What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

Okay, about Grodd ''vortex''... as Gonnie's brother said, it's FAKE. You can forward dash out of it... funny thing is that this is ''know'' since the first month of the game but it looks like no one labs Grodd. lol
Looks like you don't lab and the vortex doesn't come from a leap as you'd probably think, right?

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
ijust saw him pull it off on stream i think it was either at evo or right after it. it was some kind of hkd into a stampede cancel right on top of the body into a reverse input f3. You have to cancel it while still facing the wrong way or grodd will do his turn around animation and it will be worthless.

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Im talking about float vortex as well, the reason why some people think it can be fwd dashed b/c a lot of grodd players(including oakiess) do not input it right. You have to cancel float1 into leap, not leap after float1
I just labbed it to confirm. if you're doing leap into jump 2 a lot of characters can forward dash out of it. You can do a close leap to catch it. It's a 50/50. Leap into jump 3 also it's gonna be kinda the same 50/50 but to combo out of it it's gonna be waaayyy harder.

Bruno-NeoSpace

I just labbed it to confirm. if you're doing leap into jump 2 a lot of characters can forward dash out of it. You can do a close leap to catch it. It's a 50/50. Leap into jump 3 also it's gonna be kinda the same 50/50 but to combo out of it it's gonna be waaayyy harder.
Maybe im doing something wrong. i'd like to see @Belial doing it :p

Belial

Noob
Vortex i do is
- Close leap 1+3 that beats everything, except backdash
- Once they start backdashing use mid leap 2. 2 must be pressed very late(super close to the ground) to catch backdashes consistantly

It is possible to hit forward dashes (even batman) by close leap j2. However it should be pressed very early, just as grodd jump arc passes its zenith. You can use this against batman who can fwd dash leap 1+3.

Of course it is possible for enemy to easily defend/fuzzy against close leap2 / mid leap 2 due to huge timing difference. Once you taught them to stand you can go back to 1+3. I want to emphasize that it is batman only thing, everybody else get pure 50/50 between leap1+3 and leap 2.

As for redhood i tested it long ago and you can condition him somehow to keep it 50/50. I dont remember how though. But it was before i found "early leap 2" thing so maybe its still 30/30/30 for him too and i was just thinking "at least its not batman" or something.

If you are talking about b2sc restand vortex it is sort of fake.
Options are this
- early j3 will beat anti airs, walking fwd and dashing fwd. Also sometimes you will get a combo and sometimes not(see below)
- early j2 will crossup
Both this options lose to crouching - j3 will be blocked and j2 will wiff
If they stop crouching/antiairing do
- j3 as grodd passes zenith is overhead and launcher
- j2 is crossup
If they dash fwd or walk fwd it doesnt work though.
I didnt test on big hotbox characters (i test on batman, sups and cw) so it may be different for them

Final notes on j3. Splat is very different depending on where it hits(front or back) and also are they crouching, mashing. Somehow doing j3 on standing, crouching, atacking , walking or forward dashing provide different hitstun.
For example when i tried b2sc early j3 against batman i found that i could combo on standing and walking forward easily, i could not combo at all on dashing forward and anti airing, but i could combo on crouching though with much more effort. Also against batman timings of j3 to beat fwd dash is too early so i could only combo off fwd dash and walk forward only due to j3 hitting back of the dummy.

Hope that clears things up.

To answer Gofrogs question : you do last leap 3 very early

Or we could actually discuss Grodd you know. Who am i writing these big posts for
I was trying to. I just can't stand people posting shit they have no idea about it. Not asking, stating. Making some goofy comments. Fuckin childs play adoration way of this site prevents any discussion anyway.

Last edited:

Skedar70

Noob
Okay, about Grodd ''vortex''... as Gonnie's brother said, it's FAKE. You can forward dash out of it... funny thing is that this is ''know'' since the first month of the game but it looks like no one labs Grodd. lol
i'm talking about the air burst ''vortex''. not the run cancel one.

You came here claiming that the vortex was fake and that people don't lab Grodd. Apparently you didn't lab him either.

Bruno-NeoSpace

Vortex i do is
- Once they start backdashing use mid leap 2. 2 must be pressed very late(super close to the ground) to catch backdashes consistantly

It is possible to hit forward dashes (even batman) by close leap j2. However it should be pressed very early, just as grodd jump arc passes its zenith. You can use this against batman who can fwd dash leap 1+3.

Of course it is possible for enemy to easily defend/fuzzy against close leap2 / mid leap 2 due to huge timing difference. Once you taught them to stand you can go back to 1+3. I want to emphasize that it is batman only thing, everybody else get pure 50/50 between leap1+3 and leap 2.

As for redhood i tested it long ago and you can condition him somehow to keep it 50/50. I dont remember how though. But it was before i found "early leap 2" thing so maybe its still 30/30/30 for him too and i was just thinking "at least its not batman" or something.

If you are talking about b2sc restand vortex it is sort of fake.
Options are this
- early j3 will beat anti airs, walking fwd and dashing fwd. Also sometimes you will get a combo and sometimes not(see below)
- early j2 will crossup
Both this options lose to crouching - j3 will be blocked and j2 will wiff
If they stop crouching/antiairing do
- j3 as grodd passes zenith is overhead and launcher
- j2 is crossup
If they dash fwd or walk fwd it doesnt work though.
I didnt test on big hotbox characters (i test on batman, sups and cw) so it may be different for them

Final notes on j3. Splat is very different depending on where it hits(front or back) and also are they crouching, mashing. Somehow doing j3 on standing, crouching, atacking , walking or forward dashing provide different hitstun.
For example when i tried b2sc early j3 against batman i found that i could combo on standing and walking forward easily, i could not combo at all on dashing forward and anti airing, but i could combo on crouching though with much more effort. Also against batman timings of j3 to beat fwd dash is too early so i could only combo off fwd dash and walk forward only due to j3 hitting back of the dummy.

Hope that clears things up.

To answer Gofrogs question : you do last leap 3 very early
Perfect! I'll try all this. thx m8

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Vortex i do is

Is the timing on this really strict or something? I play Superman against Grodd usually and I have never had a problem fwd dashing out of the Jesus setup, j1+3 or j2.