What's new

Question BLOODY HOT! - The Skarlet Gameplay Discussion Thread

ryublaze

Noob
After a solid week of tirelessly using her in the lab, im beginning to get the hang of dagger cancels and red dashing after normals, and wow....I don't think there is a single character in the game as versatile as she is. I'd wager that no two Skarlet players are the same, as there is so many variations you can do on her strings, once you launched someone in the air.

She has quite a nice medium screen combo (can also be done in the corner where it is actually easier). jp, B2, back slash, dash, U3 air dagger, 13 dagger cancel, dash, F44 or 113....does about 43%.

Some of the stuff she can do, like B11F4, red dash upslash, F121, 1+2, red dash upslash, dash, F44, or F4 special. Most of her combos do, what....29% to 40%+? Even this simple one: jp, u3, 13, ex back slash, dash, F44 does 39% and that is so easy. Very nice for punishing things like a teleport happy player (does 3% less without the standing jp, obviously)

I've been trying to use her U3 air dagger a bit more in her combos for some variety.

Absolutely LOVING this character! I love how her Ex red dash literally plows through nearly everything. I also like how she is one of the few characters that can nearly full punish a blocked Mileena special.

She is hands down, the best female ninja in the game. Better than Mileena, Kitana and Jade imo.

I do find doing a dagger cancel, then dashing into a red dash slide tricky...for some reason she runs forward and goes to grab.

My current mains are CSZ, Kano and a little bit of Quan, but I can see this character becoming my new, favourite main.
It is actually 2, 3 not 1, 3.

Yea she has a lot of different combos but she does have BnBs too. U3, U3, Air Dagger, dash, 2, 3, Dagger Cancel/Red Dash Up Slash, dash, 2, 3, Red Slide (42-44%) is her teleport punisher.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
A smart and aggressive Mileena is tough for Skarlet to deal with. But I agree with you, Skarlet is the best female ninja in the game. I also believe that Skarlet is top 5 overall.
IMO, Skarlet is unfairly .... underrated. Some of nerfs she received in the last patch, made her looks as a low tier, but, she is not ....

You have a strong female character that can cancel her Up/Down slash or Red Dash inside/into any combo string or isolated poke; she has a deadly 50/50 option than can be incorporated in her end strings, and she has a good amount of moves (14 dial combos + 9 special moves), and her Ex Red Dash is very good.

She has a plenty of 25%-30% combos options, her corner game is deadly, and she can build meter very good with block strings. I'm pretty sure she's still underexplored by community at her full potential, and so, with time and taking part of more tournaments and competition, people will find out a great character on Skarlet .....

She is no doubt one of the most technical and hard to master character in the game, and criminally underestimated ..... there is no way a character with such amount of moves and able to cover every aspect of the game (air game, ground game, footsie, zoning, corner game, etc) with more or less efficiency, to be considered "low tier" .....

Skarlet only need to connects 3 combos sequences sucessfully, to win any match. She has lots of customized combos with combination of combos moves + special moves.

I think she'll probably be more valorized along the time, as tournament viable character.

:D

ryublaze

Noob
When I fought ZeroEffect I didn't even know he was the Mileena moderator lol. but if Ninj was able to beat Death's Mileena, then I'm sure it's not that lopsided of a matchup.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
When I fought ZeroEffect I didn't even know he was the Mileena moderator lol. but if Ninj was able to beat Death's Mileena, then I'm sure it's not that lopsided of a matchup.
To be fair to Death, I'm not convinced he knew the Skarlet matchup at all, whereas I'm rather experienced with the Mileena matchup. (Death, I'd be more than happy to do some more casual matches online to get you more experienced with the matchup :))

That said, Skarlet and Mileena have a very interesting zoning game with one another - they can both cross the map with ease, both have instant-airs with I believe equal recovery, if not slightly favoring Mileena, they can both teleport. Where Mileena does more ranged damage in one hit, Skarlet can cross the map and put Mileena into a 27-30% reset combo.

Rules for Skarlet: Never jump unless Mileena's in a position where she can't tele-kick.
Rules for Mileena: Never ball roll unless a hit is a certainty. Use telekicks to close distance as often as you use it to go for a hit. If you whiff a safe telekick (as in, Skarlet blocks you and your air-sai isn't low enough) Skarlet will catch you with a reset or full punish off of D1,DF1- (DF1- = dagger cancel).

Error

DF2+R2
To be fair to @whatisRMDeathstag?, I'm not convinced he knew the Skarlet matchup at all, whereas I'm rather experienced with the Mileena matchup. Like I said above, Skarlet can have trouble with a smartly aggressive Mileena who only uses specials safely and to close the gap. (@whatisRMDeathstag?, I'd be more than happy to do some more casual matches online to get you more experienced with the matchup :))

That said, Skarlet and Mileena have a very interesting zoning game with one another - they can both cross the map with ease, both have instant-airs with I believe equal recovery, if not slightly favoring Mileena, they can both teleport. Where Mileena does more ranged damage in one hit, Skarlet can cross the map and put Mileena into a 27-30% reset combo.

Rules for Skarlet: Never jump unless Mileena's in a position where she can't tele-kick.
Rules for Mileena: Never ball roll unless a hit is a certainty. Use telekicks to close distance as often as you use it to go for a hit. If you whiff a safe telekick (as in, Skarlet blocks you and your air-sai isn't low enough) Skarlet will catch you with a reset or full punish off of D1,DF1- (DF1- = dagger cancel).
I think it's Death

I'd wager that no two Skarlet players are the same, as there is so many variations you can do on her strings, once you launched someone in the air.
I couldn't agree more.

Death

Noob
To be fair to Death, I'm not convinced he knew the Skarlet matchup at all, whereas I'm rather experienced with the Mileena matchup. (Death, I'd be more than happy to do some more casual matches online to get you more experienced with the matchup :))

Yeah man id appreciate that. I had no clue with the MU. Im happy i was the only one who almost beat you. You seemed to body everyone in that tourny lol. And right now i have that MU at 5-5. But i feel like it could possible be in Mileenas favor.

The way I see it, Skarlet is like Viper from Marvel vs Capcom 3 series where she's top tier but nobody uses her due to her execution being some of the hardest in the game

Ninj

Yeah man id appreciate that. I had no clue with the MU. Im happy i was the only one who almost beat you. You seemed to body everyone in that tourny lol. And right now i have that MU at 5-5. But i feel like it could possible be in Mileenas favor.
I'd agree with 5-5...possibly 6-4 Mileena but I'd need more experience offline against her. Could also go 6-4 Skarlet; just not certain either way.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I'm worried if we can use her d1, f3. It's an overhead, skarlet is doing a kind of roll, it looks not that bad. Never seen someone using it. If the opponent expect a slide it's quite useful and maybe it can be used as an AA.

ryublaze

Noob
I'm worried if we can use her d1, f3. It's an overhead, skarlet is doing a kind of roll, it looks not that bad. Never seen someone using it. If the opponent expect a slide it's quite useful and maybe it can be used as an AA.
Idk B1, F3 is -15 on block and it's kind of hard to do on reaction for an anti-air.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hey, i wonder why peoples says mileena's tele-kick are hardly punishing trough combo, any vid to confirm this?
Skarlet 2, Up Slash proveen to be a great punisher starter.

ryublaze

Noob
+21 up close but it obviously would be more from a greater distance, it would need to be at least +35 to be completely safe. AndI just updated the frame data thread. :)
Hey Somberness are you sure it doesn't grant a safe jump? Can't Skarlet leave the ground right before EX Dagger is blocked? I am doing EX Dagger in this string which creates some distance for the EX Dagger to travel:

F2, 1, 2, 1+2, Red Dash, Up Slash, dash, 2, Dagger Toss (dash cancel), 1, 1, 2, EX Dagger (jump cancel)

EDIT: Nevermind I guess Auto block is weird in Training Mode. I manually changed the opponent to Always block and the opponent was able to jump before I landed.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Idk B1, F3 is -15 on block and it's kind of hard to do on reaction for an anti-air.
Did you try ? Because I just did (offline) ^^

d1, f3 is one of the best skarlet AA in close position imho ^^ d1 is ok and the f3 has a huuge hitbox lool. Also, opponents always think the roll gonna hit low x) (good shit for an overhead !)

Let me know anway after trying !

ryublaze

Noob
Did you try ? Because I just did (offline) ^^

d1, f3 is one of the best skarlet AA in close position imho ^^ d1 is ok and the f3 has a huuge hitbox lool. Also, opponents always think the roll gonna hit low x) (good shit for an overhead !)

Let me know anway after trying !
Yea I tried it but in my opinion I think she has better options. B1, F3 all together takes 29 frames (14 + 15). It does have good range though but if you see your opponent jump from that distance you might as well go for Red Dash Up Slash/Slide or Dagger Toss cancel into Red Dash Up Slash/Slide for full combo.

ryublaze

Noob
Skarlet's F2 whiffs on low hitbox characters but not on high hitbox characters so 1, 1, 2, EX Dagger cancel (crouch blocked), F2 on Mileena can get poked out of while Scorpion has to block F2. Not sure if this is known already. I might compile a list but I'm assuming it's the same as Sub-Zero's 2 after B1, 2, 1.

Altaire

Noob
Skarlet's F2 whiffs on low hitbox characters but not on high hitbox characters so 1, 1, 2, EX Dagger cancel (crouch blocked), F2 on Mileena can get poked out of while Scorpion has to block F2. Not sure if this is known already. I might compile a list but I'm assuming it's the same as Sub-Zero's 2 after B1, 2, 1.
I already addressed this months ago when I first posted my blockstring trap, but okay.

EX knife cancel into F2 1 2 is escapable for low hitbox characters. The solution is just to substitute B1 1 F4 in place of F2 1 2 1+2 for all of her block traps for 2% less damage.

ryublaze

Noob
I already addressed this months ago when I first posted my blockstring trap, but okay.

EX knife cancel into F2 1 2 is escapable for low hitbox characters. The solution is just to substitute B1 1 F4 in place of F2 1 2 1+2 for all of her block traps for 2% less damage.
I didn't see that anywhere on this forum so I'm just posting this for the people who don't know.

Hello, I've been playing with my brother's Kung Lao offline, and a major problem that I have is poking.

Kung Lao can poke me with d3, d1, all day, and all I can do (to my expense) is poke back with d1 or d3. d4 I know links to a red dash but it is too slow as a counter-poke, if I can get help it would be greatly appreciated.

ryublaze

Noob
Hello, I've been playing with my brother's Kung Lao offline, and a major problem that I have is poking.

Kung Lao can poke me with d3, d1, all day, and all I can do (to my expense) is poke back with d1 or d3. d4 I know links to a red dash but it is too slow as a counter-poke, if I can get help it would be greatly appreciated.
I don't have much experience in the KL matchup to safely give advice...

Don't poke with D1 since it's -13 on block. D3 is probably your best option, even though it's -7 on block and can get you spinned but KL will have to spin at the exact frame where you're vulnerable. You also got EX Red Dash if you really need to get out but you gotta be careful because a blocked slide will put you back into the poking situation again.

Sorry I couldn't be much help. Maybe Ninj or someone else will have better advice.

Ninj

I don't have much experience in the KL matchup to safely give advice...

Don't poke with D1 since it's -13 on block. D3 is probably your best option, even though it's -7 on block and can get you spinned but KL will have to spin at the exact frame where you're vulnerable. You also got EX Red Dash if you really need to get out but you gotta be careful because a blocked slide will put you back into the poking situation again.

Sorry I couldn't be much help. Maybe Ninj or someone else will have better advice.
Video guide should answer a lot of these questions coming up lately, but I will say this - you're looking at the wrong frame data. Skarlet's block advantage on her normals and strings (with the exceptions of 1,1,2 and F4,3) aren't important - her block cancel and hit cancel advantage is what's important.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Hey guys,

I started to master Skarlet as my another character. So far i did about 10h of play and I am doing alright in general. I am fallowing all these guides and tips. In most cases they cover pretty much what i need on start. I've been working on my custom combos and shit and its all been nice and cool.

Though I am facing a issue with Cyrax that the solution i have isnt really satisfying.

In UFG's guide we see a PUNISHER (b11f4) - this dosent work while Cyrax is teleporting and going straight into d1~NET!
This attack goes high and he literally fucks me up. I do poke, try to a d3~RD mixup but i was wondering if there is a string that would bring me into juggle while being safe on block.

For example as i go with Tsung i punish that teleport with f434 combo and that makes him limited to the teleportation.
We dont see Cyrax's everyday that do d1 into net. And even that is punishable its still huge risk to just sit down and block. What i mean is it could turn into command grab bullshit and mixup pressure between strings and ex Rag doll that brings sudden Death.

ryublaze

Noob
Hey guys,

I started to master Skarlet as my another character. So far i did about 10h of play and I am doing alright in general. I am fallowing all these guides and tips. In most cases they cover pretty much what i need on start. I've been working on my custom combos and shit and its all been nice and cool.

Though I am facing a issue with Cyrax that the solution i have isnt really satisfying.

In UFG's guide we see a PUNISHER (b11f4) - this dosent work while Cyrax is teleporting and going straight into d1~NET!
This attack goes high and he literally fucks me up. I do poke, try to a d3~RD mixup but i was wondering if there is a string that would bring me into juggle while being safe on block.

For example as i go with Tsung i punish that teleport with f434 combo and that makes him limited to the teleportation.
We dont see Cyrax's everyday that do d1 into net. And even that is punishable its still huge risk to just sit down and block. What i mean is it could turn into command grab bullshit and mixup pressure between strings and ex Rag doll that brings sudden Death.
D1, Dagger Toss (dash cancel), 2, 3, Dagger Toss (dash cancel), 2, 3, Red Dash, Red Slide

or what Verstande said. :p