What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

Skedar70

Noob
Is it just me or was this buff great in practice.
  • Gorilla Grodd - Slightly increased initial step forward and step backward speed
It makes it to much easier to walk back and trip guard people, bait and whiff punish, walk in through zoning. It feels great

Wigy

There it is...
On scarecrow
SC is a 5/5. I have no idea what you mean by "Oki off grab is limited after grab" Grodd has a throw loop.

In the neutral you can go for Stampede cancel in order to build meter. If SC jumps at you you can meter burn him and catch him mid air. if he uses f2 you can mb b3 and combo him.

What is your issue with b3? block it and move back.

j3 oki is a bitch you are right but every character suffers from this when facing sc its not like only Grodd has to guess and hold sc j3.
The b3 issue is that it shuts you down completely and you have no options vs it in the neutral.

F2 beats grodds neutral and catches sc's

He can d1 combo you so sc pressure is risky.

I guess we have different ideas about the strength of different tools for this mu. Oh well.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
On scarecrow

The b3 issue is that it shuts you down completely and you have no options vs it in the neutral.
Why don't you just MB B3 it? Crow moves forward with his B3 and Grodd's has some range so it would work unless you are really on the edge of Crow's B3 hitbox. Not even sure if it's possible for Grodd to armor through and whiff his MB B3 in that situation. Grodd gains a lot more for landing one B3 then Crow does too. And if you are a savage you can Flash Parry it.

I will say I really don't have much experience actually dealing with Crow's B3 as Grodd but that's what the lab tells me. Just blow that shit up with your own armor.

Marinjuana

Is it just me or was this buff great in practice.
  • Gorilla Grodd - Slightly increased initial step forward and step backward speed
It makes it to much easier to walk back and trip guard people, bait and whiff punish, walk in through zoning. It feels great
Yea I love that buff, makes it easier to him to do setups and move in the right spot for leaps and pokes and anything else you could think of. Like a big ass Gorilla walking around as it should be, feels good.

Wigy

There it is...
Why don't you just MB B3 it? Crow moves forward with his B3 and Grodd's has some range so it would work unless you are really on the edge of Crow's B3 hitbox. Not even sure if it's possible for Grodd to armor through and whiff his MB B3 in that situation. Grodd gains a lot more for landing one B3 then Crow does too. And if you are a savage you can Flash Parry it.

I will say I really don't have much experience actually dealing with Crow's B3 as Grodd but that's what the lab tells me. Just blow that shit up with your own armor.
I don't mean when he does it in your face.

If he's even vaguely away from you, his hurtbox goes back and your b3 whiffs in his face.

Marinjuana

What do you guys do from F2~SC on hit? Just a D1~Stampede? Anything for traited-up F21~SC?

What about D2~SC?

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
It's hard to do on reaction, you have to be ready for it. Not like you're going to get it 100% of the time.

Grodd has some better options than most characters in dealing with it due to how his B3 works and pulls himself forwards at the end of the animation, which is what Scarecrow's also does. So basically whoever hits first loses, unless you're at that perfect range where Scarecrow's reaches slightly further than Grodd's.

It's almost impossible to do it as some characters though, it's a ridiculous B3.

Marinjuana

Its to do with timing related to the animation. If you catch his early on when he's leaning back it can whiff.

If a scarecrow is good about his spacing you have to be really spot on about your b3

It can whiff like that, but if you are reacting or to it or just making a read then that shouldn't be an issue as you just hold your B3 until his attack comes out. If he starts holding his too then we're in that extra level meta and I have no comment.

Not sure what you mean about his Crow's spacing. Seems like to me that at 95% of the ranges that you can be hit that MB B3 will work fine enough. And at that range where it gets tricky you could try to just walk back and have it whiff. Not saying it shuts down the move, but if they are being armor happy you can certainly catch them with your own MB B3.
It's hard to do on reaction, you have to be ready for it. Not like you're going to get it 100% of the time.
Never said it wasn't, but it's totally viable counter here for everyone's favorite Gorilla

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
What do you guys do from F2~SC on hit? Just a D1~Stampede? Anything for traited-up F21~SC?

What about D2~SC?
F2sc d1 b2 leap - usual stuff
If your execution is godlike you can do f2sc b2 but I think that might be a just frame.

F21sc d1 b2 leap works too but is pretty right .

From d2sc just go into a very basic b2 leap combo unless you wanna burn some meter.

Also can you mbsc flash parry through crows b3? Might be an option from that awkward range.

Btw guys if you have a turbo controller/stick and you aren't competing in offline tournaments, put your stance switch on turbo and never worry about Grodds execution again.

Skedar70

Noob
On scarecrow

F2 beats grodds neutral and catches sc's

He can d1 combo you so sc pressure is risky.

I guess we have different ideas about the strength of different tools for this mu. Oh well.
Dude honestly you need to practice more. Everytime somebody tells you your options you just respond with vague excuses. Its actually you that is losing the MU not Grodd.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
grodd Is one of those characters that benefits the most from people not knowing the mu. When the opponent knows the mu in full detail, grodd is an average character but when they don’t know it fully, he becomes a freak of nature, easily top 10.

They need to be aware of things like:

Strings to punish stampede on block

Gaps in 22 1+3 and 112

22 1+3 punish timing

Able to recognize stampede cancels on reaction and know how plus they are

Know the different vortex options and know how to react to them (ji2 restand, trait dd1, b2 sc cancel jump in, etc)

Leap punishes

Projectile immune trait (some people in the heat of the moment even though they know igrodd is immune but will still throw out one projectile which could be the death of them)

Dd1 trait shenanigans

Etc

The options to counter the interrupt are kinda ass though. Actually the only option is bounce cancel..
11 by itself is negative 7 and 11 sc is negative as fuck..

I just need that gap to be closed and he’s be complete..

The other sc plus strings just allow a d1... that’s worthless imo
I think the gap is fine, however I believe that 11 should be -2 or 3 to create some mind games with the gap. Also, it’s infuriating that ww has a plus 12 string that takes no skill to input, but with the same exact gap

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

Wigy

There it is...
I think the gap is fine, however I believe that 11 should be -2 or 3 to create some mind games with the gap. Also, it’s infuriating that ww has a plus 12 string that takes no skill to input, but with the same exact gap

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might
In fairness that doesn't launch into like a 300 damage restand

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Yo, gonna pick up the gorilla cause he looks hella fun. Played High Tech in MKX so I’m hopeful execution isn’t going to be that big an issue.

Just wanted to know a couple of things;

What’s the frame data on his stampede cancels?

What’s his vortex in trait (I’ve heard it’s to do with ending combos with dd1, 1 then going for close leap. What’s the mixup here? Left/Right?)?

Belial

Noob
Yo, gonna pick up the gorilla cause he looks hella fun. Played High Tech in MKX so I’m hopeful execution isn’t going to be that big an issue.

Just wanted to know a couple of things;

What’s the frame data on his stampede cancels?

What’s his vortex in trait (I’ve heard it’s to do with ending combos with dd1, 1 then going for close leap. What’s the mixup here? Left/Right?)?
oh how i love these guys

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
oh how i love these guys
Haha ok :). I can already get stampede cancels consistently, but would be helpful if I could get some questions answered.

I understand you feel I’ll give up or whatever but this forum is terribly disorganised and looking through 50 pages of posts for something I could just ask for seems a bit much.

Wigy

There it is...
Haha ok :). I can already get stampede cancels consistently, but would be helpful if I could get some questions answered.

I understand you feel I’ll give up or whatever but this forum is terribly disorganised and looking through 50 pages of posts for something I could just ask for seems a bit much.
End combos in b2 dd1 1 then cancel this into close leap or medium leap. THE LEAP HAS TO BE CANCELLED FROM THE DD1 1

The mix is crossup/non crossup or leap grab.

It's also possible to end in dd1 1 take a small step forward s2 close/med leap for the same thing. It's a bit easier.

Prepare to be surprised on execution. It's different than mkx stuff.