What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

TRG

Grodd God
I'll also agree that zoning isn't the main issue I've had against people... It's the super defensive players that know how to consistently anti air my leaps that give me the most trouble by far. Without stampede cancels I have no way to safely get in against these types of opponents especially since they rarely throw out any unsafe moves that I can just whiff punish. They just wait for me to throw out something unsafe on block and punish me accordingly it's frustrating as fuck.

If anyone has any tips for Aquaman that doesn't involve stampede cancels and/or praying I'd love to hear them.

seveergg

The Elegant Swagger Beast
Okay so the matchups against aquaman are tough but ive only lost to one aquaman since playing and he was pretty good. Again patience is key here in this matchup. The key is spacing and patience, you need to block his dumb shit and move forward, walk and block, then get in range for your leap and go for it right after you block his FTD. Yes they can d2 but if you time it right and use the far leap from the right distance he cant AA you. The problem really is staying on that ass but heres a tip, he has shit wakeups so make him block low on wakeup and ocndition him with the super sweep or he can block high to predict your regular strings and eat pavement a few times until he starts gettin that dirty ass on the ground to block the sweep. Also black adams DK is fully punishable with sweep. Boiz please velieve me when i tell you that you need to play like an ape to win with the ape.

BassCase

Noob
112 SC on hit is much easier than on block. I can execute them on hit at least 50% of the time now. It has a strange timing that doesn't feel "natural" for what you're trying to perform. It's less dialing in the entire link and more hit confirming. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else but that's how it feels to me.

Can anyone confirm is you can get anything off of f2 1+3 SC in trait, feels like if you are fast enough you can get a d1 but dont think im doing it fast enough.

DeftMonk

Noob
I have made a lot of improvements to my SC run cancels just by using this method: instead of trying to time differently on hit or block I just do 3 fs or bs. Similar to fuzzy gaurd if timed properly it will cancel in both situations.

Belial

Noob
There is no timing difference on hit or block thats a myth. You want you SC done as fast as possible to get enough frame advantage that timing works both on hit and block. it is possible though to mistime SC so it comes out on block but not on hit. This also nets less frame adv on block.

seveergg

Why would you punish BA divekick with sweep when you can 112 SC into combo
Hey so not to try and suck your butthole or anything but honestly your gameplay and coachsteves has helped me tremendously, i just got the timing down for his cancels which everyone claims are soooooo hard. Granted they are somewhat difficult but its just like anything else it take practice. Appreciate the constructive feedback and thanks for making me love this character even more. Also for no stupid ass harambe jokes...

DeftMonk

Noob
There is no timing difference on hit or block thats a myth. You want you SC done as fast as possible to get enough frame advantage that timing works both on hit and block. it is possible though to mistime SC so it comes out on block but not on hit. This also nets less frame adv on block.
are you saying this with your thorough experience of grodd or mkx liu kang?

BassCase

Noob
If you do F2 followed by D1 into ground pound it doesn't scale. Just a little nugget of wisdom. It's not much, but it's something.

seveergg

Just a PSA for my fellow king kongs out there. You do have the option to grab from your leap on any opponent holding the back button on you. Im only saying this because ive played (surprisingly) against a few grodds the last few days that had no idea. Just press the grab mid air as if you were going to press any other button and enjoy the free combo if you spend the bar which means restand or give em that durty dan damage and get in free

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Just a PSA for my fellow king kongs out there. You do have the option to grab from your leap on any opponent holding the back button on you. Im only saying this because ive played (surprisingly) against a few grodds the last few days that had no idea. Just press the grab mid air as if you were going to press any other button and enjoy the free combo if you spend the bar which means restand or give em that durty dan damage and get in free
D2.