What's new

Guide Cyber Sub-Zero Q&A: Ask a Question, Get an Answer

So really thats their only purpose? Can you do the stuff cyrax does wit his bombs?
Im not gonna lie, I never use them but I want to
Yea he has a few bomb traps, if that's what you're asking. The main one is u.4~medium bomb, dash, 2,1,1+2 (bomb explodes)~dash~u.4~slide. He also has a trap that involves 2 separate bombs but to be honest I don't use it

what's the best option to getting your opponent to the corner?
forward 4, the slide pushes people pretty far... or back into a corner and exslide.. teleport.so many ways plus most of his strings you can end with a slide so really by the time someone gets in the corner they should be almost dead..

Hey guys I'm trying to learn CSZ but his playstlye feels weird after playing smoke, and reg sub for so long. So can anyone help we with what I should do as an offensive CSZ player. Once i get in close im just lost on what to do. Should i use block strings or what? And also when should i use bombs and ice ball? Sorry for all the questions but I'm being shut down online.

Hey guys I'm trying to learn CSZ but his playstlye feels weird after playing smoke, and reg sub for so long. So can anyone help we with what I should do as an offensive CSZ player. Once i get in close im just lost on what to do. Should i use block strings or what? And also when should i use bombs and ice ball? Sorry for all the questions but I'm being shut down online.
Ok so there are a few key things to keep in mind when playing Cyber Sub.

1) Know when you dive kicks can and cannot be punished (i.e. Kung Lao can beat dive kick cleanly with a Spin into combo, Ermac can punish on block with a Lift into combo, Reptile can Elbow Dash for 11%, Shang Tsung can do nothing about it, Scorpion can't punish you safely, etc.). Be sure to aim low, like waist-level or below, to maximize the dive kick's safety. Use this as a way to get in freely in certain match-ups, or as an anti-zone punishing tool (umping over projectiles).

2) Utilize the 211+2 string. Condition the opponent to block all 3 hits (plus an instant dive kick if it's safe). Then, do 21 into cross-up jump punch or simply loop the 21. Pressure with this to build meter, and throw in 33, 332 and 34 (34 is slight advantage on block). Mix all of this up with throws and you have a complete pressure game. When 33 low hits, confirm into EX ice beam, then do jump-in punch, 211+2~dash~u.4~slide for 40%. If 34 hits, you can slide for 20% or dash into b.22~slide for 26%. If a 21 happens to hit, confirm into regular ice ball and jump-in punch, 211+2~dash~u.4~slide for 40% also.

3) As a general rule, just about every character in the game can out-zone you due to the slow start-up and long recovery of ice ball. You can throw ice ball out from a distance after you knock the opponent down and force them to block it. But randomly throwing it out in a projectile war will not go too well in some match-ups (i.e. Reptile, Smoke, Kabal, Kitana, Kung Lao, etc.). However, EX ice beam is a great tool when you are losing a zoning war. When it hits, teleport or dash over and go into jump-in punch, 211+2~dash~u.4~slide for 35%.

4) Ice bombs are similar, in that they are fairly slow to come out and have small blast radii. Throwing these as a zoning tool is pretty match-up specific (i.e. against a character without a teleport, Sub-Zero specifically comes to mind). Similar to the ice ball situation, the EX bombs provide a great tool. All 3 bombs come out, and you opponent is forced to jump (unless they have a teleport). When they jump, use a well-placed air to air kick or dive kick (or both), and sometime you will hit them down onto an exploding bomb. When an opponent is frozen by a bomb, dash in and do 34, dash, b.22~slide for 31%. Outside of all this, Cyber Sub has a bomb trap that can do upwards of 50%. There is an entire thread on this, but if you are not familiar with it I will put the inputs here. Jump-in punch~u.4~mid-bomb, dash, 211+2~dash~u.4~slide will do around 54%.

I hope all this helps, and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for all the help but i have a few more questions...

One, how do you land the u4 after the 211+2?

Also how do you keep in on an opponent after you get close and start applying pressure?

Finally, whats the best xray combo?

Sorry for all the questions again.

Thanks for all the help but i have a few more questions...

One, how do you land the u4 after the 211+2?

Also how do you keep in on an opponent after you get close and start applying pressure?

Finally, whats the best xray combo?

Sorry for all the questions again.
1) Landing the u.4 after 211+2 is a bit tricky at first. Try to dash immediately after the ice sword makes contact with the opponent's chest, then input the u.4 and slide with no pauses.

2) Cyber Sub is great at staying in once he gets there. When doing 21 and looping the string, there is no push-back so you will stay right in your opponent's face. Cross-up jump punches work great for keeping pressure if your opponent tries to down poke out of it. Also, doing 21 into a d.3 or d.1 into another 21 works well sometimes. The good thing is, you never have to dash to maintain pressure.

3) The easiest X-Ray combo mid-screen is jump-in punch~21~ice ball, jump-in punch~b.32, X-Ray for 48%. You can also do 211+2, X-Ray after the jump-in punch for 52% but it's a stricter combo. In the corner, there are several combos you can do. The one I usually do is 21~ice ball, back dash, jump-in punch~211+2, njp, 211+2, jump back kick~X-Ray for 54%.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I love how cyber sub can now choose his alt 1 costume the dark blue is so cool. His mk3 costume is just like mk3 cyrax and sector, but it is blue. I think the blue looks better than the others. (thats just my opinion.) AWESOME!!!!!

galindo

Noob
are people aware about the bomb parry glitch?

i did this yesterday, i placed a close bomb on a knocked down reptile, i parry his wake up dash but the bomb explodes before the parry animations finish.

he gets knocked down and damage from the bomb, and immediately after he gets up the parry attack registers and knocks him back down again and he takes damage

are people aware about the bomb parry glitch?

i did this yesterday, i placed a close bomb on a knocked down reptile, i parry his wake up dash but the bomb explodes before the parry animations finish.

he gets knocked down and damage from the bomb, and immediately after he gets up the parry attack registers and knocks him back down again and he takes damage
It's known.

Aboolayla

Come At Me Bro
Im honestly way to lazy to check other posts sorry but I have some questions and was hoping the CSZ community could help me.

1) What can I use the bombs for because they seem like just gimmicks. What I mean is what kind of traps can i create or how can they be used in combos.

2) What are some good ways to create pressure and also effectively stop pressure too if there is.

3) What strings do I use to get in or do I just use divekicks and his really fast dash.

4) What is the best way to play him ( rushdown, turtle etc.)

5) Finally what are some safe strings or safe anything i can use.

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it!

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Im honestly way to lazy to check other posts sorry but I have some questions and was hoping the CSZ community could help me.

1) What can I use the bombs for because they seem like just gimmicks. What I mean is what kind of traps can i create or how can they be used in combos.

2) What are some good ways to create pressure and also effectively stop pressure too if there is.

3) What strings do I use to get in or do I just use divekicks and his really fast dash.

4) What is the best way to play him ( rushdown, turtle etc.)

5) Finally what are some safe strings or safe anything i can use.

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it!
dash in w 2,1 and 2,1 1+2 pressure. Both are safe on block and be followed instantly w slide.

He's purely rush down, his zoning is awful imo and zoning 100% w him will never win u a match

ex bomb to ex freeze = guarenteed freeze

ex bomb to bait a jk dive kick is nice

JIP, u4 bomb cancel close or medium creates resets and traps

in the corner if you land 2,1 1+2 do two NJ after that step back close bomb, then dash forward and parry or do another 2,1 1+2 or 3,4

worst matchups: Kit and kabal and a strong Lao

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Why can reptile, kabal, and kung lao all punish csz for using f1 4 to end his 2,1,2+1 string?
Because NRS don't consider my point of adding a dive kick option to the end of his :l:bp:bk string a possibility or an even an educated idea. His juggle combos are a mix of rubbish, and have only come good because of the ''find'' by Check4900 months after the game came out with :u:bk into slide.

Cyber needs :l:bp:bk Dive kick to make sence of any ground space control or juggle combo finishes.

Aboolayla

Come At Me Bro
worst matchups: Kit and kabal and a strong Lao
LOL ill tell you the truth your CSZ made me want to pick him up. And im honestly loving him hes a blast like in all in one kung sub cyrax baby with sektor mobility. Which is awesome. Thanks btw maybe we can rematch sometime.

Because NRS don't consider my point of adding a dive kick option to the end of his :l:bp:bk string a possibility or an even an educated idea. His juggle combos are a mix of rubbish, and have only come good because of the ''find'' by Check4900 months after the game came out with :u:bk into slide.

Cyber needs :l:bp:bk Dive kick to make sence of any ground space control or juggle combo finishes.
Thanks...

I'm having a problem with the retro CSZ costume. Every time I try to do his x-ray it throws out a kick first even when I didn't press kick first and it is really ruining my timing on stuff.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
How much did the dash change affect CSZ's game?
Also is dash in d+3's more viable now cuz of the reduced negative edge?

I've been messing around with doing a teleport after 3,3,2 as it leaves you on the other side of the guy as they are getting up. So far I've just been getting crossover punches and dive kicks afterwards but was curious if anyone else out there was doing this and what they did to follow up. I havnen't tried it in a fight too much yet (I don't have anyone to train with or whatever) and wanna make sure I'm not setting myself up to eat a smackdown sandwich.