What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
I wish you all the best of luck. May the buff goddess watch over you. As many know, Grodd is extremely cool and underrepresented. Hopefully, time and tech will remedy that.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
Dont think he needs crazy buffs lol just make stampede cancels easier to do and all grodd players can go from there.
I agree that making sc easier would really open the character up as far as match viability is concerned, but he really needs a couple of small qol buffs.

1: if nothing else his f3 needs a better groddamn hitbox. seriously it might be the shortest normal in the game. Its better as anti air than it is as an overhead. ive had that damn thing whiff when grodds face was TOUCHING the opponent. if its going to keep that abysmal hitbox than reduce the startup r something but as of right now that button is trash.

2: ex stampede should do more damage. I know that damage is the only thing that grodd doesn't really lack but seriously his b2 does more damage and it doesn't cost any meter.

3: he needs another overhead, or make d1 a low, or something because his low overhead mix is non existent. Make pulse overhead or something but as it stands the only reason to not block low is because grodd has already jumped over you, or you need to jump away from a grab.

4: This one might be most important but b1 grab needs to be goddamn guaranteed if b1 hits. Make it vaccuum them in or something because landing that slow ass move only to have it whiff because they were walking back and BLOCKING Wrong is regroddamndiculous.

_raf_

Noob
From my experience, playing against a high level wonder woman, may be just as bad as the aquaman matchup. Can't do mix ups if you can't get in.

What are people using to catch backdashes on oki (in situations were I don't get a restand)

In particular, post throw, and post MB Stampede?

DeftMonk

Noob
What are people using to catch backdashes on oki (in situations were I don't get a restand)

In particular, post throw, and post MB Stampede?
Depending on distance I will use d,fx1f or df3. Omega does that mean it's better to use ground pound cancel for pressure than sc? I never tried b2 sc d1 tho maybe it works too.

Another trick I found after labbing cancels yesterday is if ur trying to avoid a transition in a juggle... you can often 2sc before a b2 to get a quick side swap by running under.

BassCase

Noob
I fully understand that more characters than Grodd have gaps in their strings that can be exploited. With that being said, ALL of his strings have big gaps and they're not good on block. He has no fear of an overhead and no command grab. Opening people up with Grodd is a nightmare.

Stampede cancels after a blocked string are great if you can do them, but a good player will be able to interrupt the string before the pressure even starts.

More practice is needed I suppose.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I agree that making sc easier would really open the character up as far as match viability is concerned, but he really needs a couple of small qol buffs.

1: if nothing else his f3 needs a better groddamn hitbox. seriously it might be the shortest normal in the game. Its better as anti air than it is as an overhead. ive had that damn thing whiff when grodds face was TOUCHING the opponent. if its going to keep that abysmal hitbox than reduce the startup r something but as of right now that button is trash.

2: ex stampede should do more damage. I know that damage is the only thing that grodd doesn't really lack but seriously his b2 does more damage and it doesn't cost any meter.

3: he needs another overhead, or make d1 a low, or something because his low overhead mix is non existent. Make pulse overhead or something but as it stands the only reason to not block low is because grodd has already jumped over you, or you need to jump away from a grab.

4: This one might be most important but b1 grab needs to be goddamn guaranteed if b1 hits. Make it vaccuum them in or something because landing that slow ass move only to have it whiff because they were walking back and BLOCKING Wrong is regroddamndiculous.
CAN I GET AN AMEN?! HALLELUJAH!

Anyone else find Catwoman causes a ton of b2~leap~j2 to whiff? I just played a Catwoman and I must have whiffed this on hit every time.

DeftMonk

Noob
interesting bug puddle. I have been playing lots of the joker lately... holy hell and I thought grodd had problems.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Hey guys, I've tried Grodd early today but I have no idea what to do up close. His mixups are too slow and I can't seem to find any stagger, any help?

BassCase

Noob
Unfortunately Grodd doesn't have a stagger game. He honestly doesn't have a mix up game either. IMO the most important things to work on with Grodd are:
1) Patience and spacing for trip guards and whiff punishing are a staple in his gameplay.

2) Stampede cancels help him apply pressure but they are very difficult to execute consistently.

3) And once you land a hit , make it count. He has massive damage potential and a great restand.

This is just my opinion as a Grodd main that's in it for the long haul.

DeftMonk

Noob
sass I wouldnt reccomend tryin to go for mixups out of the gate I usually try to land a combo into a restand then go for the 50/50. I use 112 sc or 2,2,1+3 mb for this. You have to be careful tho as 22 has a massive gap. Might wanna scare them with some 2stampedes first (I still dont have too many people punishing stampede on block, I think they dont really know the matchup yet).

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Thanks I'll try, however if I get zoned out I need to do something when I get in. Going for a string that give my turn away on block doesn't sound exactly optimal, I guess cancels are the only way to go. Too bad my execution is terrible :)

DeftMonk

Noob
well I use mb stampede a lot to get in on zoners for the projectile armor. Often times I will cancel it right in their face and go for some pressure.