What's new

Guide Cyber Sub-Zero Q&A: Ask a Question, Get an Answer

Error Macro

It April yet?
Does he have any other overheads?
His 3,4 is good because he has a 3,3,2 and that is one of his best pokes, and the second hit lands low. So when you start with 3 you can go into 4 for the overhead or another 3 for a low. Pretty nice actually.

But the only other things he has that hits overhead that i know of is his Enhanced Dive kick. Hits three times with the second being an overhead as well

AnaboliChris

Master of Magnetism
What's the most damaging thing you can do after you block a teleport punch from Scorpion, Ermac, etc.?
Someone correct me if im wrong but I think you can actually wait out the barrell roll that they do after you block their teleport punch and as soon as they hit the ground you can start the combo.

Someone correct me if im wrong but I think you can actually wait out the barrell roll that they do after you block their teleport punch and as soon as they hit the ground you can start the combo.
Yea actually I think you're right, but when playing online the lag usually won't let me do what i want to do, so it's a lot safer to hit them as they are still in the air.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Yea actually I think you're right, but when playing online the lag usually won't let me do what i want to do, so it's a lot safer to hit them as they are still in the air.
Best one in my experience online and off is 2,1 ice ball. If you happen to catch them in the air it's safest to follow up with 3,4 slide, but otherwise just do a jumpin combo to launch

Error Macro

It April yet?
how do his bombs work? only about 20% of the time will they freeze my opponent
The guy can't be in what is called vulnerable frames as you throw it out. Him on the ground, getting up, in blockstun and hitstun all count.

Say you throw a far bomb and uppercut him back into it. It will freeze him cause nothing was going on when you threw the bomb.
Now say you uppercut him and throw the bomb as he is getting up. That wont work because he is getting up as the bomb is coming out.

Samsung Crunchy

Studying all of her moves
From what I've seen, Cyber Sub has a lot of kool abilities (dive kick, bombs, tele etc.) but he doesn't seem to excel at anything really. His game appears to rushdown with aspects of a zoning character in his specials. Normal Sub just seems to excel at preying on opponents impatience.

Is Cyber Sub worth maining when all of this taken into consideration?

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
From what I've seen, Cyber Sub has a lot of kool abilities (dive kick, bombs, tele etc.) but he doesn't seem to excel at anything really. His game appears to rushdown with aspects of a zoning character in his specials. Normal Sub just seems to excel at preying on opponents impatience.

Is Cyber Sub worth maining when all of this taken into consideration?
Aside from Johnny Cage Cyber Sub is probably the best rushdown character in the game. He does excel at that. The pressure he can put on someone with 3,4/3,3,2/2,1,2+1 not to mention a shockingly safe dive kick.

His bombs and tele are really the odd ones out although as Brady showed on last weeks stream they can set up really nasty corner traps and ex-bombs force a jump which you can then freeze for a combo or slide as anti-air.

Teleport is less useful since bombs already give you answers to a zoned who camps on one spot but it can be okay as a once in a while thing.

Also don't disparage ice parry it's not Johnny Cage x-ray good but it can discourage wake ups late jump ins etc. And for one meter you can make it grant you a full combo.

kisan

Noob
The guy can't be in what is called vulnerable frames as you throw it out. Him on the ground, getting up, in blockstun and hitstun all count.

Say you throw a far bomb and uppercut him back into it. It will freeze him cause nothing was going on when you threw the bomb.
Now say you uppercut him and throw the bomb as he is getting up. That wont work because he is getting up as the bomb is coming out.
I still have my opponent not freeze even when I'm not pressuring. we'll both be full screen, i'll throw a full screen bomb and it will hit him and still not freeze him 100%. It looks like if the opponent is doing anything at all it doesn't freeze. I've even gone into training mode and set the ai to "duck" and throw just a bomb on him, 50% of the time it won't freeze

edit: well never mind about the ducking, I was throwing bombs out before he got back up. I also usually throw ice balls before the bomb so my friend would have been in block stun when I threw the bomb.

I used the parry against a low attack of some sort a few days ago. I forget whether it was a low kick or a sweep or a low jab, but I used the normal parry and got the 8% counter-hit. Are we positive of the parry's properties? Maybe I was seeing things, but I seem to remember a low hit activating it.

kisan

Noob
I used the parry against a low attack of some sort a few days ago. I forget whether it was a low kick or a sweep or a low jab, but I used the normal parry and got the 8% counter-hit. Are we positive of the parry's properties? Maybe I was seeing things, but I seem to remember a low hit activating it.
I just tried parrying CSZs and liu kangs b3(both start low and are combo starters) and it worked. So it looks like the only things that don't get parried are d3, d4

edit:
I just tried parrying a sweep too, you can parry those as well

edit2:
was testing liu kangs parry and it will not parry ANYTHING that hits low. Makes me wonder if CSZs parry was intentionally made this way. seems too good to be true

Error Macro

It April yet?
I just tried parrying CSZs and liu kangs b3(both start low and are combo starters) and it worked. So it looks like the only things that don't get parried are d3, d4

edit:
I just tried parrying a sweep too, you can parry those as well

edit2:
was testing liu kangs parry and it will not parry ANYTHING that hits low. Makes me wonder if CSZs parry was intentionally made this way.
Yea CSZ's parry will get beat by lows and X-rays. I don't know about moves with one hit of armor, though. Have yet to test that out

kisan

Noob
Yea CSZ's parry will get beat by lows and X-rays. I don't know about moves with one hit of armor, though. Have yet to test that out
I posted that his parry WORKS against a lot of lows, the only lows that it won't parry are d3 and d4

edit: well now I'm just confused. his parry works on liu kangs sweep, but not on scorpions. didn't bother testing other character sweeps but this is looking like a bug.

I posted that his parry WORKS against a lot of lows, the only lows that it won't parry are d3 and d4

edit: well now I'm just confused. his parry works on liu kangs sweep, but not on scorpions. didn't bother testing other character sweeps but this is looking like a bug.
hmmmm, interesting. but is the bug that the parry works, or is it that it doesn't work?

Can you perform a slide after the 3,4?
Was trying earlier and could not get it to work
Yeah, you can. You can't buffer it though, there is a slight delay between ending the string and inputting the slide command. If you want you can hold the 4, wait a split second until after it hits, input the back-forward, then release the 4.

Yeah, you can. You can't buffer it though, there is a slight delay between ending the string and inputting the slide command. If you want you can hold the 4, wait a split second until after it hits, input the back-forward, then release the 4.
I appreciate the help... i finally got it!
I think that is the first time the negative edge in this game did something good for me.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Whats the most damaging combo any of you have done with csub? In a regular fight I can land a 30% combo with 1,1, freeze ball, 2,1,2+1, dash, toward+1, 4. The timing on the last two hits has to be spot on, basically if you're off the second kick from his awkward splits kick will miss and you'll lose 3% I believe. I've also done 44% with his xray, but I'm wondering if anyone has gotten creative with an air punch/dive kick to the ground to follow up with a juggle before the opponent hits the ground.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Few quick questions I haven't been able to find the answers for:

Is sub-zero's dive kick safe on block (if it is punished by what moves)? EX too?

Is his teleport punishable on reaction? (i.e. fast jab before CSZ recovers)

Is there a delay in CSZ's parry where he can be hit high before he recovers to block?

Thanks for any info you guys can provide. I've been messing around with CSZ and taking a liking to him, hope to make him one of my mains now.

I really wish the training mode was more robust so I could test these things out myself.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Few quick questions I haven't been able to find the answers for:

Is sub-zero's dive kick safe on block (if it is punished by what moves)? EX too?
It is unsafe on block, but if you hit below the head (Chest or lower) it can only be punished by fast specials. Meaning only Ermac and a couple others can punish with full combo. Ex divekick is safe.

Is his teleport punishable on reaction? (i.e. fast jab before CSZ recovers)
Yes. His teleport is slow, only use it to get in on predictable zoning.

Is there a delay in CSZ's parry where he can be hit high before he recovers to block?
Maybe? It looks like it, but I've never seen it happen, it seems like a pretty small window if it's there.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
How effective is CSZ at using his parry, and how much damage can he get off of it using the infinite parry glitch to cancel the animation after the opponent is frozen?

Anyone know if Cyber is getting anything with the upcoming patch? I know alot of other characters are getting nerfed and buffed but havn't heard anything for Cyber yet.