What's new

Cassie Cage General Discussion Thread

sars

Noob
They should probably focus on nerfing her mom than her, Sonya is literal hell to play against. Cassie is honest.
The problem isn’t the top tiers it’s just they need to buff some characters. Top tiers are not broke or OP. There are just some characters that need some love

Goatlegs

Noob
As a Cassie player, I'd like to ask why some of you think she's an honest character. I'm not attacking, I'm just curious because I personally disagree. Digital soldier, at least.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
As a Cassie player, I'd like to ask why some of you think she's an honest character. I'm not attacking, I'm just curious because I personally disagree. Digital soldier, at least.
She needs meter to do any real damage. Her meterless damage at midscreen and in the corner is not good. Without it, you're doing maybe mid-20% at the max.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
She needs meter to do any real damage. Her meterless damage at midscreen and in the corner is not good. Without it, you're doing maybe mid-20% at the max.
This.

Her combos are tricky so you bet your ass we worked for that damage. Her 'mixups' are very blockable and slow startup. Her D2 is trash, her FB is trash and practically can't be comboed unless you use a bar. She has good pressure but no good pokes so she relies on her b2 or f4 a lot for that, which is fine, characters shouldn't have great pokes and a 9 frame mid that's 0 on block.

But either way, Sonic is saying she has no weakness and no bad MUs so she's getting nerfed whether it's deserved or not.

sars

Noob
What’s dishonest about her. She’s a great character but nothing really OP. She’s great but honest. Now if she was the character she is and had a 50/50 I would agree.

Goatlegs

Noob
Incoming novel.
Yes but I really feel this game is not as combo heavy as past NRS titles and that this game is a lot of 10%-20% combos. I mean there's characters like Jade, Kang, Cmd grab Baraka, Cetrion really only gets big damage on KB, Jax, and so on. Now don't get me wrong, there's also Noob and Sonya that have big damage, but this isn't mk9 where every character has a 30%-50% combo. I don't see how her getting mid 20s is such a weakness. Especially with such dominant footsie tools that allow more opportunities to hit confirm into damage.
This.

Her combos are tricky so you bet your ass we worked for that damage. Her 'mixups' are very blockable and slow startup. Her D2 is trash, her FB is trash and practically can't be comboed unless you use a bar. She has good pressure but no good pokes so she relies on her b2 or f4 a lot for that, which is fine, characters shouldn't have great pokes and a 9 frame mid that's 0 on block.

But either way, Sonic is saying she has no weakness and no bad MUs so she's getting nerfed whether it's deserved or not.
But you can't take execution into account when talking about a characters tools. Sure you're more likely to drop combos, but that's on you not the character. She may not have mixups but her ground game is sooooo much more dominant than other characters. You don't need mixups when people have to respect her b2 and f2. People are afraid to move towards her, throw low shots onto that and people are afraid to even throw a projectile. B3 more than makes up for D2. In fact, I'd say B3 is a top 3 anti air in the game that leads to more damage then any D2 (besides KB) ever would. Her FB is bad, but can still be combo-ed into clutch damage. I still don't see what's wrong with her pokes. They're not Johnny cage good but they seem pretty standard to me. In fact her D4 usually catches people trying to shimmy in my experience. Maybe I'm just getting lucky.
What’s dishonest about her. She’s a great character but nothing really OP. She’s great but honest. Now if she was the character she is and had a 50/50 I would agree.
Well the only thing about her I can think of that is truly dominant is her footsies and her B3 anti-air. But it's not just those two things that make her dirty in my opinion. It's the combination of her tools that people seem to forget that makes her dirty. Sonya is the only character who still plays 50/50 MKX, so not having 50/50s into full combos is not a bad thing in this game, it's fine and balanced. She has top 3 footsies (b2, f2, f4), top 3 anti air (b3), low profiling projectile, getting out of the corner for free with amp upkick (hell, amp upkick being safe in general), potential to interrupt string gaps with nut kick, +4 restand on airborne targets, good walk speed, air shots is a great check and it even has an amp to check your opponent afterwards. These are just a few things that come to mind.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think she's broke by any means and I think she might even have a few bad match-ups. But if her FB (still hit confirmable) and her D2 (b3!!), are the only things about her that are truly bad then how is this an honest character? How can you look at supposively mid-tier characters like Kitana, Kang, and Raiden (who I believe are well balanced and honest) and think that Cassie is honest?

I get that I'm no pro and that the game is still very young and it's tough to see where the meta will go from here, I'm just trying to have a friendly debate and see if I'm really missing something here. I'd actually like to be proven wrong, tbh.

Incoming novel.

Yes but I really feel this game is not as combo heavy as past NRS titles and that this game is a lot of 10%-20% combos. I mean there's characters like Jade, Kang, Cmd grab Baraka, Cetrion really only gets big damage on KB, Jax, and so on. Now don't get me wrong, there's also Noob and Sonya that have big damage, but this isn't mk9 where every character has a 30%-50% combo. I don't see how her getting mid 20s is such a weakness. Especially with such dominant footsie tools that allow more opportunities to hit confirm into damage.

But you can't take execution into account when talking about a characters tools. Sure you're more likely to drop combos, but that's on you not the character. She may not have mixups but her ground game is sooooo much more dominant than other characters. You don't need mixups when people have to respect her b2 and f2. People are afraid to move towards her, throw low shots onto that and people are afraid to even throw a projectile. B3 more than makes up for D2. In fact, I'd say B3 is a top 3 anti air in the game that leads to more damage then any D2 (besides KB) ever would. Her FB is bad, but can still be combo-ed into clutch damage. I still don't see what's wrong with her pokes. They're not Johnny cage good but they seem pretty standard to me. In fact her D4 usually catches people trying to shimmy in my experience. Maybe I'm just getting lucky.

Well the only thing about her I can think of that is truly dominant is her footsies and her B3 anti-air. But it's not just those two things that make her dirty in my opinion. It's the combination of her tools that people seem to forget that makes her dirty. Sonya is the only character who still plays 50/50 MKX, so not having 50/50s into full combos is not a bad thing in this game, it's fine and balanced. She has top 3 footsies (b2, f2, f4), top 3 anti air (b3), low profiling projectile, getting out of the corner for free with amp upkick (hell, amp upkick being safe in general), potential to interrupt string gaps with nut kick, +4 restand on airborne targets, good walk speed, air shots is a great check and it even has an amp to check your opponent afterwards. These are just a few things that come to mind.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think she's broke by any means and I think she might even have a few bad match-ups. But if her FB (still hit confirmable) and her D2 (b3!!), are the only things about her that are truly bad then how is this an honest character? How can you look at supposively mid-tier characters like Kitana, Kang, and Raiden (who I believe are well balanced and honest) and think that Cassie is honest?

I get that I'm no pro and that the game is still very young and it's tough to see where the meta will go from here, I'm just trying to have a friendly debate and see if I'm really missing something here. I'd actually like to be proven wrong, tbh.
What is the exact dirt of Cassie?
The good buttons are not dirt. She is safe: not dirt.
F4 stagger: it might be dirty as 0 on block BUT do not forget it has push back so mid screen 2 F4 will not connect!
low shot: good tool but do not see dirt in there.
amp low shot going back: it is dirt against bad people who can not punish it but not in general.
amp up kick being safe and corner leave for "free": yes it might be a dirt. Not the safe chip as it is an extra bar for that minimum extra but maybe the side switch.

I feel me much more less dirty with Cassie than with Scorpion (Reborn :D), Erron Black...
But I am not a Cassie veteran, yet.

sars

Noob
Incoming novel.

I agree she has all the tools to deal with all situations. She plays MK11 great. I look at it as she’s not broke some characters just need to buffs. I feel like everyone should be where Cassie is at. You would have an amazing footsie game. I also agree her damage is balanced. If she has 400 damage combos she would be broke as hell. Her damage is fine for how good she is at landing hits. Like I said she plays footsies well, that doesn’t mean she broke. There’s not a single thing OP about her, she just better than most the cast. The reason I use yaas queen is cause she all footsies in the veriation. You need one or 2 things about Cassie’s footsies she goes to mid tier

Last edited:
Fuck no low gunshot is already the best projectile in the game it shouldn‘t be even better than it already is.
When I first saw Cassie against me I thought WTF she had F41/F4xxDB1 AMP 50/50 lol. She would be Sonya 2.0 with that + F4 stagger lol.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Cassie is the best character, free. Shes dirty because her 9f mid(Fastest nonpoke mid in game, albeit a tie) is 0 on block, making it a great stagger, goes into overhead, easily hit confirmable, and on top of that, leads to a restand that is +4ish. She opens you up and stops playing mk11. Its oppressive to combine that offense with the best projectile in the game. Is she Op? Idk really, but if she isnt, no one is. 50/50s dont make a character good. Sub has one and he is ass. You guys fundamentally misunderstand character strength if you cant see her dirt. F4 and shimy. Have an option that shuts down all your opponents options with no risk? Thats dirty.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
When I first saw Cassie against me I thought WTF she had F41/F4xxDB1 AMP 50/50 lol. She would be Sonya 2.0 with that + F4 stagger lol.
yup it just would be too much. right now she already dominates almost everyone fullscreen and it's proabably going to be nerfed next patch, it really doesn't need to be low lol
Cassie is the best character, free. Shes dirty because her 9f mid(Fastest nonpoke mid in game, albeit a tie) is 0 on block, making it a great stagger, goes into overhead, easily hit confirmable, and on top of that, leads to a restand that is +4ish. She opens you up and stops playing mk11. Its oppressive to combine that offense with the best projectile in the game. Is she Op? Idk really, but if she isnt, no one is. 50/50s dont make a character good. Sub has one and he is ass. You guys fundamentally misunderstand character strength if you cant see her dirt. F4 and shimy. Have an option that shuts down all your opponents options with no risk? Thats dirty.
her dirt is that she has amazing zoning and amazing neutral like I said earlier, she's in a similiar spot like sonya without the mix but with better neutral and I don't think anyone here doesn't already know that so calm down.
what makes cassie so good is that all her tools are super rewarding for her if you have strong fundamentals. she's not like other top tiers who have their spot because of some bullshit, she's legit a strong character.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I mean, F41 is also easily blockable. You can talk about how great a move is in a game, but if your opponent can easily block it then you still have to play neutral to open them up and punish their mistakes with it. And if they have meter they're getting out of that combo.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
I mean, F41 is also easily blockable. You can talk about how great a move is in a game, but if your opponent can easily block it then you still have to play neutral to open them up and punish their mistakes with it.
Easily blockable? Okay, but what do I get for blocking it? Every move except 2 are blockable. Correct me if Im wrong, but Cassie has the only neutral on block mid that leads to full damage and restand that effectively makes the move a 5 frame mid. You arent playing neutral with that move, youre bypassing it. the reward HEAVILY outweighs the risk.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
In fact, there is no risk. Just do it. is that not a very strong up close tool? Does she not also have the best full screen and very good mid screen tools? Where is her weakness?

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Easily blockable? Okay, but what do I get for blocking it? Every move except 2 are blockable. Correct me if Im wrong, but Cassie has the only neutral on block mid that leads to full damage and restand that effectively makes the move a 5 frame mid. You arent playing neutral with that move, youre bypassing it. the reward HEAVILY outweighs the risk.
Oh so like, Sonya's 50/50s that leads to 40% damage? Indeed.

So you're on the 'she has no weakness bandwagon'? Her good damaging combos (30% max) are all combo breakable. She struggles against good anti-zoning (Cetrion) and people with long-range attacks (Jade), Erron Black pretty much says FU to all her pressure tools. Her corner game is meh because everyone is blocking low and her only launcher is slow (B13) and low gunshots don't connect unless used in a precise combo when the opponent is at exactly the right height, but it switches sides so bye bye corner pressure. Her KBs are not that easy to get, and her D2 has no hitbox so you're getting D2'ed KB if you use it, unless you're at the exact range that it'll hit. Her FB is the worst in the game.

These are all weaknesses, but they're not bad things, because she needs them to balance her strong pressure. She's perfectly balanced.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
I play more than 2/3s of the roster, @Vslayer , you know this. Im at least average at the game. I also heavily follow and involve myself wity the competitive scene and hear others opinions. I play against her and with her regularly and have thoroughly labbed her mu vs many characters. Idk about calling things in a new game broken or op, but she is the best character, very easy to play, and requires little thought from most ranges. Why not f4? Why not low gunshot?

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I play more than 2/3s of the roster, @Vslayer , you know this. Im at least average at the game. I also heavily follow and involve myself wity the competitive scene and hear others opinions. I play against her and with her regularly and have thoroughly labbed her mu vs many characters. Idk about calling things in a new game broken or op, but she is the best character, very easy to play, and requires little thought from most ranges. Why not f4? Why not low gunshot?
You're not average, you have a better understanding of playing footsies and neutral that I do. she's not easy to play, that's false you need to do a lot whiff punishing with her and can't just throw F41 against good players and blow them up every time it won't work, she requires you to play footsies, saying she doesn't is dishonest.

And it's not because Sonic can crush people with her and it's not because he says that she has no weakness and no bad MUs that it's true. People were saying she was mid tier 2 weeks ago. Mid tier...and now she's the best character in the game and is OP? Please. Next week it'll be another character because Sonic plays them.

sars

Noob
She’s not dirty, also a lot of characters can low profile F4. Having on stagger that’s 0 on block is not dirty. Every character in the game can stop the stagger by hitting a button. It’s not different than any other stagger. That’s fighting games I do one option you do this option. Nothing is dirty about F4. Is it the best mid in the game, I would say so. Does not mean it’s dirty, if someone goes to stagger you hit them out of it. Sub also doesn’t have a 50/50 cause you can react to the overhead.

No one here is saying she’s bad but she has nothing that’s dirty, she just plays footsies well. I like how until sonic pickers her up she was fine. Now sonic says she’s the best it means she dirty. She is arguably the best character but she has nothing that’s dirty. She was dirty in MKX. She honest in this game. People are just afraid to hit buttons and let people get away with F4,F4,F4 staggers. Show a Cassie that your not afraid of it and she just can’t throw F4 out there and than she has to change it up. There’s also this thing called wiff punishing that you can do. There are options for everything Cassie can do, people just don’t want to take the time to figure them out