What's new

Match-up Discussion Catwoman Matchup Discussion

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I had a theory for this match-up and I played it when I was down in Arizona for the 5v5.

This is how I feel the "Catwoman/Green Lantern" match-up should be played.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I had a theory for this match-up and I played it when I was down in Arizona for the 5v5.

Are you talking about the match that starts at 1:15? I like your catwoman and your keep way patient style is commendable but I dont think that Green lantern player was really capitalizing on damage. Several time He did b1, 3 and caught you only to go into turret gun instead of going for the combo damage. He would also hit with MB rocket and not follow it up with a big damage combo. I did not see him going for resets either. With him missing all that damage, the games were still close, Most Green lanterns I play only cancel into gun if you block the 1,3 string and try to optimize their damage. Hopefully we can see more of your approach towards this match up.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Are you talking about the match that starts at 1:15? I like your catwoman and your keep way patient style is commendable but I dont think that Green lantern player was really capitalizing on damage. Several time He did b1, 3 and caught you only to go into turret gun instead of going for the combo damage. He would also hit with MB rocket and not follow it up with a big damage combo. I did not see him going for resets either. With him missing all that damage, the games were still close, Most Green lanterns I play only cancel into gun if you block the 1,3 string and try to optimize their damage. Hopefully we can see more of your approach towards this match up.

Oh, its a terrible match-up indeed. But I feel like this is the best way to approach him.

Like a pussy?

get it?

lol I hate you

Reborn

Noob

The only thing I would recommend is ending combos with low whip and make him guess the left/right mixup. Green Lantern has the ideal hitbox for this setup. There is a window that determines whether it hits in front or behind. If you jump instantly after low whip, you will cross up, but if you delay it half a second, you stay on the same side. Also, he doesn't have any wakeup options to deal with this so he has to guess.

Ecodus

I ain't got time to bleed.

You finish a lot of combos with 1f2 instead of f3 for hkd. Is this for your set ups on the follow up (f3 knocks opponents further away?) or is it for execution purposes?

Also that double f3 catdashmb cross up tech is silky, and I'm stealing it.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
You finish a lot of combos with 1f2 instead of f3 for hkd. Is this for your set ups on the follow up (f3 knocks opponents further away?) or is it for execution purposes?

Also that double f3 catdashmb cross up tech is silky, and I'm stealing it.

Spacing and timing mid screen. There is also a reverse wake-up with the 1F2 knockdown and its a just frame. I just haven't practiced it yet, so I don't have it down.

In the corner its the best knockdown due to the hitbox properties. It allows you to phase through, and you get set-ups such as jump cross up, or it allows you to interact with items as you phase through.

Ecodus

Spacing and timing mid screen. There is also a reverse wake-up with the 1F2 knockdown and its a just frame. I just haven't practiced it yet, so I don't have it down.

In the corner its the best knockdown due to the hitbox properties. It allows you to phase through, and you get set-ups such as jump cross up, or it allows you to interact with items as you phase through.
Cool, I also noticed mid strings you're using j3 instead of f3 whiff, isn't f3 more dmg? Does it effect fall speed?

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Cool, I also noticed mid strings you're using j3 instead of f3 whiff, isn't f3 more dmg? Does it effect fall speed?

Not quite sure. Sometimes I don't go for the whiff bnb's to have more accuracy. That, or I don't use the unclashable combos until the opponents second lifebar. But again, not sure what part of the vid.

The only thing I would recommend is ending combos with low whip and make him guess the left/right mixup. Green Lantern has the ideal hitbox for this setup. There is a window that determines whether it hits in front or behind. If you jump instantly after low whip, you will cross up, but if you delay it half a second, you stay on the same side. Also, he doesn't have any wakeup options to deal with this so he has to guess.

What do you mean end combos with low whip?

Reborn

Noob
What do you mean end combos with low whip?
Yeah sorry I mean d+f3. Pretty much just end your combo with MB dash, then d+f3 which is a hard knockdown. It leaves you at a distance that leads to an extremely ambiguous j1. Some smaller hitbox characters always get crossed up, but normal-large hitbox characters have that window that I was explaining in my previous post. I definitely don't use this as my "go to" setup since the combo damage isn't optimized, but I do get a lot of mileage off of it and it is very good in some matchups.

Ecodus

I feel like the AM match up is almost un winnable. I don't like to make excuses, and my CW is clearly not at the level of top tier players, but I don't feel like I can even touch him. And even if I do get in on him to deal with his trait I have to cat dash early in combo which makes it pretty hard to hit confirm. And if I'm wrong a good AM will punish, and decent ones put me into low/overhead mixups. cat claws is only good on wake up, which I need because unless the AM is a tard and throwing tridents, I can't build trait for wake up. Mind you it's not like AM is going to rush me down and pressure me... Why would he when he can just sit on the other side of the screen sharpening his devil stick waiting anxiously to toss me around like a rag doll... Right?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Aquaman is super tough. I've recently made some progress thinking outside the box and adjusting my game. Like she's gotta use jump 3 more. If you neutral jump a b+1,2 or crossup a wakeup scoop use jump 3 to launch. When a jump 2 hits I don't go into dash or claws, I will just take the frame advantage. Use f+3 as an overhead instead of f+1. Throw a lot and use sweep instead of b+1,2. If he traits preemptively then do that stuff until cool down then you can play your regular game.

Ecodus

Aquaman is super tough. I've recently made some progress thinking outside the box and adjusting my game. Like she's gotta use jump 3 more. If you neutral jump a b+1,2 or crossup a wakeup scoop use jump 3 to launch. When a jump 2 hits I don't go into dash or claws, I will just take the frame advantage. Use f+3 as an overhead instead of f+1. Throw a lot and use sweep instead of b+1,2. If he traits preemptively then do that stuff until cool down then you can play your regular game.
Cool, have you experimented using cat parry on his overhead for punishes? I've had some success with this on block strings finishing with cat claws, most often I find AM will go for the overhead low mixup, it's risky but if the overhead doesn't connect the low doesn't come out. Then punish with f1 catdash and f3 hkd mixups

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
So what would you catwoman players agree on more 6-4 gl? or 7-3 gl? I think 6-4 but possibly 7-3 maybe.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
So what would you catwoman players agree on more 6-4 gl? or 7-3 gl? I think 6-4 but possibly 7-3 maybe.

Could go either way. Unquestionably bad for Selina but hard to say how bad.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

I don't know if any Catwomen are watching GGA's weeklies but this week I managed to beat Dizzy's Aquaman. It took some luck but the strategies I posted for getting around trait work.

You get the knockdown and then...

MB Cat Dash crossup beats him preemptively traiting and holding back.

f+3 beats him holding down to block that.

cross up jump 3 beats him doing a wakeup attack to beat both of those.

The first two options beat him waking up normally and doing a d+2 to beat the cross up jump 3.