder if you can do ground pound during air dash like you can with the pulse.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
Ok so something I noticed when watching Tyrant play grodd: the sc cancels inputs sound like gorrilla grodds trample sound effects. When the move starts off he lifts one of his hands and pushes off with the two feet and one hand creating the first uhh "padumpum" sound, then his arms land to catch himself a half a beat later with "pumpum". I dont know music but it seems like someone could put this on a music bars thing with the meter noted and be alot more specific with this timing but yeah hearing this pattern in my head has helped me so far. "padumpum"1/2 beat"pumpum".

I was really having a hard time determining how long to wait before inputting the ff for the cancel but once i started hearing tyrant essentially stampede cancelling between bullets its started to click. I have since been able to get b2 sc and d2 sc 112 stampede pretty consistent in training. for some reason the cancel after 112 is really tough to convert after, especially if its the second sc in a combo. B2 sc is supposed to be like +20 on block(b2 blocked but no contact on the sc) and it puts you right in front of the enemy so its pretty nice for setups, in fact i think this is what coach steve uses to setup f3. To me b2 and d2 are the easiest cancels to practice so far.

I hope this helps.

Skedar70

Noob
Did you guys see Steve with that float blast ender into the primal leap grab reset? I haven't played much Grodd lately, but that was sick, although a little situational (must have trait active) and it requires a bar of meter.
I payed attention to that setup also. Trait is a good thing when you don't have meter because it allows you to combo so it might not be that situational.

Tweedy

Noob
I don't think Grodd needs buffs. He does need an execution god tho, and seeing how Grodd probably isn't a top tier or anything close, is it really worth that execution god's time?

If anything i'd like to see stampede cancels made easier among other things.

MadMagician86

This One is unimpressed
My wishlist for Grodd.

-Unreactable mix
-Faster start up on projectile immunity

Instant top tier with these changes.

Skedar70

Noob
My wishlist for Grodd.

-Unreactable mix
-Faster start up on projectile immunity

Instant top tier with these changes.
The thing with the projectile immunity is that once you activate trait when dodging zoning the opponent has to look up for many things that may allow you to activate the immunity. He has to be careful because you can leap on them when they are expecting you to activate the immunity so they can't just spam projectiles and this might give you a chance to activate it. Will he activate the immunity or will he leap, will he roll in on me etc? Once trait goes up it becomes guessing game.

Also I'm not sure if this is known but you can cancel the trait activation directly into the projectile immunity which makes it a little fast. 4~DD3

BassCase

Noob
I'm finding more ways to incorporate his trait into his play style.
1) His psionic blast leads to huge meterless damage when starting or continuing a combo from it. B2 works well in conjunction with blast.

2) B2,1+3 is a good damage combo ender for side switching.

3) I've even tried going for a knockdown in the corner followed by float into ground pound. Opponents with lackluster wake up attacks are susceptible to Grodd sneaking it in there maybe once during a match for +7 on block or +10 on hit I believe.

4) Projectile immunity is obviously a big help against efficient zoners , and he has ways to activate it if he sacrifices a little damage. With his high damage output it might be worth it if he's struggling with zoning during the match.

5) Lastly, if your opponent has minimal or no long range game , telekinetic push and float into back dash or cancel builds good meter when at a distance from the opponent.

Grodd is by far my favorite character in this game. I'm sure the things I've stated above could get blown up by highly skilled players, but I'm still figuring him out and trying to share my experiences.

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
I'm finding more ways to incorporate his trait into his play style.
1) His psionic blast leads to huge meterless damage when starting or continuing a combo from it. B2 works well in conjunction with blast.

2) B2,1+3 is a good damage combo ender for side switching.

3) I've even tried going for a knockdown in the corner followed by float into ground pound. Opponents with lackluster wake up attacks are susceptible to Grodd sneaking it in there maybe once during a match for +7 on block or +10 on hit I believe.

4) Projectile immunity is obviously a big help against efficient zoners , and he has ways to activate it if he sacrifices a little damage. With his high damage output it might be worth it if he's struggling with zoning during the match.

5) Lastly, if your opponent has minimal or no long range game , telekinetic push and float into back dash or cancel builds good meter when at a distance from the opponent.

Grodd is by far my favorite character in this game. I'm sure the things I've stated above could get blown up by highly skilled players, but I'm still figuring him out and trying to share my experiences.
Does anybody know if float makes high hitting wakeups miss? Example: Blue Beetles shield bash?

BassCase

Noob
I faced Deadshot today and was able to float over his high hitting wrist shots.

On another note I just started getting stampede cancels 1/10 times. Progress. Maybe I will get that hitbox after all.