What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

Wigy

There it is...
Have folks kept the cancel button as L2. I'm tempted to switch it to l1 cause the pretty precise timing of the cancels and that the l2 and r2 are racing game triggers?

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
They changed Shinnok's b3 to f4 like one month after MKX release and after 2 years I still sometimes randomly pressed b3 when I wanted to go for his f4.

I don't think it's a good idea to start changing buttons now lol.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Yeah there's not really a good button to switch it to I think. Maybe swapping out trait isn't too bad if you're that dedicated since then you could maybe do something like 22xxBF34 as a whole string. Then just switch trait to L2 since Grodd's trait only requires the one press

Wigy

There it is...
Yeah there's not really a good button to switch it to I think. Maybe swapping out trait isn't too bad if you're that dedicated since then you could maybe do something like 22xxBF34 as a whole string. Then just switch trait to L2 since Grodd's trait only requires the one press
Yeah that sounds like a good shout. Didn't think of that

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Seems to me that the best place to put stance switch specifically for Grodd cancels on pad is your trait button aka 4. You literally can't get any closer to 3 for Stampede and trait really doesn't need to be on a face button.

Cursa

Seems to me that the best place to put stance switch specifically for Grodd cancels on pad is your trait button aka 4
It's the only face button you can put it on unless you really wanna fuck your brain up.

Other trigger/bumper buttons are personally preference really.

Wigy

There it is...
Issue with putting it to 4 is having to quickly move your thumb for the follow-up string accurately. Might be better with practice but I think switching it for r1 would be better once I adjusted.

Wigy

There it is...
Whats the advantage of the s2 vortex over the regular one? Noticed it's easier input wise and did more damage but wondering if there's more to it.

Wigy

There it is...
So how do you guys approach the scarecrow mu

His j3 is a pain in the ass on Oki.
He outranges you
B3 is hella useful for him, not really an answer for it outside bating with sc and making him waste bars.
Trait means that grodd can't pressure and pester you without taking fair amount of damage too. Grodds move animations are all so slow and cinematic you take quite a lot of ticks on hitting them.
His d1 is a good check on your d1 which is the usual strongsuit for grodd.
All grodds enders are pretty much not plus enough to do anything but armour on Oki cause of scarecrows db3

TL/DR hard to press neutral, traits a nightmare, not sure what to do scarecrow oki

Cursa

I just kinda wish they made the dash cancels (FF or BB) easier somehow rather than giving it a new button. BF3 BB is forever ingrained into my thumbs

Skedar70

Noob
Hilarious.

Very funny video.

About the MU it seem its really hard because blue beetles "cheerios" recovery is very fast so it becomes really risky to try to leap in so it leaves grodd with just walking in and mb stampede for which he doesn't build enough meter. His stance wasn't used much in this video but it is very annoying. This one might be a losing MU. I barely play enough good beetles to tell myself. Maybe some mb stampede cancels to close in the distance and stop beetle from shooting too many "cheerios" and building soo much meter would help. Goonie left a lot of damage on the table by cutting many combos short and going for sc vortex.

Last edited:

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Honestly the only thing this character needs is for them to remove the huuuuuuge gaping hole in 112.. it’s complete bullshit. Literally the only viable string to get significant plus frames off of cancels and it’s not usable..

He’d be more than fine with just that tiny adjustment

Skedar70

Noob
Honestly the only thing this character needs is for them to remove the huuuuuuge gaping hole in 112.. it’s complete bullshit. Literally the only viable string to get significant plus frames off of cancels and it’s not usable..

He’d be more than fine with just that tiny adjustment
I was testing other cancels and f2, 2, b1 and b2 are all plus. Try those. I still use 112 and 11 sc in order to bait people trying to punish the gap sometimes they try to d2 or mb b3/f3 through it to which you can counter by either blocking and punishing or doing a mb b3 of your own.

Cursa

112 has a gap but as the same with any gap there's options in defending against it. MB bounce cancel, ending strings early, and backdashing (doesn't always work, MU dependant) are all good options