What's new

Match-up Discussion Catwoman Matchup Discussion

Any advice on the killer frost match up?
She struggles to do anything against a well-spaced jump-in (her anti-airs really suck), after which point you get a free mix-up - yay. Always be ready to crouch block outside of close range, and keep the gap closed as much as possible. On paper, at least, this MU should be in Catwoman's favour.

As a side note, df3 doesn't work well in this MU because she can punish it at any range with db2.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
Catwoman-Green Arrow 4-6 or 5-5

Catwoman has a really hard time getting in against Arrow and if she wiffs on a combo she gets punished then pushed back. Plus, she doesn't have strong enough mid rang pressure to out footsie Arrow. She has a pretty strong anti air game but I'm not sure if it's enough...

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Catwoman-Green Arrow 4-6 or 5-5

Catwoman has a really hard time getting in against Arrow and if she wiffs on a combo she gets punished then pushed back. Plus, she doesn't have strong enough mid rang pressure to out footsie Arrow. She has a pretty strong anti air game but I'm not sure if it's enough...
Hmmmm... In my personal experience against Green arrow... It's a 4-6 Catwoman beats him bad up close... It takes hard time to get in... But you can armor aout his arrow easily, also if you fail a cat dash... You're kinda dead... His tools are great and he can push Catwoman back easily too... So if he is intelligent he can have you the whole time at full screen... Where he wins :3

c_red

Noob
About the ww matchup if You do establish That You have the ability to use the up whip to stop her air mobility whats to stop her from Just walking forward? I havent played one yet but I mess around with her and I think b23 would give the low whip problems that's what I would be using with her until got close enough to let loose.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Tips from a DS player: If you have the option, never, ever end your combo pushing me away from you. Playing a decent Catwoman who is giving up matches by continually letting me have space back. Also, Atlantis is not a counterpick. It works far more in my favor than it does yours.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
A couple of things.
1. When I press the spoiler tag in original post, I dont see anything. Is there information there that I am not seeing?

2. Also I see this miau abbreviation often but don't know what it stands for. Can someone fill me in

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
Yeah that should be updated with the info everyone has been sharing :p

About the MIAU i think its her Cat Dash(?) bf2.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
After playing the GA MU offline a bunch I think it is around 5-5. At fullscreen he has an advantage but all it takes is one read to get a full combo. Once you figure out his overhead, low, overhead string he is not nearly as dangerous up close. Ice arrows used up close leads to pressure from you, which he is not good at dealing with. J2 also bothers him from about midscreen, and you can easily anti-air whip his jump ins. It really is just a matter of who is the better player in this match.

The other match I have played 100 times offline is Aquaman. All I have to say is if you think Aquaman isnt a bad MU, you need to play a better Aquaman.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
what are some tips to deal with batman? I feel like he can jump in and just press buttons and be safe for it. I have tried pushblocking but it only buys me a little time before he is at it again. You can only guess his mix up correctly so often before his button rampage catches you in a combo.

skumz

Hey, I am a new Catwoman player and I am curious about some matchups. From my experience with her I notice that I struggle against GL, Grundy, Doomsday, and the infamous "runaway, throw bolts, and dive kicks bc I don't know what I am doing when I get close" Black Adam! These characters give me serious trouble and I was wondering if the forum could help me with solutions to these matchups.

Zoidberg747

what are some tips to deal with batman? I feel like he can jump in and just press buttons and be safe for it. I have tried pushblocking but it only buys me a little time before he is at it again. You can only guess his mix up correctly so often before his button rampage catches you in a combo.
Anti air whip erry time
Hey, I am a new Catwoman player and I am curious about some matchups. From my experience with her I notice that I struggle against GL, Grundy, Doomsday, and the infamous "runaway, throw bolts, and dive kicks bc I don't know what I am doing when I get close" Black Adam! These characters give me serious trouble and I was wondering if the forum could help me with solutions to these matchups.
Grundy is all about reads and evading. If he tries to WCC you need to either low evade on reaction or backdash on reaction. B3 can be a good thing to keep him in chek with, just make sure to backdash after.

Never played any of the other ones, at least not against anyone competent.

Also RunwayMafia what the hell am I supposed to do in the HG matchup? Is there any way to keep her from just mace charging you constantly?

skumz

Appreciate the help with that Grundy matchup. It just sucks when I have a life lead and then get one good read and there goes all my life. Thanks again and I will make sure to study your info.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Anti air whip erry time

Grundy is all about reads and evading. If he tries to WCC you need to either low evade on reaction or backdash on reaction. B3 can be a good thing to keep him in chek with, just make sure to backdash after.

Never played any of the other ones, at least not against anyone competent.

Also RunwayMafia what the hell am I supposed to do in the HG matchup? Is there any way to keep her from just mace charging you constantly?
If I notice a pattern from the HG player and they are spamming the Mace Charge, you can go into Cat Stance and it will go past you...then I wait for the directional change and you do Cat Stance 3 or sometimes if she is right above you do Cat stance 1. Also, forward whip works great as well.

Zoidberg747

If I notice a pattern from the HG player and they are spamming the Mace Charge, you can go into Cat Stance and it will go past you...then I wait for the directional change and you do Cat Stance 3 or sometimes if she is right above you do Cat stance 1. Also, forward whip works great as well.
Exactly what I needed.

Muchas Gracias.

Has anyone any tips for a novice CW vs. tactical Batman? I'm struggling with several online who all use bats/grapple/batarang to keep her at a distance, whilst constantly walking backwards (i.e. blocking high - meaning the usual ways in are unwise) - all I've figured is trying to condition them with whiptrip, but I'm not having a deal of luck against the better players. I'm better off once they're cornered, but there are often interactables for them to use along their backward path that don't always help.

What should she do?

Thanks

Reborn

Noob
Just some random things I have picked up from some online matches tonight...

1) F1 reaches your opponent at the very beginning of the match. It is relatively quick compared to other moves of that range so it usually beats out other moves of the same range. That being said, most people (especially with my experiences online) like to jump at the opening of the match which counters this tactic. However the F1 is very effect for some characters (like WW's overhead whip).

2) CatDash is a better wakeup option than I thought. It is full combo punishable if they block it so do NOT just throw it out, but it is perfect when you are absolutely sure your opponent is doing something on your WU and you have no trait.

3) Green Arrow's jump back arrow WU attack gets beaten by F1 and you can MB dash for a combo.

4) If you end a round with the 3rd trait hit, you will not get the back dash and will be right next to you opponent at the start of the round.

5) Maybe I am just stupid but I never knew that you could just duck the Atlantis water sprays in the corner (although messing with it in practice mode, sometimes I would still randomly get hit by it when ducking so I don't know if you can actually duck it or if practice mode is just being buggy as usual lol) and can punish the opponent depending on the distance from your opponent. Stance3 (or Stance 1 if you are super close) can avoid the spray and punish afterwards.

6) I haven't quite tested it but a lot of times on Gotham City Alley stage, you can CatDash on WU and hit the opponent, while also avoiding the garbage can they throw at you after a combo.

---

My question for you guys is:

What do you do at the start of the match?
Usually I will either jump back 2, F1 into safe string, or just block.

EDIT:

Another question:

How do you spend your meter when playing with Catwoman?

I used to just rip MB dashes in combos for more damage but yesterday I tried conserving my meter and staying around 3-4 bars throughout the match. It prevented the opponent from clashing and allowed me to use super combos to close out matches. Although I was losing out on damage on some combos, I felt like I was controlling the flow of the match when I was constantly winning the meter battle. She doesn't really benefit from using meter in the neutral game like other characters (with the exception of MB CatDash to full punish certain characters).

Reborn

Noob

A slightly more optimized option is dashing forward after a 1F2 combo ender. As they are waking up, jump backwards and j3 1F2 for more damage and send them back into the vortex.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I used to just rip MB dashes in combos for more damage but yesterday I tried conserving my meter and staying around 3-4 bars throughout the match. It prevented the opponent from clashing and allowed me to use super combos to close out matches. Although I was losing out on damage on some combos, I felt like I was controlling the flow of the match when I was constantly winning the meter battle. She doesn't really benefit from using meter in the neutral game like other characters (with the exception of MB CatDash to full punish certain characters).

Have you checked Ra Helios's MB Catdash whiff combo's? If you're planning on spending meter in a combo for damage, these are the ideals to use and they significantly boost your damage for 1 bar:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-complete-combo-guide-to-catwoman.34372/

Scroll down to the - Ra Helios' Dash whiff - one bar

Reborn

Noob
Have you checked Ra Helios's MB Catdash whiff combo's? If you're planning on spending meter in a combo for damage, these are the ideals to use and they significantly boost your damage for 1 bar:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-complete-combo-guide-to-catwoman.34372/

Scroll down to the - Ra Helios' Dash whiff - one bar

Yeah they are really clever! What I meant to say was her meter was only really useful in combos (either for extra damage or to end a combo for a specific setup like the low whip). Yes you can MB interactables and your b3/f3 for armor, as well as MB CatDash for full screen punishes (aka Sinestro's boulders, missed grappling hooks, ect) but you don't really throw out MB attacks like Superman with his lasers, or DS with his guns, or BA with his projectiles. The only thing that she has close to that is the MB wiff Catdash setup; however, that is more of a gimmick that a useful strategy and REALLY risky.

TL;DR: Would it be more beneficial to use meter every time you get a hit for extra damage or would saving meter (at least enough to stay ahead of your opponent) so you can take away their clash (comeback factor). The drawback of CW is that she has no real zoning tools so she can't play keepaway when she has the life lead like a Superman or DS to chip out the opponent. I feel that conserving meter is a strategy to help strengthen that part of her game.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Yeah they are really clever! What I meant to say was her meter was only really useful in combos (either for extra damage or to end a combo for a specific setup like the low whip). Yes you can MB interactables and your b3/f3 for armor, as well as MB CatDash for full screen punishes (aka Sinestro's boulders, missed grappling hooks, ect) but you don't really throw out MB attacks like Superman with his lasers, or DS with his guns, or BA with his projectiles. The only thing that she has close to that is the MB wiff Catdash setup; however, that is more of a gimmick that a useful strategy and REALLY risky.

TL;DR: Would it be more beneficial to use meter every time you get a hit for extra damage or would saving meter (at least enough to stay ahead of your opponent) so you can take away their clash (comeback factor). The drawback of CW is that she has no real zoning tools so she can't play keepaway when she has the life lead like a Superman or DS to chip out the opponent. I feel that conserving meter is a strategy to help strengthen that part of her game.

I think it's an ever-changing dynamic, all dependent on the match at hand.

On the opponent's 2nd life bar, I'm always trying to land the Catdash as soon as possible so that I can go into the B3, F3, F3 unclashable. I'll take 25-33% unclashable damage every single time on the 2nd bar over a more damaging combo. IMO Catwoman should always, always be denying the opponent their Clash if at all possible.

Zoidberg747

I think it's an ever-changing dynamic, all dependent on the match at hand.

On the opponent's 2nd life bar, I'm always trying to land the Catdash as soon as possible so that I can go into the B3, F3, F3 unclashable. I'll take 25-33% unclashable damage every single time on the 2nd bar over a more damaging combo. IMO Catwoman should always, always be denying the opponent their Clash if at all possible.
Your probably not going to take down a whole life bar with 3 moves, just sayin.

If you have more meter you should go for more damage, as them clashing is basically a free 15%(or more) on every combo