What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Could Sub-Zero's sinister-sounding voice be a viable factor as to who he is?

Yes it is so, he wears a yellow Lin Kuei suit to mock them as cowards for killing his clan and family.

As many stated before, he wears the yellow colors because the creator of his clan, chose this specific outfit to mock the Lin Kuei when he left. That happened a long before Scorpion's family and clan was murdered.

But it's split the fan base so much. I think what NRS did in mk9 was genius. If both continue, bi han should be noob saibot, kuai liang should be a cyber robot and have a new Sub-Zero ( Not Hydro )

I think fans from both sides will be disappointed if they ever see Cyber SZ again, and also if a new person wears the mantle.
As I said before, if they keep changing the character behind Subzero, he will lose his importance in the future. And then we all gonna cry!

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
From the old timeline. In new timeline maybe yellow is his favorite colour?
Timeline was split during MK1 timeline. I don't think that earlier events are affected in any way, unless one of fan theories is correct and Raiden isn't the only one who can mess with the timeline (it was suggested to explain appearance of Quan Chi, other Lin Quei and outworld lackeys in MK9 version of MK1 events, rather than sticking to "it was in MK1 version as well, just happened off-screen").

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You guys still think its Bi Han?

Lol, noobde already said that sub zero is a legacy name, there is a lot of subzeros in the linkuei, and he will explain in the story.

Bi-Han is noob saibot, and always will be

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
source pls.
He actually said it more than once, I suppose.
Besides, it was known that Bi-Han was fifth since long before. I think I can search for original source, but someone will probably do it sooner than I'll be able to dedicate myself to that today.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
@Eddy Wang is right. I distinctly remember Ed saying, and I quote, "There are a sea of Sub-Zeros". As for which interview...there's only 4 with any information in them so start there

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Timeline was split during MK1 timeline. I don't think that earlier events are affected in any way, unless one of fan theories is correct and Raiden isn't the only one who can mess with the timeline (it was suggested to explain appearance of Quan Chi, other Lin Quei and outworld lackeys in MK9 version of MK1 events, rather than sticking to "it was in MK1 version as well, just happened off-screen").
Mess with timeline.... Raiden. Maybe ElderGods, Shinnok, possibly Zebron. Who knows?

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
I think fans from both sides will be disappointed if they ever see Cyber SZ again, and also if a new person wears the mantle.
As I said before, if they keep changing the character behind Subzero, he will lose his importance in the future. And then we all gonna cry!
Bruce Wayne is not the only Batman. Bi Han/Kuai Liang are not the only Sub-Zeroes.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
SubZero's ground pound is a good move. Think about it.
GP to pop up. Freeze opponent as they fall. Jip into kombo. Cancel into mb throw to make them stand and reset kombo. That's how I roll baby

trufenix

bye felicia
How is what Hanzo (not Scorpion) is wearing irrelevant? There is a massive reason as to why he wears a yellow Lin Kuei outfit. It also gives people the false impression that Scorpion the spectre was killed when it was really a mere human with no supernatural abilities that was killed. He simply used a code name. But he should not be wearing something that he wears due to his death and his family's death, BEFORE he dies.
Because the clothing of any character in the series has never been qualified in the story. There is no definitive Lin Kuei, Shirai Ryu, Special Forces, Shao Kahn's Soldiers or extermination squads, Black Dragon, Red Dragon, Edenian, White Lotus, Shokan, Chaos cleric, Wu Shi, God, or even Elder God costume/uniform. They have all changed in every game, and even when multiple characters from the same organization have been together, the outfits vary. Not even the logos stick. The only people who wear relatively similar clothes are the tarkatans, which is ironic, since they are the wildest of the bunch. Them and the Shadow Priests. And maybe Hotaru's guard, but they were only really seen once. Meanwhile Smoke, Sub, Tundra, Sektor, and Cyrax all appear in MK9 with completely unique outfits. Even their robot forms have different designs and colors, which are never said to be related to rank or term of service or anything. All that's been said about clothes in MK is that the Shirai Ryu wear a yellow "version" of the Lin Kuei outfit to spite their former allegiance and that Sub II wore Sub I's outfit in honor of him in MK4, oh and the armor in MKDe is a cryomancer relic.

So again, while it may be shit writing that now it took Undead Scorpion two tries to kill Sub instead of one, it still doesn't actually change anything in the story.

Either way the game fucking sucks and NR is known for losing track of their own stories.
Mythologies does suck, but NRS has done the best job of advancing and keeping track of their own story more than anyone else in the fighting game genre. A lot of characters matter, and generally speaking the defeat or death of certain characters at least gets referenced in the follow up games. Meanwhile, SF retcons itself with every release. KoF has MASSIVE gaps and never explains what happens to half the cast. Soul Calibur told the exact same story 3 times in a row, then fast forwarded 20 years just to tell it over again with new characters. Guilty Gear, same deal. Tekken reduced half its characters to jokes and can't decide whats canon and isn't. Most other fighters don't even bother trying to tell a story, the only one that came close was Bloody Roar and that game is dead.

BlazBlue is the only other fighter that comes close in terms of actual canon involvement to the game and its a convoluted mess of time loops, inexplicable artifacts created by people or events that are never explained, other random acts of magic, and characters that get possessed or cloned or otherwise repurposed for whatever their personality needs, and good old fashion deus ex plot twists. It has a ground breaking 8 characters that represent three actual people in the plot, and several others don't even have a role or explanation in the plot, they're just there to pad out the roster.

I'll take Scorpion showing up in a prison cell in the wrong pajamas over Platinum the goddamn Trinity being a character from the past, present and future simultaneously any day.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Because the clothing of any character in the series has never been qualified in the story. There is no definitive Lin Kuei, Shirai Ryu, Special Forces, Shao Kahn's Soldiers or extermination squads, Black Dragon, Red Dragon, Edenian, White Lotus, Shokan, Chaos cleric, Wu Shi, God, or even Elder God costume/uniform. They have all changed in every game, and even when multiple characters from the same organization have been together, the outfits vary. Not even the logos stick. The only people who wear relatively similar clothes are the tarkatans, which is ironic, since they are the wildest of the bunch. Them and the Shadow Priests. And maybe Hotaru's guard, but they were only really seen once. Meanwhile Smoke, Sub, Tundra, Sektor, and Cyrax all appear in MK9 with completely unique outfits. Even their robot forms have different designs and colors, which are never said to be related to rank or term of service or anything. All that's been said about clothes in MK is that the Shirai Ryu wear a yellow "version" of the Lin Kuei outfit to spite their former allegiance and that Sub II wore Sub I's outfit in honor of him in MK4, oh and the armor in MKDe is a cryomancer relic.

So again, while it may be shit writing that now it took Undead Scorpion two tries to kill Sub instead of one, it still doesn't actually change anything in the story.

Mythologies does suck, but NRS has done the best job of advancing and keeping track of their own story more than anyone else in the fighting game genre. A lot of characters matter, and generally speaking the defeat or death of certain characters at least gets referenced in the follow up games. Meanwhile, SF retcons itself with every release. KoF has MASSIVE gaps and never explains what happens to half the cast. Soul Calibur told the exact same story 3 times in a row, then fast forwarded 20 years just to tell it over again with new characters. Guilty Gear, same deal. Tekken reduced half its characters to jokes and can't decide whats canon and isn't. Most other fighters don't even bother trying to tell a story, the only one that came close was Bloody Roar and that game is dead.

BlazBlue is the only other fighter that comes close in terms of actual canon involvement to the game and its a convoluted mess of time loops, inexplicable artifacts created by people or events that are never explained, other random acts of magic, and characters that get possessed or cloned or otherwise repurposed for whatever their personality needs, and good old fashion deus ex plot twists. It has a ground breaking 8 characters that represent three actual people in the plot, and several others don't even have a role or explanation in the plot, they're just there to pad out the roster.

I'll take Scorpion showing up in a prison cell in the wrong pajamas over Platinum the goddamn Trinity being a character from the past, present and future simultaneously any day.
Shang Tsungs guards have the same uniform in mk1 mksm mkd mk Unchained mk9.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Was just about to say, MKM is indeed canon as what you said, in MK 9 storymode after Scorpion kills Bi-Han. Raiden confirms MKM happened, he said "a shame, he once defended Earthrealm from the forces of Quan-Chi and Shinnok" clearly referring to MKM. So MKM IS indeed canon, it doesn't alter with the MK9 time travel changes from the original timeline as this happened well before MK 1 took place.

He was Sub-Zero/Bi-Han from that time through MK 1 tournament/death by Scorpion. From MK 2- on Kuai Liang has been Sub-Zero.

I still think this is either A. Kuai Liang (if it's one of the two brothers) because he says "I tire of maintaining OUR innocence" or perhaps another third brother or relative of them. Or it could be another Lin Kuei Cyromancer just referring to "the lin kuei's innocence". I believe it's one of these two scenarios.

I don't think he's necessarily "evil" it is possible that it's the father(but I think this is unlikely) or that if it is Kuai Liang he's darker then before. But only time will tell.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
"Shirai Ryu scum" from the German magazine video...definitely not something the kind-hearted Kuai Liang would say.
Kuai Liang wouldn't say something like that to the man who killed his brother, it doesn't sound personal enough. "Shirai Ryu scum" sounds like something a random Lin Kuei would say to a random Shirai Ryu. Also, this Sub Zero is voiced by Steve Blum, Kuai Liang was voiced by Jim Miller (MK vs DCU & MK9).