What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

Belial

Noob
Lol so the vid of some pretty good grodd player mopping bunch of scrubs who are mostly using flash(good mu) is supposed to prove grodd is now top tier? Wtf, put me agains those ppl pre 1.18 and id double perfect them

Skedar70

Noob
Lol so the vid of some pretty good grodd player mopping bunch of scrubs who are mostly using flash(good mu) is supposed to prove grodd is now top tier? Wtf, put me agains those ppl pre 1.18 and id double perfect them
I never said top tier. GTFO you downplaying fraud.

Skedar70

Noob
The system mechanics seem like a direct counter to Grodd's strengths. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I don't anticipate Grodd shaking up the meta for Season 2 of IPS.
The characters that you will see in IPS are probably the characters that are picked by the top players (Sonicfox, Rewind, Semij, Dragon, Theo, Biohazard, Honeybee etc.) If any of the actual top players learned and pick him up we would actually see Grodd a lot more. There is no reason why not to pick Grodd other than player preference. The character is perfectly capable of winning.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I still don't think he's great. Sonic, Dragon, Theo, Bio, Semij and Honeybee are all likely to never pick up Grodd, half of them will play who they think is top tier and the others will likely stay with their respective characters already.

If Grodd doesn't get picked for IPS I think there's a reason for that other than player preference. He might be capable with his own tools and whatnot but when you compare him to most other characters in the game he just doesn't match up.

Cursa

For anybody who still thinks Grodd is low tier

I don't think the first video is a good representation. There's a lot of obvious lack of MU knowledge, and most of the openings the Grodd gets are off of the opponent poking out of negative frames, getting whiff punished or failing to counterpoke with the right button. Not to mention the fact that they're getting tagged by the B1/F3 "mixup",

And for the Robin match at least, how the heck is Grodd getting leaps in the neutral for free.

Skedar70

Noob
I don't think the first video is a good representation. There's a lot of obvious lack of MU knowledge, and most of the openings the Grodd gets are off of the opponent poking out of negative frames, getting whiff punished or failing to counterpoke with the right button. Not to mention the fact that they're getting tagged by the B1/F3 "mixup",

And for the Robin match at least, how the heck is Grodd getting leaps in the neutral for free.
Dink is not a bad player. I think anybody who knows the NRS scene respects him. This Grodd beat him. Grodd ("Low tier") vs Firestorm (#1 in the game). You guys can keep thinking whatever you want, but I see a good character.

Cursa

Dink is not a bad player. I think anybody who knows the NRS scene respects him. This Grodd beat him. Grodd ("Low tier") vs Firestorm (#1 in the game). You guys can keep thinking whatever you want, but I see a good character.
I don't think I saw Dink in the first video. I've yet to watch the second.

Also wouldn't say I'm downplaying with my comment on the first video, I'm just calling it as it is. I am up to Lego vs Op and I haven't seen Grodd open up anyone and set up a vortex/oki situation outside of bad counterpokes and whiff punishes.

Skedar70

Noob
whats that supposed to mean? Why would you call me fraud?
Btw is there some footage of you playing anywhere? Im pretty sure you're trash
I just find it hysterical that you consider yourself a top player. You are a nobody buddy. Let that sink in.

Cursa

Also I've watched the first Grodd match of the 2nd vid and can say it went better than the 1st but still mostly just whiff punishes and Dink counterpoking with the wrong button. There were a couple of good leap reads against Molten Trap though.

Like for example, Dink uses Firestorm's sweep when he first gets properly opened up in the first game. I don't know the frame data on his D3 but it's unsafe because Grodd punished it, as noted by the 'punish' callout.

Why even take the risk? Why even give Grodd a chance to punish you while he's in trait and you KNOW he has that D1 combo starter into vortex? Not to mention the fact that he did it after F213 (I think is the string) which is like -5 or something to begin with.

People taking risks against a character who can literally 100-0 but struggles to ever open people up is the reason that you see stuff like this. I'll leave this comment here though while I watch the rest of the video.

Belial

Noob
Maybe I didnt put that right, it really depends on who is "top player" in one's book. I think a lot of people who you consider "top player" could step up for me. Bottom line Im good at FG's and you're not, so however funny my claim looks to you, you look even funnier. If you provide footage and it shows you can play at least half-decent Id take my words about u back. But so far all i see from u is terrible judgement and insults. I could take that if you could play, but if you cant then obsiously you're just a troll or supid. Or both.

Cursa

Yeah nah personally not convinced by these videos.

Grodd's problem has never been his damage or his setups or whatever, it's been getting them started. From this video it doesn't convince me that's changed at all. Ubetterdie is a super sick Grodd and he obviously has execution and gameplan knowledge down otherwise he wouldn't be winning, but there's a lot of moments where it's just luck or bad play by the opponent.

Like at least half the openings he got were regular punishes or anti-airs. Another good chunk were people caught pressing buttons out of D1xxMind Control (Which does have a gap, I know, but, why risk it?), caught pressing buttons out of negative frames (Again, why risk), and pressing the wrong buttons in order to counter poke (Like getting hit by a B2 after blocking a D1?)

I get that all of this changes when you're in an actual match, and foresight is a wonderful tool, but the fundamental principle still applies - he struggles to open people up conventionally. Leap is a sometimes good tool dependant on the matchup but personally find myself either air-to-airing it often, or if I'm playing someone like Robin or Bane it's just a free anti-air. Learn your buttons and counterpoke correctly, learn the frames, and just block if you're ever unsure, and you'll start to see Grodd struggle.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Have you guys seen the trait dd1 1 Into standing 2 pounce vortex that forever king jr did to sonic?

It’s diiiiiiirrty.. check it out. Makes his vortex much much more consistent and stronger
Where can I witness such things?!

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
A few high level guys that would pick Grodd (if they felt he was capabale):

SonicFox
Coach Steve
Tekken Master
PnD OmegaK
Oakiess
Tyrant

If any of these guys do work during the IPS with Grodd, I'll shut up and change my mind. Player preference certainly is a factor, but Grods has his share of representation.

Cursa

A few high level guys that would pick Grodd (if they felt he was capabale):

SonicFox
Coach Steve
Tekken Master
PnD OmegaK
Oakiess
Tyrant

If any of these guys do work during the IPS with Grodd, I'll shut up and change my mind. Player preference certainly is a factor, but Grods has his share of representation.
If he was capable being the key phrase

If Sonic picks Grodd it will be because he wants to pull a surprise pick

Tekken master is a wildcard so I wouldn't be surprised but I expect him to play others

Coach Steve. Tbh hope he sticks with Atro since it's so fucking good.

Cant speak for the rest. Never expect OmegaK to drop Grodd though

Player preference makes a difference but if you pick Grodd you are playing a sub-par charcter. Even if Sonic pulls out Grodd and wins it doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of Grodd's viability, it just says how good Sonic is, or whoever wins with him

Last edited:

Belial

Noob
SonicFox - maybe
Coach Steve - playing anime games and atrocitus
Tekken Master - highly unlikely(counterpicks are his bnb and grodd is so easy to counterpick its like giving 1 game away, hes not that stupid)
PnD OmegaK - inactive
Oakiess - long switched
Tyrant - yeah but from what i can tell hes not playing inj much

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Just to clarify, these players I listed are the only one I could see using Grodd successfully in IPS S2 if:

- Grodd was supposedly good (some ppl talking about top 10) or

- They are current/past Grodd mains who travel and compete against the best players

In my opinion, NONE of the above listed players will use Grodd or have much success with him because the character simply does not play Injustice 2 well. I was refuting the argument that Grodd has/would have no representation no matter how good he is.