What's new

Question BLOODY HOT! - The Skarlet Gameplay Discussion Thread

ryublaze

Noob
Skarlet does have an odd feel to her. She takes a while to get used to. I use down daggers to beat down pokes and fake crossups and jump ins. Its a really useful tool.
Yeah. I also noticed that if you're close enough and the dagger hits, you can dash in for free pressure or a throw.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
Kind of a weird playstyle...but does anyone else use down daggers...like A LOT? I usually jump forward and punch (even if it'll miss) then throw a down dagger. If I'm too close, I'll just jump straight up or backwards and do down dagger. It beats people out of air battles, but it also can be stopped by a smart opponent with something like a fast special. I do this in the corner too. It also fakes jump-ins, and doing it enough times might let you jump-in safely if your opponent is expecting a down dagger. You kind of need to know the right distance. I know it can't be punished with an uppercut.

I don't do this consecutively (usually like 2 times then mix with a Slide) but this has been a fun thing to do and worked against some characters.
do this aaaaall the time. baits out uppercuts and shit like that, and if done close enough to the ground, i _believe_ it may give her advantage, or at least put her at neutral.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
do this aaaaall the time. baits out uppercuts and shit like that
Agreed. Doing this creates the threat that you will keep doing it. It doesn't do much damage, what it does do, is take away your opponents options. Combining this with what appears to be a 'random' instant air teleport, will make your opponent fearful when you take to the skies. This sets up a lot for Skarlet. Random air teleports throughout a match will get you owned, showing that you are capable of throwing one out there here or there will make them think twice about what they do when you jump.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
So whats a good AA with Skarlipoo? U4~air dagger into combo? What about anti crossups?

ryublaze

Noob
I haven't seen this mentioned yet but after 1, 1, 2 you can dagger toss then cancel and be close enough for a throw (make a full dash). If the dagger hits, the opponent can't escape unless he techs the throw. If the dagger is blocked the opponent can poke you out of dash. Blocked dagger does 0% though.

or you can do 1, 1, 2, Red Dash, then throw assuming the opponent is expecting a slide or slash. The opponent can jump out of it though. Correction: If you throw at the earliest possible time, then the opponent can't jump out.

Btw, I might also be uploading videos of Skarlet gameplay soon.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
skarlets frame trap game?(if any) can anyone help? my knowledge on skarlet very poor outside her dagger cancels to be honest and want to change that

ryublaze

Noob
skarlets frame trap game?(if any) can anyone help? my knowledge on skarlet very poor outside her dagger cancels to be honest and want to change that
Her frametraps use EX Dagger cancels since they are +22 on block. There is a topic about it below made by UsedForGlue and it shows blockstrings you can do. On a blocking opponent I like to use 1, 1, 2, EX Dagger cancel, F2, 1, 2, 1+2, Red Dash, Red Slide or some other blockstring. From my experiences, I've been poked out of it online but I haven't messed with it too much yet.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Her frametraps use EX Dagger cancels since they are +22 on block. There is a topic about it below made by UsedForGlue and it shows blockstrings you can do. On a blocking opponent I like to use 1, 1, 2, EX Dagger cancel, F2, 1, 2, 1+2, Red Dash, Red Slide or some other blockstring. From my experiences, I've been poked out of it online but I haven't messed with it too much yet.
thnaks man, ill have a look, yea i heard she has some high chip strings alright, two more questions for ya,
do any of her normals has adv on block?
what are her safe strings?

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
thnaks man, ill have a look, yea i heard she has some high chip strings alright, two more questions for ya,
do any of her normals has adv on block?
what are her safe strings?
I usually end most of her combos with red dash into slide or downslash to make them safe.

ryublaze

Noob
I'm pretty sure Down Slash and Up Slash are both unsafe on block.

Btw, anyone have some cool techs to discuss?

I like to use 1, 1, 4, Red Dash followed by another 1, 1, 4, Red Dash or throw. The opponent might expect a slide after red dash so you can continue with more pressure if you fake it. I know the opponent can poke out of Red Dash if the string is blocked, but if the 4 hits then you can continue the pressure. I think this is common Skarlet knowledge though.

Also I've been using F4, 3 a lot especially in the corner. 13% for 2 hits is insane and it seems safe on block. The hitbox on that 3 is weird. I've been able to hit Stryker out of his roll wake-up attack everytime with that 3.

Somberness

Lights
I've already done the frame data for Skarlet, so there's no need to guess. I'll have to add the red dash advantage though.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
So, I was trying to find a female character to play as and I think I want it to be skarlet.

What are her safe on block strings and wakeup moves? I've got a couple of her BnB's down already. :)

ryublaze

Noob
So, I was trying to find a female character to play as and I think I want it to be skarlet.

What are her safe on block strings and wakeup moves? I've got a couple of her BnB's down already. :)
Check the frame data thread by Somberness and look under Block Advantage. Anything under 6 frames is generally safe. I guess her safest wake-up move would have to be red dash into red slide.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Not sure whether I overlooked this or not, but does anyone find any use for deep kick, air dagger options?

[MENTION=6735]RedRaptor10[/MENTION], [MENTION=5872]Ninj[/MENTION], [MENTION=3937]Somberness[/MENTION]

ryublaze

Noob
Something I think all Skarlet players should be aware of is her Dagger Toss stun time on hit (+12 hit advantage). If you are at full dash distance away from the opponent and Dagger Toss hits the opponent, you can dash cancel into a blockstring. If you see the opponent jump over the dagger, dash cancel backwards.

Most Skarlet players probably already know this, but I think it's worth mentioning since her blockstrings are an important part of her gameplay.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Any Skarlet players currently online on XBL? I need some experience vs this bloody-ass bitch. XD

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Any Skarlet players currently online on XBL? I need some experience vs this bloody-ass bitch. XD
Im on xbox most of the time. My skarlet is still in the works but decent for the most part. My tag is BigMikeDubJr if you ever want to play

ryublaze

Noob
Hey I just jump tested this and I'm not sure if I'm right but I believe Skarlet gets a free jump-in punch after a blocked EX Dagger. If anyone can test this with a human opponent and see if the opponent can poke out that would be great. I think this is important because it gives Skarlet 2 more hits into her blockstring (1st hit of F2 won't whiff on crouch block).

Somberness

Lights
Hey I just jump tested this and I'm not sure if I'm right but I believe Skarlet gets a free jump-in punch after a blocked EX Dagger. If anyone can test this with a human opponent and see if the opponent can poke out that would be great. I think this is important because it gives Skarlet 2 more hits into her blockstring (1st hit of F2 won't whiff on crouch block).
+21 up close but it obviously would be more from a greater distance, it would need to be at least +35 to be completely safe. AndI just updated the frame data thread. :)

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Hey sorry for the noob question, just picked up skarlet yday
but off a blocked ex dagger cancel
is for 2,1,2,1+2 guaranteed
cuz i've been hit out of it too many times
or is it just my bad execution?
Thank you.

ryublaze

Noob
Hey sorry for the noob question, just picked up skarlet yday
but off a blocked ex dagger cancel
is for 2,1,2,1+2 guaranteed
cuz i've been hit out of it too many times
or is it just my bad execution?
Thank you.
If the opponent stand blocks the EX Dagger then yes but if the opponent is crouch blocking then the F2 will miss.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
If the opponent stand blocks the EX Dagger then yes but if the opponent is crouch blocking then the F2 will miss.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Alright thanks lol
its been driving me nuts since yesterday
Didn't know if i could pressure like that or if i was just getting lucky lol
I started using b+1, 1, f+4 instead
But i'll keep using 2, 1, 2, 1+2 now :D
on crouch block i usually just cancel into red dash mix ups anyway

also one more thing
can you tell me if this is viable lol
when zoning with knife cancels
since you can't block after cancelling, i've been using d+3 to insta duck projectiles
it only works against high projectiles obviously but i've been having sucess so far
do you think teleporting could work too?
so like off a knife cancel you'll jump and insta air teleport.

ryublaze

Noob
Alright thanks lol
its been driving me nuts since yesterday
Didn't know if i could pressure like that or if i was just getting lucky lol
I started using b+1, 1, f+4 instead
But i'll keep using 2, 1, 2, 1+2 now :D
on crouch block i usually just cancel into red dash mix ups anyway

also one more thing
can you tell me if this is viable lol
when zoning with knife cancels
since you can't block after cancelling, i've been using d+3 to insta duck projectiles
it only works against high projectiles obviously but i've been having sucess so far
do you think teleporting could work too?
so like off a knife cancel you'll jump and insta air teleport.
I don't know about ducking after dash cancel. Last time I tried I got hit by the projectile. For teleporting, by the time you're able to react to a projectile and do a teleport the opponent can block it and punish you.

Vulcan_Hades gave me some good advice on dash cancels the other day. What you do is right after a dash cancel press Stance Change then press block. Skarlet's able to block faster this way.