What's new

Fatal Blows must be changed

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Premium Supporter
Again, that is a MK problem all based around it's stupid chip-kill system. Chip/chip-kill is perfectly fine, but there must be a system in place to counter it (Last Breath is useless). It's even more magnified in MK because normal attacks do chip (even teching a throw does chip lol). Again, NO other current fighting game has this ancient problem.

It's at this point, MK is keeping/adding things for the sake of being different, but they don't have any type of logical application.

How many examples must I show of comebacks in games that have chip-kill, but better counteracting systems? For now, I'll just give one:

Note: Anti-chip mechanic is Barrier meter

Sounds like MK isn't the game for you, then, man. These other fighting games have what you're looking for, it seems.

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
Again, that is a MK problem all based around it's stupid chip-kill system. Chip/chip-kill is perfectly fine, but there must be a system in place to counter it (Last Breath is useless). It's even more magnified in MK because normal attacks do chip (even teching a throw does chip lol). Again, NO other current fighting game has this ancient problem.

It's at this point, MK is keeping/adding things for the sake of being different, but they don't have any type of logical application.

How many examples must I show of comebacks in games that have chip-kill, but better counteracting systems? For now, I'll just give one:

Note: Anti-chip mechanic is Barrier meter. Comeback mechanics are Supers and Overdrive.

One of the Best grand finals ever in any fighter

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Premium Supporter

Note: Anti-chip mechanic is Barrier meter. Comeback mechanics are Supers and Overdrive.

So... why are you playing Mortal Kombat if you don’t like the mechanics of Mortal Kombat?

Chip kill is fine. Sudden chip invincibility is stupid in any game.

Fatal blows are also fine. Because both players have access to it. People keep acting like it’s a one-sided mechanic, which is frankly idiotic.

It sounds like you actually want more hand-holding, at least on the defensive side.

Marlow

Premium
Premium Supporter
Fatal blows are also fine. Because both players have access to it. People keep acting like it’s a one-sided mechanic, which is frankly idiotic.
It's also just one round. So even if you "steal" a round with it, you've still got to win or have won a round without it.

Show me on the doll where the Fatal Blow touched you. It's okay, you're among friends here...
View attachment 14570

r/thathappened :rolleyes:

Dude, if you're going to tell a lie to support your argument, at least make the lie somewhat believable.

You expect someone to actually believe you spent the first ~30-60 seconds getting your ass summarily handed to you, not landing a single retaliatory blow during that time, and then just as your opponent is on the verge of landing the last blow needed to remove your 1% of remaining health, you miraculously:

A). Suddenly connected 3 amplified slides (the requirement for SZ's KB, assuming we're talking about SZ here).

B). Managed to avoid being touched even once by your opponent during this time, despite the fact he or she was just mopping the floor with you without any form of resistance from you.

Did everyone clap afterwards?

And, let's assume this isn't a lie (a big assumption, btw). You then have the audacity to imply your comeback and victory-steal wasn't due to your Bnb, the KB, that your opponent's thumbs suddenly fell off, or the laughable notion that you didn't get hit during all this...it was the FB that stole the victory and gave you the edge you didn't "deserve".

Wow...just wow. Cool story, bruh XD
I see you are an cool kid. Going all edgy and whatnot

• I was getting mopped because my opponent had the momentum. It's completely possible, and it's happening.
  • Full combo to slide KB ~40%, whatever JK corner bnb ~25%, FB ~35%. I only connected 3 hits as you see, one of them being armoured.
  • I performed the other 2 AMP slides in the PREVIOUS round.
  • @Rozalin1780 too, as I said in my original post, I WAS A D4 away from flawless losing the round. D4. D freakin 4. Is a d4 equivalent of 1% damage? Don't think so. Is it possible to FB armour through an opponent's d1 while having left a health amount which is MORE than d1? Yes it is.
Watch your ways from now on boy. This place is not gamefaqs.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Premium Supporter
I see you are an cool kid. Going all edgy and whatnot

• I was getting mopped because my opponent had the momentum. It's completely possible, and it's happening.
  • Full combo to slide KB ~40%, whatever JK corner bnb ~25%, FB ~35%. I only connected 3 hits as you see, one of them being armoured.
  • @Rozalin1780 too, as I said in my original post, I WAS A D4 away from flawless losing the round. D4. D freakin 4. Is a d4 equivalent of 1% damage? Don't think so. Is it possible to FB armour through an opponent's d1 while having left a health amount which is MORE than d1? Yes it is.
Watch your ways from now on boy. This place is not gamefaqs.
Wow, and he comes back to double down on the BS. Whatever justifies your view in your own alternate reality, "boy". lol

Would have been best if you'd just hung your head and didn't comment on that particular BS again.

Marlow

Premium
Premium Supporter
So if I'm understanding this right, you opened the opponent up three times, and had also opened them up in the prior round enough time to set up your slide KB, and somehow you winning is you "stealing" the game? And your opponent had you down to basically 5% and couldn't finish you off?

If anything I feel like this a great example of why a mechanic like Krushing Blow and Fatal Blow work well in the game. You made some great clutch reads, your opponent didn't, and you secured a victory.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Premium Supporter
So if I'm understanding this right, you opened the opponent up three times, and had also opened them up in the prior round enough time to set up your slide KB, and somehow you winning is you "stealing" the game? And your opponent had you down to basically 5% and couldn't finish you off?

If anything I feel like this a great example of why a mechanic like Krushing Blow and Fatal Blow work well in the game. You made some great clutch reads, your opponent didn't, and you secured a victory.
Yup. Assuming this did happen...which it probably didn't...but if it did, this is a great example of someone outplaying someone else, with the FB only being a side note.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Premium Supporter
And furthermore, if true, then why did he use FB in the first place? If he's so against the mechanic, using it to secure a victory against your friend seems pretty hypocritical... XD

It's like "I hate this stupid mechanic...but Imma use it to help me get the W since I'm so far behind." lol

Lel, you guys seriously don’t believe a clutch like that could happen? Have you ever played a fighting game before? you can never count a player out.

It's notexactly like stealing the round, it's just that I export a massive amount of damage out of nowhere. I mean, 3 connects winning the round could happen in mk9 and X with X-rays (with the risk of losing all meter of course). But for the rest of the damage, I had to work more.

Also, The psychology behind it: Even nearly flawlessed, I was calm knowing I have my KB reserved (which isn't difficult at all to connect 3 in the whole much) and that I can armor through him, knowing he will probably get up with a jab.
Now, Imagine being in the same situation in MK9 or even worst, MKX, with out a guaranteed xray. Would you maintain the same focus and confidence?

EDIT: * to connect 3 AMP slides with subzero

Last edited:
And furthermore, if true, then why did he use FB in the first place? If he's so against the mechanic, using it to secure a victory against your friend seems pretty hypocritical... XD

It's like "I hate this stupid mechanic...but Imma use it to help me get the W since I'm so far behind." lol
If you followed my opinions instead of trying to be an edgelord, you would understand that I only whine about FB's duration and lack of shortcut. And my only suggestion of improving it is MORE risk factor. Not damage nerf, or removal.
At this state It's just an easy comeback.

Marlow

Premium
Premium Supporter
Also, The psychology behind it: Even nearly flawlessed, I was calm knowing I have my KB reserved (which isn't difficult at all to connect 3 in the whole much) and that I can armor through him, knowing he will probably get up with a jab.

To me, though, that's exactly what makes a comeback mechanic worth it. You know that even though you're close to death, if you can make a few good reads to can still win the game. And your opponent knows this too, so he should have done a better job at anticipating your use of the Fatal Blow. If he makes the right call on his wakeup, he wins that game and your comeback falls short.

Again, I see what you mean about getting access to a super powerful damage burst, but utilizing that damage burst, and being in a position to survive and utilize that damage in the first place, is still a testament to your good play prior in the game.

Afumba

Noob
Well, If I came off as a douche, it wasn't intentional (my bad) but I still stand with everything I said earlier. Perhaps throwing a raw FB (especially since it has a relatively short recharge time) is boring to you and I get it! I mean, you land some really good combos and you know deep down, you deserve to win cuz you had a great round and then BOOM! Fatal Blow!!! Your opponent has a chance of winning despite you being the better player that round! It's frustrating but it's a mechanic for both players.

EVERYONE has been a victim of Fatal blows taking a round from them, but we have also taken rounds from opponents thanks to our fatal blows! We can all agree that a fighting game doesn't rely on your skill alone but other factors like reading your opponent and simply put, MIND games. The opponent just made a good read in a boring fashion OR he/she was lucky! Either way, both scenarios happen in fighting games!

If anything, adjust your fighting style when your opponent's fatal blow is ready! A comeback is a comeback! No matter how boring it is! :)
All good man ;)

I can agree with what you said and adjusting is not a problem. Was just voicing my oppinion that i dont like these mechanics and why i dont. If the majority likes the mechanic and it stays as it is then so be it. The game is otherwise too good and fun to not play it just cuz i dislike one mechanic.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Premium Supporter
If you followed my opinions instead of trying to be an edgelord, you would understand that I only whine about FB's duration and lack of shortcut. And my only suggestion of improving it is MORE risk factor. Not damage nerf, or removal.
At this state It's just an easy comeback.
I'm nearing 30, so I think I may be out of the acceptable age-range for edgelord-ism ;)

Also, you just said that you dealt 65% points of damage that you didn't "work for" in that fight. Sounds like you may have an issue with the damage after all...

As for a shortcut, meh, I'd prefer it be a second or two shorter, but it's fine as is.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
I just came here for the mindless defense of stupid MK mechanics and I wasn't disappointed.

If half you kids played other fighters more than once a year you'd see where NRS drops the ball and needs to suck up their pride and adopt mechanics that work and drop ones that are an outdated 20 yr old "tradition" or "hey we're different!" for the sake of novelty.

I still like these games bc they're super fun, but they hold back the series from being taken as seriously or having the longevity of other fighters.

To me, though, that's exactly what makes a comeback mechanic worth it. You know that even though you're close to death, if you can make a few good reads to can still win the game. And your opponent knows this too, so he should have done a better job at anticipating your use of the Fatal Blow. If he makes the right call on his wakeup, he wins that game and your comeback falls short.

Again, I see what you mean about getting access to a super powerful damage burst, but utilizing that damage burst, and being in a position to survive and utilize that damage in the first place, is still a testament to your good play prior in the game.
You may seem to have the right mentality on the new mechanics umbrella. Maybe I overreact on that damage burst. When we first heard of smaller combos and damage, I was on boat but It's just that sometimes it seems we have 40%s again, but with less execution and tension behind them.

I'm nearing 30, so I think I may be out of the acceptable age-range for edgelord-ism ;)

Also, you just said that you dealt 65% points of damage that you didn't "work for" in that fight. Sounds like you may have an issue with the damage after all...

As for a shortcut, meh, I'd prefer it be a second or two shorter, but it's fine as is.
I'm older than you though, and you came to me in all rude and edgy. You could just ask for clarification before trying to blow me up with no results.

I may indeed have an issue with damage bursts as I point in my late posts.

Glad you aren't bored of them, an optional shortcut would make us all happy.

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
I just came here for the mindless defense of stupid MK mechanics and I wasn't disappointed.

If half you kids played other fighters more than once a year you'd see where NRS drops the ball and needs to suck up their pride and adopt mechanics that work and drop ones that are an outdated 20 yr old "tradition" or "hey we're different!" for the sake of novelty.

I still like these games bc they're super fun, but they hold back the series from being taken as seriously or having the longevity of other fighters.
Lol, calling people scrubs coz they disagree and assuming they dont play other fighters. Tell me a modern day fighter where isnt somekind of "comeback mechanic or scrub mechanic"? Oh and the "if u Kids..." rly original and fresh

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Premium Supporter
I'm older than you though, and you came to me in all rude and edgy. You could just ask for clarification before trying to blow me up with no results.

I may indeed have an issue with damage bursts as I point in my late posts.

Glad you aren't bored of them, an optional shortcut would make us all happy.
You know, let's just agree to disagree at this point. Better than just sniping back at one another and throwing around the term "edgelord"...god I hate that term lol

Truce?

grandabx

The Flameater

I've been saying this for years.

You know, let's just agree to disagree at this point. Better than just sniping back at one another and throwing around the term "edgelord"...god I hate that term lol

Truce?
Truce.

We can continue to disgree as much as you like. I'm also 100% in for roasting and trolling, but calling people names and baseless assuming is a different thing.

Anyway, I'm overwhelmed from the manners of some weird new people here, I see you are overwhelmed as well from these discussions and the bunch of indeed crazy opinions heard in this thread. We're ok.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Premium Supporter
Truce.

We can continue to disgree as much as you like. I'm also 100% in for roasting and trolling, but calling people names and baseless assuming is a different thing.

Anyway, I'm overwhelmed from the manners of some weird new people here, I see you are overwhelmed as well from these discussions and the bunch of indeed crazy opinions heard in this thread. We're ok.
The story is outlandish, and I still have difficulty believing it, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. If this really happened (You going from a d4 away from dying, to full on taking a flawless round away), I'm super salty it wasn't recorded lol...because a comeback like that would have been worthy of watching for sure. ^^