What's new

Match-up Discussion Doomsday Matchup Discussion

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
DD-DS is an even MU. Patience, patience, patience.

DD-Shazam is in DD's favor. DD pretty much out ranges Shazam. Shazam cannot take the life lead and simply get away with it. His tp is punishable people.

DD-KF is in KF's favor. This MU is really scary if the KF player knows what he/she is doing. KF can literally punish anything DD does for tons of damage, its not even funny.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
DD-Shazam is in DD's favor. DD pretty much out ranges Shazam. Shazam cannot take the life lead and simply get away with it. His tp is punishable people.
His backwards teleport is only punishable by a really well timed MB Supernova. Anything else and he can either block or DD runs into the invisible hitbox.

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
I lol'd at Ares going 3-7.
I can neutral jump splash every wake up and he has to hold that jump in. If he teleports at all he'll get hit, even if he teleports behind me because splash has such a large hitbox. And it's not like he can zone me.

DD-KF is in KF's favor. This MU is really scary if the KF player knows what he/she is doing. KF can literally punish anything DD does for tons of damage, its not even funny.
I've played against some really high level frosts, including PR Rog. The only reason I didn't put him in the title post is because it was online. I really don't think this match up is in anyone's favor. Every time she tries to start offense, I get pressure. So she has to try to lame me out, but I can just slowly push her to the corner. If I read a wake up slide, it's 35%+ corner carry. And if I get her in the corner it's like game over as long as I just use raw ES to avoid parry. The only time the match up gets tricky is when she starts resetting me without trait, but even then I still have wake ups and blocking. She can't do any air dash nonsense because I'll six frame air snatch that shit like there's no tomorrow. From all the posts in here it actually makes me feel like it's pretty even.

Also I don't know what kind of deathstrokes you guys are fighting, but he seriously does have way too many tools for that match up to be even.

SonicBoomBrad

All ive heard so far is too many tools, nothing else.

RiBBz22
Now that it's not 5am and I haven't been up all night, maybe I can write a more coherent response. Yes you can punish guns with venom from a certain position, but any good Deathstroke probably knows what that area is and won't try to zone you once you're in it. Once you do get in, you're not in a very good position, because he still has very good high/low pressure. If you grab all of his jump ins, it's not terrible, but that's not exactly realistic unless you're Tyrant. I'm getting there, but I'm not quite there yet. So if he hits you with a jump in and you guess wrong, you're taking 30% and going full screen. Now assuming that you do get in and knock him down, you put yourself in a 50-50 mix up on whether he's going to wake up or not. If he does, yes you get 35% or so with some corner carry. But the corner carry really doesn't matter because you have to respect his wake up no matter what. That's why I see it as a 6-4, because there isn't really a time in the match up where I feel like I have the upper hand. it very well could be a 5-5, but as or right now, I don't really see it as one. I would go for 5.5-4.5 in DS's favor if you really wanted to get technical. But I still don't think I'd call it a 5-5.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Now that it's not 5am and I haven't been up all night, maybe I can write a more coherent response. Yes you can punish guns with venom from a certain position, but any good Deathstroke probably knows what that area is and won't try to zone you once you're in it. Once you do get in, you're not in a very good position, because he still has very good high/low pressure. If you grab all of his jump ins, it's not terrible, but that's not exactly realistic unless you're Tyrant. I'm getting there, but I'm not quite there yet. So if he hits you with a jump in and you guess wrong, you're taking 30% and going full screen. Now assuming that you do get in and knock him down, you put yourself in a 50-50 mix up on whether he's going to wake up or not. If he does, yes you get 35% or so with some corner carry. But the corner carry really doesn't matter because you have to respect his wake up no matter what. That's why I see it as a 6-4, because there isn't really a time in the match up where I feel like I have the upper hand. it very well could be a 5-5, but as or right now, I don't really see it as one. I would go for 5.5-4.5 in DS's favor if you really wanted to get technical. But I still don't think I'd call it a 5-5.
The point is not punishing guns. The point is that all it takes is one gunshot and you're in. I've been trying to say this for 3 posts now...

I don't understand how exactly you're disadvantaged when you get in, DD is always + when he gets in with mb venom and when hes not he has excelent footsies with d1, sweep and f2. Its also not "some" corner carry when a basic bnb reaches from one corner to almost the next.

IDK about you but i dont let people jump in, i air snatch every single jump and if i know DS likes his f3 i air snatch that as well and that is online. its really not hard to air snatch when its 6f and fully invincible, this is basic stuff. like saying nobody but PL can spin people without it ever being able to be stuffed in mk9 when they jump.

I don't know how you view fighting games or matchups but when the rushdown character gets in as often as doomsday, the balls in your court. deathstroke is not this pressure machine that will kill you if you get in. Wakeups are wakeups. Your main point vs BAs wakeup was that youd stuff cage with f2, so you're telling me that you can't do that vs deathstroke after a venom knockdown? that you can't bait out wakeups or see that theyve risen without one and proceed to pressure? why the hell are you so afraid of a 7% spin? You can jump it, you can F2 it, you can whiff punish it, you can BAIT it. based on the fundamentals of doomsday you WANT them to be pressing buttons, thats how you get your damage, when people fuck up and you get in and you punish them for it and your trait compliments it. Hell, when traits up you dont even need to venom in, just dash.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
His backwards teleport is only punishable by a really well timed MB Supernova. Anything else and he can either block or DD runs into the invisible hitbox.
Wait. His tp has invisible walls despite being a wake up or not? If so thats troublesome. But even then DD can shut down his offense with d1's since it out ranges everything Shazam has. I will have to play the MU with Nivek more. But he hasnt given me trouble though and he abuses the hell out out of the back tp when we play.

Post edited.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
The point is not punishing guns. The point is that all it takes is one gunshot and you're in. I've been trying to say this for 3 posts now...

I don't understand how exactly you're disadvantaged when you get in, DD is always + when he gets in with mb venom and when hes not he has excelent footsies with d1, sweep and f2. Its also not "some" corner carry when a basic bnb reaches from one corner to almost the next.

IDK about you but i dont let people jump in, i air snatch every single jump and if i know DS likes his f3 i air snatch that as well and that is online. its really not hard to air snatch when its 6f and fully invincible, this is basic stuff. like saying nobody but PL can spin people without it ever being able to be stuffed in mk9 when they jump.

I don't know how you view fighting games or matchups but when the rushdown character gets in as often as doomsday, the balls in your court. deathstroke is not this pressure machine that will kill you if you get in. Wakeups are wakeups. Your main point vs BAs wakeup was that youd stuff cage with f2, so you're telling me that you can't do that vs deathstroke after a venom knockdown? that you can't bait out wakeups or see that theyve risen without one and proceed to pressure? why the hell are you so afraid of a 7% spin? You can jump it, you can F2 it, you can whiff punish it, you can BAIT it. based on the fundamentals of doomsday you WANT them to be pressing buttons, thats how you get your damage, when people fuck up and you get in and you punish them for it and your trait compliments it. Hell, when traits up you dont even need to venom in, just dash.
Pretty much, this. Especially against DS since all of his wake ups can be baited really easily. His spin is full combo punishable, his sword something move (cant remember the name) can be back dashed since it doesnt have good range at all, and punished. All of his other wake ups are beaten by d1xES. And even so after a knock down you can simply activate trait and from there you control the match. Its not about punishing the gun shots. Its about getting in and staying in, and that is easy as fuck, especially with DD. He shits bars for breakfast when he is in your face.

Imo though, i believe DD-DS is 5-5.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Wait. His tp has invisible walls despite being a wake up or not? If so thats troublesome. But even then DD can shut down his offense with d1's since it out ranges everything Shazam has. I will have to play the MU with Nivek more. But he hasnt given me trouble though and he abuses the hell out out of the back tp when we play.

Post edited.
it does

I think dd-ds closer to 4-6 than 5-5.

All talk about the zoning game aside, I haven't heard anyone talk about DS's forward 3 yet. The range of that move is just so obnoxious, and blocking it just gives DS a free mix up. Air Snatching DS whenever he jumps is a lot harder when you have to react to two things (jump and f3). Getting in against DS isn't hard, but getting in in a way that you're at an advantage so that you don't end up being threatened by f3? Not so easy. The fact that gun shots break ex venom armor is also huge.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I've played against some really high level frosts, including PR Rog. The only reason I didn't put him in the title post is because it was online. I really don't think this match up is in anyone's favor. Every time she tries to start offense, I get pressure. So she has to try to lame me out, but I can just slowly push her to the corner. If I read a wake up slide, it's 35%+ corner carry. And if I get her in the corner it's like game over as long as I just use raw ES to avoid parry. The only time the match up gets tricky is when she starts resetting me without trait, but even then I still have wake ups and blocking. She can't do any air dash nonsense because I'll six frame air snatch that shit like there's no tomorrow. From all the posts in here it actually makes me feel like it's pretty even.

Also I don't know what kind of deathstrokes you guys are fighting, but he seriously does have way too many tools for that match up to be even.

We are talking here about the tools each character has. Thats a MU discussion. At the highest lvl DD loses to KF and thats the point. And you cant spam ES's all day simply because she can easily do MB F3, wake up slide, or even jump, if KF believes you ll go for another ES. KF can pretty much, parry everything DD throws at her. Same with the Batman MU. Why you think DD loses to Batman, but not to KF, when KF can parry DD for almost 30% dmg to a vortex, she has as good mix ups as Bats (you have to constantly worry about low/overhead safe combo starters) and she is almost as fast as he is, is beyond me.

I dont know what kind of DS's you guys have over there, but with patience you can go even with him. His mix ups are good, but not that good. DD was winning against vanilla DS, so im pretty sure he can go even against him now.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I think dd-ds closer to 4-6 than 5-5.

All talk about the zoning game aside, I haven't heard anyone talk about DS's forward 3 yet. The range of that move is just so obnoxious, and blocking it just gives DS a free mix up. Air Snatching DS whenever he jumps is a lot harder when you have to react to two things (jump and f3). Getting in against DS isn't hard, but getting in in a way that you're at an advantage so that you don't end up being threatened by f3? Not so easy. The fact that gun shots break ex venom armor is also huge.
His F3 is really good yes, but if you can keep DS at d1 range it wont matter. He doesnt have anything better than DD's d1. And even if you get hit by his F3, the damage isnt anything to worry about. D1xx trait also really helps DD against him when up close, i saw no one mentioning that. You get free pressure and meter build afterwards.

The fact that gun shot can break the armor of MB Venom means nothing, cause DD will do MB Venom from full screen after blocking or avoiding the gun shot in order to get in.

SonicBoomBrad

We are talking here about the tools each character has. Thats a MU discussion. At the highest lvl DD loses to KF and thats the point. And you cant spam ES's all day simply because she can easily do MB F3, wake up slide, or even jump, if KF believes you ll go for another ES. KF can pretty much, parry everything DD throws at her. Same with the Batman MU. Why you think DD loses to Batman, but not to KF, when KF can parry DD for almost 30% dmg to a vortex, she has as good mix ups as Bats (you have to constantly worry about low/overhead safe combo starters) and she is almost as fast as he is, is beyond me.

I dont know what kind of DS's you guys have over there, but with patience you can go even with him. His mix ups are good, but not that good. DD was winning against vanilla DS, so im pretty sure he can go even against him now.
I put an asterisk by KF for a reason. I said I don't know the match up that well, but it's most definitely not in her favor. I don't spam ES all day. MB F3 costs a bar and is blockable, wake up slide is readable or a free d1 check if I block it while traited. Jump is easily reactable with air throw even if I'm crouch blocking. She can't parry raw earth shakers or throws, her parry is also baitable. Batman wins because he can easily zone Doomsday with batarangs/trait and b23. With an absolutely huge emphasis on b23. Not because of his rushdown, though that is what helps solidify the 7-3.

I've already explained my feelings on the Deathstroke match up several times. I feel like if both players are on the same level Deathstroke should win because he has better tools for every situation. I've already listed all these tools in previous posts. I don't feel like typing everything out again at 4am. There is also never a situation where I feel like I benefit more than deathstroke does. That being said the match up is winnable if you play properly. It's probably closer to a 5.5-4.5 in DS' favor.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I put an asterisk by KF for a reason. I said I don't know the match up that well, but it's most definitely not in her favor. I don't spam ES all day. MB F3 costs a bar and is blockable, wake up slide is readable or a free d1 check if I block it while traited. Jump is easily reactable with air throw even if I'm crouch blocking. She can't parry raw earth shakers or throws, her parry is also baitable. Batman wins because he can easily zone Doomsday with batarangs/trait and b23. With an absolutely huge emphasis on b23. Not because of his rushdown, though that is what helps solidify the 7-3.

I've already explained my feelings on the Deathstroke match up several times. I feel like if both players are on the same level Deathstroke should win because he has better tools for every situation. I've already listed all these tools in previous posts. I don't feel like typing everything out again at 4am. There is also never a situation where I feel like I benefit more than deathstroke does. That being said the match up is winnable if you play properly. It's probably closer to a 5.5-4.5 in DS' favor.
No, the DS matchup is not 5.5 in DS favour, it's that in your mind unless you can provide arguements, making a MU chart and saying "go to thread xx245454x" is simply not acceptable.

So you don't know the matchup but you say it's not in her favour? And that comes from what experience? Just the fact you think you can check her after slide with a mid D1 which can be parried for full combo into a coin flip situation shows you don't know the matchup. Yes, you can bait parry, but the recovery frames are 11. You will not punish that for full combo unless you're expecting it 100% and can just frame your S1. You need to D1 shake it which is not a real punish for something that punishes you for 33% into a 50/50 that is unseeable. Meanwhile, she gets to make you delay, she gets to open you up for all sorts of shit when you're unable to even D1 shake after MB venom or throw ( parry catches this )

Our KF experience comes from someone who played SF since about 1992-1993 or so, has played Tekken, Soul calibur, Mortal kombat, KOF and many other games as well as having been on foreign tournaments multiple times over the years and Metzos has been playing against him twice/thrice a week or so for hours ever since launch. We know what she can do, we know what DD can do. We know how this game works and we know how to break down matchups. This MU is not even.

Yes, slide is readable, yes, parry is readable. So are you. If you rely on reads 100% of the time when DDs entry and spacing moves are designed for him to have a frame or spacing advantage for almost foolproof safe shit then you got a problem because a character restricts you. Just the fact you can only "safely" sweep after MB venom and even that is punishable speaks for itself.

And no. Batman wins because of trait and parry, zoning is good but irrelevant if you could get in without him having a trait or a parry.

Crathen

Death is my business

Take it for what it is ( online ) but i think it'll give you an idea why zoning with DS won't keep out DD for long , as i already said i'm finding new things in this MU and i hope to get a few sets up in the future.

SonicBoomBrad

No, the DS matchup is not 5.5 in DS favour, it's that in your mind unless you can provide arguements, making a MU chart and saying "go to thread xx245454x" is simply not acceptable.
I've said my reasoning about 100 times in this thread. I don't feel like I should have to keep typing it out. I say the match up is 6-4 in DS favor. That could easily change with time. But until I play Aris again I'm not going to change my mind. It's ok to have a different opinion from me.

So you don't know the matchup but you say it's not in her favour? And that comes from what experience? Just the fact you think you can check her after slide with a mid D1 which can be parried for full combo into a coin flip situation shows you don't know the matchup. Yes, you can bait parry, but the recovery frames are 11. You will not punish that for full combo unless you're expecting it 100% and can just frame your S1. You need to D1 shake it which is not a real punish for something that punishes you for 33% into a 50/50 that is unseeable. Meanwhile, she gets to make you delay, she gets to open you up for all sorts of shit when you're unable to even D1 shake after MB venom or throw ( parry catches this )
After a slide it's a 50/50 situation for both players. That's not advantageous to either player, unless I have trait, in which case it's better for me. I don't have to bait parry because raw ES beats it. And even if I do bait it, I can punish with d1 venom, which is still a 7 frame punish and not at all a just frame, and I get corner carry. She doesn't get to open me up at all as long as my defense is solid. After venom I can always get a raw ES unless she backdashes or jumps, in which case it's a read that I'm used to from every other match up in the game. It's very similar to the wonder woman match up except for the fact that frost has much slower mobility, and less wake up options. Which makes my pressure more effective and is why I called it a 5-5. And until I fight a Frost that can show me the match up is significantly in her favor, I'm going to stand by the fact that it's probably a 5-5.

And no. Batman wins because of trait and parry, zoning is good but irrelevant if you could get in without him having a trait or a parry.
Doomsday with batarangs/trait and b23. With an absolutely huge emphasis on b23. Not because of his rushdown, though that is what helps solidify the 7-3.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!

About KF we ll just have to agree to disagree then. You have to understand though, that her wake up options are much better than Batman's, safer and lead to tons of damage.

About Batman, yes his B23 is godlike, but i m worried about the parry more. If Batman starts spamming B23 against DD, a well timed back dash to MB Venom can and will blow him up. DD is a rush down character and the fact that he cant pressure Batman cause of his 1 frame parry, even with trait, is ridiculous. The only reason this MU is not 8-2 Batman is because Batman has shitty wake ups, which DD can take advantage of ( see my http://testyourmight.com/threads/doomsdays-anti-wake-up-game.34456/ thread for more info).