What's new

Match-up Discussion Catwoman Matchup Discussion

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Your probably not going to take down a whole life bar with 3 moves, just sayin.

If you have more meter you should go for more damage, as them clashing is basically a free 15%(or more) on every combo

I guess I wasn't clear on my typical strategy. The point of doing unclashables is to make them sit on their 4 bars, waiting for a good time to clash. I do this for a number of reasons:

-As they have 4 bars, any time they do a special or take damage, they're missing out on meter
-If I can drag it out long enough, eventually they may become frustrated and do something unsafe just to use a bar as they realize they've been holding onto it for too long
-As long as I keep at least 2 bars I can negate a lot of any clash they do manage to get
-Each time I land a combo, they're in a hard knockdown scenario and have to guess

Making people do what they don't want to is a good strategy in fighting games. Most players expect the meatiest part of Catwoman's combos to come after the Catdash, so they wait, allowing me to build meter and damage safely while they sit on 4 bars, essentially wasting meter gain. And gaining frustration.

On an opponet like Foxy, that doesn't work - he'll be able to clash most rounds (unless I can land a naked catdash or b3/f3, which is rare but has happened) 'cause he will clash immediately at a certain point, regardless of what you hit him with. So against a player like that, I change my strategy to always try to be matching his meter for the likely clash that'll happen.

This is all 2nd life bar strategy. First life bar is the more damage the better.

Edit: How is a clash a free 15% on every combo? You're assuming you have the meter advantage. It's more likely that you'll be at disadvantage during a clash if you're using bars to capitalize on combo opportunities.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I guess I wasn't clear on my typical strategy. The point of doing unclashables is to make them sit on their 4 bars, waiting for a good time to clash. I do this for a number of reasons:

-As they have 4 bars, any time they do a special or take damage, they're missing out on meter
-If I can drag it out long enough, eventually they may become frustrated and do something unsafe just to use a bar as they realize they've been holding onto it for too long
-As long as I keep at least 2 bars I can negate a lot of any clash they do manage to get
-Each time I land a combo, they're in a hard knockdown scenario and have to guess

Making people do what they don't want to is a good strategy in fighting games. Most players expect the meatiest part of Catwoman's combos to come after the Catdash, so they wait, allowing me to build meter and damage safely while they sit on 4 bars, essentially wasting meter gain. And gaining frustration.

On an opponet like Foxy, that doesn't work - he'll be able to clash most rounds (unless I can land a naked catdash or b3/f3, which is rare but has happened) 'cause he will clash immediately at a certain point, regardless of what you hit him with. So against a player like that, I change my strategy to always try to be matching his meter for the likely clash that'll happen.

This is all 2nd life bar strategy. First life bar is the more damage the better.

Edit: How is a clash a free 15% on every combo? You're assuming you have the meter advantage. It's more likely that you'll be at disadvantage during a clash if you're using bars to capitalize on combo opportunities.
I said if you have the advantage in meter. I rarely use meter in combos except for EX catdash as a combo starter, because I like to save meter for clashes as they usually save my ass.

ot saying your strategy is wrong, just saying mine is a bit different.

Ninj

I said if you have the advantage in meter. I rarely use meter in combos except for EX catdash as a combo starter, because I like to save meter for clashes as they usually save my ass.

ot saying your strategy is wrong, just saying mine is a bit different.

Yup I hear ya. I must've misread your post before and didn't see the 'if'.

skumz

How the hell do you deal with and or punish GL slide kick. It is so damn fast and it seems like it recovers instantly.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Zoidberg747

Ninj even though my universal anti-scorp tech was wrong, I did find something with CW.

If you do regular B3 and hold it, it will make both j3 and tele whiff(you cant cancel j3 into tele when it whiffs). The only problem with this is MB teleport blows it up, but it is still worth doing as a gimmick imo.

Ninj

Ninj even though my universal anti-scorp tech was wrong, I did find something with CW.

If you do regular B3 and hold it, it will make both j3 and tele whiff(you cant cancel j3 into tele when it whiffs). The only problem with this is MB teleport blows it up, but it is still worth doing as a gimmick imo.

A start in the right direction, I'll see if I can't find some more if I have time this week.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Do you know how to deal with it?

It's -12 alone.

And its follow ups are back dashable making him minus and depending on your character, even punishable.

Try 3 after backdash as it's just as fast as Arrow's F2. If that doesn't work you kould probably go into your 50/50's since he's so minus.

CheapEddie

I HAVE A FACE NOW!
It's -12 alone.

And its follow ups are back dashable making him minus and depending on your character, even punishable.

Try 3 after backdash as it's just as fast as Arrow's F2. If that doesn't work you kould probably go into your 50/50's since he's so minus.
Wont work since Kitty`s backdash sucks. D:

CheapEddie

I HAVE A FACE NOW!
No it doesn't. But that's not the point.

It works because of the invincibility frames not because of the movement. In fact the shorter the dash, the kloser you stay so you kan punish....
Ffs, i never meant u cant backdash b1,3 of Lantern. Every character can backdash it. But, only about 5-6 characters can punish him after.

Zoidberg747

A start in the right direction, I'll see if I can't find some more if I have time this week.
After further testing the MB Teleport can be scouted(the noise) and you can backdash causing it to whiff for a b3 combo.

So basically you can do hold b3(he still may hit if close enough, might want to MB to be sure) and wait until he either MB teleports(Dash) or j3(Either release the move if he doesnt cancel into tele or backdash if he cancels into tele).

If he waits till the very last second he could overcome releasing the move to punish the j1, but b3 would push you forward quite a bit so I am wondering if it doesnt just make him whiff.

Ninj

After further testing the MB Teleport can be scouted(the noise) and you can backdash causing it to whiff for a b3 combo.

So basically you can do hold b3(he still may hit if close enough, might want to MB to be sure) and wait until he either MB teleports(Dash) or j3(Either release the move if he doesnt cancel into tele or backdash if he cancels into tele).

If he waits till the very last second he could overcome releasing the move to punish the j1, but b3 would push you forward quite a bit so I am wondering if it doesnt just make him whiff.
I'll test this later. Doesn't sound legit, but I'll look into it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

skumz

Any idea on how to slow down Harley's momentum. It seems like once she gets going she becomes hard to stop.

CRUM

Noob
Hardest matchups? For me it's Deathstroke, Green Lantern, and Hawkgirl gives me trouble. I can't get in on Deathstroke and constantly get pushed out by his wakeup sword flip. Green Lantern is just brutal. You can jump on him and you can't walk him down. He can easily zone you out with fireballs and the machine gun (which you can't EX Catdash through), and have to work overtime to win the MU. With Hawkgirl it could just be a personal thing, but I can never connect with J2, and even when I do I get no damage. Every time I knock her down I get caught by that safe wakeup (might be called mace charge or something). Anyone have input?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Hardest matchups? For me it's Deathstroke, Green Lantern, and Hawkgirl gives me trouble. I can't get in on Deathstroke and constantly get pushed out by his wakeup sword flip. Green Lantern is just brutal. You can jump on him and you can't walk him down. He can easily zone you out with fireballs and the machine gun (which you can't EX Catdash through), and have to work overtime to win the MU. With Hawkgirl it could just be a personal thing, but I can never connect with J2, and even when I do I get no damage. Every time I knock her down I get caught by that safe wakeup (might be called mace charge or something). Anyone have input?

You can blow up wakeup mace charge. Either charge up a b+3 and then mb it when she flies at you or neutral jump over her and come down with a jump attack.

CRUM

Noob
You can blow up wakeup mace charge. Either charge up a b+3 and then mb it when she flies at you or neutral jump over her and come down with a jump attack.
I noticed that I could catch her wakeup charge with a well-placed j1. Thanks for confirming.