What's new

For Honor

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
You can do it on PS4, and I'm pretty sure you can do it on PC. You just can't do it in game. Like on PS4 I have to go into the PS4 settings and change the buttons. I have Square/guardbreak as R3.
Well Ubi's trash EasyAntiCheat bans people who use Joy2Key or other 3rd party controller binding software. And even at that, there's no way to make the game not recognize your pad that defaults the controls to what they have.

Reactions: GAV

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
First off all i dont give a fuck about winning or losing thats not my problem what i do give a fuck about is chasing people around a giant map all day thats my problem. dude im not the only one who is complaining about this alot of people agree with me. right now the run away game is cancer and something needs to be done

Second backdashing costing stamina in mkx really made a big difference you couldn't just shotgun backdashes like crazy whenever you felt like it you had to manage your keep away same could be done for this game
Which is why I said I'm fine with backdashing or dashing in general costing stamina. But for your particular complaint, stamina costs for dashing isn't really going to fix the problem. PK will still be able to run away fairly easily. Unless they make dashing cost a huge chunk and also make running cost stamina. But even if they did that, that will also effect YOUR character, making it just as hard to "catch" her. PK needs a distance and speed nerf on her dashes specifically.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
yeah, I have a Logitech mouse with a few extra buttons, so i can bind everything to it that I want, but I just dont like using kb/m.. I really prefer being able to kick back and relax a little and use the pad. I'll just have to get used to it I guess, but yeah, we should ABSOLUTELY be able to rebind, I literally didnt believe people when I read you couldnt. I just thought they had missed it somehow.. That's such a BASIC part of PC gaming, BAh.

I mean, I cant imagine they wont give that to us eventually. It really does give a CONTROLLER (Im not arguing the FPS thing) advantage to console, as I really really feel like having GB on R3 or L3 is very very important.

I read they banned people for using the rebind stuff as well, so I ditched it.. I originally downloaded and set it up and got it working for GB, but then read that and uninstalled it.

Shrug. On kb/m I bind GB to the middle mouse button. Makes it super easy/

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
Which is why I said I'm fine with backdashing or dashing in general costing stamina. But for your particular complaint, stamina costs for dashing isn't really going to fix the problem. PK will still be able to run away fairly easily. Unless they make dashing cost a huge chunk and also make running cost stamina. But even if they did that, that will also effect YOUR character, making it just as hard to "catch" her. PK needs a distance and speed nerf on her dashes specifically.

I completely agree with you on pk nerfs. But its not just about pk And just to be clear i said make back dashing cost stamina not forward dashing forward dashing should not cost stamina just back dashing. And i dont know what they can do about people running away out of lock

I guess Well see what happens i just never played a fighting game before were you cannot stop anyone from running away. if you run away too much in games like mortal kombat or street fighter you corner yourself and you put yourself im a really bad situation, this game needs something of that nature something that punishes you for running away too much all can think of is making back dashes cost stamina

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Well Ubi's trash EasyAntiCheat bans people who use Joy2Key or other 3rd party controller binding software. And even at that, there's no way to make the game not recognize your pad that defaults the controls to what they have.
Hmm, I thought for sure you would be able to easily remap buttons on a PC game. That sucks. Having guardbreak on R3 is an insanely useful tool. I literally went from guardbreak teching maybe 75% of the time to 100% of the time. Except if it's really laggy or I'm getting ganked, of course (as well as a GB punish, obviously). Not having to move my thumb off of essentially my block button is a huge advantage. I'm not kidding. I don't have godlike 18 year old SonicFox reactions, but I tech 100% of the time. Well maybe 99% of the time, some players can mix me up and condition me enough to sneak in a guardbreak, but I don't run into many great players in matchmaking unfortunately.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I completely agree with you on pk nerfs. But its not just about pk And just to be clear i said make back dashing cost stamina not forward dashing forward dashing should not cost stamina just back dashing. And i dont know what they can do about people running away out of lock

I guess Well see what happens i just never played a fighting game before were you cannot stop anyone from running away. if you run away too much in games like mortal kombat or street fighter you corner yourself and you put yourself im a really bad situation, this game needs something of that nature something that punishes you for running away too much all can think of is making back dashes cost stamina
Yeah it's a problem for sure. I didn't mean for it to come off as me saying it wasn't an issue. But there's other flaws in the meta as well that makes it to where turtling and running away are equally effective and boring strategies.

Say I'm In a 1v1 duel against a PK, and I'm Shugoki. Let's say the PK at first tries to fight me and she goes down to one bar of health. She then starts running away. No way Goki's fat ass is going to ever catch her. However, he doesn't need to necessarily, he can just turtle and wait. This causes a draw. The problem is this can happen every round in a duel, you literally can keep on drawing with either tactic.

The only solutions I can think of is too nerf running away, and make it to where whoever has the life lead wins. Or, an alternative option would to get rid of a standard duel and make it a King of The Hill type of scenario. You get points for being in the hill, double the points for damaging your opponent in the hill, and a bonus point amount for killing your opponent in the hill.

You need an incentive to not turtle the entire round, and/or not run away the entire round. This is why at the highest levels duels can become extremely tedious and boring in the current system and meta.

In 2v2 the incentive is that there's more than just one opponent. If you turtle, your opponent can go help his teammate. Or he can turtle too and wait for his teammate to kill your teammate then gank you. Running away is still a problem in 2v2 but it's a lot more difficult if there's 2 people trying to catch you.

In Dominion you can turtle and run away but that won't earn you any points, thus not really a viable strategy, at least nowhere near as strong as it is in duels. 4v4 elim and skirmish speak for themselves. Elim is basically like a 4v4 brawl with power ups and gear stats. Skirmish is a respawn gametype where you need kills for points.

Last edited:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Yeah it's a problem for sure. I didn't mean for it to come off as me saying it wasn't an issue. But there's other flaws in the meta as well that makes it to where turtling and running away are equally effective and boring strategies.

Say I'm In a 1v1 duel against a PK, and I'm Shugoki. Let's say the PK at first tries to fight me and she goes down to one bar of health. She then starts running away. No way Goki's fat ass is going to ever catch her. However, he doesn't need to necessarily, he can just turtle and wait. This causes a draw. The problem is this can happen every round in a duel, you literally can keep on drawing with either tactic.

The only solutions I can think of is too nerf running away, and make it to where whoever has the life lead wins. Or, an alternative option would to get rid of a standard duel and make it a King of The Hill type of scenario. You get points for being in the hill, double the points for damaging your opponent in the hill, and a bonus point amount for killing your opponent in the hill.

You need an incentive to not turtle the entire round, and/or not run away the entire round. This is why at the highest levels duels can become extremely tedious and boring in the current system and meta.

In 2v2 the incentive is that there's more than just one opponent. If you turtle, your opponent can go help his teammate. Or he can turtle too and wait for his teammate to kill your teammate then gank you. Running away is still a problem in 2v2 but it's a lot more difficult if there's 2 people trying to catch you.

In Dominion you can turtle and run away but that won't earn you any points, thus not really a viable strategy, at least nowhere near as strong as it is in duels. 4v4 elim and skirmish speak for themselves. Elim is basically like a 4v4 brawl with power ups and gear stats. Skirmish is a respawn gametype where you need kills for points.
This is why once everyone stops whining about gear and just gets gear, they conclude that Dominion is the best mode.

EntropicByDesign

Never gonna happen on the gear thing/Dominion thing. The nuances of the combat just get lost in Dominion for me. You have all these outside factors. Like you said yourself you never see Wardens running the more in-depth mixup stuff I mentioned earlier, when in the duels oriented modes it's literally standard play.

Dominion is ABSOLUTELY about skill and strategy, it's just a different skill and strategy set to duels and since I play/see(just my personal view) FH as a fighting game, I don't like the extra crap. I just want to duel.

And again, yeah, my GBs were way better when I was on pad /w the program changing the layout for me and better on kb/m since it's on middle mouse button.

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog

Good points bro i think we agree on most of this stuff

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Hmm, I thought for sure you would be able to easily remap buttons on a PC game. That sucks. Having guardbreak on R3 is an insanely useful tool. I literally went from guardbreak teching maybe 75% of the time to 100% of the time. Except if it's really laggy or I'm getting ganked, of course (as well as a GB punish, obviously). Not having to move my thumb off of essentially my block button is a huge advantage. I'm not kidding. I don't have godlike 18 year old SonicFox reactions, but I tech 100% of the time. Well maybe 99% of the time, some players can mix me up and condition me enough to sneak in a guardbreak, but I don't run into many great players in matchmaking unfortunately.
Yea my gb tech ratio is not perfect I miss about 10-15% of techs because I'm anticipating having to change my guard. But honestly the fact that I have to make a read between dodging and changing my guard hurts me more. Playing vs Conq, Valk and Warden is a nightmare when I should be be able to react to Lights/Unblockable mix-up instead of having to make a read and eat 20%(or more) of my health.

Never gonna happen on the gear thing/Dominion thing. The nuances of the combat just get lost in Dominion for me. You have all these outside factors. Like you said yourself you never see Wardens running the more in-depth mixup stuff I mentioned earlier, when in the duels oriented modes it's literally standard play.

Dominion is ABSOLUTELY about skill and strategy, it's just a different skill and strategy set to duels and since I play/see(just my personal view) FH as a fighting game, I don't like the extra crap. I just want to duel.

And again, yeah, my GBs were way better when I was on pad /w the program changing the layout for me and better on kb/m since it's on middle mouse button.
The problem I have with Dominion is the fact that the gear system is P2W meaning you spend your time building up a character only to realize his feats or gear are not as good as others so you have to spend another year building up another character.

Or you give in to Ubi's greed antics and buy your way to having a good character.

Imagine if leveling up in Dark Souls meant paying for the top-tier weapons and armor? Absolute LOL.

If Dominion were played gearless/featless and revive speed were nerfed I would be able to see it as a fun team-work oriented melee game like Chivalry.

It would also encourage players to actually get good and not rely on crutches liek feat/gear/ganks. The roster is already unbalanced as is it doesn't need more bs.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
yeah, I have a Logitech mouse with a few extra buttons, so i can bind everything to it that I want, but I just dont like using kb/m.. I really prefer being able to kick back and relax a little and use the pad. I'll just have to get used to it I guess, but yeah, we should ABSOLUTELY be able to rebind, I literally didnt believe people when I read you couldnt. I just thought they had missed it somehow.. That's such a BASIC part of PC gaming, BAh.

I mean, I cant imagine they wont give that to us eventually. It really does give a CONTROLLER (Im not arguing the FPS thing) advantage to console, as I really really feel like having GB on R3 or L3 is very very important.

I read they banned people for using the rebind stuff as well, so I ditched it.. I originally downloaded and set it up and got it working for GB, but then read that and uninstalled it.

Shrug. On kb/m I bind GB to the middle mouse button. Makes it super easy/
The problem I have with middle click is that it's too small to reliably use especially since it's a reactive tool. When I tried it, I kept missing it and not to mention my index/middle moves slower than my thumb does.

Other buttons I tried were Scroll Down, Scroll Up, Space and Shift. All of them just as uncomfortable or I'm sacrificing another button.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Once you get to prestige 3, you get legendary gear just for playing. At prestige 4, if you've bought a few packs with the steel you get for playing - you can level up a set to 108. Just get champion status with the steel you have and just play Dominion. In a few days, you will be there without having spent a dime on steel. Everything I am hearing other than this on the subject is just abject whining from unknowingly entitled players.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I played about 8 matches since remapping my buttons and I'm about 90% comfy with it. I think I got Kensei down to 99% but the moment I switch to other characters my muscle memory kicks in and I go back to default controls for a bit.

LB for dodge has been the best thing I've had to since bumper jumping on Halo. God bless button remapping

EntropicByDesign

@EntropicByDesign

wowoweewow

Just as I was about to go make a useless complaint on reddit I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5qi3e2/pc_want_to_rebind_your_controller/

TL;DR: look at the Steam Big Picture tutorial

yay now I can practice getting used to RS as GB and LB as dodge. Weirdly enough even though I unmapped the old controls they still work so I just have to rework my muscle memory to not press X for GB and A for dodge

Id hug you if I could. I did some digging too, and you can go in to advanced settings then in to another advanced settings inside that, and change the deadzone on the analog stick as well! So switching guard feels faster and more responsive than before and it should actually BE slightly faster if going from L to R or R to L simply because the analog stick needs to cover half the distance.. but the way I have it set up now it shouldnt be anywhere near twitchy, I still have a cushion so I shouldn't have too much trouble switching on accident.

EntropicByDesign

@Gesture Required Ahead

Yeah a buddy of mine is on his way home from work then Im going to get to grips with this new control scheme and start re-training my muscle memory. I also found a setting in the game itself to make target lock a toggle, so I dont have to hold down L2 the whole damn time. I know there are some tricks with target unlocking and such, but Im not worried about that shit right now, I like the fact I can just toggle on and not have to hold the fucking button. I found that tedious.

But yeah man, getting dodge on L1 is soooo good. It means you're thumb just doesn't ever have to move from the analog stick, which is so nice. It'll take me some time to get used to it all, hopefully tonight I'll get it mostly down. I suffer from not playing a huge amount though, since you and I dueled that one day I have maybe 4hrs ingame, lol.I think Im lv11 or something, so I dont have a HUGE amount of muscle memory to overwrite thankfully.

Tonight I'm going to be trying Nobu some as a secondary just for shits and giggles.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
@Gesture Required Ahead

Yeah a buddy of mine is on his way home from work then Im going to get to grips with this new control scheme and start re-training my muscle memory. I also found a setting in the game itself to make target lock a toggle, so I dont have to hold down L2 the whole damn time. I know there are some tricks with target unlocking and such, but Im not worried about that shit right now, I like the fact I can just toggle on and not have to hold the fucking button. I found that tedious.

But yeah man, getting dodge on L1 is soooo good. It means you're thumb just doesn't ever have to move from the analog stick, which is so nice. It'll take me some time to get used to it all, hopefully tonight I'll get it mostly down. I suffer from not playing a huge amount though, since you and I dueled that one day I have maybe 4hrs ingame, lol.I think Im lv11 or something, so I dont have a HUGE amount of muscle memory to overwrite thankfully.

Tonight I'm going to be trying Nobu some as a secondary just for shits and giggles.
Yeah I use toggle lock on as well. It was annoying having to hold down L2 the entire time. It also helps your brain react better if you're not having to constantly hold down a button, lol. Once you get used to it you will be able to easily do all the unlocking tricks, and be able to easily unlock and run.

I need to go back and try L1 for dashing/dodging, so I never have to move my thumbs! I tried it before but I did it at the same time I changed GB to R3, and it was too much to relearn.

Last edited:

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
I found some tech (may have been discussed before) where after dashing to the side, if you unlock your opponent after, you can immediately roll after untargeting, where before you could not roll except for backdash->roll

Last edited: