What's new

Dark Souls REMASTERED Discussion (OUT NOW!)

Steven_a

Light Bringer
Nah you probably weren't underleveled. The Undead Giants hit fucking hard and can 1-2 shot you, especially in defiled dungeons.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Spoke too soon on the bosses. Fought I believe the “undead giant” in one of the chalice dungeons. The one that halfway through the fight, uses the chains in its back. Dude was one shotting me, took me like 10 tries to kill him. He wasn’t really “hard” naturally, it’s just he was hitting me once and killing me. I guess that means I was underleveled, but who knows.
I think it means you're playing a DS game.

For reals probably just under levelled.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Network Test available for PS4 and XB1, download the client now before May 8th. Servers will be live from May 11th - May 12th.

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
The remaster is all well and good but the fact that they didnt touch any problem areas, namely Lost Izalith and The Bed of Chaos, AND are expecting 40 dollars for it is disappointing. May as well just stick to playing Bloodborne at this point.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The remaster is all well and good but the fact that they didnt touch any problem areas, namely Lost Izalith and The Bed of Chaos, AND are expecting 40 dollars for it is disappointing. May as well just stick to playing Bloodborne at this point.
Well I know they, supposedly, fixed the FPS issues in places like Blighttown.

Anyway, I’m actually pretty excited for this now that I thought about it. Like even if everything is exactly the same (which we know it won’t be), at the very LEAST, DS1 PvP will be highly active once again. I kinda missed the window for when it was super popular. I still played a bunch of PvP, just never experienced DS1 where a crap ton of people were playing.

Looking forward to making my MLGS, Claymore and Katana builds.

Eldagrin

Well I know they, supposedly, fixed the FPS issues in places like Blighttown.

Anyway, I’m actually pretty excited for this now that I thought about it. Like even if everything is exactly the same (which we know it won’t be), at the very LEAST, DS1 PvP will be highly active once again. I kinda missed the window for when it was super popular. I still played a bunch of PvP, just never experienced DS1 where a crap ton of people were playing.

Looking forward to making my MLGS, Claymore and Katana builds.
As long as they dont touch stuff like toggle escapes, dead angles, backstab escapes, ghost kicks, etc. the PvP should be good for sure.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I'm a bit more interested now that previous owners get half price. May as well give this a rub through I think

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
As long as they dont touch stuff like toggle escapes, dead angles, backstab escapes, ghost kicks, etc. the PvP should be good for sure.
It would benefit a lot if they fixed some of the broken aspects of PvP. Like decreased the back stab window significantly. It’s super unsafe to swing most weapons even ONCE if you don’t have it perfectly spaced out. They can literally just walk through your attack with poise and back stab you before you even recover from ONE attack. Since you don’t have to be directly behind them, you can backstab so easily in DS1. Some smaller quicker weapons like the Falchion can swing safely though, which is a big reason the Falchion was so good, plus the fact that the weapon is just great overall in PvP, especially with weapon buffs.

Dead angles are awesome, especially with the Claymore, imo. Dead angles was actually my favorite DS1 PvP mechanic, really really hope it returns.

Didn’t hear about toggle escapes until I pretty much quit the game, so if it stays I’ll have to learn that.

I really hope you can still weapon and ring swap. That stuff was great and took skill.

Idk what you mean by backstab escapes or ghost kicks though.

Eldagrin

It would benefit a lot if they fixed some of the broken aspects of PvP. Like decreased the back stab window significantly. It’s super unsafe to swing most weapons even ONCE if you don’t have it perfectly spaced out. They can literally just walk through your attack with poise and back stab you before you even recover from ONE attack. Since you don’t have to be directly behind them, you can backstab so easily in DS1. Some smaller quicker weapons like the Falchion can swing safely though, which is a big reason the Falchion was so good, plus the fact that the weapon is just great overall in PvP, especially with weapon buffs.

Dead angles are awesome, especially with the Claymore, imo. Dead angles was actually my favorite DS1 PvP mechanic, really really hope it returns.

Didn’t hear about toggle escapes until I pretty much quit the game, so if it stays I’ll have to learn that.

I really hope you can still weapon and ring swap. That stuff was great and took skill.

Idk what you mean by backstab escapes or ghost kicks though.
Backstab escapes aren't a guaranteed thing due to latency, but dedicated servers may make them more reliable.

Eldagrin

Perfect Blocking also makes high recovery weapons and strong dead angle weapons more dangerous to use, which also makes backstab escape a useful skill to know.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
It would benefit a lot if they fixed some of the broken aspects of PvP. Like decreased the back stab window significantly. It’s super unsafe to swing most weapons even ONCE if you don’t have it perfectly spaced out. They can literally just walk through your attack with poise and back stab you before you even recover from ONE attack.
I strongly disagree. One of the main reasons DaS1 PvP was so good was the multiple options everyone had. It wasn't just rock paper scissors, but so many variables contributed to your success. The PvP never got stale for me and a big portion of the PvP community, but people did eventually move on to dark souls 2, bloodborne and darksouls3 till the PvP inevitably died out.

Backstabs were always perfectly avoidable (except in severe lag vs Japanese players) and counter able with reversal backstab, BS parry, BS escape (random), poise break, spacing, playing randomly, etc etc. it made the PvP game so not linear as the later installments started to become.

Totally, backstabs were the meta, but with all the options to counter it eventually became high risk high reward. Over committing to a backstab meant you'd get backstabbed first. The meta eventually reset more to the spacing game and catching your opponent off guard to get in the backstab. It was Fromsoft PvP at its finest.

Last edited:

Eldagrin

I strongly disagree. One of the main reasons DaS1 PvP was so good was the multiple options everyone had. It wasn't just rock paper scissors, but so many variables contributed to your success. The PvP never got stale for me and a big portion of the PvP community, but people did eventually move on to dark souls 2, bloodborne and darksouls3 till the PvP inevitably died out.

Backstabs were always perfectly avoidable (except in severe lag vs Japanese players) and counter able with reversal backstab, BS parry, BS escape (random), poise break, spacing, playing randomly, etc etc. it made the PvP game so not linear as the later installments started to become.

Totally, backstabs were the meta, but with all the options to counter it eventually became high risk high reward. Over committing to a backstab meant you'd get backstabbed first. The meta eventually reset more to the spacing game and catching your opponent off guard to get in the backstab. It was Fromsoft PvP at its finest.
I agree, all of the options you had made the PvP robust even if they were bugs, it really added a ton of depth and longevity to the game and meta in general.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
I agree, all of the options you had made the PvP robust even if they were bugs, it really added a ton of depth and longevity to the game and meta in general.
As a friend of mine and avid Dark Souls 1 PvP'r used to say. Dark Souls PvP was all a beautiful mistake.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

There’s literally zero risk in poise tanking a single attack and backstabbing them before they can recover. I mean you take damage from the attack, but as long as you’re not low on health that shouldn’t matter. Your backstab will either one shot them or at least do significantly more than their one attack.

A lot of the notable good PvP’ers in DS1 have said the same thing, backstabs are a huge issue when the window is so large and how good poise is in DS1. I’m not even counting lagstabs because those SHOULD get better with dedicated servers.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
There’s literally zero risk in poise tanking a single attack and backstabbing them before they can recover. I mean you take damage from the attack, but as long as you’re not low on health that shouldn’t matter. Your backstab will either one shot them or at least do significantly more than their one attack.

A lot of the notable good PvP’ers in DS1 have said the same thing, backstabs are a huge issue when the window is so large and how good poise is in DS1. I’m not even counting lagstabs because those SHOULD get better with dedicated servers.
This isn't exactly true. If you damage them as they backstab you, you get knocked into the backstab animation but take no damage. You can do it really consistently if you know they are fishing. I used a setup that guaranteed a longsword r2 hit to knock me out of the back stab, and that was pretty chunky damage.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This isn't exactly true. If you damage them as they backstab you, you get knocked into the backstab animation but take no damage. You can do it really consistently if you know they are fishing. I used a setup that guaranteed a longsword r2 hit to knock me out of the back stab, and that was pretty chunky damage.
It’s true on the majority of attacks, not on quick smaller weapons, like I said. Guys, this is a big reason why DS1 PvP died. This is a big reason why not many want to go back to it after playing better PvP with DS2 and DS3.

wsj515

It’s true on the majority of attacks, not on quick smaller weapons, like I said. Guys, this is a big reason why DS1 PvP died. This is a big reason why not many want to go back to it after playing better PvP with DS2 and DS3.
Again, that's not true, particularly if you played unlocked. You could do it with pretty much any weapon. I don't know who you are referencing when you say that people don't want to go back to DS1 pvp. Hopefully its not people like peeve and the other big name streamers of the time, because most of them really weren't that good. DS2 and 3 pvp is incredibly boring in comparison. Now don't take this the wrong way, but if you didn't know what toggle escaping was for the majority of the game's life span, then that tells me you really didn't have a full grasp of the pvp, as it was such an integral mechanic.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Again, that's not true, particularly if you played unlocked. You could do it with pretty much any weapon. I don't know who you are referencing when you say that people don't want to go back to DS1 pvp. Hopefully its not people like peeve and the other big name streamers of the time, because most of them really weren't that good. DS2 and 3 pvp is incredibly boring in comparison. Now don't take this the wrong way, but if you didn't know what toggle escaping was for the majority of the game's life span, then that tells me you really didn't have a full grasp of the pvp, as it was such an integral mechanic.
I wasn’t around for the majority of the games lifespan, didn’t start even playing DS1 until a month or so before DS2 came out. I do know what toggle escaping is, I never got to use it and in turn learn it though, didn’t need it.

DS2 PvP was the best to me, even though it’s imo the worst overall Souls game. The power stances alone added a lot of variety and depth, not to mention that you could actually be a mage/pyro/faith build and do well in PvP. Which, you can in DS1 as well.

I would love to play all of you professional DS1 PvP’ers though. I definitely don’t claim to be a top DS1 PvP’er, but a lot of the problems with it are blatantly obvious.

wsj515

I wasn’t around for the majority of the games lifespan, didn’t start even playing DS1 until a month or so before DS2 came out. I do know what toggle escaping is, I never got to use it and in turn learn it though, didn’t need it.

DS2 PvP was the best to me, even though it’s imo the worst overall Souls game. The power stances alone added a lot of variety and depth, not to mention that you could actually be a mage/pyro/faith build and do well in PvP. Which, you can in DS1 as well.

I would love to play all of you professional DS1 PvP’ers though. I definitely don’t claim to be a top DS1 PvP’er, but a lot of the problems with it are blatantly obvious.
This was my point with toggle escape - I wasn't saying you were *bad* for not knowing about it, more so that you just haven't spent enough time playing DS1 to really understand it. A lot of the problems you perceive aren't really a big deal once you get comfortable with all of the buggy intricacies.

Casting builds were at their best in DS1 with unlocked play, all spells are aimed so much more intuitively, and you can fake cast, juke, etc. There are layers upon layers of tech that give players so much creative freedom. Even just general weapon play had way more complexity than the later titles.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This was my point with toggle escape - I wasn't saying you were *bad* for not knowing about it, more so that you just haven't spent enough time playing DS1 to really understand it. A lot of the problems you perceive aren't really a big deal once you get comfortable with all of the buggy intricacies.

Casting builds were at their best in DS1 with unlocked play, all spells are aimed so much more intuitively, and you can fake cast, juke, etc. There are layers upon layers of tech that give players so much creative freedom. Even just general weapon play had way more complexity than the later titles.
Well the only problem I have with DS1 PvP is backstabs being too good. That plus poise (which I love poise, real poise, DS1 poise) makes the backstabs just that much better. But like, if you’re getting ganked, you can’t really do many setups or really play your game. Obviously in duels it’s fine, but fighting gankers in DS1 is extra difficult because of that reason. Shit in a duel at SL 120 or so you can pretty much use whatever weapon or build you want and do well with it. But invasions, for me, were almost never a 1v1 unless it was a fight club or something.

Anyway, to change topics a bit, what were your favorite or go to builds? My main 3 ones were MLGS, Claymore and a Katana build. The MLGS/Claymore, again to me, have some of the best dead angles in the game. Also the fact that you get the Claymore so early makes it that much more fun and easier to make a build around.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
Anyway, to change topics a bit, what were your favorite or go to builds? My main 3 ones were MLGS, Claymore and a Katana build. The MLGS/Claymore, again to me, have some of the best dead angles in the game. Also the fact that you get the Claymore so early makes it that much more fun and easier to make a build around.
Claymore + rapier was my weapon of choice either on midroll poise tank or low 33 poise DWGR, though I enjoyed the quelaag fury sword too (can't wait to burn fools with it again).

Eldagrin

Well the only problem I have with DS1 PvP is backstabs being too good. That plus poise (which I love poise, real poise, DS1 poise) makes the backstabs just that much better. But like, if you’re getting ganked, you can’t really do many setups or really play your game. Obviously in duels it’s fine, but fighting gankers in DS1 is extra difficult because of that reason. Shit in a duel at SL 120 or so you can pretty much use whatever weapon or build you want and do well with it. But invasions, for me, were almost never a 1v1 unless it was a fight club or something.

I’ve always loved the Great Scythe, it’s so good for dead angles, normally ran it with a rapier. DWGR was usually my ring of choice. Claymore with the Gold Tracer too.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I really hope I can remember one of my old builds, at least, the armor I had. It looked good, but it also gave me the right amount if poise AND was perfect equip load. I know at least one of the pieces was a hollow piece, and I think the helmet might’ve been the gargoyle helm, but not sure.

Really interested to see how the network test is. Will we have free roam of the entire game? I doubt it since it was only like 3GB’s, must be limited to a couple of areas. But are we at the beginning, already SL120, etc? Never done one of these before so idk what to expect.