What's new

Game is Unplayable

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is by far the best Mortal Kombat, gameplay-wise. The game focusses on footsies and reads way more than previous games and 50/50's really aren't an issue anymore. The op's post is laughable.
Too early to say. The majority of the roster is still unfinished balance wise. I'd sort of agree with you if there weren't any crushing and fatal blows, ie crutches and get out of jail for free cards. There's too much emphasis on poke spamming and projectiles like Injustice; it stops becoming a fighting game at that point. 50/50s are still a problem with certain characters, except this time you can't react due to the forced input delay. The game is fun, but you can't hang out in the rooms anymore. Not enough players and NRS doesn't want us trash talking to each other. Nobody wants to get their feelings hurt I guess.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Ok I'm going to end the conversation here if your AA punishes are limited to training mode. I get hard AA punishes very consistently. Most characters can cover nearly every jip or jik with the right timing and button choice.
Nah dude haven’t you seen the tourneys, even match it determined by who jumps kicks the most because it’s not such an OP tool with no way to defend.

seanpon

Noob
But to weigh in on this. The balance on this is way better at launch than any other NRS game ever. (Not saying much cuz most of the balance was garbo af) Some of the fucking idiots asking for a balance patch constantly are idiots who didn't experience the patch hell that was MKX where there were 94928482 patches in the first two months alone. The gap between top and bottom tier honestly isn't that big. Fatal blows are fine for the most part since most are like so god damn minus it's not even funny and armor isn't even the problem when u have plenty of ways to meaty that shit. Of course some are like pretty dumb like EBs or Kabal's. Far from unplayable and u hv more than sufficient defensive options
So people are "fucking idiots" for asking for a balance patch... most people are not asking for constant balance patches, just a patch that normalizes the top tier and tunes down fatal blows... this doesn't have to be a severe balance patch, just a small one that would nerf some of the insane shit that the top tier characters get. Why do dudes have to get so defensive when people even mention "balance patch". Most people who don't want a patch are people who play top tier characters and love their broken tools.

"Fatal blows are fine for the most part..." Again, you can't make this statement when you acknowledge already that characters like EB or kabal have stupid fatal blows. It seems as if the top tier broken characters get the best fatal blows to already add on to their insane tools.

"u hv more sufficient defensive options"... what defensive options do you have against a full screen fatal blow that comes out like in 10 frames lol. Thats worst than tekken rage arts. You should know how broken fatal blows are, considering you have Jax as a profile pic.

Fatal blows totally help kill the fun in MK11 and are a huge deal, NRS could've already patched some of these broken fatal blows but got forbid that your jax looses a full screen move with armor that does over 30%. People think MK11 is a game with footsies yet fatal blows completely negate any indication of that.

Owerbart

I miss you
Yeah i'll agree that this vanilla version is way better than mk9 vanilla version. But to play the "its still vanilla guys!" Card has to stop. This their third damn try, and they are still making tremendous conceptual amateurish mistakes. At least in mk9 (which still is a broken game) i can give them the benefit that they didn't farm the characters enough to know that cyrax had 70% resets. Here, the mistakes are much more atrocious because they are in plain sight.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
They were trying to take advantage of them in the beginning. Like when we were getting only 1 heart per finisher. Those free 500k coins we got went by pretty fast too. Fortunately, MK is popular enough for people to to speak out against it. So they "fixed" it shortly after. The Towers are still ridiculous nonetheless and you still have to be online to play them. Sometimes developers purposely make their game a grindfest knowing that there'll be pushback. So when they make changes they can claim they're listening to community feedback.
It's really just a lesser form of data mining to see how far they can go with microtransactions. "Can we at least use them for cosmetics" etc. You can't give them an inch or they'll take a mile.
But there werent any microtransactions. Outside of the time crystals that really didnt get you much there wasnt anything in place to purchase

Unfinished?

It's vanilla. This is the best balance we've ever had at the start of a new NRS game, by a longshot. In fact, it's one of the better-balanced FG launches in recent memory.
Nonsense. It's completely unfair how some characters have easy to do, high damage crushing blows, overheads, and full screen fatal blows while the majority of the cast has nothing to work with. Scorpion can chain two crushing blows in one combo. There's a reason why the same 4 characters get picked. Unbalanced and unfair.
But there werent any microtransactions. Outside of the time crystals that really didnt get you much there wasnt anything in place to purchase
The intention was obvious; make the Towers of Time obnoxious and grindy with bullshit modifiers like Injustice so players would give and by skins with real money. Fortunately, it backfired. The Krypt is still random by the way.
Yeah i'll agree that this vanilla version is way better than mk9 vanilla version. But to play the "its still vanilla guys!" Card has to stop. This their third damn try, and they are still making tremendous conceptual amateurish mistakes. At least in mk9 (which still is a broken game) i can give them the benefit that they didn't farm the characters enough to know that cyrax had 70% resets. Here, the mistakes are much more atrocious because they are in plain sight.
Why does Shang Tsung, a new character, automatically get an overhead, but Kano doesn't even have a mid starter?

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
There is a good honest game in MK11, but the top tier characters don't play it because they have tools that circumvent those mechanics. Problem is most people play those top tiers, and if you don't you are just flat out at a disadvantage. With the right tweaks this is a very good game, but right now the S-Tier is playing a different set fo fundamentals, because they can bypass all the neutral that this game was supposed to built around.

Last edited:

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
All games have pretty bad flaws but 9 was the best time I’ve ever had online.
Pretty ironic given that this game has infinitely better netcode than mk9....talk about unplayable online.
i mean, mk11 has plenty of 50/50s just of a different variety, are they gonna finish that string or stagger it, are they gonna MB or not, guess wrong and your eating a combo or Crushing blow, they just switched the guessing game from being overhead/Low :p
Staggers aren’t 50/50s....mkx had just as many staggers, on top of true 50/50s and get out of jail free safe armored launchers until the last patch. There’s no comparison between how much guessing was on the table with mkx.

It’s a string based game. I mean if you want to play a game that revolves around intentionally whiffing single buttons in neutral it’s out there.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Not really. I know I am not good at the game. That doesn't mean that im ignorant to what makes a good fighting game. I played MK as a kid and had a lot of fun with it, I've played every version of Street Fighter, including all the verses games. Some of them at a high level so I'm not just some random scrub. Maybe in MK I'm a random scrub I'll give you that but I can still recognize whats going on and capable of learning. I quit SF because of how scrub friendly SFV is and the reason for my frustration is that this game seems to follow the same suit.

Keep in mind that my only experience vs real life players has been online so thats probably effecting my opinion. But the fact that several people in this thread agree with my OP goes to show that I'm not just spewing toxicity. The problem is even if you know what your opponents options are you have to guess. In earlier versions of street fighter wake up shoryuken (for example) was considered the scrubs goto tactic. This game FORCES you to make those types of decisions constantly. Blocking on reaction is not a viable option which I think is extremely scrub friendly. Blocking is the most important thing to be able to do in any fighting game and this game forces you to gamble in so many different scenarios.
Your opinion is not at all the consensus, or the popular one. You must have really cherry picked the responses in this thread to feel like people are backing you up.

What do you mean you can’t block on reaction? On wakeup?

There’s complaints to be made for this game but I don’t feel like you’ve touched on even a single legitimate one.

I will agree that I’m not crazy about the wakeup meta in general. Besides that, your dismissal of the game out of hand just shows how little you understand the game.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
still feels like to make up for the lack of overhead low mixups NRS had to switch up the type of guessing games we would be playing and is why they made throws do more damage.

The OP and I have differing definitions of unplayable.

My definition: cannot literally be played.

OP’s definition: my wife can win a game and I have a hard time winning.

Time to consult the Oxford English Dictionary to see which is right.

:DOGE

You should learn how to define things.

I havent had trouble winning games at all. Eventually your reading ability will kick in and opportunities in life might open up for you. I mean probably not but there is always a chance.

Your opinion is not at all the consensus, or the popular one. You must have really cherry picked the responses in this thread to feel like people are backing you up.

What do you mean you can’t block on reaction? On wakeup?

There’s complaints to be made for this game but I don’t feel like you’ve touched on even a single legitimate one.

I will agree that I’m not crazy about the wakeup meta in general. Besides that, your dismissal of the game out of hand just shows how little you understand the game.
When I say you cant on reaction it means exactly what the english says. If you see certain moves come out you have to ALREADY be blocking to be able to block them. For a forum thats in english there seem to be like 5 people here capable of speaking it.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
MK11 is a dumb video game, and just like all video games outside of the 0.002% of the player base who are good enough to win enough money to sustain themselves, it doesn’t matter how good you are, and nobody cares how good you are. Games should be a way to fuck off and waste time, reduce your stress. Getting worked up over this game and taking it uber serious does you no favors. Like a couple years ago didn’t pig do the math and when forever king was winning tournaments in MKX and he was only making 11 bucks an hour. I’d end myself if I only made 11 bucks an hour and none of you guys are as good as him, so don’t stress just enjoy the game if you like it, or don’t play it if you don’t like it. Like fuck nobody cares if you like the game

3kCle

Noob
When I say you cant on reaction it means exactly what the english says. If you see certain moves come out you have to ALREADY be blocking to be able to block them. For a forum thats in english there seem to be like 5 people here capable of speaking it.
Lol how are you insulting people's intelligence when you claim to be a fighting game veteran but clearly don't understand this game even at a basic level? Btw blocking isn't hard. Hold the R2 button

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
Aren't you guessing in literally every fighting game? Don't they basically come down to, is my opponent going to get hit by this, which is a guess?

Also, every game has those crazy fluky wins with a less skilled person. My wife can bear me in ST with Cammy by doing nothing but moving towards me and pressing jab. I also am not very good at that game so maybe it's a bad example (and I also don't advantage of the fact she doesn't ever block and I purposely don't pick the only character I know how to play, Ryu, and spam fireballs). Would you say that ST is unplayable and has bad mechanics?

I think for the most part, this is a good game. Maybe the best mk ever. I feel like it's pretty honest. I've never felt like I've been cheaped out of a win or loss. Most of the time I lose is because I beat myself by making too many mistakes or not adapting, or I just didn't know the matchup (because I just don't practice and it's more fun for me to try and adapt on the fly). Like, I ran into an erron black for the first time last night and I felt like Rocky Bobby and didn't know what to do with my hands. I know he's a strong character, but I may have to practice a little, and talk to other people, so I can develop a game plan for that character.

I think I got a little off topic, all I want to say is, I think it's a good game and think the characters in their current state are fine. I haven't found a character I absolutely love playing as yet and has clicked with me, but I found one that I can roll with and am having fun. I just think maybe this game just isn't for you, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think you're wanting mechanics that this game doesnt have or does differently than other fighters. Again there's nothing wrong with that and there's nothing wrong with dropping a game because it just doesn't fit you. Like, I thought about dropping this game because I couldn't find a character that clicked with me like SR and lasher Takeda did in mkx or especially how SFV zangief did. That's the character I wanted in this game and I'm not in love with any of the grapplers or maybe how grapplers work in mk. Or maybe just haven't figured out how they work I dunno.

So ya, maybe it's just not for you or you just haven't found that character that's clicked with you.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Aren't you guessing in literally every fighting game? Don't they basically come down to, is my opponent going to get hit by this, which is a guess?
That's basically my understanding.

I just wish I knew what this hypothetical great fighting game is that people who complain about MK11 keep seeming to compare MK11 to.

I mean, show me a fighting game, any fighting game, and you'll find some kind of balance issue, some kind of move that can be spammed for a win, bad character matchups, 50/50 situations, whatever people want to complain about. If you look hard enough to can find flaws in anything. NRS could do all the patches people want, and it will never be good enough.

BlondeWolf411

Cowboy Pioneer
That's basically my understanding.

I just wish I knew what this hypothetical great fighting game is that people who complain about MK11 keep seeming to compare MK11 to.

I mean, show me a fighting game, any fighting game, and you'll find some kind of balance issue, some kind of move that can be spammed for a win, bad character matchups, 50/50 situations, whatever people want to complain about. If you look hard enough to can find flaws in anything. NRS could do all the patches people want, and it will never be good enough.
This 100% I’ve played a multitude of fighting games every one boils down to the same thing. There is no mythical perfect balance FG and out of all Nrs games recently this is by far the most balanced if people think Eb/Geras/Sonya are just unstoppable monsters guess they didn’t play against mk9 Kabal/Sonya/Cyrax or Inj1 Supes/AquaLad

Status
Not open for further replies.